2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

13 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

No spring football for 5A/6A.

I'm assuming there won't be any 7 on 7.

Sounds like we will get an extra scrimmage.

Bad news for programs looking for a starting QB.  Makes those three games before district even bigger. 

Huge advantage for those with returning QB's.

I know Holmes and his coaching staff would've loved get his QBs reps during spring ball and 7 on 7 tournaments, but that's a wash now. I'm hoping they will let teams have some sort of offseason workouts(padless) in June or July. That's based on if we have this virus licked by late May.

This definitely puts Texas High in the catbird seat concerning QBs. 

Same with PT.  

They both have stud QBs returning.  

Sounds like Nac is pat there too  

Marshall, WH, Hallsville will all be looking. 

Not sure about Jax and MP off the top of my head.  I’d have to go looking. 

42 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

This definitely puts Texas High in the catbird seat concerning QBs. 

Same with PT.  

They both have stud QBs returning.  

Sounds like Nac is pat there too  

Marshall, WH, Hallsville will all be looking. 

Not sure about Jax and MP off the top of my head.  I’d have to go looking. 

Jax has another McCown on the way, i don't remember if he was freshman or an 8th grader last year.

1 hour ago, nacdragon07 said:

Yeah we got a qb with varsity experience but I would have wanted Nac to get another spring ball with this coaching staff and system. 

Yes me too!! our QB was on varsity last year but was the starter at Safety and our Punter. Very little varsity game experience. He won a lot of games 7th-JV seasons.

We have so many important peices coming back this season.  Some would say loaded.

But without a QB..... well....that's a game-changer in most cases.

Coaching staffs all over have their work cut out for them. 

If I learned anything last season.... I won't give up on our staff.  They overcame the loss of a D1 QB lost for the season..... overcame the death of a teammate..... overcame an 0-3 start (an UGLY 0-3 no less).  

Won their third straight district title.... kept the district winning streak alive......

Hard to think they won't overcome this too.  Overcoming makes success that much sweeter.  

@RandyJohnson

I could have sworn Kaden Casey was a Sr. this past fall.  I could be wrong.

WH is losing most of their offense to graduation.

Graduating seniors for WH:
Kaden Casey- 1635 passing.  20 TDs.  Also their leading rusher with 892 yards- 12 TDs
Peyton Kennedy- 658 rushing; 5 TDs
Carther Adams- 576 rushing.; 5 TDs
Skyler Trevino- 704 receiving; 7 TDs
Kendall Woods 317 receiving; 3 TDs

Not sure about their OL.  But that's a lot to replace.....

THS and PT seem to be in the best position when it comes to offense.  Defense will be the ? for the Pirates.

THS clearly the favorite going in.  A matter of can Marshall settle in at QB?  

Most of the offense and defense will be returning for Marshall.  But THS is coming off that monster win at Lufkin.  They are the clear early faves IMHO.

MISD approves $375,000 renovation to Maverick Gymnasium.  This will continue the gym project that started with  complete renovations to the restrooms and locker rooms  last summer.  

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/news/marshall-isd-trustees-approve-high-school-gym-reno-employee-pay/article_89a0093e-6fbf-11ea-8c72-5bc1c9667857.html

New Seating throughout 

New Floor

New scorer’s table

On 3/26/2020 at 11:46 AM, Nacwagons said:

Jax has another McCown on the way, i don't remember if he was freshman or an 8th grader last year.

JAX starting QB from last year, Patrick Clater, is back. Played every snap as junior.  Yeah, Ryan McCown, son Randy, will be a sophomore QB next year. Very talented as you would expect. We have several MCCowns in the pipeline from 3rd grade to 9th grade now. Some them are Bolton’s.... their sister, Amy. 

Swimming Regional has changed!!! All East Texas have been moved to Region 4 and swim the regional in the Dallas area. Region 5 was the fastest region in the state and is where Nac has been for the last 4 years!! 

Highland Park is the favorite out of District 13

Forney is the favorite in 14

Texas High is the favorite out of District 15

Nacogdoches is the favorite out of District 16

Whitehouse and Henderson moved from distirct 16 to 15 and Huntsville joins Distirct 16.

I know no one cares but me, but what else is there to talk about??Swimming Regions.PNG

All the "old turf" (3 years old?) at Maverick Stadium has been pulled up.

They are about to put down the new "heat resistant" base..... 

Can't wait to see the new design. 

They will use the new Mav Logo at midfield. 

But I'm more interested in how they redesign the endzones.  Hoping they don't do the ALL RED endzones again.  It always seems like it fades over time.  Leave it green and spell out MAVERICKS in Red/White.  JMHO.

But I'm REALLY hoping they do the field like the Tomato Bowl.  It's THE BEST looking turf field in East Texas.

I'll post pics as soon as they get things settled.

New Track, new turf, new pressbox, new lighting... it’s all brand new.  The video board is only 3years old I believe.   

That only leaves replacing the seating, concessions, and restrooms left to work on.  It's all coming together.  

8 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

Swimming Regional has changed!!! All East Texas have been moved to Region 4 and swim the regional in the Dallas area. Region 5 was the fastest region in the state and is where Nac has been for the last 4 years!! 

Highland Park is the favorite out of District 13

Forney is the favorite in 14

Texas High is the favorite out of District 15

Nacogdoches is the favorite out of District 16

Whitehouse and Henderson moved from distirct 16 to 15 and Huntsville joins Distirct 16.

I know no one cares but me, but what else is there to talk about??Swimming Regions.PNG

Hoping we are back to some semblance of normal by the end of May. However, my money says that none of this will happen until much later, if at all.  According to the CDC, these virus restrictions will not go away until 60% of the United States population has reach the immunity stage for COVID-19.  In other words, survived it.  Social distancing of 6 ft apart and gatherings will not be held for a long while yet.  Maybe June or July??    We will know better where things may stand after the next 2 or 3 weeks and not before, the next two will be the worst yet.   My honest opinion is our football season will look much different than we have ever known it in our life times, no matter your age.  We as a people will not be the same on the other side of this thing I assure you.  Stay safe and healthy all.

Very excited about the turf.  Looks like it will be styled after Jacksonville’s.... which IMHO is the best looking turf in the region. 

The black end zones look fantastic.  Wouldn’t have guessed that.  But it’s a great decision. 

Updated the website a bit: 

https://www.marshallmavericks.net

Always open to suggestions.  

I can’t wait to see what the gym is going to look like after the renovation.  It’s going to be top notch.  

Coach G and Dr Gibson have done a fantastic job upgrading the facilities.  

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

20 weeks from football if things go as scheduled.

Still hoping we can complete the spring sports this summer.  But time is definitely becoming an issue.

With the governor set to release a plan next week to move us closer to normal. The timing of his plan will be the final deciding factor on whether or not we will finish the spring sports.

I really hope we can finish as well. The seniors deserve to be able to finish their final year!!

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

With the governor set to release a plan next week to move us closer to normal. The timing of his plan will be the final deciding factor on whether or not we will finish the spring sports.

I really hope we can finish as well. The seniors deserve to be able to finish their final year!!

yep. His announcement next week will be huge for UIL/schools. 

46 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

So now it's May 13th?  

Time is slipping away.....still doable.  But it's not going to be easy.

The emergency declaration is to May 13th that keeps it open for Texas to obtain federal funding for another 30 days. This isn't set yet that UIL is pushed to then just yet. Now that could change this week but if it is pushed any further then they are done. The only thing I could see happening is maybe each district plays a championship tournament and the top team or 2 makes the playoffs. That would shorten the playoffs to be finished by June, At this point who knows what will happen.

I saw College St ISD announced they are going back to school May 4th with proms happening the following weekend and graduation on May 30th.Their back up dates are June 12th Proms and June 30th Graduations. 

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

I saw College St ISD announced they are going back to school May 4th with proms happening the following weekend and graduation on May 30th.Their back up dates are June 12th Proms and June 30th Graduations. 

That can only happen if everything stands like it has been announced right now. If Abbott makes an extension they will have to follow it. Should know later this week. 

17 hours ago, dillonpanthers said:

That can only happen if everything stands like it has been announced right now. If Abbott makes an extension they will have to follow it. Should know later this week. 

Yes I agree!! College St is the first school district that I have seen that has announced plans to do anything at all.