2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

5 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

and just out of curiosity who is this Wolf person you talking about?

Because if its who I think it is...I believe this is the same person who had a meltdown replying to my comments after JT beat his team.  The meltdown was so bad he got kicked off Smoaky and had to come back as another name. 

please tell me this ain't the person you are referring to

I think it is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Any of these teams in danger of dropping to 4a or is Kilgore or Chapel Hill close? 

Lindale was the smallest 5a school last time and Sulphur Springs ain't that far behind.   I don't think Kilgore or CH are coming up.

seems like Lindale is the Highland park of UIL cutoff, except Lindale would rather be on the other side of the line like HIghland Park..lol

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Lindale was the smallest 5a school last time and Sulphur Springs ain't that far behind.   I don't think Kilgore or CH are coming up.

seems like Lindale is the Highland park of UIL cutoff, except Lindale would rather be on the other side of the line like HIghland Park..lol

I think Lindale adds to already competitive District. They may replace Carthage which is on the D1 cutoff line for 4aD2.

Not sure how to express my thoughts here, however it just seems to me that 5A Div I Region II is down this year.  District 5-5A has no one there but Highland Park, Lancaster and maybe Timberview.  In 6-5A Lone Star Hands down is the best, The Colony, Independence and Wakeland.  After those 4 there's not much, but 6-5A looks to be the strongest of the 4 districts right now.  District 7-5A in my opinion is wide open.  Texas High and Sherman look to have a strong start, but after them it is anybody on any given night.

Now 8-5A is a mystery.. Lufkin looks to be the favorite but they can only compared  themselves against  two top rated opponents.  Huntsville in a scrimmage and Longview.  Need to be careful on assumptions until  Lufkin plays and beats someone better.  College Station will still be competitive in this district, they upset Huntsville at home.  Magnolia  and Magnolia West are under the radar and can not be discounted.  They have played a decent non district, but got pounded by Shadow Creek and Richmond Foster respectively . RF also pounded College Station.   So, not sure if that shows a disparity or what.  Just saying that Lufkin had better be careful thinking how good they are by beating people in their district, much less if they lose to one of them.      Lone Star and Highland Park , The Colony  and the likes of Independence, Wakeland and Lancaster  are all players here. Maybe even JT when it's all said and done.  Not as far fetched as one may think considering the rest of that 7-5A district.   I think things are  really up for grabs in 5A Div I Region II this year.   Each week will be a key game.  The teams that start out the best will have the inside track to a playoff spot.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Not sure how to express my thoughts here, however it just seems to me that 5A Div I Region II is down this year.  District 5-5A has no one there but Highland Park, Lancaster and maybe Timberview.  In 6-5A Lone Star Hands down is the best, The Colony, Independence and Wakeland.  After those 4 there's not much, but 6-5A looks to be the strongest of the 4 districts right now.  District 7-5A in my opinion is wide open.  Texas High and Sherman look to have a strong start, but after them it is anybody on any given night.

Now 8-5A is a mystery.. Lufkin looks to be the favorite but they can only compared  themselves against  two top rated opponents.  Huntsville in a scrimmage and Longview.  Need to be careful on assumptions until  Lufkin plays and beats someone better.  College Station will still be competitive in this district, they upset Huntsville at home.  Magnolia  and Magnolia West are under the radar and can not be discounted.  They have played a decent non district, but got pounded by Shadow Creek and Richmond Foster respectively . RF also pounded College Station.   So, not sure if that shows a disparity or what.  Just saying that Lufkin had better be careful thinking how good they are by beating people in their district, much less if they lose to one of them.      Lone Star and Highland Park , The Colony  and the likes of Independence, Wakeland and Lancaster  are all players here. Maybe even JT when it's all said and done.  Not as far fetched as one may think considering the rest of that 7-5A district.   I think things are  really up for grabs in 5A Div I Region II this year.   Each week will be a key game.  The teams that start out the best will have the inside track to a playoff spot.

It’s Lone Star and HP right now as the heavy favorites. If the Pack dominate district and stay healthy, maybe we’ll have a chance to make it to at least the 3rd or 4th round. JT needs to find a offense, but they should still make the playoffs in a weak district with Poteet struggling. I’m looking forward to the game against Thigh and North. I hope Texas high wins the district. I do agree on the region too, as of right now it seems like a down year with district 6 being the best with three 3-0 teams. HP and Lancaster may have something to say about that. Timberview is another team to watch out for. I think they made the third round last season.

