2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Was discussing this last night with a few other fans.....

Can you ever remember a season with more "bad weather" than this season???

I can only recall three "good weather games" this season for Marshall:  Longview, Carthage, and Hallsville.  And ALL of our home games had bad weather of some kind.

Every other game was either raining during, wet because it had been raining, or cold, .... or my favorite.... cold and wet.

Our game with Tyler Lee was delayed over 2 hours for lightning and rained throughout (home)
Longview and Carthage had great weather (both on the road)
Lindale was wet..never rained during the game, but everything was wet. (home)
Hallsville was nice (on the road)
Mount Pleasant was played in the chilly and damp/mist (home)
Jacksonville was COLD. (road)
Nacogdoches COLD AND RAIN (home)
Whitehouse Chilly upper 40's (Away)
Pine Tree COOOOOOLD low 40's (home)
Huntsville COLD in upper 30's 

I just can't ever remember having a season where we never had nice weather at a home game.  No doubt affected attendance, especially the nights it was raining.

Never really remember so many unpleasant weather nights on Fridays in general for one season.  

Just wondered if any one else noticed it this season..... kinda miserable! 

58 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Was discussing this last night with a few other fans.....

Can you ever remember a season with more "bad weather" than this season???

I can only recall three "good weather games" this season for Marshall:  Longview, Carthage, and Hallsville.  And ALL of our home games had bad weather of some kind.

Every other game was either raining during, wet because it had been raining, or cold, .... or my favorite.... cold and wet.

Our game with Tyler Lee was delayed over 2 hours for lightning and rained throughout (home)
Longview and Carthage had great weather (both on the road)
Lindale was wet..never rained during the game, but everything was wet. (home)
Hallsville was nice (on the road)
Mount Pleasant was played in the chilly and damp/mist (home)
Jacksonville was COLD. (road)
Nacogdoches COLD AND RAIN (home)
Whitehouse Chilly upper 40's (Away)
Pine Tree COOOOOOLD low 40's (home)
Huntsville COLD in upper 30's 

I just can't ever remember having a season where we never had nice weather at a home game.  No doubt affected attendance, especially the nights it was raining.

Never really remember so many unpleasant weather nights on Fridays in general for one season.  

Just wondered if any one else noticed it this season..... kinda miserable! 

Oh yea....i noticed it and made a few posts about the weather on here and the Lp forum. Never seen it like that before. And then of course it was warmer the week Lufkin wasn’t playing lol 🤦🏾‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Oh yea....i noticed it and made a few posts about the weather on here and the Lp forum. Never seen it like that before. And then of course it was warmer the week Lufkin wasn’t playing lol 🤦🏾‍♂️

I was on a cruise the week we were off....but it rained while I was gone....so I didn't miss much...lmao.

But I was in Carthage the night before I got on the boat and it was a perfect night....minus the score. LOL.

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Not sure I’ve seen it. Just saw talk in another thread about them moving up. 

I watched them play Lindale on Thursday of week one and they were pretty bad. Not sure what kind of season they had. 

Curious to know when the UIL will announce the cutoff numbers. Seems like it was in November back in 2017. 

I heard the first week in December.

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Kaufman turned in 1189, Lindale 1207

All depends how much the number increases from last alignment. 

Last time 5A Div II cutoffs were 1150 – 1839

If it stays the same or doesn’t increase much, Kaufman is a lock to move. 

If it goes up by 50.... looks like they stay. Hard to predict how much it will change since this is the first alignment since the split.  Before the split the bottom number would increase anywhere from 50-100.  Splitting it may slow that down. 

We shall see. 

48 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

All depends how much the number increases from last alignment. 

Last time 5A Div II cutoffs were 1150 – 1839

If it stays the same or doesn’t increase much, Kaufman is a lock to move. 

If it goes up by 50.... looks like they stay. Hard to predict how much it will change since this is the first alignment since the split.  Before the split the bottom number would increase anywhere from 50-100.  Splitting it may slow that down. 

We shall see. 

Where would they move to? They’re already 5a D2.

On 11/21/2019 at 1:17 PM, bordertown said:

Refresh your memory on what you said and still awaiting a retraction on attributing something I never did.

Sir,  finally looked up this conversation and I was wrong.  It was TXK85 who made the comment.  You have my sincere apology.  I should have been more careful before posting.  Again,  sorry to upset you.

1 hour ago, CMurder1 said:

The UIL will announce this week the snapshot cutoff numbers. We should know sometime this week.

So many things that can change the landscape....

IMHO...the most seismic being the placement of Texas High.  If they drop to D-2, they immediately become a district champion threat no matter what district they are placed in (West I-30 or South district).   

Of course...... if Longview drops to 5A-D1 is a huge change too.  Will make the road to the playoffs and the district title much harder not only for John Tyler, but Texas High if they remain up... and the rest of the district.  And oddly.... Longview would remain in a metroplex district minus JT and THS.  So travel wise... no real change for them.

How much does 9-5A change?  With THS up in the air....RC maybe moving up..... then Ennis and Corsicana possibly going South or West..... along with Kaufman going 4A-D-1 makes this all very cloudy.  

Could East Texas go to ONE 5A-D2 district instead of two?  The possibility of a 9 team district could be looming... which makes non-district scheduling interesting.  If everyone in East Texas ends up in the same district... that means they either play down (4A) or they play up (5A DI or 6A).  

Letting old series go for new series I think will be another big talking point this off season.  Will be interesting.

Getting these numbers this week is the first step.

I am very concerned about going south for football!!! That will add a lot of drive time to our team every team is over an hour and half from us!! Lufkin has done it for years and I hate that too!! The split has really killed LP from forming a district rival because of the distance. The teams will be about the same as far as our record.  The other sports would most likely stay with East Texas and split into 2-districts adding Longview to the current district splits.

Staying North and having a 9 team district may be the only way we can get out of playing LP!!! 

This is the projected southern district for Nac. 

1 Kingwood Park

2 A&M Cons

3 Huntsville

4 Bryan Rudder

5 Montgomery

6 Montgomery Lake Creek

7 Nac

I agree..... I'd prefer to see LP and Nac stay in East Texas districts..... but for now.... seems like that ship has sailed.

Nac has a better chance of remaining IN ETX because there are so many 5A-D2 schools in East Texas that can be grouped together.

LP is tougher because of geography AND a lack of East Texas 5A D1 schools.  They are forced to travel no matter where they go.... so South makes the most sense.  

Ideally.... I wish we could have a 5A D1 district...but we'd need Lee to drop and someone from 5A-D2 to move up... and no one is really close except Nac lol.  I think MP is next...but it's not really that close for them.

East Texas 5A D1 district: 
Texas High
Longview
Lee
John Tyler
Nacogdoches
Lufkin

We really need MP or Hallsville, or WH to move up...but I don't see any of that happening anytime soon.

East Texas 5A D2 district:
Mount Pleasant
Sulphur Springs
Marshall
Hallsville
Marshall
Pine Tree
Jacksonville
Lindale

Those are perfect world alignments.... too many things need to happen for those to happen.  Like Lee's enrollment dropping, Nac's growing, and someone else jumping up to D1.  None of these are happening in the next 4 years or so I don't suspect.  

Soooo..... will likely be more status quo for LP.  And of course Longview/JT/Texarkana will still be in the metroplex.

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree..... I'd prefer to see LP and Nac stay in East Texas districts..... but for now.... seems like that ship has sailed.

Nac has a better chance of remaining IN ETX because there are so many 5A-D2 schools in East Texas that can be grouped together.

LP is tougher because of geography AND a lack of East Texas 5A D1 schools.  They are forced to travel no matter where they go.... so South makes the most sense.  

Ideally.... I wish we could have a 5A D1 district...but we'd need Lee to drop and someone from 5A-D2 to move up... and no one is really close except Nac lol.  I think MP is next...but it's not really that close for them.

Texas High
Longview
Lee
John Tyler
Nacogdoches
Lufkin

.  Like Lee's enrollment dropping, Nac's growing, and someone else jumping up to D1. 

Can I be the first to Vote NO!!!  I agree, I think this is the only way LP comes up but No just NO!!!:)

The smaller schools around Nac are growing faster then Nac. Nacs # is down 50 from last count. Unless we go on 4-5 year run of success or a huge industrial plant opens, we won't see a huge change in school size.

36 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

I think Kaufman, Lindale and Texas High are the ones that decide how this goes!! Maybe even Mesquite Poteet to some extent.

I think there are ton of variables....some we haven't even mentioned that could affect all this.

Namely..... who drops/goes up to find a place for Corsicana and Ennis.  Terrell?  Forney?  Greenville?  Sulp Springs?  Royse City?  West Mesquite?  Poteet?  Texas High?  Longview?  

So many moving parts.  

9 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I think there are ton of variables....some we haven't even mentioned that could affect all this.

Namely..... who drops/goes up to find a place for Corsicana and Ennis.  Terrell?  Forney?  Greenville?  Sulp Springs?  Royse City?  West Mesquite?  Poteet?  Texas High?  Longview?  

So many moving parts.  

Very true!!

11 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Texas High
Longview
Lee
John Tyler
Nacogdoches
Lufkin

We really need MP or Hallsville, or WH to move up...but I don't see any of that happening anytime soon.

East Texas 5A D2 district:
Mount Pleasant
Sulphur Springs
Marshall
Hallsville
Marshall
Pine Tree
Jacksonville
Lindale

Those are perfect world alignments.... too many things need to happen for those to happen.  Like Lee's enrollment dropping, Nac's growing, and someone else jumping up to D1.  None of these are happening in the next 4 years or so I don't suspect.  

Soooo..... will likely be more status quo for LP.  And of course Longview/JT/Texarkana will still be in the metroplex.

Whitehouse would have to take more kids from Lee for lee to drop and you whitehouse to more up.

1 hour ago, cujoforlife said:

Whitehouse would have to take more kids from Lee for lee to drop and you whitehouse to more up.

Not necessarily. Whitehouse isd is growing very rapidly and Whitehouse city is also experiencing slow growth. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread