2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

i am just as interested in what it does to the secondary sports in East Texas. Volleyball, basketball and softball will be interesting split North and South.  Adding Royce City and maybe Longview to the Northern 5A.

Then Lufkin and JT to the South 5a.

I also have a vested interest into swimming, a change in regions would be big for all of the East Texas 5a schools, we currently swim in the college st regional an it is the fastest in the state by a wide margin. A realignment into the Dallas regional would be big for our local swimmers. 

Texas High-Dallas Regional

Marshall-Dallas Regional

Mt Pleasant-Dallas Regional

Longview-Dallas Regional

Pine Tree-Dallas Regional

Hallsville-Dallas Regional

John Tyler-Dallas

Nac-College St

Lufkin-College St

Whitehouse-College St

Also have new Diana, Mt P Chapel Hill-also go to dallas region from northern distirct. Henderson goes south with Nac to College St.

I posted this same thought in the basketball thread as well.

District Play starts tonight for the boys.

Girls Schedule

LP @ Nac- both are 2-0 going into this game-LPs record is expected-Nac's a bit of a surprise. 

Jax @ Marshall-Jax was the 2nd place team last year. 

PT @ JT

WH @ Hallsville

Boys Schedule

LP @ Nac-These teams played 3 time LY with the visitor winning all 3 games-Both teams return most of last years team-Co District Champs LY. 

Jax @ Marshall

PT @ JT

WH @ Hallsville

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 1
Nacogdoches beat Lufkin 70-47
Marshall beat Jacksonville 64-55
John Tyler beat Pine Tree 69-64
Hallsville Vs. Whitehouse 59-49

The much anticipated game between Nac and LP ended up being a lopsided affair for the Dragons as they made easy work of their rivals down Hwy 59.  Marshall lead all night Vs. Jacksonville to get a big home win to open district.  John Tyler slipped by PT in a thriller to open district play. Hallsville beat Whitehouse on the road.

Overall records could be WAYYY off due to all the tourneys over the holiday.

Standings
Nacogdoches (1-0) , (15-7)
Marshall (1-0) , (11-7)
Hallsville (1-0) , (13-9)
John Tyler (1-0) , (3-6)
Lufkin (0-1) , (12-5)
Jacksonville (0-1) , (3-6)
Pine Tree (0-1), (10-11)
Whitehouse (0-1), (5-10)

---------------------------------------------------
16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 1:
Lufkin beat Hallsville 43-42
Jacksonville beat John Tyler 48-28
Nacogdoches beat Marshall 42-29
Pine Tree beat Whitehouse 26-22

Game 2:
Lufkin beat Marshall  53-24
Jacksonville beat Hallsville 62-40
Whitehouse beat John Tyler 41-38
Nacogdoches beat Pine Tree 34-20

Game 3:
Lufkin beat Nac 35-29
Jacksonville beat Marshall 69-33
John Tyler beat Pine Tree 31-28
Whitehouse beat Hallsville FINAL SCORE???

Standings
Lufkin 3-0
Jacksonville 3-0
Nacogdoches 2-1
Whitehouse 2-1
John Tyler 1-2
Pine Tree 1-2
Marshall 0-3
Hallsville 0-3
---------------------------------------------------
15-5A girls start district play on Jan 10th
15-5A boys start district play on Jan 17th

That district has 6 teams instead of 8.....so they get a later start.

Nac. pretty much dominated from start to finish!! LP made a run to start the second half to cut it deficit to 7, Nac went on a 12-2 run to push it back to 17. It didn't get much closer after that. 

Unexpected outcome for sure!! Nac looks better than they were last year!! Good start to district.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:30 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Intrigued to see how the district looks next season as well with realignment. Didn't realize T High/Mt Pleasant/S Springs wasn't in the district with y'all.

I'm guessing Lufkin will go south  (same as their football district) and Longview will take their place....unless UIL forms a 9 team district for all non-football sports.

Nacogdoches
Marshall
Hallsville 
John Tyler
Lufkin/Longview
Jacksonville 
Pine Tree 
Whitehouse 

We would likely meet Texas High, MP, SS, Royse City, Forney, Princeton, district etc in the first round of the playoffs.

I had someone ask me to post my predictions for 5A Div II football districts that affect East Texas programs.... so here is MY prediction.  Take it with a grain of salt.  May be 100% correct....could be 100% wrong.

District 5
Aledo
Everman
Burleson
Cleburne
Joshua
Waco University
Arlington Seguin
Mansfield Timberview
Grapevine

With Burleson Centennial and Midlothian moving up to 5A-D1, it makes perfect room for Timberview and Grapevine to slide into their slots.  The only variation I can see of this would have Waco heading down the I-30 corridor.  Other than that.... this district looks pretty solid and outside of University.... geographically pleasing to the fans.

District 6
Dallas Conrad
Dallas Hillcrest
Dallas Jefferson
Dallas Kimball
Dallas Seagoville
Dallas Adamson
Dallas South Oak Cliff
Dallas Spruce
Carrollton Creekview

Red Oak is moving up to 5A-D1, and Hillcrest and Carrollton Creekview move up from 4A Div I.  Geographically a pretty pleasing district.  

District 7
Frisco
Frisco Lebanon
Frisco Liberty
Frisco Memorial
Lake Dallas
Denison
Lucas-Lovejoy
Princeton
Prosper Rock Hill

With Denton Braswell moving to 6A, and Reedy going to 5A-Div I, it makes room for Frisco Liberty, who will drop from D-1.  Prosper Rock Hill will make its sports debut in 2020.  Again.... it's a geographically pleasing district too.

District 8
Royse City
Sulphur Springs
Greenville
North Forney
Forney
Ennis
Mesquite Poteet
Corsicana
Crandall

With Terrell and Kaufman both dropping to 4A Div I, Crandall and Mesquite Poteet neatly takes their slots.  This district is spread out more than the above districts, but overall it works pretty well geographically.  

District 9
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Jacksonville
Mount Pleasant
Texas High
Nacogdoches
Whitehouse

With Lindale dropping to 4A-D1, it makes sense that Texas High will take their slot as they drop fro 5A-Div I.  It's not a pretty alignment for Texas High with long drives to Nacogdoches (149 miles), Jacksonville (145 miles) and Whitehouse (141 miles).  MP will be their lone neighbor.  Marshall (72 miles), Hallsville (85 miles),  and Pine Tree (90 miles) will be their next closest games.  

Odd to think about Texas High being in region III given the geography of most of the regions..... but I can't see Texas High or MP joining their I-30 brethren.  It's just too crowded.  The deep East Texas district is the only one that doesn't have nine teams in it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I'm guessing Lufkin will go south  (same as their football district) and Longview will take their place....unless UIL forms a 9 team district for all non-football sports.

Nacogdoches
Marshall
Hallsville 
John Tyler
Lufkin/Longview
Jacksonville 
Pine Tree 
Whitehouse 

We would likely meet Texas High, MP, SS, Royse City, Forney, Princeton, district etc in the first round of the playoffs.

I'm intrigued to see how this turns out. I wouldn't be shocked to see them do what they did the last time Longview dropped to 5A with a north ET district and south ET district.

Why would they split up Lufkin/Nac/Jacksonville instead of T High/Mount Pleasant/Sulphur Springs?

Where Lufkin goes, Nac (at the very least) goes IMO. Will be interesting for sure.

1 minute ago, LoboFan07 said:

I'm intrigued to see how this turns out. I wouldn't be shocked to see them do what they did the last time Longview dropped to 5A with a north ET district and south ET district.

Why would they split up Lufkin/Nac/Jacksonville instead of T High/Mount Pleasant/Sulphur Springs?

Where Lufkin goes, Nac (at the very least) goes IMO. Will be interesting for sure.

When we had two East Texas districts before..... each of those districts only had 6-7 teams a piece in them.  We are looking at two districts that could have 8-9 a piece now because of all the "new" 5A schools near East Texas areas (I-30 and I-20 corridor).  These schools have to go somewhere.

With all the 5A schools down the I-30 corridor (Princeton, Royse City, etc)..... I think we will see one HUGE East Texas district (Longview, JT, Marshall, Halls, etc)  and another with just a couple of them (Texas High, MP).... unless they make a 10 team East Texas district.

They will probably have to send someone packing..... Lufkin seems to make the most sense... since they can go south. And you're right... Nac might follow them... but it may not be as necessary. 

I hope we get two East Texas districts.  But not sure if it'll happen.  

If they can split up MP and SS..... no reason to think they wouldn't split up Lufkin and Nac.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

I had someone ask me to post my predictions for 5A Div II football districts that affect East Texas programs.... so here is MY prediction.  Take it with a grain of salt.  May be 100% correct....could be 100% wrong.

District 5
Aledo
Everman
Burleson
Cleburne
Joshua
Waco University
Arlington Seguin
Mansfield Timberview
Grapevine

With Burleson Centennial and Midlothian moving up to 5A-D1, it makes perfect room for Timberview and Grapevine to slide into their slots.  The only variation I can see of this would have Waco heading down the I-30 corridor.  Other than that.... this district looks pretty solid and outside of University.... geographically pleasing to the fans.

District 6
Dallas Conrad
Dallas Hillcrest
Dallas Jefferson
Dallas Kimball
Dallas Seagoville
Dallas Adamson
Dallas South Oak Cliff
Dallas Spruce
Carrollton Creekview

Red Oak is moving up to 5A-D1, and Hillcrest and Carrollton Creekview move up from 4A Div I.  Geographically a pretty pleasing district.  

District 7
Frisco
Frisco Lebanon
Frisco Liberty
Frisco Memorial
Lake Dallas
Denison
Lucas-Lovejoy
Princeton
Prosper Rock Hill

With Denton Braswell moving to 6A, and Reedy going to 5A-Div I, it makes room for Frisco Liberty, who will drop from D-1.  Prosper Rock Hill will make its sports debut in 2020.  Again.... it's a geographically pleasing district too.

District 8
Royse City
Sulphur Springs
Greenville
North Forney
Forney
Ennis
Mesquite Poteet
Corsicana
Crandall

With Terrell and Kaufman both dropping to 4A Div I, Crandall and Mesquite Poteet neatly takes their slots.  This district is spread out more than the above districts, but overall it works pretty well geographically.  

District 9
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Jacksonville
Mount Pleasant
Texas High
Nacogdoches
Whitehouse

With Lindale dropping to 4A-D1, it makes sense that Texas High will take their slot as they drop fro 5A-Div I.  It's not a pretty alignment for Texas High with long drives to Nacogdoches (149 miles), Jacksonville (145 miles) and Whitehouse (141 miles).  MP will be their lone neighbor.  Marshall (72 miles), Hallsville (85 miles),  and Pine Tree (90 miles) will be their next closest games.  

Odd to think about Texas High being in region III given the geography of most of the regions..... but I can't see Texas High or MP joining their I-30 brethren.  It's just too crowded.  The deep East Texas district is the only one that doesn't have nine teams in it.

Whitehouse is definitely not 141 miles from Texarkana. Well if you go through Marshall it is. Hwy 155 is the shortest and quickest way to go.

1 hour ago, VonG said:

Whitehouse is definitely not 141 miles from Texarkana. Well if you go through Marshall it is. Hwy 155 is the shortest and quickest way to go.

125 miles according to mapquest. 

The secondary sports Royce City could slide with Forney,  Mesquite Poteet and Crandall those communities are as close as them going the other way.

Pulling Royce City out of east texas could still allow for 2 ET Districts. It is juts a question of what how they split it

You have 3-4 team clusters to split-Question is how do you split?? TH, MP, SS, Greenville typically don't get broken up. Nac, Lufkin,WH, Jax don't get broken up and Marshall, PT and Hallsville are always clustered together. With Longview coming in do they cluster Longview and PT together in one of the districts? That would leave Marshall and Hallsville together in the other. I think JT goes south with WH-So it could look like this. 

