2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Mount Pleasant beat Kaufman 56-53 in OT. 

Tigers are headed to the regional tournament. 

They are carrying the East Texas flag alone now for 5A (and 6A for that matter). 

congrats to the Tigers!!!

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

They are carrying the East Texas flag alone now for 5A (and 6A for that matter). 

Hopefully they can stay with Lancaster if they play em.

7 hours ago, Aledo said:

MP plays Dallas Kimball and they are pretty good. Kimball is my pick in R2 to make the state tournament.  

Is Kimball ranked ahead of Lancaster?

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Is Kimball ranked ahead of Lancaster?

I don't know if they're better than Lancaster, but they've won 3 state titles recently (in the 2010s), and they're fresh off blowing out previously undefeated (29-0) Newman Smith with a 28 pt victory.

Edit: Looks like they've lost to Lancaster twice this season.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:13 AM, Mavchamp said:

congrats to MP  and even to SS this yr.

They say east texas can't compete in basketball at the big school level, but that has been proving wrong the last couple of yrs. If you get the right coach and you commit to basketball, it can be done. The problem is that east tx settles for sub par coaching in basketball, but not in football.

Lady Mav softball team improved to 13-4 on the season today.

They bear Pine Tree 7-1 and Pleasant Grove 4-0 today in the first day of the EF tourney.

-----

Sorry for falling behind on the Soccer standings.  Scores are tough to find.... and I've been stupid busy.  I'll try and get it updated tomorrow or Saturday.

16-5A Boys Soccer

Game 8
John Tyler beat Lufkin 2-1
Jacksonville beat Pine Tree 4-1
Whitehouse beat Marshall 7-1
Nac beat Hallsville 7-0

Game 9
John Tyler beat Jacksonville 5-1
Pine Tree beat Hallsville 2-0
Whitehouse beat Nac 2-0
Lufkin beat Marshall

Game 10
Lufkin beat Nac 3-1
John Tyler beat Pine Tree 4-2
Whitehouse beat Hallsville 4-0
Jacksonville beat Marshall 4-1

Game 11
Jacksonville beat Nac 2-0
Lufkin beat Hallsville 4-1
Whitehouse beat Pine Tree 4-1
John Tyler beat Marshall 10-0

Standings
John Tyler (9-1-1) , (15-7-1)
Jacksonville (9-2) , (17-5-1)
Whitehouse (8-1-2) , (16-2-3)
Lufkin (7-3-1) ,  (12-3-4)
Nacogdoches (4-5-2), (15-8-4)
Pine Tree (2-9), (4-11-5)
Hallsville (1-9-1) , (5-11-1)
Marshall (0-10-1) , (1-14)

I HAVEN'T ADDED THE POINT SYSTEM YET.  I'LL SEE IF I CAN GET THAT WORKED OUT.  BUT IT SHOULD BE PRETTY CLOSE TO WHAT WE SEE ABOVE WITH THE OVERALL RECORDS.

THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A FANTASTIC RACE BETWEEN JT, JAX, AND WHITEHOUSE FOR THE DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP.  ALL THREE HAVE BEEN IMPRESSIVE THIS SEASON.  AND YOU CAN'T DISCOUNT A FOURTH PLACE LP TEAM THAT HAS PEDIGREE.  NAC COULD BE SITTING AT HOME WITH 16 OR 17 WINS ON THE SEASON.....ABSOLUTELY INSANE.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

16-5A Girls Soccer

Game 8
Hallsville beat Nac 2-0
Jacksonville beat PT 2-1
John tyler beat Lufkin 1-0
Whitehouse beat Marshall

Game 9
Pine Tree beat Hallsville 2-1
John Tyler beat Jacksonville 2-1
Lufkin beat Marshall 8-0
WH beat Nac 4-0

Game 10
Whitehouse beat Hallsville 1-0
Pine Tree beat John Tyler 3-1
Jacksonville beat Marshall 5-0
Lufkin beat Nac 2-0

Game 11
Lufkin and Hallsville TIE 2-2; Lufkin wins the shootout 4-3
Jacksonville beat Nac 3-0
Whitehouse beat Pine Tree 2-1
John Tyler beat Marshall 

Standings
Lufkin (8-1-2) , (10-7-3)
Whitehouse (7-2-2), (8-8-2)
Jacksonville (6-3-2) , (12-7-3)
Pine Tree (6-5) , (9-8-1)
John Tyler (6-5), (7-10-2)
Hallsville (5-4-2), (9-6-4)

Nacogdoches (1-10) ,  (4-10-1) 
Marshall (0-11) ,  (5-12)

I'M WORKING ON GETTING THE POINTS SYSTEM TALLIED UP.  WITH SO MANY TIES IN THE RACE (FOUR I BELIEVE).... IT COULD BE A FACTOR IN THE PLAYOFF CHASE.  HAVE TO LIVE WITH DISTRICT RECORD FOR NOW.   

LUFKIN CONTINUES TO HOLD ONTO A PAPER-THIN LEAD OVER WHITEHOUSE FOR THE DISTRICT TITLE.  MEANWHILE THE RACE FOR THE THIRD AND FOURTH PLAYOFF SLOTS IS COMING DOWN TO THE WIRE WITH THREE TEAMS SITTING WITH 6 WINS .  HALLSVILLE'S PLAYOFF HOPES ARE CLINGING BY A THREAD.  

15-5A Boys Soccer

GAME 5
SS beat Royse City 1-0 in Double OT
MP beat Lindale 5-1
Texas High beat Greenville 5-3 in 2OT

Game 6
SS beat Greenville 2-1
Lindale beat RC 4-3
MP beat Texas High 8-0

Game 7
SS beat Lindale 3-0
RC beat Texas High 5-0
MP beat Greenville 3-0

Game 8
MP beat SS 6-0
Lindale beat Texas 6-1
RC beat Greenville 2-0

Standings
Mount Pleasant (8-0) , (14-6-1) 
Sulphur Springs (6-2) , (12-6-5)
Lindale (5-3) , (10-9-1) 
Royse City (4-4) , (8-9-1)
Texas High (1-7) , (9-12-3)
Greenville (0-8) , (1-17-3)

THE PLAYOFF TEAMS ARE SET....THE ORDER IS ALL BUT CEMENTED TOO.  MP CLINCHED THE DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP FRIDAY NIGHT WITH THEIR RESOUNDING WIN OVER SS.  THE WILDCATS WILL SETTLE FOR SECOND PLACE.  LINDALE IS ALL ALONE IN THIRD WITH THEIR WIN OVER TEXARKANA AND RC HAS CLINCHED THE FINAL PLAYOFF SPOT WITH A 3 GAME LEAD OVER TEXAS HIGH.

15-5A Girls Soccer

GAME 5
MP beat Lindale 1-0
SS beat RC 3-1
Texas beat Greenville 

Game 6
Texas High beat MP 4-3 in 2OT
RC beat Lindale 2-0
SS beat Greenville 4-1

Game 7
MP beat Greenville 4-1
SS beat Lindale 4-0
RC beat Texas High 

Game 8
SS beat MP 3-2
Lindale beat Texas 1-0
RC beat Greenville 4-1 (?)

Standings
Sulphur Springs (7-1) , (11-7-1)
Mount Pleasant (6-2) , (14-6-1)
Royse City (6-2) , (7-10-4)
Lindale (3-5) ,  (4-14-3)
Texas High (2-6) , (4-10-0)
Greenville (0-8) , (0-15-1)

SULPHUR SPRINGS SEIZED CONTROL OF FIRST PLACE FRIDAY NIGHT WITH A HUGE WIN OVER MP, KNOCKING THE LADY TIGERS INTO  A TIE FOR SECOND PLACE WITH ROYSE CITY.  LINDALE'S WIN OVER TEXAS HIGH PUT THEM A STEP CLOSER TO THE PLAYOFFS WHILE PUTTING TEXARKANA'S ON LIFE SUPPORT.  LOOKS TO BE A GREAT FINISH FOR THE FINAL TWO GAMES.

56 minutes ago, Aledo said:

We are going to find out if the rankings matter much. They play at 1 today. Also going with Burleson Centennial over Mansfield Timberview, FB Hightower over Shadow Creek, and Wagner over Harlan. I kinda think SC wins but I'm cheering against them. Not a fan of new schools succeeding right away. They should have to go through the dog days like everyone else lol. 

Not to mention SC has had Some really great success in football too. 

Shouldn’t they have to pay dues for 70-80 years before contending?   Lmao 

4 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Dang Marshall a combined 0-21 in soccer?!? Weve never been a powerhouse but usually middle of pack anyway. Anybody have an opinion on why?

Because they have scored less goals then all 21 of their opponents:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Our soccer program is not that bad but we aren’t great neither we are in danger of not even making the playoffs and that’s never been a issue.

Our men's team have let a few games slip away they shouldn't have lost. Our women's team is not good, our women's teams as a whole have been down for a few years now. 

We see a higher % female athletes leave the district especially for Volleyball and Softball at an early age. They end up at Chireno, Central Heights and Woden.

18 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Dang Marshall a combined 0-21 in soccer?!? Weve never been a powerhouse but usually middle of pack anyway. Anybody have an opinion on why?

Not just losing. They aren’t even competitive most games.  Like 8-0 and such. 

Never seen them struggle like they are now.  Can’t pinpoint why.  They have numbers from what I hear. 

A good city soccer league is in place. 

Honestly..... I don’t know.  But it’s ugly. 

On the bright side.... the Lady Mav softball team is 17-4 I believe.  They start district on a Tuesday Vs JT. 

Some schools are good at some sports.  Terrible at others.  Soccer is Clearly our terrible.  

I guess the positive for MP is their only bad sport is football. But ugh in the State of Texas it should be the better sport. But its ok. I will take what we can get right. Best basketball team they have ever had. Idk yet how baseball and softball look. But looking like playoff runs for soccer again.

On 3/8/2020 at 8:18 PM, Aledo said:

What do you think it will take for MP to become a consistent playoff contender? 

From the outside looking in.....

1.  Numbers-   Too few athletes coming out for football.  MP may have the smallest roster in the district.   Two way players.   No room for injuries. 

2.  Be patient with new coaches.  A few times I felt like MP was running off coaches too soon.  Give them time to get a program built. MP didn’t fall into a ditch overnight.  They won’t climb out of it overnight. 

3. Demographics.  You can’t ignore the change in demographics at MP.  It’s a majority Hispanic school now.   I do not buy into the idea that Hispanics can’t/don’t play football.  It’s a lie.  The truth?:  SOME coaches don’t recruit hispanic athletes to play football like they do whites and blacks.  JMHO.  But seeing the success of MPs soccer team year in and year out..... the athletes are there.  

4. Bad Alignment luck-   Being in a district with Texas High, Longview, Marshall, Sulphur Springs...... for the last 20 years hasn’t helped.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Lady Mavs beat JT in the district opener 15-0 in three innings. 

Baseball is improving at JT, but they still have a long ways to go.  But I like their coach, and he is doing things to build confidence in the program.  

But softball has a bigger hill to climb.  It is night and day between the baseball/softball programs at JT vs Lee.