I’m just looking forward to district. The first few weeks should give us a lot of answers about several of these teams. But I think LS and HP are the real deal this year and are probably better than last season. 

• Like 1

Poteet defeating Lee 19-14 was kinda surprising to me. The first win for Poteet this season over a Lee team that was playing well. I think it's clear that 7-5A is wide open. Thigh, North, JT and Poteet all have a chance imo to win it. Not sure who's the better team in that district right now, but the first week should answer a few questions about that. While listening to the game, it seems the cujo offense still struggled to score in the game. Finally scored a td late with less than 2 minutes remaining. We'll see..

The real games will start next week for the two D1 districts and the D2 Region 3 district of east Texas. It should be fun. College station was the only team to play this week from our district and won over Nuevo Leon (Mex.) 48-9. 

17 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Poteet defeating Lee 19-14 was kinda surprising to me. The first win for Poteet this season over a Lee team that was playing well. I think it's clear that 7-5A is wide open. Thigh, North, JT and Poteet all have a chance imo to win it. Not sure who's the better team in that district right now, but the first week should answer a few questions about that. While listening to the game, it seems the cujo offense still struggled to score in the game. Finally scored a td late with less than 2 minutes remaining. We'll see..

The real games will start next week for the three D1 districts. It should be fun. College station was the only team to play this week from our district and won over Nuevo Leon (Mex.) 48-9. 

Lee dropped 3 clear interceptions in this game.  This 7/5a district is hard to judge right now.

20 minutes ago, Goodellsmostwanted said:

Jt is the favorite against thigh but I think this has a chance of being a game. 

only because of recent history.  THigh seems to be playing better...BUT they did play basically three 4a schools in their schedule. (Arkansas HIgh would be a 4a school in TX).  

Dallas Jesuit is 2-2 this yr and they just beat Plano West 60-0 and Wylie 31-10 week before.  JT is way better than Jesuit in the scrimmage.  So maybe it's JT schedule that has them looking this bad...but then you have the Lee loss.  

I agree, THigh has a chance of winning this game.  Glad its in Tyler.

6 hours ago, stevenbugkiller said:

Lee dropped 3 clear interceptions in this game.  This 7/5a district is hard to judge right now.

Agree. It’s very difficult to judge. Most of the good teams from last season are down. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if JT or Poteet won it. As of right now, it doesn’t look like a strong district. I think North has probably looked the best so far in preseason. But their defense hasn’t played well. Not sure who should be the favorite right now..

6 hours ago, Goodellsmostwanted said:

Jt is the favorite against thigh but I think this has a chance of being a game. 

Yea, I’m expecting a good one. Thigh is playing well. Honestly, Wouldn’t be surprised at either team winning. Although i don’t think Jt is that good right now, the struggles may be because of their schedule. And Thigh is playing well, but we still don’t know how good they are right now because of the schedule. I think the winner of this one will have a great chance at winning the 7-5A trophy. 

Here we go..... District play is officially underway!

Who you got?

9-5A Div II
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree
Lindale Vs. Marshall
Jacksonville Vs. Nacogdoches
Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse

7-5A Div I
Texas High Vs. John Tyler
Sherman Vs. McKinney North
Wylie East Vs. West Mesquite
Mesquite Poteet (Bye)

8-5A Div II
College Station Vs. Caney Creek
Magnolia Vs. Waller
TOmball Vs. Magnolia West
Lufkin Vs Willis 

Not sure how many people are even on there keeping up with the other 5A D2 district with Sulphur Springs, Greenville, Corsicana, and Ennis.  It's a 9 team district, so they are well into district play.  

8-5A Div II Standings
Royse City (2-0) (4-0)
Corsicana (2-0) (3-1)
Ennis (2-0) (3-1)
North Forney (1-1) (3-1)
Forney (1-1) (2-2)
Terrell (1-1) (1-3)
Greenville (0-1) (1-2)
Kaufman (0-2) (0-4)
Sulphur Springs (0-3) (0-5)

Corsicana Vs. North Forney
Ennis Vs. Terrell
Greenville Vs. Kaufman
Forney Vs. Royse City
Sulphur Springs- BYE

9-5A Div II
Hallsville Vs. Pine Tree - Going with the Pirates at home.  The theme seems the same for PT in 2019 as it has been for the last few years.  Tons of offense.... very little defense.  Both teams have had pretty soft non-district schedules.  Hard to say where either of them are in  the grand scheme of things.  But taking PT to open with the win.  Neither of them have a win to really BRAG about... but both have losses that should be concerning considering the level of competition of which they lost to.

