2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

No easy roads for anyone TBH.  Not that you expect an easy road.

LP seems to have the most favorable road to a deep run.  

Here's to hoping for a great post season for all East Texas 5A.

No one really expecting much from any of us.... let's go prove them wrong!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

No easy roads for anyone TBH.  Not that you expect an easy road.

LP seems to have the most favorable road to a deep run.  

Here's to hoping for a great post season for all East Texas 5A.

No one really expecting much from any of us.... let's go prove them wrong!

If we had our best weapon on offense, I would say we should definitely be in the third or fourth round this season. Just going to enjoy the moment and hope for the best like I’ve done before every game this season. We still have a very good team and should probably be the darkhorse in the Region with maybe the winner of Lancaster/The Colony. Just hate we haven’t been able the last two seasons to be fully healthy in the playoffs with our key guys.

But good luck to everyone this week....other than of course Texas High lol

As far as Texas High dropping down to D-2.  Last February I spent a few days in Texarkana and talked with some folks I know in administration and the principle of THS.  They all told me back then there was NO WAY they were staying in that Mesquite district.  Getting back on trips at 2 and 3 in the morning had a lot of parents POed.  I remember being told "Whatever it took" to get back to east Texas.  I mentioned this on Smoaky and with some of the larger businesses having some large layoffs that they would drop to d-2.  I remember being mocked by Bordertown and that village idiot,  Sirius radio or whatever his stupid name is.  Guess what?  I was right.  This was in the works since they were placed in that district.  They may not admit to it but that is the way it was.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I feel bad for the East Texas schools that have to travel to the metroplex or to greater Houston for their district games (Lufkin, Lee, Lgv, Texas High).  The rivalries appear to be.....blah.  Fan interest seems lukewarm.  Crowds are sparse.  

The all East Texas districts just seem more entertaining.  The crowds are better.  Rivalries can be formed quickly.  

I don't blame THS wanting to be back in East Texas...but (IF TRUE), the lengths they are going through to get back here seem extreme.  

It will be interesting to see the impact of them going D2 will have on the current East Texas district.  We already have 8..... 9 wouldn't be abnormal.  But they could end up in the I-30 district with SS (and move MP up) and their travel wouldn't really improve from where it is now in D1.  

The only alignment that would benefit them would be with the I-20 schools Marshall, Hallsville, and PT....  then the question becomes what to do with Nac... jax... WH... and Lindale.

This next alignment could be interesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I feel bad for the East Texas schools that have to travel to the metroplex or to greater Houston for their district games (Lufkin, Lee, Lgv, Texas High).  The rivalries appear to be.....blah.  Fan interest seems lukewarm.  Crowds are sparse.  

The all East Texas districts just seem more entertaining.  The crowds are better.  Rivalries can be formed quickly.  

I don't blame THS wanting to be back in East Texas...but (IF TRUE), the lengths they are going through to get back here seem extreme.  

It will be interesting to see the impact of them going D2 will have on the current East Texas district.  We already have 8..... 9 wouldn't be abnormal.  But they could end up in the I-30 district with SS (and move MP up) and their travel wouldn't really improve from where it is now in D1.  

The only alignment that would benefit them would be with the I-20 schools Marshall, Hallsville, and PT....  then the question becomes what to do with Nac... jax... WH... and Lindale.

This next alignment could be interesting.

We played a decent Wichita Falls team Friday that needed a win to get in the playoffs...  they had 20 people buy tickets at the visitor gates...  20!  This is one of the few things I missed about Marshall football, even when we were bad, the crowds still supported us

5 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

We played a decent Wichita Falls team Friday that needed a win to get in the playoffs...  they had 20 people buy tickets at the visitor gates...  20!  This is one of the few things I missed about Marshall football, even when we were bad, the crowds still supported us

No doubt!!!  We still had nice crowds in 2011 and 2012 and we were abysmal....historically bad. 

Crowds have been weird this year.

This season weather has killed our crowds....esp at home.  It has either rained or been freezing every time we've been at home. 

We had fantastic crowds in Longview and Carthage.... even Hallsville.  But it was COLD in Jacksonville and Whitehouse.  

Gonna be COOOOOLD this Friday too.... low 30's.   

Can we get a Saturday afternoon playoff game?  lmao.

If you live in driving range, come on out to The Star in Frisco tomorrow (Thursday, kickoff at 7pm) for our game against Frisco. Our first playoff game in 16 years, and our first game ever inside an enclosed indoor stadium. (Texas Stadium doesn't count, it had a big hole in the roof.) We're gonna need all the support we can get.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, Slimbodine said:

As far as Texas High dropping down to D-2.  Last February I spent a few days in Texarkana and talked with some folks I know in administration and the principle of THS.  They all told me back then there was NO WAY they were staying in that Mesquite district.  Getting back on trips at 2 and 3 in the morning had a lot of parents POed.  I remember being told "Whatever it took" to get back to east Texas.  I mentioned this on Smoaky and with some of the larger businesses having some large layoffs that they would drop to d-2.  I remember being mocked by Bordertown and that village idiot,  Sirius radio or whatever his stupid name is.  Guess what?  I was right.  This was in the works since they were placed in that district.  They may not admit to it but that is the way it was.

Please show me where I mocked you on any thread. I found the thread I think you are referring (LE OPEN), but I never posted on the thread. If you are going to attribute sayings to people, please verify your facts. 

Disappointing showing for East Texas 5A.

Div II:
9-5A went (1-3) with WH winning and Marshall, PT, and Lindale losing
8-5A was (2-2) with Royse City and Ennis winning; Corsicana and Greenville lost

Div I: 
JT and Lufkin lost
Texas High with the win

(4-7) on the night..... a little skewed with the Luf/Texas High game counting as a win and a loss....not sure how else to list it.

Royse City gets Aledo.  Ouch.
Ennis gets Burleson Centennial.  Winnable.
Whitehouse gets Barber's Hill (10-1).  Winnable.  But not an easy draw by any means.
Texas High gets Frisco Indy (9-2).  Wibbabe.  Plus it's at Grimm. 

Good luck East Texas!!!

Carry the banner for those of us that came up short.

Since all of us are done except for Texas High and Whitehouse

What game(s), if any,  will you attend in week 2?

I had planned to go to see Rivercrest in Grand Prairie Friday night at the Gopher Bowl to make the other half happy....but work messed that up.

So it may be Texas High at home.

Any others you're eyeballing?

I liked it better when it was a foregone conclusion which game I went to....but... yeah. 

Triple header at AT&T looks like a good one for Saturday.  Hmmm.

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

If you head up this way for that, let me know. I'll definitely be there for the first two games that day.

Seriously considering it. 

I'll holler at you and let you know!

• Like 1

I have no idea what you know or don't know.  A couple days in Texarkana & people confiding to you about a "conspiracy" is a little hard to swallow.

Nobody here wants to be in a metroplex district.   But I said 4 years ago I thought we might be moving UP      A lot of layoffs and the explosion of PG towards open enrollment was not forseen back then.   If anybody really thinks Texarkana has the pull in UIL to manipulate what goes on......please     JUST PLEASE.     Nobody at UIL cares what Texas High wants or doesn't want

• Like 1

Get my name right crackpot, SiriusDogon7 or DogonSirius7, whatever you like!  I didn't have any ice storm babies back in 2000 so the enrollment had to go up!

22 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

I have no idea what you know or don't know.  A couple days in Texarkana & people confiding to you about a "conspiracy" is a little hard to swallow.

Nobody here wants to be in a metroplex district.   But I said 4 years ago I thought we might be moving UP      A lot of layoffs and the explosion of PG towards open enrollment was not forseen back then.   If anybody really thinks Texarkana has the pull in UIL to manipulate what goes on......please     JUST PLEASE.     Nobody at UIL cares what Texas High wants or doesn't want

Yyyyyyyyyeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh, we are not Highland Park East...

My guess is Hallsville.  

From what I hear... anyone will have a hard time winning at football in Hallsville. 

Too many (Dad’s) hands in the cookie jar.

And football isn’t the priority sport in Hallsville. 

———————

Only other possibilities would be Lufkin or Jacksonville.  

LP isn’t likely. 

Jacksonville is a longshot. 

Unless things have gone sour at Sulphur Springs.  Been rough lately for them. But... the guy has a state championship. 

MP?   After so much improvement? 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

My guess is Hallsville. 

———————

Only other possibilities would be Lufkin or Jacksonville.  

LP isn’t likely. 

Jacksonville is a longshot. 

Unless things have gone sour at Sulphur Springs.  Been rough lately for them. But... the guy has a state championship. 

MP?   After so much improvement? 

I'm pretty convinced it's John Tyler.

Ricklan's daughter graduating this year, they're coming off a horrendous 3-8 season, missed the post season 2 of the last 3 years (one in 5A). Last season's regular season was beyond mediocre for JT standards. He made a lot of cryptic tweets two years ago that he'd be leaving after his daughter left, this would be that time.

Could be wrong, but I really think it's him.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread