2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

10 minutes ago, VonG said:

I rode by Lee last week and I just rode past JT. I will say Tisd got this right. They made sure the the tax payers of Tisd are getting their money's worth. The best facilities with the latest technology to go with it. The building's are amazing. They definitely have that college look because of how the building's are designed. I can't wait to to see the finished product. 

I think I read that both schools are getting indoor practice facilities too.

Hopefully we can get some new students to go with the new facilities. When I say new students. I'm talking about the one's that already live in Tyler but they go to the private and charter schools. Get some of them back in Tisd.

59 minutes ago, VonG said:

Hopefully we can get some new students to go with the new facilities. When I say new students. I'm talking about the one's that already live in Tyler but they go to the private and charter schools. Get some them back in Tisd.

im sure they will...but they might not be at the school on the NW Loop...lol

May as well start it.... district basketball is still a month away.  

Realignment talk.

Particularly 5A Div II.

My predictions........

District 8:  Texas High, Royse City, Greenville, North Forney, Terrell, Sulphur Springs, Forney, Mount Pleasant

District 9:  Hallsville, Marshall, Pine Tree, Jacksonville, Whitehouse, Nacogdoches, Lindale

11 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

May as well start it.... district basketball is still a month away.  

Realignment talk.

Particularly 5A Div II.

My predictions........

District 8:  Texas High, Royse City, Greenville, North Forney, Terrell, Sulphur Springs, Forney, Mount Pleasant

District 9:  Hallsville, Marshall, Pine Tree, Jacksonville, Whitehouse, Nacogdoches, Lindale

I thought I saw North Forney is high enough for D1, with Crandall and mesquite Poteet both coming to D2. Going to interesting realignment for sure.

What we don't know
Does Texas High drop to Div II?
Does Royse City move up to Div I?
Does North Forney move up to Div I?
Does Kaufman move up to Div I?

I think we see Ennis and Corsicana slide in to a south Dallas/Arlington district or head down the I-35 corridor.  Opening the door for THS to move in.  I think if THS drops, MP will go back north to join the other I-30 schools.   They have longer and stronger rivalries (and shorter drives) with Texarkana, Sulphur Springs, and Greenville.  Royse City should be an instant rivalry too.

Lots of changes possible for the North district because of so many teams possibly moving up or down from other divisions.  Curious to know if there are some 4A Div I teams that could be moving up in that area as well.  Anyone's guess how the North district ends up looking.  But I like my prediction.

UNLESS they send Hallsville, Marshall, and PT back north like we have in the past.... I don't see the South district changing much.  I don't think we go back to that district again though because the I-30 corridor is loaded with 5A Div II schools.  No reason to not follow that path geographically.  9-5A could possibly lose MP.  Doesn't look like anyone from the district is dropping down to 4A Div I....... and no one appears to be moving up from 4A Div I from what I hear unless Kaufman does (but is a longshot).  As I mentioned above....the biggest change would be if PT, Marshall, and Hallsville get sent back north, which I honestly don't see happening.

7 minutes ago, bordertown said:

Texas High needs to be in an 8 team district for scheduling purposes.

Oh trust me.... I understand.  Scheduling has always been a problem for us.

There was a reason we had those games all the way in Monroe Vs. Ouachita and Neville.  Hell...we even had Forth Smith Arkansas before.... went to the Hootens kickoff in Little Rock once.   Shadow Creek?  Cypress Creek?  Yeah.... it's always been tough when you are a border town like Texarkana and Marshall.

No reason for metroplex schools to drive all the way out to East Texas for a non-district game when they have  a hundred of schools within 20 miles of their campus.

If the rumors of Lee and Longview being dropped off the schedule come true...I'm interested to see who will take their places.  They are both short drives.  Knowing our struggles in scheduling, this could get interesting.  Although.... I think picking up Carthage was an outstanding choice.  

If we don't end up in Texarkana's district.... I'd love to see a non-district game born.  Esp since we are in different regions.  Only way we rematch would be in a state championship, which at this moment doesn't seem likely.

Other choices would be Ennis, Lufkin.... tons of 5A schools to consider from the Dallas area.....more than I can name really.

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Oh trust me.... I understand.  Scheduling has always a problem for us.

There was a reason we had those games all the way in Monroe Vs. Ouachita and Neville.  Hell...we even had Forth Smith Arkansas before.... went to the Hootens kickoff in Little Rock once.   Shadow Creek?  Cypress Creek?  Yeah.... it's always been tough when you are a border town like Texarkana and Marshall.

If we don't end up in Texarkana's district.... I'd love to see a non-district game born.

Since we can only beat the Lobos once a decade on the gridiron.... we have to get our shots in basketball and baseball it seems lmao.

Mavs beat Longview last night 62-41. 

Marshall is now 3-0.  They beat Kilgore on Tuesday I believe. 

Not sure if the football players have joined them yet.  

They face Lindale on Monday (they aren't in our district for any sport but football).

District starts Jan 3.... so still a long way to go.

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

It ain't shade when it's true.

Love Karma!

Way to go Dragons! LMAOOOOOOOO

I’m sorry I don’t know but what was so bad about Mathis ?? Didn’t Marshall have success on the field ? I’m sorry I don’t believe he was the worst coach y’all ever had.

4 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

I’m sorry I don’t know but what was so bad about Mathis ?? Didn’t Marshall have success on the field ? I’m sorry I don’t believe he was the worst coach y’all ever had.

Integrity. 
period. 

23 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

What we don't know
Does Texas High drop to Div II?
Does Royse City move up to Div I?
Does North Forney move up to Div I?
Does Kaufman move up to Div I?

I think we see Ennis and Corsicana slide in to a south Dallas/Arlington district or head down the I-35 corridor.  Opening the door for THS to move in.  I think if THS drops, MP will go back north to join the other I-30 schools.   They have longer and stronger rivalries (and shorter drives) with Texarkana, Sulphur Springs, and Greenville.  Royse City should be an instant rivalry too.

Lots of changes possible for the North district because of so many teams possibly moving up or down from other divisions.  Curious to know if there are some 4A Div I teams that could be moving up in that area as well.  Anyone's guess how the North district ends up looking.  But I like my prediction.

UNLESS they send Hallsville, Marshall, and PT back north like we have in the past.... I don't see the South district changing much.  I don't think we go back to that district again though because the I-30 corridor is loaded with 5A Div II schools.  No reason to not follow that path geographically.  9-5A could possibly lose MP.  Doesn't look like anyone from the district is dropping down to 4A Div I....... and no one appears to be moving up from 4A Div I from what I hear unless Kaufman does (but is a longshot).  As I mentioned above....the biggest change would be if PT, Marshall, and Hallsville get sent back north, which I honestly don't see happening.

What was Kaufman’s numbers?

12 hours ago, cujoforlife said:

What was Kaufman’s numbers?

Not sure I’ve seen it. Just saw talk in another thread about them moving up. 

I watched them play Lindale on Thursday of week one and they were pretty bad. Not sure what kind of season they had. 

Curious to know when the UIL will announce the cutoff numbers. Seems like it was in November back in 2017. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread