2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

On 3/8/2020 at 10:03 PM, Mavchamp said:

From the outside looking in.....

1.  Numbers-   Too few athletes coming out for football.  MP may have the smallest roster in the district.   Two way players.   No room for injuries. 

2.  Be patient with new coaches.  A few times I felt like MP was running off coaches too soon.  Give them time to get a program built. MP didn’t fall into a ditch overnight.  They won’t climb out of it overnight. 

3. Demographics.  You can’t ignore the change in demographics at MP.  It’s a majority Hispanic school now.   I do not buy into the idea that Hispanics can’t/don’t play football.  It’s a lie.  The truth?:  SOME coaches don’t recruit hispanic athletes to play football like they do whites and blacks.  JMHO.  But seeing the success of MPs soccer team year in and year out..... the athletes are there.  

4. Bad Alignment luck-   Being in a district with Texas High, Longview, Marshall, Sulphur Springs...... for the last 20 years hasn’t helped.  

This. All of this

• Like 1

16-5A Softball

Game 1
Marshall beat John Tyler 15-0
Lufkin beat Pine Tree 17-6
Jacksonville beat Nacogdoches 18-3
Hallsville beat Whitehouse  12-3

Game 2
Pine Tree beat Nac 15-13
Jacksonville beat Lufkin 11-0
Marshall Vs. Hallsville (Thursday)
Whitehouse Vs. John Tyler (Thursday)

Standings
Jacksonville (2-0) , (10-4)
Marshall (1-0) , (17-5)
Hallsville (1-0) , (11-4-1)
Lufkin (1-1) , (5-9)
Pine Tree (1-1) , (5-14)
Whitehouse (0-1) , (8-5)
John Tyler (0-1) , (?-?)
Nacogdoches (0-2) , (3-4)

--------------------------------------------

16-5A Boys Soccer

Game 12
NO TUESDAY GAMES- SPRING BREAK
Games will resume on Friday night.

Standings
John Tyler (9-1-1) , (15-7-1)
Jacksonville (9-2) , (17-5-1)
Whitehouse (8-1-2) , (16-2-3)
Lufkin (7-3-1) ,  (12-3-4)
Nacogdoches (4-5-2), (15-8-4)
Pine Tree (2-9), (4-11-5)
Hallsville (1-9-1) , (5-11-1)
Marshall (0-10-1) , (1-14)

It appears the four playoff teams have been set with JT, Jax, WH, and Lufkin.  Nac still has a mathematical chance.... but it's a slim one.  They would need to win out...and Lufkin to lose out.  The finish to the district title could be a great one.  JT has the upper hand with the sweep of Jacksonville.  But WH's tie with JT and the season finale Vs. the Lions could make things interesting for all three.  LP seems settled in the #4 spot...but their pedigree demands attention in the finals days of the race.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

16-5A Girls Soccer

Game 12
NO TUESDAY GAMES- SPRING BREAK
Games resume on Friday

Standings
Lufkin (8-1-2) , (10-7-3)
Whitehouse (7-2-2), (8-8-2)
Jacksonville (6-3-2) , (12-7-3)
Pine Tree (6-5) , (9-8-1)
John Tyler (6-5), (7-10-2)
Hallsville (5-4-2), (9-6-4)

Nacogdoches (1-10) ,  (4-10-1) 
Marshall (0-11) ,  (5-12)

Friday's Lufkin Vs. Whitehouse game is huge.  A WH win would create a tie for first place with two games remaining.  An LP win would all but give the title to Lufkin.  Jacksonville could creep up on WH with a win coupled with a WH loss.  Pine Tree and JT are knotted up for the final playoff spot and Hallsville is lurking just behind them.  Shaping up for a great race to the end.

15-5A Boys Soccer

Game 9
Mount Pleasant beat Royse City 8-0
Lindale beat Greenville 3-1
Sulphur Springs  beat Texas High

Standings
Mount Pleasant (9-0) , (15-6-1) 
Sulphur Springs (7-2) , (13-6-5)
Lindale (6-3) , (11-9-1) 
Royse City (4-5) , (8-10-1)
Texas High (1-8) , (9-13-3)
Greenville (0-9) , (1-18-3)

The playoff field is set.  Teams will be off for spring break until the season finale next week.

15-5A Girls Soccer

Game 9
Texas beat Sulphur Springs 2-0
Lindale beat Greenville 3-2
Mount Pleasant beat Royse City 2-0

Standings
Sulphur Springs (7-2) , (11-8-1)
Mount Pleasant (7-2) , (15-6-1)
Royse City (6-3) , (7-11-4)
Lindale (4-5) ,  (5-14-3)
Texas High (3-6) , (5-10-0)
Greenville (0-9) , (0-16-1)

Texas High got the upset of the night with their shocking win over Sulphur Springs.  It kept Texarkana's slim playoff hopes alive, but it knocked the Ladycats into a tie for first with Mount Pleasant.  RC is firmly in third place.  Lindale is in fourth with a paper-thin lead over Texas High.

It's early....but the softball game Thursday between Marshall and Hallsville is HUGE.  Winner becomes the favorite for the district title.....with Jacksonville lurking just behind.

Race between Hallsville, Marshall, and Jacksonville could be a fierce one.  

Things get murky after that.  WH and LP can't be overlooked.

Should be a FUN race to watch.

On 3/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, Mavchamp said:

It's early....but the softball game Thursday between Marshall and Hallsville is HUGE.  Winner becomes the favorite for the district title.....with Jacksonville lurking just behind.

Race between Hallsville, Marshall, and Jacksonville could be a fierce one.  

Things get murky after that.  WH and LP can't be overlooked.

Should be a FUN race to watch.

PLaying an easy pre district schedule would appear to be a huge game. However how did it end up?

UIL has announced that all sporting events will be postponed until April.  They will re-evaluate the situation at that time.  

Here is how things stand headed into the hiatus: 

16-5A Softball

Game 1
Marshall beat John Tyler 15-0
Lufkin beat Pine Tree 17-6
Jacksonville beat Nacogdoches 18-3
Hallsville beat Whitehouse  12-3

Game 2
Pine Tree beat Nac 15-13
Jacksonville beat Lufkin 11-0
Hallsville beat Marshall 10-0
Whitehouse beat John Tyler 19-0

Standings
Jacksonville (2-0) , (10-4)
Hallsville (2-0) , (12-4-1)
Marshall (1-1) , (17-6)
Lufkin (1-1) , (5-9)
Pine Tree (1-1) , (5-14)
Whitehouse (1-1) , (8-5)
John Tyler (0-2) , (?-?)
Nacogdoches (0-2) , (3-4)

As expected.......Jacksonville and Hallsville are atop the district standings.  Meanwhile four teams have split their first two games.  JT and Nac are in early holes at (0-2).

--------------------------------------------

16-5A Boys Soccer

Game 12
Jacksonville beat Hallsville 3-1
Whitehouse beat Lufkin 5-3
John Tyler Vs. Nacogdoches- POSTPONED
Marshall Vs. Pine Tree

Standings
John Tyler (9-1-1) , (15-7-1)
Jacksonville (10-2) , (18-5-1)
Whitehouse (9-1-2) , (17-2-3)
Lufkin (7-4-1) ,  (12-4-4)
Nacogdoches (4-5-2), (15-8-4)
Pine Tree (2-9), (4-11-5)
Hallsville (1-10-1) , (5-12-1)
Marshall (0-10-1) , (1-14)

Whitehouse's win over LP solidified the Wildcat's spot at #3 and Lufkin at #4.  Jacksonville remains within striking distance of JT.....  the Lion's game Vs. Nac will have to wait until the UIL resumes games.  The playoff teams are all but set with JT, Jax, WH, and Lufkin.  But the district title is still up for grabs as Jax and JT have a rematch looming for the regular season finale.

16-5A Girls Soccer

Game 12
Lufkin beat Whitehouse 3-1
Pine Tree beat Marshall 7-0
Jacksonville tied Hallsville 0-0; Jax won in PK 4-2
Nacogdoches Vs. John Tyler- POSTPONED 

Standings
Lufkin (9-1-2) , (11-7-3)
Whitehouse (7-3-2), (8-9-2)
Pine Tree (7-5) , (10-8-1)
Jacksonville (6-3-3) , (12-7-4)
John Tyler (6-5), (7-10-2)
Hallsville (5-4-3), (9-6-5)

Nacogdoches (1-10) ,  (4-10-1) 
Marshall (0-11) ,  (5-12)

Lufkin's win over Whitehouse virtually handed the district championship to the Lady Panthers.  Pine Tree's win coupled with Jacksonville's at Hallsville put the Lady Bucs into third place, while the Maidens drop to fourth.  If JT is in desperate need of a win over Nac... and still needs some help to catch Jax for the final playoff slot.  

15-5A Boys Soccer

Game 10
SPRING BREAK

Standings
Mount Pleasant (9-0) , (15-6-1) 
Sulphur Springs (7-2) , (13-6-5)
Lindale (6-3) , (11-9-1) 
Royse City (4-5) , (8-10-1)
Texas High (1-8) , (9-13-3)
Greenville (0-9) , (1-18-3)

The playoff field is set.  MP will be the district champion.  SS has settled into second place.  Lindale and Royse City round out the playoff field.  Not much to be decided in this race with one game remaining.

15-5A Girls Soccer

Game 10
SPRING BREAK

Standings
Sulphur Springs (7-2) , (11-8-1)
Mount Pleasant (7-2) , (15-6-1)
Royse City (6-3) , (7-11-4)
Lindale (4-5) ,  (5-14-3)
Texas High (3-6) , (5-10-0)
Greenville (0-9) , (0-16-1)

SS and MP are battling it out for the district title.  They split their games and they are tied headed into the regular season finale.  Looks to be a photo finish.  RC has clinched the #3 slot.  Texas High has a CHANCE to catch Lindale for the final playoff slot....  the TIgers would need a win over SS in the finale coupled with a Lindale loss to MP.  THS and Lindale split their series.  

6 hours ago, Greenville said:

Greenville's two soccer teams have played a combined 39 games...and won once. Ugh.

Marshall’s soccer teams are a combined 6-27-1 on the season.  0-21-1 in district.  

We use to Be competitive on the boys side. Made the playoffs regularly.  We have fallen into the abyss.   Girls have struggled since their inception.

Going to get even tougher with Longview, MP, and Sulphur Springs the next two years.   Hope they can get it together  

On 3/8/2020 at 9:03 PM, Mavchamp said:

From the outside looking in.....

1.  Numbers-   Too few athletes coming out for football.  MP may have the smallest roster in the district.   Two way players.   No room for injuries. 

2.  Be patient with new coaches.  A few times I felt like MP was running off coaches too soon.  Give them time to get a program built. MP didn’t fall into a ditch overnight.  They won’t climb out of it overnight. 

3. Demographics.  You can’t ignore the change in demographics at MP.  It’s a majority Hispanic school now.   I do not buy into the idea that Hispanics can’t/don’t play football.  It’s a lie.  The truth?:  SOME coaches don’t recruit hispanic athletes to play football like they do whites and blacks.  JMHO.  But seeing the success of MPs soccer team year in and year out..... the athletes are there.  

4. Bad Alignment luck-   Being in a district with Texas High, Longview, Marshall, Sulphur Springs...... for the last 20 years hasn’t helped.  

John Tyler is one of those schools that don’t. JT fans can’t over look the fact that JT is 60% to maybe 70% Latino now. You can’t tell me that there isn’t any tall Latino boys at JT to play basketball and football. When it comes to sports at JT a large of it is Segregated. The white kids played baseball and tennis and golf some of that is changing now. All of the Latinos played soccer and baseball, and all of the black kids at JT played football and basketball and ran track. If you did play football and you wasn’t black you were a kicker. This was how it was when I was at JT. I have said it before get some of the Latino kids that played football in middle school to continue to play in high school. Maybe then we will see more than 35 players on varsity.

Maverick Stadium will be getting new turf this summer.  

Problems have been found with the current turf.... that is only 3 years old.

Work on the gym should be starting before too long.  They will be replacing all the seating.   They have completed the new restrooms, Lorckerrooms, and scoreboards. 

Should be some more facility announcements coming in the next couple of months. 

21 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Maverick Stadium will be getting new turf this summer.  

Problems have been found with the current turf.... that is only 3 years old.

Work on the gym should be starting before too long.  They will be replacing all the seating.   They have completed the new restrooms, Lorckerrooms, and scoreboards. 

Should be some more facility announcements coming in the next couple of months. 

Who did y’all use for the turf that’s too soon to be replacing already.

3 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Who did y’all use for the turf that’s too soon to be replacing already.

Not sure. I’d have to find out. 

Hoping the concessions and restrooms finally get the renovations needed this summer. 

MISD, Hellas Reach Agreement For Turf Replacement In Maverick Stadium
Posted on 03/17/2020
This is the image for the news article titled MISD, Hellas Reach Agreement For Turf Replacement In Maverick StadiumMarshall ISD's Board of Trustees has approved a proposal from Hellas Construction, Inc., to replace the turf at Maverick Stadium at no cost to the district due to defects of the surface that was originally installed back in 2015.

MISD will be receiving an entire package of new pad, artificial turf and a new, underlying technology called Ecotherm at a cost not to exceed $300,000. Hellas will provide the new turf itself at no cost to the district, with the money spent serving only to pay for a new pad and Ecotherm system.

The new project will provide Maverick Stadium with a surface that is similar to that of other Hellas customers, including the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium and Ford Center, Baylor's McLane Stadium and the Houston Texans' NRG Stadium.

Total cost of the project would be roughly $1.3 million, with Hellas agreeing to absorb the cost of the turf itself. That gives MISD a savings of roughly $1 million for the entire project. The deal also comes with an 8-year warranty.

The Ecotherm system is designed to cool the turf to an approximate 30-degree difference from the current air temperature. 

MISD officials had noticed defects in the current turf which was installed by Hellas in 2015. After discussions with Hellas officials, the company made the offer to replace the turf at no cost to the district.

Next season should see the stadium, which will be 40 years old in September, with a new turf system. A new track has been installed around the playing surface in the last year, with a new press box also entering its third season this fall.

Plans are being considered for a renovation of the stadium restrooms this summer as well.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:
Plans are being considered for a renovation of the stadium restrooms this summer as well.

Best thing I’ve read all night. 

The restroom renovations at Mav Gym were unreal. Nicest HS bathrooms I’ve ever seen lmao. 

Hope it all comes together. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Mav, Hellas did our turf at Tomato Bowl. Great they are standing behind their work. 

Man.... I hope we go with the style Jacksonville did. 

Tomato bowl has the BEST turf in East Texas.

Only thing that would make it better would be red And white instead of blue and yellow LOL 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

You gonna get a strip of the old stuff to carpet your man cave with!!!

Funny you say that Nacwagons. When Tomato Bowl replaced the grass — last game was against Nac in Nov 2017 — the school district presented a few of us with a big chunk of Tomato Bowl grass in a nice big basket. It’s still sitting in my office. Yep, my wife says I need some serious counseling. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Matt said:

Funny you say that Nacwagons. When Tomato Bowl replaced the grass — last game was against Nac in Nov 2017 — the school district presented a few of us with a big chunk of Tomato Bowl grass in a nice big basket. It’s still sitting in my office. Yep, my wife says I need some serious counseling. 

😁

18 hours ago, Matt said:

I have a lot of great memories from the tomato bowl

• Like 1

No spring football for 5A/6A.

I'm assuming there won't be any 7 on 7.

Sounds like we will get an extra scrimmage.

Bad news for programs looking for a starting QB.  Makes those three games before district even bigger. 

Huge advantage for those with returning QB's.

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

No spring football for 5A/6A.

I'm assuming there won't be any 7 on 7.

Sounds like we will get an extra scrimmage.

Bad news for programs looking for a starting QB.  Makes those three games before district even bigger. 

Huge advantage for those with returning QB's.

Yeah we got a qb with varsity experience but I would have wanted Nac to get another spring ball with this coaching staff and system.