2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

4 minutes ago, bignasty said:

Don’t think the DUB ,as they like to refer to themselves as ,played the Pack.

Lets just say.... the Dub was not ready to play in the Big City.

Lufkin and Whitehouse were in the same football district a coupe of years ago.

2014 and 2015 I believe.  

1 hour ago, bignasty said:

My experience was from this past season.

Gotcha. 
It was epidemic on the football team this past season. 
I was expecting it. I had been warned by several district fans from other teams. 
But even with the warnings... I was amazed at what I saw.  Appalling.  

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 8
Nacogdoches beat Lufkin 44-35
Marshall beat Jacksonville 75-64
Whitehouse beat Hallsville 46-31
John Tyler beat Pine Tree 62-57

Nacogdoches got a huge road win to sweep Lufkin, keeping the Dragons in first place.  Marshall overcame a slow start to win over Jacksonville to also remain in a first place tie with Nacogdoches.  Whitehouse's win over Hallsville and JT’s win over PT forms a four way tie for third place between Lufkin, JT, Hallsville, and the Wildcats.

Standings
Nacogdoches (7-1) , (22-8)
Marshall (7-1) , (17-8)
Lufkin (4-4), (15-9)
Hallsville (4-4) , (16-13)
Whitehouse (4-4) , (10-12)
John Tyler (4-4) , (6-13)
Pine Tree (2-6(13-15)
Jacksonville (0-7) , (4-12)

---------------------------------------------------
16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 10
Jacksonville beat Marshall 72-40
Whitehouse beat Hallsville 46-36
Pine Tree beat John Tyler 33-30
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 41-26

Whitehouse got a big win over Hallsville to take over the #3 slot in the standings.  Jacksonville continues to be a machine as they made easy work of Marshall.  PT had a minor upset of JT to pull themselves out of the district cellar. 

Standings
Jacksonville 10-0
Lufkin 9-1
Whitehouse 6-4
Hallsville 4-6
Nacogdoches 4-6
John Tyler 3-7
Pine Tree 3-7
Marshall 2-8

15-5A Boys Basketball

Game 4
Texas High beat Greenville 67-64
Sulphur Springs beat Royse City 69-43
Mount Pleasant beat Lindale- 55-22

Texas High got a HUGE upset win over Greenville.  The Lions have lost two in a row after upsetting state ranked Sulphur Springs last week.  The loss drops Greenville into third place.  MP and SS both got big road wins to remain in a tie for first place.  Lindale and RC are battling it out for last place thus far.

Standings
Mount Pleasant (3-1) , (23-3)
Sulphur Springs (3-1) , (20-7)
Greenville (2-2) ,  (25-6)
Texas High (2-2) , (12-12)
Lindale (1-3) , (13-11)
Royse City (1-3), (6-7)

15-5A Girls Basketball

Game 6
Texas High beat Greenville 62-27
Royse City beat Sulphur Springs - 54-29
Mount Pleasant beat Lindale- 54-18

No upsets Tuesday night. 

Standings
Royse City 6-0
Mount Pleasant 4-2
Texas High 4-2
Lindale 2-4

Sulphur Springs 1-5
Greenville 1-5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16-5A Soccer begins on Friday

From Longhorn Confidential;

How many more players will Texas sign? 

Texas wants to finish with at least 20 players and the Longhorns feel good about three prospects. Tom Herman’s program is in the lead for Collins and four-star wide receiver Kelvontay Dixon, the younger brother of UT running back Keaontay Ingram. Dixon decided to forgo signing in December as he was helping Carthage win a Class 4A Division I state championship. 

Houston and UTSA are also in the mix with the Cougars getting an official visit on the final weekend before signing day. Dixon was on UT’s campus last weekend. The 6-0, 180-pound athlete was committed to Arkansas before the Razorbacks fired head coach Chad Morris. Dixon caught 157 passes for 2,511 yards and 37 touchdowns over his final two seasons. 

The third prospect Texas hopes to add is Duncanville cornerback Ennis Rakestraw. The Longhorns are in a battle with Alabama and Missouri for his signature, but get to make the last impression with his official visit starting Friday. Rakeshaw’s recruiting stock rose during Duncanville’s run to the Class 6A Division I state championship. He was named the defensive player of the year by the Dallas Morning News and is a three-star prospect with 28 offers. 

Other offered prospects Princely Umanmielen and Savion Williams are also considering Texas. Umanmielen is a defensive end from Manor who was a one-time UT commit; Williams is a wide receiver from Marshall who received a late offer from the Longhorns. He’ll also be on an official visit to Texas this weekend. 

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 9
Marshall beat Whitehouse 64-39
Nacogdoches beat John Tyler 73-51
Lufkin beat Jacksonville 60-48
Pine Tree beat Hallsville 49-46

Pine Tree got the upset of the night with their win over arch-rival Hallsville.  The win keeps PT's dim playoff hopes alive another day....but it also prevented the Bobcats from pulling into a tie for third place with Lufkin.  Hallsville, Whitehouse, and JT are tied up for the fourth playoff slot.  Marshall made easy work of Whitehouse in front of a packed Maverick Gym to remain tied for first place with Nacogdoches who beat John Tyler.

Shaping up to be a good race down the stretch with the Nac/Marshall rematch looming.  Who will get the #4 slot?  Can any of them upset Lufkin?  

Standings
Nacogdoches (8-1) , (23-8)
Marshall (8-1) , (19-8)
Lufkin (5-4), (16-9)
Hallsville (4-5) , (16-14)
Whitehouse (4-5) , (10-13)
John Tyler (4-5) , (6-14)
Pine Tree (3-6), (14-15)
Jacksonville (0-9) , (4-13)

16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 11
Hallsville beat Pine Tree 63-37
Whitehouse beat Marshall 40-29
Jacksonville beat Lufkin 46-23
Nacogdoches beat John Tyler 48-41

Jacksonville all but clinched the district championship Friday night with a resounding win over second place Lufkin.  The Lady Maidens now have a two game lead (and the sweep) over LP with just 4 games remaining to the regular season.  Whitehouse solidified their hold of the #3 spot with a win over Marshall.  Hallsville continues to lead Nac for the final playoff spot.

Standings
Jacksonville 11-0
Lufkin 9-2
Whitehouse 7-4
Hallsville 6-5
Nacogdoches 4-7
John Tyler 3-8
Pine Tree 3-8
Marshall 2-9

15-5A Boys Basketball

Game 5
Sulphur Springs beat Lindale 67-41
Mount Pleasant beat Greenville 50-36
Texas High Vs. Royse City- NO REPORT

A monster battle is brewing between MP and SS in the rematch.  Greenville is reeling with their third consecutive loss after breaking into the state's top 25.  Texas High appears to be improving.  Shaping up to be a fun race.

Standings
Mount Pleasant (4-1) , (24-3)
Sulphur Springs (4-1) , (21-7)
Greenville (2-3) ,  (25-7)
Texas High (2-2) , (12-12)
Lindale (1-4) , (13-12)
Royse City (1-3), (6-7)

15-5A Girls Basketball

Game 7
Sulphur Springs beat Lindale 50-31
Royse City beat Texas High 65-47
Mount Pleasant beat Greenville 

SS kept their playoff hopes alive with a win over Lindale.  RC continues to roll with MP right behind.  Greenville is struggling.

Standings
Royse City 7-0
Mount Pleasant 5-2
Texas High 4-3
Lindale 2-5

Sulphur Springs 2-5
Greenville 1-6

-----------------------------------------

16-5A Boys Soccer

GAME 1
Lufkin beat John Tyler 4-0
Whitehouse beat Marshall 4-1
Nacogdoches beat Hallsville 3-1
Jacksonville beat Pine Tree 3-2

Standings
Lufkin 1-0
Whitehouse 1-0
Nacogdoches 1-0
Jacksonville 1-0
Marshall 0-1
John Tyler 0-1
Hallsville 0-1
Pine Tree 0-1

16-5A Girls Soccer

Game 1
Lufkin beat John Tyler 2-1
Pine Tree beat Jacksonville 4-0
Hallsville beat Nacogdoches 3-2
Whitehouse beat Marshall 

Standings
Lufkin 1-0
Pine Tree 1-0
Hallsville 1-0
Whitehouse 1-0
John Tyler 0-1
Jacksonville 0-1
Nacogdoches 0-1
Marshall 0-1

Nac's Girls won 48-41 over JT

Nacs boys dominated JT through out. Led by 18 at the end of 1 and 20 at halftime. They were not caught napping this time around. Nac also had a player come back from injury that has been missing all year. He was starter last year, and was a pretty big spark last night. I saw more dunks by Nac last night then I have ever seen from them. They played very aggressive and attacked JT in the paint.

District title is going to come down to the Marshall rematch on Feb 14th in Marshall. The loss to JT earlier in the year is a loss that could cost the Dragons at least a share of the district crown.

Mav gym was packed last night from what I heard.

Sounds like the fans are finally buying into the team. 

That place can really rock and roll when it's pumped up..... can be a very tough place to play when it's full.  Very loud and intimidating to a visiting team.

Will need that when JT and Nac come to town.  Two short drive road games to PT and Hallsville....so Mav fans should show up en masse to all those.

Regular season finale in Lufkin will be HUGE.  Wish I could make that one...but I'll be in Colorado that week skiing down the mountains. 

Looking at records and rankings.... 15-5A looks a much stronger than 16-5A on the boys side.  

Sulphur Springs is state ranked.  Mount Pleasant is state ranked.  Greenville was briefly state ranked.... all have over 20 wins already with lots of basketball left to be played.  All of them will likely have 30 wins (or close) by the time the playoffs come.  

Doesn't look like Nac or Marshall will hit the 30 win plateau in the regular season, but they both could be close.  Neither have been mentioned in the polls.

Some good races in the coming weeks.  I enjoy ETX Vs. ETX in the first round.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Mav gym was packed last night from what I heard.

Sounds like the fans are finally buying into the team. 

That place can really rock and roll when it's pumped up..... can be a very tough place to play when it's full.  Very loud and intimidating to a visiting team.

Will need that when JT and Nac come to town.  Two short drive road games to PT and Hallsville....so Mav fans should show up en masse to all those.

Regular season finale in Lufkin will be HUGE.  Wish I could make that one...but I'll be in Colorado that week skiing down the mountains. 

Looking at records and rankings.... 15-5A looks a much stronger than 16-5A on the boys side.  

Sulphur Springs is state ranked.  Mount Pleasant is state ranked.  Greenville was briefly state ranked.... all have over 20 wins already with lots of basketball left to be played.  All of them will likely have 30 wins (or close) by the time the playoffs come.  

Doesn't look like Nac or Marshall will hit the 30 win plateau in the regular season, but they both could be close.  Neither have been mentioned in the polls.

Some good races in the coming weeks.  I enjoy ETX Vs. ETX in the first round.

Nac was ranked 15ish in the polls to start the season, the 1 point loss to Diboll ended that.

I think the top spot in District 16-5a is big because you do get the best chance of advancing. I am not sure anyone from our district beats that top 3 in 15-5a. 

The runner up in 16-5a would also have a date with #1 Lancaster in the 2nd round, if they advance past 15-5A 3rd place team.

The only reason i dont like ETX vs ETX first rounds is it kills the chance of two long runs in the playoffs by these districts. I would rather these distircts meet in the semifinals. 

7 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

The only reason i dont like ETX vs ETX first rounds is it kills the chance of two long runs in the playoffs by these districts. I would rather these distircts meet in the semifinals. 

I totally get that too....  but East Texas has struggled to beat the metroplex schools in the first round when they played.  Same when some were going south to play the first round.

Playing each other in the first round at least gets assures 4 of us will advance to the second round.

No doubt though..... the North 5A district looks tougher than the South district.  Greenville is a bit of a question mark though....  but SS and MP appear to be the real deal.  I think Texas High match up too.... whether or not they end up #3 or #4.  

My Cujo brethren. Remember not to long ago I ask ya'll a question. Do you move Greg to receiver if Pat came to JT? Last night proved why you make that decision. Greg was great but nobody in East Texas has ever had a Pat Mahomes type great qb. Pat would have set all types of records for JT if he had those types of weapons like Ross, Liggins, Ward, and Flowers at receivers. Remember all 4 of them went D1.

• Like 1

FOOTBALL:Texas High, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Hallsville, Pine Tree, Jacksonville, Whitehouse, and Nacogdoches

It's what most predicted. 

OTHER SPORTS:

District 15: Hallsville, Longview, Pine Tree, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Sulphur Springs, Texarkana Texas

District 16:  Huntsville, Jacksonville, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Tyler, Whitehouse

Thoughts:

1.  Lindale gone.... Texas High takes their place.  I think the Tigers make the district better.  THS is on the way back up.  Instant favorite for the district title with Marshall. 

2.  Basketball and soccer district will be killer for 15-5A. 

3.  Longview should save a ton of money on travel in this district for all the other sports.  Should be better crowds for sports.

4.  Poor Huntsville.... that's ridiculous travel for all sports but football.

Overall....pretty happy about alignment as  a Mav fan. 

Unofficial 2020 Marshall Football Schedule

Week 1 @ New Caney
Week 2 Longview (TBA)
Week 3 Carthage (TBA)
Week 4 BYE
Week 5 Pine Tree
Week 6 @ Jacksonville
Week 7 Texas High
Week 8 @ Whitehouse
Week 9 Mount Pleasant
Week 10 @Hallsville
Week 11 Nacogdoches

Non-district opponents were a combined 37-2 last season.  New Caney (10-1), Longview (11-1), and Carthage (16-0)

On 1/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, Mavchamp said:

Lufkin, right? 

Add another to the list. 

But were all lying.... and not seeing what we’re seeing.   

I’ve told you about their fans in Lufkin I believe. Very obnoxious and classless. But Other than playing in that 2A stadium years ago. I don’t remember anything happening in Whitehouse. They knew better. They already took several L’s on the field that night. No reason to take more

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

OTHER SPORTS:

District 15: Hallsville, Longview, Pine Tree, Marshall, Mount Pleasant, Sulphur Springs, Texarkana Texas

2.  Basketball and soccer district will be killer for 15-5A. 

3.  Longview should save a ton of money on travel in this district for all the other sports.  Should be better crowds for sports.

Soccer is exactly what I was thinking was going to be a killer.

I don't know what we have coming back next season for our soccer squads, but we have been absolutely murdering teams in both boys and girls this season. Will be a fun district to be apart of. Glad we're with the original group again for other sports.

I’m going to have to go back and look.  But this has got to be the toughest non district schedule Marshall has had in a looooooong time. 

Good job to coach Griedl for pulling a good one together. 

No word on scrimmages yet.