North

1.TX H.

2.MT P

3.Greenville

4.SS

5.Marshall

6.Hallsville

South 

1.Nac

2.Lufkin

3.Jax

4.WH

5.JT

6.Longview

7.PT

Royce City could actually still fit in that Northern group. 

I have a hard time wrapping my head around Marshall, Hallsville, PT, and Longview ending up separated in any way. 

Hard to separate then when they are all about 20 miles apart.  Greenville... is 120 miles. 

Those four are likely grouped together... and can go either North or South.  Can’t imagine them being separated. 

8 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

The secondary sports Royce City could slide with Forney,  Mesquite Poteet and Crandall those communities are as close as them going the other way.

Pulling Royce City out of east texas could still allow for 2 ET Districts. It is juts a question of what how they split it

You have 3-4 team clusters to split-Question is how do you split?? TH, MP, SS, Greenville typically don't get broken up. Nac, Lufkin,WH, Jax don't get broken up and Marshall, PT and Hallsville are always clustered together. With Longview coming in do they cluster Longview and PT together in one of the districts? That would leave Marshall and Hallsville together in the other. I think JT goes south with WH-So it could look like this. 

North

1.TX H.

2.MT P

3.Greenville

4.SS

5.Marshall

6.Hallsville

South 

1.Nac

2.Lufkin

3.Jax

4.WH

5.JT

6.Longview

7.PT

Royce City could actually still fit in that Northern group. 

Royse City

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I have a hard time wrapping my head around Marshall, Hallsville, PT, and Longview ending up separated in any way. 

Hard to separate then when they are all about 20 miles apart.  Greenville... is 120 miles. 

Those four are likely grouped together... and can go either North or South.  Can’t imagine them being separated. 

To an extent I agree but there is going to be a dividing line somewhere. Greenville, SS, MP, TH-Longview, PT, Marshall and Hallsville- Nac, Jax, WH, LP and JT- are all geographically tied to each other. 

JT is kind of the middle to the 2 groups.  15 Miles to WH-43 Miles to Longview but 30 Miles to Jax. 

Wh to LP=78 Miles, to Nac=64 Miles, to Jax=21 Miles to JT=15  Miles

Nac to LP=24 Miles, to Jax =49 miles, to WH=64 miles, to JT=78 miles

Jax to WH=21 Miles, to JT=30 Miles, to Nac=49 Miles, to LP=57 Miles

Hallsville to Marshall=18 Miles, to Longview=11 Miles, to PT=13 Miles

Marshall to Hallsville=18 Miles, to Longview = 29 Miles, to PT=31 Miles

Longview to Hallsville=11 Miles, to Marshall =29 Miles to PT=9 Miles

PT to Hallsville=13 Miles, to Marshall=31 Miles, to Longview=9 Miles. 

it will be fun to see how it shakes out next month. 

JT upset Nac tonight 57-48

JT ladies won 36-32

That’s a huuuuuge upset for JT.   Wow!  

————

Marshall beat WH 53-46

Ladycats beat Lady Mavs 39-35

—————
Hallsville beat PT 58-42

Lady cats beat Lady Bucs 44-32

—————

No word on the LP/Jax games 

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

JT upset Nac tonight 57-48

JT ladies won 36-32

That’s a huuuuuge upset for JT.   Wow!  

————

Marshall beat WH 53-46

Ladycats beat Lady Mavs 39-35

—————
Hallsville beat PT 58-42

Lady cats beat Lady Bucs 44-32

—————

No word on the LP/Jax games 

We just aren’t as good as last year talented yes but still not as good.

22 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

He just got there geez . Expectations can't be that high. 

1. Make the playoffs is top priority. Already expecting more in the first year kinda unrealistic. 

I doubt they meant it as if he was being fired. But as leaving on his own. Could be wrong though.

But no, not Nac

3 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

I doubt they meant it as if he was being fired. But as leaving on his own. Could be wrong though.

But no, not Nac

His wife family is from Diboll area. He will be there for a while. Still he definitely got different expectations at this program.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread