2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

I agree. It’s hard to say they’re overrated when they’ve been more consistent than even JT has been. They’re only 4 years removed from reaching State. Super young school still too. They’re not going away.

44 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I agree. It’s hard to say they’re overrated when they’ve been more consistent than even JT has been. They’re only 4 years removed from reaching State. Super young school still too. They’re not going away.

Definitely not overrated......they're going away only in the sense they'll be moving up.....if not in 2020 pretty sure in 2022.......

55 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Definitely not overrated......they're going away only in the sense they'll be moving up.....if not in 2020 pretty sure in 2022.......

I can't see it with the way Frisco ISD has continually been able to avoid any of their schools moving up to 6A. Don't they have another school opening up soon as well?

I want to say something about Lone Star. Lufkin would have been in a close fight in that game even if you eliminated our 6 TOs and played our starting QB the whole game. They were a super good team, very good defensively. Superior coaching. Lone Star was not even the best team in the Frisco area last year, Reedy was better. That Frisco area has a ton of talent, great coaching and awesome facilities they share with the Dallas Cowboys and MSL Pro Soccer.

LS is not overrated at all, they have a stout football program from top to bottom. Highland Park had to kick a FG with 3 seconds left in the game to beat Lone Star in district play.

5A Div I Region II is a bear of a playoff gauntlet with JT,  HP,  LS , Lancaster and Poteet. You get through that, there's probably Denton Ryan waiting for you. There's nothing overrated about any of it and Lufkin has yet to prove anything in three years they have been in 5A.  If anyone has been overrated the last few years,  it's been Lufkin.

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I can't see it with the way Frisco ISD has continually been able to avoid any of their schools moving up to 6A. Don't they have another school opening up soon as well?

No considerations for another new HS until 2021 is what I'm told.  So, depending on enrollment numbers in October and UIL cut off numbers, you never know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

You're right.

They have another opening in 2021, but that one wouldn't effect Lone Star.

However, Frisco Memorial opened last year...that one effects Lone Star's growth. Wakeland and Heritage as well.

TEA site says LS was only at 2090 in the fall and that was the largest Frisco school. And keep in mind Memorial didn't have 9-12 yet in the fall. So when they do, naturally LS will be even more effected. 

4 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I want to say something about Lone Star. Lufkin would have been in a close fight in that game even if you eliminated our 6 TOs and played our starting QB the whole game. They were a super good team, very good defensively. Superior coaching. Lone Star was not even the best team in the Frisco area last year, Reedy was better. That Frisco area has a ton of talent, great coaching and awesome facilities they share with the Dallas Cowboys and MSL Pro Soccer.

LS is not overrated at all, they have a stout football program from top to bottom. Highland Park had to kick a FG with 3 seconds left in the game to beat Lone Star in district play.

5A Div I Region II is a bear of a playoff gauntlet with JT,  HP,  LS , Lancaster and Poteet. You get through that, there's probably Denton Ryan waiting for you. There's nothing overrated about any of it and Lufkin has yet to prove anything in three years they have been in 5A.  If anyone has been overrated the last few years,  it's been Lufkin.

A lot of this is true,  but JT handled them rather easily in the playoffs last year. I hear they have a good QB who just moved in from Tomball Memorial about 3 months ago. 

On 7/15/2019 at 7:36 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Its a little tough to compare them to JT over the past 4 yrs in 5a, since JT was in 6a for 2 of those yrs...However, I think they are a solid program.  Its possible that they had a let down after coming off a big win against Lufkin the week before.  Regardless, I think they should be respected because they have been very good lately.

On 7/15/2019 at 1:17 PM, ANTI said:

You're right.

They have another opening in 2021, but that one wouldn't effect Lone Star.

However, Frisco Memorial opened last year...that one effects Lone Star's growth. Wakeland and Heritage as well.

TEA site says LS was only at 2090 in the fall and that was the largest Frisco school. And keep in mind Memorial didn't have 9-12 yet in the fall. So when they do, naturally LS will be even more effected. 

Frisco should stop and accept their eventual fate, which is 6a. They have just about ran out of room to build any more high schools in Frisco. I would bet they have more high schools in a 5 mile radius than any other school district in Texas.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:36 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Well I guess overrated is the wrong word but Idk it’s just when they played JT I didn’t see the hype. They weren’t all that great to me. Imo I thought Lancaster was better than them. Even when they went to state in Houston I was there and I wasn’t impressed then, me and a lot of people in the stands felt that way too. Also I feel there success was a product of the region being pretty weak the last few years also outside of last year. But that’s just my opinion idk. 

I'm looking forward to all the East Texas 5A district races.

While Marshall is being picked by most...... I honestly think Nac and PT are going to give some resistance.  It's not going to be a cakewalk IMHO.  And I'm not willing to look past Lindale or WH either.  Both have offenses that can give defenses fits.  

I don't think JT's district will be as competitive outside of WM and the Lions....but the race for #3 and #4 could be interesting.  Hoping Texas High can pull it together.....but that's a tough district to rebuild in.  I'm not envious. 

I honestly don't know enough about the other Div II district.  Seems like SS could be in for a long year.  But Corsicana and Ennis are annual playoff teams...nothing shocking there.  I'd love to see Greenville make some noise just because it's been so long for them.  Same for Royse City.....since we have a semi-recent history with them too.  The rest of that district outside of those 4 schools is unknown to me.

The Lufkin district is all unknown to me.  Sounds like another LP cakewalk.  Good luck to the Panthers.  

Outside of my Mavs.... I think LP and JT will be my adoptive playoff teams this fall.  Maybe Carthage...hahaha.  Depends how that game in September goes down on how much I cheer for them in November and December.

Should be a fun year for East Texas 5A.....I'm excited to see how it all unfolds.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Some 9th grade scrimmages tonight for these  schools. 

Nac Vs Lufkin

Marshall Vs JT

others? 

Reports? 

was told that the live portion for the JT/ Marshall scrimmage just started.  JT was 14-0 in controlled part.

10 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Is this a new rule allowing fresh to scrimmage a week before varsity or has it been done this way for a while?

New rule. Actually was pushed heavily by King.

9th grade is now pretty much treated like small schools. Meaning they didn't participate in spring ball, so they get two scrimmages now + extra week of practice.

https://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/et-football-freshmen-gain-extra-week-of-practice-this-season/article_4ab1381a-94f6-11e8-a7c0-f3439d5f0071.html

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ANTI said:

9th grade is now pretty much treated like small schools. Meaning they didn't participate in spring ball, so they get two scrimmages now + extra week of practice.

https://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/et-football-freshmen-gain-extra-week-of-practice-this-season/article_4ab1381a-94f6-11e8-a7c0-f3439d5f0071.html

I can understand the logic behind that.

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

This is the first year it's been allowed.

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

good thinking for King to push this.  I see why he is respected by so many of his peers. 

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread