2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 5
Marshall beat Hallsville 69-32
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 45-24
Lufkin beat John Tyler 78-39
Pine Tree beat Jacksonville 56-50

Marshall and Nacogdoches have set up the Tuesday showdown for early dominance in district 16-5A with a pair of wins Friday night.  The Mavericks made easy work of Hallsville with a 37 point win over the Bobcats to remain all alone in first place in the standings.  Meanwhile Nac cruised passed Whitehouse to remain just one game behind.  The two will meet in Nac Tuesday night in a battle for first place.  Lufkin leap-frogged Hallsville and JT in the standings with a big win.  Pine Tree kept their playoff hopes alive.  Whitehouse and Jacksonville continue to struggle on the season. 

Standings
Marshall (5-0) , (15-7)
Nacogdoches (4-1) , (19-8)
Lufkin (3-2), (14-7)
Hallsville (3-2) , (15-11)
John Tyler (2-3) , (4-12)
Pine Tree (2-3) (12-13)
Whitehouse (1-4), (7-12)
Jacksonville (0-5) , (4-10)

---------------------------------------------------
16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 7
Jacksonville beat Pine Tree 62-21
Hallsville beat Marshall 46-36
Lufkin beat John Tyler 47-28
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 45-24

The first round of district play came to a close Friday night with no real surprises.  Jacksonville continues to go virtually uncontested in first place, but Lufkin is still lurking just one game behind waiting for the Maidens to slip up.  Hallsville improved their playoff hopes with a hard fought win over Marshall.  Nac's win over Whitehouse created a messy three way tie for the fourth and final playoff slot.  The second round of loop play will tip off on Tuesday.

Standings
Jacksonville 7-0
Lufkin 6-1
Hallsville 4-3
Whitehouse 3-4
John Tyler 3-4
Nacogdoches 3-4
Marshall 1-6
Pine Tree 1-6

15-5A Boys Basketball

Game 1
Greenville beat Sulphur Springs 41-38
Royse City beat Lindale 43-42
Mount Pleasant Vs. Texas High- NO SCORE

Greenville opened district play with a thrilling upset win over state ranked SS in front of more than 2,000 fans at home.  It was also their 24th win on the season.  Royse City got a win over Lindale to open with a victory.  No report from THS/MP.

Greenville (1-0) ,  (24-4)
Royse City (1-0), (?-?)
Mount Pleasant (0-0) , (20-2)
Texas High (0-0) , (10-10)
Sulphur Springs (0-1) , (17-7)
Lindale (0-1) , (12-9)

15-5A Girls Basketball

Game 3
Sulphur Springs beat Greenville 52-31
Royse City beat Lindale (per RC ISD twitter, no score listed)
Mount Pleasant beat Texas High 55-38

RC seized control of first place with their win over Lindale.  MP's win over THS puts them into the thick of things, while Sulphur Springs got their first district win.  

Standings
Royse City 3-0
Lindale 2-1
Mount Pleasant 2-1
Texas High 1-2

Sulphur Springs 1-2
Greenville 0-3

19 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Stepp reporting Grand Saline has appointed the Hallsville HFC as their coach.

The only shocking part to this is the fact that he's leaving of his own accord.  Most figured HISD would have been swifter with their pink slip.  Go figure.  

Best of luck to him.  He did great things before he got to Hallsville.  Probably will at GS too.

The last two seasons were disasters for the Bobcats.

Time to right the ship.

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The only shocking part to this is the fact that he's leaving of his own accord.  Most figured HISD would have been swifter with their pink slip.  Go figure.  

Best of luck to him.  He did great things before he got to Hallsville.  Probably will at GS too.

The last two seasons were disasters for the Bobcats.

Time to right the ship.

What does hallsville have coming at the younger levels?

Just now, dillonpanthers said:

What does hallsville have coming at the younger levels?

I think Hallsville 8th graders won the district championship.

Marshall won the 9th grade championship (followed by WH and PT)

Pine Tree won the JV Championship (followed by WH and Marshall)

3 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I think Hallsville 8th graders won the district championship.

Marshall won the 9th grade championship (followed by WH and PT)

Pine Tree won the JV Championship (followed by WH and Marshall)

Thanks. May not be a whole lot coming then. Will be interesting to see what kind of candidates they attract 

Tough time to be rebuilding.....

Texas High likely joining the district..... they are coming off a huge playoff win over Lufkin.  Looks like the Tigers are headed back in the right direction.

Griedl still lead Marshall to their 3rd consecutive district title in spite of a player death, losing a D-1 QB after week 1, and a (0-3) start.  Got a real unlucky draw in the playoffs.  Upward motion continues.

Pine Tree seems to be turning a corner.  I've already said I think they challenge for the district title in 2020.  Pirates will be loaded offensively.  

Whitehouse is Whitehouse..... they are always competitive in district.  They have become annual playoff contenders.  No reason to think that changes in 2020.

Those four teams alone will make rebuilding tough......  MP SHOULD be improved in 2020 as well..... if they can just get their numbers up.  

Nac and Jax are the biggest question marks for me in 2020.  Nac majorly disappointed.... lost some games I really didn't expect them to.  Jax (like MP) has a numbers problem.   

Whoever comes to Hallsville will have an uphill battle ahead of them IMHO.

Not to mention..... politics.  Enough said. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Tough time to be rebuilding.....

Texas High likely joining the district..... they are coming off a huge playoff win over Lufkin.  Looks like the Tigers are headed back in the right direction.

Griedl still lead Marshall to their 3rd consecutive district title in spite of a player death, losing a D-1 QB after week 1, and a (0-3) start.  Got a real unlucky draw in the playoffs.  Upward motion continues.

Pine Tree seems to be turning a corner.  I've already said I think they challenge for the district title in 2020.  Pirates will be loaded offensively.  

Whitehouse is Whitehouse..... they are always competitive in district.  They have become annual playoff contenders.  No reason to think that changes in 2020.

Those four teams alone will make rebuilding tough......  MP SHOULD be improved in 2020.  

Nac and Jax are the biggest question marks for me in 2020.  Nac majorly disappointed.... lost some games I really didn't expect them to.  Jax (like MP) has a numbers problem.   

Whoever comes to Hallsville will have an uphill battle ahead of them IMHO.

Not to mention..... politics.  Enough said. 

I agree on the competition for sure. I dont know much about Hallsville as far as politics. That is tough if that is a factor.

IMO Drennon was a pretty big hire for Hallsville, after winning state at Mineola. Will be interesting to see if the administration is able to get another successful coach. Of course, it didn't go too great so maybe they will be looking to try something different this time. 

1 minute ago, dillonpanthers said:

I agree on the competition for sure. I dont know much about Hallsville as far as politics. That is tough if that is a factor.

IMO Drennon was a pretty big hire for Hallsville, after winning state at Mineola. Will be interesting to see if the administration is able to get another successful coach. Of course, it didn't go too great so maybe they will be looking to try something different this time. 

From what I've been told by friends and co-workers that send their kids to HISD..... politics are HUGE.

• Like 1

As far as Drennon's success not translating at Hallsville...... I've learned to keep my mouth closed on certain topics on Smoaky.

It's an unpopular opinion...... but it's how I (and others) feel.

Some see it as an attack on "small school" football.  It's not.  At all. 

But to refuse to admit there are differences between big school football and small school football makes the argument moot.

JMHO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

As far as Drennon's success not translating at Hallsville...... I've learned to keep my mouth closed on certain topics on Smoaky.

It's an unpopular opinion...... but it's how I (and others feel).

But to refuse to admit there are differences between big school football and small school football makes the argument moot.

JMHO

I agree with that.  But I know some don't. And him leaving to go to GS probably shows that Drennon can see the differences too. 

5 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

It's an unpopular opinion...... but it's how I (and others feel).

JMHO

They aint trying to hear it...

Him going to GS speaks volumes. He knows it too.

I got ripped a few years ago for not supporting the Waskom guy when he applied for Marshall after he won two state titles in Waskom (back to back?)

An incredible feat.  No doubt.  I was thrilled for WHS.  

But......I feared it may not translate for him in 5A.  We will never know. 

I know there are coaches that win at every level they coach at.  It happens. 

But what happened to With Hallsville’s Coach seems more common. 

Don't misunderstand me.  I absolutely believe it’s just as hard for Carthage to win state in 4A as it is for Allen in 6A.  That’s why classifications exist. Same for Waskom in their class. It’s not easy for anyone in their class. 

But it seems a smaller school can ride the arm of a five star QB to the title. Or the back of an all-start RB. Or a stud WR.  

The higher the classifications go..... you really need more than a one trick pony to win state.  not always.... but usually. 

You need offensive diversity.  More than one stud to win state. You need defense.  Takes deeper rosters to take that trophy.  Takes a bigger play book.  More schemes, formations, plays, etc, etc, etc....

I think coaches struggle with that at the 5A and 6A levels especially.  You need more than 1 stud in the backfield toting the rock.  You need a proficient QB.  You need WRs with great hands.  Not one. Not two. Several. 

You can’t force one player to shoulder the team and expect the highest prize.  