Lindale Vs. Marshall-  Self admitted TOTAL homer pick for me .  Lindale isn't anywhere near the level of Longview or Carthage IMHO. That's not a dig at the Eagles....but honestly about where those two programs are.   I'm going credit a bulk of our pitifulness (is that word?) to their defenses.  There were a couple of tackles made by outstanding defenses that probably would have been some longer runs/possible scores Vs. teams not named Longview and Carthage.  We shall see.  Settling in on a QB.... holding and moving the ball with an occasional score SHOULD allow our defense to win us a game or two until things get firing.  We shall see.  Another offensive squat this week and we could be in for a looooong conclusion to this season. score

Jacksonville Vs. Nacogdoches-  The Dragons have been horrendous at home the last few years.  But they should be able to take care of JAX on this night.  I think Nac is starting to find their groove.  And playing a team not named Lufkin or a much bigger 6A Lee team should help.  The Kilgore loss is troubling.... considering how Texas High smacked Kilgore.  Neither team seems to have much defense.... so this could be a high scoring affair.  Maybe a repeat of their multiple OT games of old?  We shall see.

Mount Pleasant Vs. Whitehouse-  Mount Pleasant is feeling pretty confident after starting (2-0) and hanging with Paris for a bit last week before falling.  The problem is.... .their two wins are against teams that are a combined (1-6).  Whitehouse has played a tough schedule...but hasn't had a ton of success other than eeking a win over Chapel Hill, who is (2-2).  This could prove to be a competitive game.  Going with the WIldcats with the home win..... and the fact that WH seems to have a little more offense against better competition.  

7-5A Div I
Texas High Vs. John Tyler- Texas High seems to have found their groove.... albeit against some questionable competition with Arkansas High and Liberty Eylau.  However... the win over Kilgore raises some eyebrows.  The Tiger offense has been humming the last two weeks while the defense has been plenty stingy.  Meanwhile.... JT has been struggling offensively most of the season against some stiff competition.    Neither team winning would shock me.... but going for the mild upset as THS get a big road win.
Sherman Vs. McKinney North- Should be a good game it looks on paper.  Going with Sherman for no reason at all TBH.
Wylie East Vs. West Mesquite-  WM seems to be struggling.... but WE was the basement dweller last season.  Whoever loses this game could end up there again.  Going with WE.
Mesquite Poteet (Bye)

8-5A Div II
College Station Vs. Caney Creek
Magnolia Vs. Waller
TOmball Vs. Magnolia West
Lufkin Vs. Willis-  Lufkin will win and it won't be close.  

8-5A Div II Standings
Royse City (2-0) (4-0)
Corsicana (2-0) (3-1)
Ennis (2-0) (3-1)
North Forney (1-1) (3-1)
Forney (1-1) (2-2)
Terrell (1-1) (1-3)
Greenville (0-1) (1-2)
Kaufman (0-2) (0-4)
Sulphur Springs (0-3) (0-5)

Corsicana Vs. North Forney- This could be a pretty good game.  Going with the defending district champs for a tough road game win.
Ennis Vs. Terrell- Ennis by a lot.
Greenville Vs. Kaufman- Greenville going to get themselves into the playoff chat.......for a week.
Forney Vs. Royse City- RC has been building towards this for a couple of years.  They get the win.  Looking to a showdown Vs. Corsicana.
Sulphur Springs- BYE.  Man... the wildcats have fallen off a cliff.  

1 minute ago, Mavchamp said:

Isn't two September beatdowns enough for us?

Haha. Man I don’t consider us worlds ahead of Marshall. I know y’all went through some rough times but it’s not like we were out there winning titles 😬 It would be nice to see, just for old times sake. Last season could’ve been a good one. Im hoping y’all get turned around this year, just a series of unfortunate events for Marshall so far. Still have time 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread