2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Heard the Marshall defense looked pretty good tonight. 

Offense struggled. 

The expected 9th grade starter is in Carthage now.  👋 

for academic purposes of course 🙄

JT freshman scored 2 tds in the controlled portion and 1 td in the live portion. JT has a a VERY GOOD group of freshmen this season. I expect them to be very formidable in the future for JT. I think they're better than Lee's freshman class of last year. 

15 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

JT freshman scored 2 tds in the controlled portion and 1 td in the live portion. JT has a a VERY GOOD group of freshmen this season. I expect them to be very formidable in the future for JT. I think they're better than Lee's freshman class of last year. 

a hear its a very large group too, in size and number. 

• Like 1

Just now, JTFAN99 said:

a hear its a very large group too, in size and number. 

True! I expect them to get around 10 plus more players on the first day of school. I see them getting close to 55 or 60. Alot of potential out there for JT! Marshall will be good too with they're size and numbers. 

55 minutes ago, CUJONATION83 said:

Thanks for the update.  I had heard the defense had played pretty well..... but our offense was really struggling.  I'm sure JT was a big reason for that.

Yeah....Our 9th grade team won TWO district titles last season (Red team and White team)..... they will likely be our next great crop.  Gotta let them grow until it's time for Varsity.  Expectations are high for them in the future.

The QB from the #1 8th grade team last season is in Carthage now.  

Not thrilled about that...but it is what it is.

"Academic purposes"...... yeah... I think it's more of a baseball thing than football....  whatever.

------

We got a transfer from Carthage.... so maybe we worked out a trade.  I dunno.

JJJJKKKKK for those with ZERO sense of humor

11 hours ago, nacdragon07 said:

Fake news 

It was just a simple scrimmage.  It was 2-0 Lufkin.  These same kids will play for real in 3 weeks right back in Nacogdoches.   Coach Quick said Lufkin started out with 75 freshman this year.   I'm sure they have lost a few since workouts began 2 weeks ago, always do.

6 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

It was just a simple scrimmage.  It was 2-0 Lufkin.  These same kids will play for real in 3 weeks right back in Nacogdoches.   Coach Quick said Lufkin started out with 75 freshman this year.   I'm sure they have lost a few since workouts began 2 weeks ago, always do.

Ignore him PA. Sometimes those two wins have them forgetting their place. 

According to another thread on SDC..... looks like every classification in East Texas has a team they believe can win a state title this season except 5A. 

I'm not saying any of us WILL win state.....but of course...... that's always the goal.

But I was a little surprised..... three of us are ranked in the top 10 of our classes.  2 of us in the top 5...... and no one seems to think it can be done.

I realize Aledo and HP are the elephants in the room.  And all of us have difficult regions to come out of.  

But I was expecting a little more love than we got.  Not that it matters.  It's all decided on the field. 

Can't wait to get the season started.  Haven't been this excited in a min (2015).

Going to enjoy it every step of the way!

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

According to another thread on SDC..... looks like every classification in East Texas has a team they believe can win a state title this season except 5A. 

I'm not saying any of us WILL win state.....but of course...... that's always the goal.

But I was a little surprised..... three of us are ranked in the top 10 of our classes.  2 of us in the top 5...... and no one seems to think it can be done.

I realize Aledo and HP are the elephants in the room.  And all of us have difficult regions to come out of.  

But I was expecting a little more love than we got.  Not that it matters.  It's all decided on the field. 

Can't wait to get the season started.  Haven't been this excited in a min (2015).

Going to enjoy it every step of the way!

I mean Longview thinks we’re scrubs, and most of the other people only see HP AND ALEDO so yea. But we know so that’s all that matters..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I mean Longview thinks we’re scrubs, 

You're mad about this?  Are you new?  lmao.

This isn't news on the internet since the mid 90's. 

I stick to my 5A talk these days.  Much happier.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I mean Longview thinks we’re scrubs

Quotes???

All I've seen LV folks, me included, say is we dont think JT beats us and we have more intriguing matchups that warrant a nationally televised game.

But hey, if you wanna think yall are scrubs, I'm not stopping you. 👍 cry away bro.

Tbh, I think the 5A resistance on smoaky is a trust thing mixed with Aledo and HP being so dang good. But on paper, LP and Marshall SHOULD be able to make runs at least to the semis.

Both teams are solid at QB and have a ton returning in the skill positions, size in the trenches. Marshall probably returns the most experience in all of 5A D2 and that was before the transfers.

Big question is will LP and Marshall perform up to their potential, and can they win the big games not even including Aledo or HP. Avoiding hiccups vs the Huntsville's, Reedy's and Lone Star's of the world who all return solid numbers from good squads. Dunno.

And before JT fans start crying about me not mentioning them, look...I simply dont see this years' team touching any of those Brysan Smith/Greg Ward teams that couldnt pull through. Maybe yall do though.

That’s analysis I can respect. 

I dunno if we beat Manvel, FB Marshall, A&M consolidated, or Huntsville to even get out of our region. 

CC Calallen is top 5 and would be awaiting in the semis.  

Then  Aledo.  

Toughest potential gauntlet to a title game I can ever recall.  

We SHOULD make it to the region semis at least. But we should have last season too. 

Time will tell.  But I can’t hide my excitement about this team. 

And we may very well open the season 0-3 or 1-2. We shall see how it goes.

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Quotes???

All I've seen LV folks, me included, say is we dont think JT beats us and we have more intriguing matchups that warrant a nationally televised game.

But hey, if you wanna think yall are scrubs, I'm not stopping you. 👍 cry away bro.

Tbh, I think the 5A resistance on smoaky is a trust thing mixed with Aledo and HP being so dang good. But on paper, LP and Marshall SHOULD be able to make runs at least to the semis.

Both teams are solid at QB and have a ton returning in the skill positions, size in the trenches. Marshall probably returns the most experience in all of 5A D2 and that was before the transfers.

Big question is will LP and Marshall perform up to their potential, and can they win the big games not even including Aledo or HP. Avoiding hiccups vs the Huntsville's, Reedy's and Lone Star's of the world who all return solid numbers from good squads. Dunno.

And before JT fans start crying about me not mentioning them, look...I simply dont see this years' team touching any of those Brysan Smith/Greg Ward teams that couldnt pull through. Maybe yall do though.

It will be another JT HP rematch , that’s simple. 

10 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

You're mad about this?  Are you new?  lmao.

This isn't news on the internet since the mid 90's. 

I stick to my 5A talk these days.  Much happier.  

No I been on here for years lol. It just got out of hand. You would think a state title wouldn’t take a toll on an ego so much. 

20 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

I mean Longview thinks we’re scrubs

Literally not a single Longview person has said that. We've literally gone out of our way to say otherwise. Doesn't mean we don't think we aren't going to win. But that's more because we have that much faith in our squad this season, and we should.

Just as we see Aledo and Highland Park....why should we expect anyone in East Texas 5A to knock them off when they haven't done so? Longview in 6A is getting credit because we're coming off a State Championship and going on two years since we've experienced a loss. Carthage is Carthage and more them demonstrated their ability to win etc. 

No one in 5A has proven they can even get to a State Title game in nearly two decades. The one team that has in 15 years was Sulphur Springs, and they've completely fallen off a cliff. It's not secret that 5A D2 is just not good in East Texas right now, outside of Marshall. And Marshall hasn't been able to prove that they can step up and win that game yet. It's a prove it before we talk about it mood imo. 

7 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Literally not a single Longview person has said that. We've literally gone out of our way to say otherwise. Doesn't mean we don't think we aren't going to win. But that's more because we have that much faith in our squad this season, and we should.

Just as we see Aledo and Highland Park....why should we expect anyone in East Texas 5A to knock them off when they haven't done so? Longview in 6A is getting credit because we're coming off a State Championship and going on two years since we've experienced a loss. Carthage is Carthage and more them demonstrated their ability to win etc. 

No one in 5A has proven they can even get to a State Title game in nearly two decades. The one team that has in 15 years was Sulphur Springs, and they've completely fallen off a cliff. It's not secret that 5A D2 is just not good in East Texas right now, outside of Marshall. And Marshall hasn't been able to prove that they can step up and win that game yet. It's a prove it before we talk about it mood imo. 

Well the thread was about who the best CHANCE at winning a title not who will win the title, that’s the situation I’m talking about. 

19 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

100% agree with your analysis, but didn’t that same analysis also apply to the Lobos until last year?

20 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

100% agree with your analysis, but didn’t that same analysis also apply to the Lobos until last year?

I mean we're the only school apart from Sulphur Springs to reach State in the top two classes within the last decade lol. Granted we lost to LT both times but least we were able to get there. 

Prior to 2017 in the top class, I would agree though. Everyone in East Texas, prior to Lufkin and Longview reaching the Quarters in 2017, thought the time had past that East Texas could compete against the top dogs of the top class. Thankfully, Longview has changed that perception.

32 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Maybe. But they'd been in several close semifinals and state title games the past decade.

3 title games the past decade, with 2010 and 2017 teams seconds away from making it two more title games. And each and every one of those years, LV had a realistic shot. Not sure that compares to what ETX 5A's have done the past decade. Not bashing but in terms of comparing the playoff successes of LV vs ETX 5A's, I'm not seeing it.

8 hours ago, ANTI said:

Maybe. But they'd been in several close semifinals and state title games the past decade.

3 title games the past decade, with 2010 and 2017 teams seconds away from making it two more title games. And each and every one of those years, LV had a realistic shot. Not sure that compares to what ETX 5A's have done the past decade. Not bashing but in terms of comparing the playoff successes of LV vs ETX 5A's, I'm not seeing it.

So, JT going to the semi-finals (1 game from state) 3 times in the past decade, beating Highland Park in one of those yrs, doesn't make JT a title contender?

It just seems like sometimes  Lobo fans seem to diminish everyone else's accomplishments.  Carthage wins state...well doesn't mean as much because its small school, Lobos win state....greatest achievement ever...lol.  Lobos go to state semifinals....their title contenders...Anyone else goes...well you didn't make it to the state title game so it doesn't count.

5A is gonna be tough....John Tyler and Lufkin are in the deepest region in D1 and Marshall is in the deepest region in D2...I think Marshall will be better than last year but IMO there's more questions w/JT and Lufkin.....maybe they get answered, but definitely more unknowns there heading into 2019

30 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

5A is gonna be tough....John Tyler and Lufkin are in the deepest region in D1 and Marshall is in the deepest region in D2...I think Marshall will be better than last year but IMO there's more questions w/JT and Lufkin.....maybe they get answered, but definitely more unknowns there heading into 2019

Agree. I think Longview will be a good test imo.....and possibly Nac if the coach is as good as some people say. Honestly wish we had a better game before district, But I’m sure those questions won’t be answered until probably the first few games in district. As talented as the 2018 team was, they never really played a complete game or up to their potential, even when we played and dominated both CS and West on the road. We were just the better overall team. More talented and physical, but you could see we still had weaknesses that could kill us against a strong defensive team. We were sloppy against Tomball and even Willis. An average Magnolia team with a good offensive line played great against us as well and probably should have won at Abe. The injuries we had to start the year and then again in the playoffs never helped the situation either.  Never got to see how good that 2018 team could be for four quarters or even three. 

Just hoping this 2019 team can come together, stay healthy and improve from week to week. I think we’ll be better offensively than the last few seasons with Moore at Qb and several talented receivers. I’m just unsure of the new defensive line and linebackers. But i like the underdog role more than being the favorite like last year. The players seem hungry and ready to prove the doubters wrong similar to the 2017 team. 

38 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

honestly, JT has alot of question marks on offense this yr. I think it will be a tougher road this yr than last yr, and I'm not sure about Lufkin, but its Lufkin so I won't count them out.  And I have no idea about Marshall.

I beiieve the Lobos will have a chance, but I honestly don't believe they are as good as they have been past two yrs...but even a slight drop off from those teams would still put them as a contender. 

I have no problem with Lobo fans or anyone saying JT won't be a title contender this yr...it just seems like they are diminishing past accomplishments when they say no 5a/6a east TX team (other than Longview) has been a title contender in the past decade.

28 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I beiieve the Lobos will have a chance, but I honestly don't believe they are as good as they have been past two yrs...but even a slight drop off from those teams would still put them as a contender. 

Wont be a dropoff.

2019 > 2017 without question.

And 2019 could have a better defense than both 2017 and 2018.

Not to mention Haynes King-Kaden Meredith combo could be the best QB-RB duo we've had in a while, possibly ever.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread