2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 11
Nacogdoches beat Hallsville 61-29
Marshall beat John Tyler 72-60
Lufkin beat Pine Tree 52-32
Whitehouse beat Jacksonville 49-44

The district race is coming down the stretch and there is still much undecided concerning the playoffs.  Nac and Marshall both won Friday night to keep themselves tied up for first place.  A showdown is looming next Friday when Nac comes to Marshall.  Lufkin appears to be in firm control of third place thanks to their win over Pine Tree.  Meanwhile John Tyler and Whitehouse are tied up for the fourth and final playoff slot.  The Lions and the Wildcats face off against one another in the regular season finale.  Whitehouse won the first game.

Standings
Nacogdoches (10-1) , (25-8 )
Marshall (10-1) , (21-8)
Lufkin (7-4), (18-9)
John Tyler (5-6) , (7-15)
Whitehouse (5-6) , (11-14)
Hallsville (4-7) , (16-16)
Pine Tree (3-8), (14-17)
Jacksonville (0-11) , (4-15)

---------------------------------------------------
16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 13
Hallsville beat Nacogdoches 45-29
Lufkin beat Pine Tree 60-29
Marshall beat John Tyler 38-30
Jacksonville beat Whitehouse 63-40

Jacksonville has already clinched the district title and Lufkin has clinched the #2 slot.  However, Whitehouse and Hallsville are still knotted up at 8-5 headed into the season finale.   Whitehouse takes on Nacogdoches and Hallsville will host Marshall.  A tie breaker game may be needed to determine who is in... and who is out of the playoffs.  

Standings
Jacksonville 13-0
Lufkin 10-3
Whitehouse 8-5
Hallsville 8-5
Nacogdoches 4-9
Pine Tree 4-9
Marshall 3-10
John Tyler 3-10

15-5A Boys Basketball

Game 7
Mount Pleasant beat Sulphur Springs 45-31
Lindale beat Texas High 51-46
Greenville beat Royse City

A packed out gym in MP saw the Tigers seize control of the district with a big win over Sulphur Springs, avenging the loss to the Wildcats in the first round of district play.  MP is now all alone in first place atop the district.  The Wildcat's loss to Greenville early in the season may have cost them the district championship.  Greenville finally snapped their 4 game losing streak with a win over RC.  Lindale got a minor upset over Texas High.  There is now a three way tie for third place with THS, Greenville, and Lindale.

Standings
Mount Pleasant (6-1) , (26-3)
Sulphur Springs (5-2) , (22-8)
Texas High (3-4), (13-14)
Greenville (3-4), (26-8)
Lindale (3-4) , (15-12)
Royse City (1-6), (6-10)

15-5A Girls Basketball

Game 9
Royse City beat Greenville 80-18
Texas High beat Lindale 70-78
Mount Pleasant beat Sulphur Springs 

Royse City obliterated Texas High by 62 points to remain in firm control of first place.  MP and THS remain tied up for second place.  Sulphur Springs is in firm control of the final playoff spot.  

Standings
Royse City (9-0) , (26-5)
Mount Pleasant 6-3
Texas High 6-3
Sulphur Springs 4-5
Lindale 2-7

Greenville 1-8

-----------------------------------------

16-5A Boys Soccer

GAME 3
John Tyler beat Pine Tree 4-0
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 7-6 in a shootout of a 2-2 game
Jacksonville beat Marshall 6-0
Hallsville Vs. Whitehouse- NO SCORE

Standings
Lufkin 2-0-1
Whitehouse 1-0-1
Nacogdoches 1-0-2
Jacksonville 2-1
John Tyler 2-1
Hallsville 1-1
Marshall 0-3
Pine Tree 0-3

16-5A Girls Soccer

Game 3
Lufkin beat Nacogdoches 3-0
John Tyler beat Pine Tree 2-1
Whitehouse beat Hallsville in PKs
Marshall Vs. Jacksonville- NO SCORE

Standings
Lufkin 3-0
Hallsville 2-0-1
Whitehouse 2-0-1
John Tyler 1-2
Pine Tree 1-2
Jacksonville 1-1
Marshall 0-2
Nacogdoches 0-3

Marshall boys beat Hallsville 53-47

hallsville girls won 62-45

Lufkin beat JT 75-61

Lufkin girls beat JT 50-25

PT boys beat Jax 58-50

jax beat PT 62-18 (Early termination called by administration between Jacksonville and Pine Tree girls after an altercation broke out with 1:46 left in regulation. Jacksonville wins the contest, 62-18. @etvarsity)

Nac beat  Whitehouse 46-34

Nac/WH girls score ?????

