2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Lamar supposedly had to win by 18 to get the 2 seed.  They scored with about 2 minutes left but failed on the 2 point conversion. However, the Huntsville item is reporting that Huntsville has the 4 seed, so maybe Lamar does have the 2 seed.  This is too confusing.  I see the point margins as Huntsville +3, Lamar +2, and Katy -5.  

Posted this in the Nac/MP thread but moving it here-my thoughts on Nacs season. 

I am disappointed with the win/loss and if we do this again next year I will be really frustrated. Nac was in every game, except lufkin game. I saw the changing of a program at its base. They have brought in some really good coaches who are teaching the kids how to be men not just athletes. Takes time to install a system, discipline in this team was much better then I have ever seen. 100 years of losing isn’t erased in one season!! Penalties/defense were better then ever. Turnovers were the downfall and not all were forced. 

JV didn’t win a game because the top 10-12 sophomores played varsity. Freshman was split into two teamsbecause we have so many kids, there is a lot speed and depth in that group. 8th grade team coming is huge and fast with another Jones kid on the way. 

Tough part is we could be heading south in the nextrealignment which will not help for sure.

If anyone wanted to see the 5A-D1 REGION 2 bracket. All are locked in I believe. 

W5. LONE STAR VS F6. MANS. LEGACY

R8. COLLEGE STATION VS T7. JOHN TYLER

W6. HIGHLAND PARK VS F5. WAKELAND  

R7. MESQUITE POTEET VS T8. MAGNOLIA

W7. MCKINNEY NORTH VS F8. MAGNOLIA WEST

R6. LANCASTER VS T5. THE COLONY 

W8. LUFKIN VS F7. TEXAS HIGH

R5. INDEPENDENCE VS T6. MANS.TIMBERVIEW

On 11/7/2019 at 11:42 AM, Nacwagons said:

For those of u that have DCTF, the predicted split of the east Texas schools for 2020 is the absolutely worst case scenario for Nac!!

i won’t post what is there I will leave that to Matt to make that decision but god I hope it doesn’t fall that way!!

competition and drive Time is brutal!!

Yeah I just saw that...That doesn't look fun for Nac.

If my math is correct, the closest projected district opponent is a 96 mile drive? 

12 minutes ago, burrows said:

If my math is correct, the closest projected district opponent is a 96 mile drive? 

Lufkin is used to it. I won’t have a problem staying south and playing those schools. Tougher opponents too. 

10 minutes ago, burrows said:

Yeah the travel is brutal for a district that doesn’t have piles of cash lying around!! Sharing a town with SFA takes every extra revenue penny away from NHS. 

I will say it should just be for football as they will have enough East Texas schools to have 2 full EAst Texas districts for other sports. Like we have now. 

1 minute ago, Nacwagons said:

Not worried about the teams as much as the travel.

I honestly don’t think those districts will happen, but it is what it is. We’re both in locations where the UIL can do whatever they want to us. Send us West, South or North..

I understand what you’re saying, but i have no sympathy for anyone that has to deal with traveling long distances. Lufkin has to deal with that every year now since leaving the old East Texas district. 

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

I honestly don’t think those districts will happen, but it is what it is. We’re both in locations where the UIL can do whatever they want to us. Send us West, South or North..

I understand what you’re saying, but i have no sympathy for anyone that has to deal with traveling long distances. Lufkin has to deal with that every year now since leaving the old East Texas district. 

Not asking for sympathy just stating that it’s the worst case scenario for Nac. I hate it for LP too, these school districts aren’t exactly rolling in cash and are already isolated enough from all the other schools. 

I hope the cutoff # s allow for two ET districts and keep Nac away from Houston. 

7 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Not asking for sympathy just stating that it’s the worst case scenario for Nac. I hate it for LP too, these school districts aren’t exactly rolling in cash and are already isolated enough from all the other schools. 

I hope the cutoff # s allow for two ET districts and keep Nac away from Houston. 

Gotcha 

3 minutes ago, cujoforlife said:

How is it looking? A general idea without posting what they have. 

Prediction is Texas high coming down and basically taking nacs spot in current district with Nac replacing cleveland in southern district. 

Ok, so the answer on the tiebreaker rules for District 10 is that they use “positive points” rather than “positive and negative points”.  So, Huntsville beat Lamar by 14, Katy beat Huntsville by 11, and Lamar beat Katy by 16.  So, Lamar gets 2 seed and then head to head Katy gets 3 seed over Huntsville.  Weird way to do it if you ask me.  Had “positive and negative” system been used (which I thought was pretty standard), then Huntsville would have been 2 seed.  Learned something new today.

• Thanks 2

Dumb playoff question time (keep in mind how long it's been for us): Is it a rule now that the higher seed in a playoff game gets to host it? Seeing several games that will be played at one team's home stadium. Including ours against Frisco at The Star (which I'm not objecting to, would love to see a game there, just curious about it.)

9 minutes ago, Greenville said:

Dumb playoff question time (keep in mind how long it's been for us): Is it a rule now that the higher seed in a playoff game gets to host it? Seeing several games that will be played at one team's home stadium. Including ours against Frisco at The Star (which I'm not objecting to, would love to see a game there, just curious about it.)

Yes rule went into effect last year, I think, 5a and up higher seed is the host for first round.

i think 6a started it during the previous realignment.

• Thanks 1

Roads to the State Championship:

Marshall: 
1- Huntsville
2- Crosby/FB Willowridge
3- A&M Consolidated/FB Marshall
4- Manvel, Barber's Hill, PNG
5- Tivy, CC Calallen, Weiss
6- Lubbock Cooper, Aledo, Red Oak, Frisco

Whitehouse:
1- Katy Paetow
2- Barbers Hill