Not in the higher classifications.  6A and 5A for sure.  And 4A as well when you see how diverse Carthage and PG are. 

JMHO

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I got ripped a few years ago for not supporting the Waskom guy when he applied for Marshall after he won two state titles in Waskom (back to back?)

Don't misunderstand me.  I absolutely believe it’s just as hard for Carthage to win state in 4A as it is for Allen in 6A.  That’s why classifications exist. Same for Waskom in their class. It’s not easy for anyone in their class. 

But it seems a smaller school can ride the arm of a five star QB to the title. Or the back of an all-start RB. Or a stud WR.  

The higher the classifications go..... you really need more than a one trick pony to win state.  not always.... but usually. 

You need offensive diversity.  More than one stud to win state. You need defense.  Takes deeper rosters to take that trophy.  Takes a bigger play book.  More schemes, formations, plays, etc, etc, etc....

I think coaches struggle with that at the 5A and 6A levels especially.  You need more than 1 stud in the backfield toting the rock.  You need a proficient QB.  You need WRs with great hands.  Not one. Not two. Several. 

Not in the higher classifications.  6A and 5A for sure.  And 4A as well when you see how diverse Carthage and PG are. 

JMHO

you make great points. 

But I have seen it happen all sort of ways...Coaches from big schools struggle at small schools, and coaches from small schools win at big schools. Coaches win at one big school, then lose at another. Coach win at one small school, then lose at another.

It's got to be the right fit is what it all boils down to.   Maybe he needed more time, who knows, but obviously it didn't work right away for whatever reason. 

3 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

you make great points. 

But I have seen it happen all sort of ways...Coaches from big schools struggle at small schools, and coaches from small schools win at big schools. Coaches win at one big school, then lose at another. Coach win at one small school, then lose at another.

It's got to be the right fit is what it all boils down to.   Maybe he needed more time, who knows, but obviously it didn't work right away for whatever reason. 

Absolutely.  

There are so many Intangible factors that lead to success and failure at any school of any size. 

On 1/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, Mavchamp said:

JMHO

There's SO much that goes into it on the top levels... I've even had a certain coach who use to coach at LV and now coaches successfully at ETX small tell me personally.

So many factors on and off the field, could write a novel. But you hit a big point. Doesn't too much matter who your starters are, if you don't have depth on the top levels.....you won't get too far.

Of course, not always...but all of this is usually the case.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:00 AM, Mavchamp said:

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 5
Marshall beat Hallsville 69-32
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 45-24
Lufkin beat John Tyler 78-39
Pine Tree beat Jacksonville 56-50

Marshall and Nacogdoches have set up the Tuesday showdown for early dominance in district 16-5A with a pair of wins Friday night.  The Mavericks made easy work of Hallsville with a 37 point win over the Bobcats to remain all alone in first place in the standings.  Meanwhile Nac cruised passed Whitehouse to remain just one game behind.  The two will meet in Nac Tuesday night in a battle for first place.  Lufkin leap-frogged Hallsville and JT in the standings with a big win.  Pine Tree kept their playoff hopes alive.  Whitehouse and Jacksonville continue to struggle on the season. 

Standings
Marshall (5-0) , (15-7)
Nacogdoches (4-1) , (19-8)
Lufkin (3-2), (14-7)
Hallsville (3-2) , (15-11)
John Tyler (2-3) , (4-12)
Pine Tree (2-3) (12-13)
Whitehouse (1-4), (7-12)
Jacksonville (0-5) , (4-10)

Nac was horrible for the first 10 minutes of this game against Whitehouse!! They did go an entire quarter without allowing a Whitehouse basket. These slow starts are going to cost us in a big game!!

On 1/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, Mavchamp said:

It's an unpopular opinion...... but it's how I (and others) feel.

JMHO

The development hasn’t been there for years.  And I am not sure you can blame that on the coaches because genetics play a part in all

of that as well...

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Nac was horrible for the first 10 minutes of this game against Whitehouse!! They did go an entire quarter without allowing a Whitehouse basket. These slow starts are going to cost us in a big game!!

This week is Marshall’s litmus test for district. 

Nac and Lufkin.  The district favorites headed into the season. 

They gotta prove they are worthy. 

2 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

Interesting note. Hallsville ISD has the AD and head football jobs posted separately on their website. Looks like they are splitting the position.  

Seems like that will slow down the applicant pool. 

This seems to be a move to assure baseball remains a priority for male athletes. 

IMHO.... this makes a lackluster job even less appealing.  I could be wrong.  They may be the next Aledo in 5A.  But this seems to be putting football on the back-burner