————

Lindale  boys over Greenville 65-60

Lindale girls over Grenville 59-22

Texas High girls over SS 55-39

SS Boys beat Texas High 57-48

—————

soccer-

PT Girls over WH 1-0. 

WH/PT boys PPd due to weather 

Lufkin boys over Hallsville 4-2 

Lufkin girls over Hallsville 1-0

——-

MT pleasant over Texas High 11-1

16-5A Boys Basketball

GAME 12
Marshall beat Hallsville 53-47
Nacogdoches beat Whitehouse 46-34
Lufkin beat John Tyler 75-61
Pine Tree beat Jacksonville 58-50

No surprises on Tuesday night as Marshall and Nac both won their games to set up a district title showdown Friday night at Maverick Gymnasium.  The winner will take sole possession of first place with only one game remaining in district play.  The loser will settle in to second place.  Nac won the first game between the two at Dragon Gym.  Nac's lone district loss came at the hands of Lufkin.  LP has firm control of the #3 slot, while JT and WH are battling it out for the fourth and final playoff slot.... they will face off in the regular season finale on Tuesday in a huge battle. WH won the first game.  Hallsville and PT are on the outside looking in...and would need miracles to sneak into the playoffs.  Each would need to win Friday and Tuesday for the chance of a tie next Tuesday.  Jacksonville has been eliminated.  

Standings
Nacogdoches (11-1) , (26-8 )
Marshall (11-1) , (22-8)
Lufkin (8-4), (19-9)
John Tyler (5-7) , (7-16)
Whitehouse (5-7) , (11-15)
Hallsville (4-8) , (16-17)
Pine Tree (4-8), (15-17)
Jacksonville (0-12) , (4-16)

16-5A Girls Basketball

Game 14
Lufkin over JT 50-25
Hallsville over Marshall 62-45
Jacksonville beat Pine Tree 62-18 (Game was called with 1:46 left in the game due to an altercation)
Whitehouse beat Nacogdoches

Jacksonville wrapped up a perfect district slate with the district title in hand..... the regular season closed with some firewokds Vs. Pine Tree has the game was halted due to an altercation between the two teams late in the fourth quarter.  Lufkin was all alone in second place.  No word on if the tie breaker for 4th place between WH and Hallsville will be decided by a third game...or if it will be by coin flip.  Stay tuned.  

Standings
Jacksonville 14-0- DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
Lufkin 11-3 
Whitehouse 9-5
Hallsville 9-5
Nacogdoches 4-10
Pine Tree 4-10
Marshall 3-11
John Tyler 3-11

15-5A Boys Basketball

Game 8
Lindale beat Greenville 65-60
Sulphur Springs beat Texas High 57-48
Mount Pleasant beat Royse City 42-33

Lindale's upset (?) of Greenville Tuesday night helped the Eagles catapult themselves from 5th place to 3rd place in the standings over Texas High and the Lions.  Greenville, who was state ranked just 2 weeks ago is currently on the outside looking in for the playoffs in spite of 26 wins on the season.  Meanwhile MP remains all alone in first place with SS a game behind.  Texarkana and Greenville are battling for the final playoff slot only 2 games remaining.

Standings
Mount Pleasant (7-1) , (27-3)
Sulphur Springs (6-2) , (23-8)
Lindale (4-4) , (16-12)
Texas High (3-5), (13-15)
Greenville (3-5), (26-9)
Royse City (1-7), (6-11)

15-5A Girls Basketball

Game 10
Mount Pleasant beat Royse CIty 55-52
Lindale over Greenville 59-22
Sulphur Springs over Texas High 55-39

MP upset Royse City in the regular season finale.  The Lady Bulldogs still win the district title and will face Hallsville.  MP is all alone in second place and will take on Whitehouse.  THS got the #3 spot and will face Lufkin in the playoffs.  SS and Lindale are tied for the final playoff spot and will have a tie breaking game on Friday night.  The winner will get Jacksonville in the first round, the loser's season will end.

Standings
Royse City (9-1) , (26-6)- DISTRICT CHAMPIONS
Mount Pleasant 7-3
Texas High 6-4
Sulphur Springs 4-6
Lindale 4-6

Greenville 1-9

-----------------------------------------

16-5A Boys Soccer

GAME 4
Lufkin over Hallsville 4-2
John Tyler over Marshall 10-0
Jacksonville over Nacogdoches 2-1
PT/WH- PPD WEATHER

As expected going into the season, LP is in first place, but the race for the district title is proving to be a good one with WH, Jacksonville, and JT hot on the trails of the Panthers.   After that, the competition seems to fall off a good bit has HT has a 1 game lead over 5th place Nac.

Standings
Lufkin (3-0-1) ,  (8-0-4)
Whitehouse (2-0-1) , (10-1-2)
Jacksonville (3-1) , (11-4-1)
John Tyler (3-1) , (7-10-0)
Nacogdoches (1-1-2), (12-4-4)
Hallsville (1-3) , (5-5)
Pine Tree (0-3), (2-5-5)
Marshall (0-4) , (1-9)
16-5A Girls Soccer

Game 4
Lufkin over Hallsville 1-0
Jacksonville over Nacogdoches 4-1
John Tyler beat Marshall 4-0
Pine Tree beat Whitehouse 1-0

Lufkin continues to lead the district with Jacksonville just one game behind.  After that....things get messy with 4 teams with 2 wins and a mixture of ties and losses.  Could be a photo finish to the playoffs

Standings
Lufkin (4-0) , (6-6-1)
Jacksonville (3-1) , (9-5-1)
Hallsville (2-1-1), (7-3-2)
Whitehouse (2-1-1), (3-7-1)
John Tyler (2-2), (3-7-2)
Pine Tree (2-2) , (5-5-1)
Marshall (0-4) ,  (5-7)
Nacogdoches (0-4) ,  (3-5-1) 

-----------------------------------

16-5A Boys Soccer

GAME 1
Mount Pleasant beat Texas High 11-1
Sulphur Springs beat Greenville 2-1
Lindale beat Royse City 3-1

District play finally gets started for 15-5A.  In spite of struggling early in the season..... state powerhouse MP is still the heavy favorite for the district title.  

Standings
Mount Pleasant (1-0) , (7-6-1) 
Sulphur Springs (1-0) , (7-4-5)
Lindale (1-0) , (6-6-1) 
Texas High (0-1) , (8-6-3)
Royse City (0-1) , (4-5-1)
Greenville (0-1) , (1-10-3)

15-5A Girls Soccer

Game 1
Mount Pleasant over Texas High 3-1
Royse City over Lindale 1-0
Sulphur Springs beat Greenville 6-1

District has started.  MP is the only team in the district with a winning record.  

Standings
Mount Pleasant (1-0) , (9-4-1)
Sulphur Springs (1-0) , (5-6-1)
Royse City (1-0) , (2-8-4)
Texas High (0-1) , (2-5-0)
Lindale (0-1) ,  (1-10-3)
Greenville (0-1) , (0-8-1)

Edited  by Mavchamp

Maverick Gym needs to be ROCKING this Friday.  Should be packed.... and LOUD.  This is for the district championship.

Marshall looking for their first district title since 2015.  

We've won the last couple of games Vs. PT and Hallsville...but we were flat in both IMHO.  Can't do that against Nac or they will make us pay.  Can't let up if we get ahead.  

HUGE game at home..... then closing out with a dangerous game in Lufkin.  We don't want to enter the playoffs limping in on a two game losing streak.  Let's take care of business.

-------

Girls basketball brackets should be set in the next few days.  I'll get those posted.  East Texas Vs. East Texas!!  Looks like some good match ups in the first round.

------

Soccer officially underway for everyone now.  South district overall looks stronger in soccer...but with MP and SS up North.... they can't be overlooked.  

------

Baseball and softball are officially gotten started.  District is still a month away....but teams are getting set.

-----

Spring football is coming in a few weeks..... and with new districts and teams in the area.... there should be news.

---------

Thanks for all the encouragement from those that text and message me for keeping up with the scores and standings.  I appreciate it.

Nacs only district loss is to JT, we swept Lufkin. 

Should be a great game vs Marshall for the title on Friday!! Nac will need to withstand the pressure of the Marshall press, it is what caused problems last time they met. Marshall will need to offset the inside/outside threat of #22 Nana and #5 Jackson. If either team comes out flat, the other one is going to run them out of the gym. Sorry I am going to miss the game, it is going to be a good one just like last time. 

8 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Nacs only district loss is to JT, we swept Lufkin. 

Thanks for the correction.  What an odd loss for Nac. I had forgotten about it.  Had it in my mind it was LP.

I agree.... this SHOULD be a great game Friday.

We had a slow start Vs. PT last week in the 1Q..... built a huge lead by  halftime and then got a little lazy in the fourth and made it closer than it should have been. 

I thought we played a little lazy against Hallsville last night too.... we should be blowing these teams out.  But..... yeah.....

Two critical games coming up.  Nac for the district title.... and an LP team that wants revenge from the first game.  I'm sure we will get a bigger dose of home cooking down there than we could ever dream of serving up here.  At least not historically when we've played down there.  it's been a house of horrors.  

Can't make it on Tuesday....I'll be in Colorado skiing.  

Last time Marshall's football and basketball teams won district titles?  2015.  

15 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Thanks for the correction.  What an odd loss for Nac. I had forgotten about it.  Had it in my mind it was LP.

I agree.... this SHOULD be a great game Friday.

We had a slow start Vs. PT last week in the 1Q..... built a huge lead by  halftime and then got a little lazy in the fourth and made it closer than it should have been. 

I thought we played a little lazy against Hallsville last night too.... we should be blowing these teams out.  But..... yeah.....

Two critical games coming up.  Nac for the district title.... and an LP team that wants revenge from the first game.  I'm sure we will get a bigger dose of home cooking down there than we could ever dream of serving up here.  At least not historically when we've played down there.  it's been a house of horrors.  

Can't make it on Tuesday....I'll be in Colorado skiing.  

Last time Marshall's football and basketball teams won district titles?  2015.  

The loss to JT was very weird!! We had just come off beating LP by 30, so I don't know if we just had a bad game or what. We destroyed JT the second time around and the second time through district we have been much better then the first time through. We did get a returning starter from last year back from injury for the second time through. That may be even bigger then I first thought it was going to be. He is one of our better ball handlers/defenders and outside shooters.

Since Hallsville is splitting their AD/HC positions..... made me think about $$$ for the other East Texas 5A coaches..... thought I'd compare them.

These numbers are 2 years old....so they are a little dated.  But they are ballpark.  And I don't think they include the stipends and bonuses they may have written into their contracts.  This is base pay only from what I understand.  Taken from the Fort Worth Star Telegram:

9-5A Salaries
Texas High $125,000
Marshall $115,000
Hallsville $115,000
Jacksonville $107,000
Mount Pleasant $97,000
Nacogdoches $96,000
Pine Tree $94,000
Whitehouse $87,000
-----------
Other East Texas 5A Of Interest:
Longview $133,000
Lufkin $111,000
John Tyler $110,000
Greenville $108,000
Sulphur Springs $102,000
Royse City $95,000

It'll be interesting to see how Hallsville handles the split position.  Hard to imagine them keeping the $$$ that high for HFC only AND pay another person to be AD.  But I don't think HISD has ever really shied away from spending taxpayers money.  

I also thought it was interesting to see how relatively close all the salaries are in East Texas are....slightly above the state average of $100,000.  TBH.... 100K/year in East Texas is living pretty comfortably.  Can buy a very nice home... live pretty well.  Compared to 100K/year in DFW...where it doesn't go nearly as far.

Girls Basketball Playoff information

Mount Pleasant (27-3) Vs. Whitehouse (12-16)
Tues At Gladewater HS-  6:30 PM

Hallsville (13-14)  Vs. Royse City (26-6)
Mon At Van HS- 7:00 PM

Texas High (14-10)  Vs. Lufkin (22-11)
Tues At Pine Tree HS- 6:30PM

Jacksonville (23-8) Vs. Winner of Lindale (17-12) Vs. Sulphur Springs play (23-8) in winner
Mon At TJC- TBA (unconfirmed)

Honestly expecting a split with the girls.  

Jacksonville SHOULD beat no matter which they face.
Lufkin should beat Texas High
MP over WH
RC over Hallsville

Now the boys playoff games could be VERY interesting when they come up