2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

WH is a possibility.  But they seem to lose some to Bullard, CH, and the same private schools that are in Tyler.

MP is one of very few 5A schools in East Texas that has seen an upward trend.  Even if it's slow.  Hallsville to a degree....  but Hallsville's growth patterns could be a thread in and of itself.

Everyone seems to slowly going down.... or remaining pretty static.  

18 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

I would bet if Pineywoods wasn't open, Lufkin would have at least 2300 students.  

It’s not just on them. Jobs that left, and several other schools in the area. I know people that live in lufkin, but kids either at some point went or that’s now going to Huntington, Hudson or Central. Maybe you can add Diboll to the list. It’s not that far. I also know of a few that do private school now with some local church. I wouldn’t just put it on Pineywoods though. More people are leaving the rural areas and moving to the city and Lufkin just isn’t growing. I think it was actually around 2400 at Lufkin when i was there. It’s several different reasons, not just that school. 

1 hour ago, PackAttack said:

Lufkin will never go North again or maybe ever be 6A again,  unless the UIL approve a 7A  classification or have 6A divided into  Div I and Div II districts like all other classifications have right now.  If Longview is growing and if the current cut off moves 40 again to 2230 this next realignment and 40 again to 2270 in the following realignment, then Longview will stay 6A.  If they are growing percentage wise each year as you say .  You have to understand if Longview High grows at more than 40 students per  realignment (2 years) your always going to stay ahead of the curve for 6A.  JT and Lee fight the private school battle for numbers and the fact that East Texas in general is aging out .  More of our younger folks head for the metro areas after graduating and raise their families, instead of coming back to East Texas.

Highland Park seems to always manage to stoke the cutoff  numbers between 5A and 6A.  How they beat the UIL system to stay out of 6A every realignment is beyond my comprehension.  

Yea, i don’t think we’ll ever go north or stay east again. Maybe if Huntsville and Nac  move up to D1, but i think we’ll still play houston or College Station/Bryan area schools. Don’t think we’ll ever be with Longview and Tyler again in a district. 

10 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

I know people that live in lufkin, but kids either at some point went or that’s now going to Huntington, Hudson or Central. Maybe you can add Diboll to the list. It’s not that far. I also know of a few that do private school now with some local church. I wouldn’t just put it on Pineywoods though. More people are leaving the rural areas and moving to the city and Lufkin just isn’t growing. 

Heck, my significant other (LP alum) has much younger siblings that live in Lufkin but attend Hudson. 1 of them however does attend Lufkin. Plays baseball.

Ive seen 1st hand how Hudson can effect Lufkin. 

Anytime you go somewhere where the town barely has four way lights, but has 800+ in its HS....and its near a neighboring much larger city....its obvious where majority of those kids are coming from.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

It’s not just on them. Jobs that left, and several other schools in the area. I know people that live in lufkin, but kids either at some point went or that’s now going to Huntington, Hudson or Central. Maybe you can add Diboll to the list. It’s not that far. I also know of a few that do private school now with some local church. I wouldn’t just put it on Pineywoods though. More people are leaving the rural areas and moving to the city and Lufkin just isn’t growing. I think it was actually around 2400 at Lufkin when i was there. It’s several different reasons, not just that school. 

I don't doubt for one minute that there are other factors for the decline in Lufkin enrollment...BUT the numbers clearly show that Pineywoods is taking the most students away from Lufkin ISD.  

TEA transfer report says that 750 out of the 1000 students (75%) in Pineywoods system come from Lufkin ISD. There are 250 students enrolled in Pineywoods High.  If you only took 100 of those students and put them back at Lufkin HS, that would put Lufkin HS at 2230 and probably back in 6a. 

14 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Heck, my significant other (LP alum) has much younger siblings that live in Lufkin but attend Hudson. 1 of them however does attend Lufkin. Plays baseball.

Anytime you go somewhere where the town barely has four way lights, but has 800+ in its HS....and its near a neighboring much larger city....its obvious where majority of those kids are coming from.

Not what the TEA transfer report says... https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/adhocrpt/Standard_Reports/Transfer_Reports/district_transfer_report.html

No one is denying Hudson doesn't affect Lufkin enrollment.  Lufkin isd lost nearly 250 kids to Hudson.  However, it lost 750 to Pineywoods.  I don't know about Longview, but in Tyler, 750 is greater than 250. 

but I guess we can agree to disagree. Doesn't really matter the reasons anyway, because other than probably Lee, the rest of East Texas will be 5a or below soon.

20 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Exactly! 

And oh my Wolf. Your future kids may be Panthers. Lol

2 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Not what the TEA transfer report says... https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/adhocrpt/Standard_Reports/Transfer_Reports/district_transfer_report.html

No one is denying Hudson doesn't affect Lufkin enrollment.  Lufkin isd lost nearly 250 kids to Hudson.  However, it lost 750 to Pineywoods.  I don't know about Longview, but in Tyler, 750 is greater than 250. 

Report not gonna show the kids that go to Hudson from the get go, but always lived in Lufkin.

Because, its not a transfer statistic.

10 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

but I guess we can agree to disagree. Doesn't really matter the reasons anyway, because other than probably Lee, the rest of East Texas will be 5a or below soon.

I agree that Pineywoods does have an affect on the LHS enrollment. I’m Just saying it’s also other schools and reasons for the drop or decrease over the years.  That’s it. 

1 minute ago, Pack007 said:

And oh my Wolf. Your future kids may be Panthers. Lol

No, no they wont lol

For one thing, I wouldnt be able to get a job there. She would though....everybody needs nurses.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Report not gonna show the kids that go to Hudson from the get go, but always lived in Lufkin.

Because, its not a transfer statistic.

true.  I guess my larger point is that despite Hudson being there, Lufkin probably would have still remained 6a because it had in the past.  When Pineywoods open, that pretty much sealed their fate in 6a.

• Like 1

Not to change the subject (again). 

Posted this on the Mav thread.... but I’m interested. 

Coach Greidl reported that he has 187 players in football 9-12.   We haven’t seen numbers like that in 20 years when Bill Harper was here.  Not even in the Southern years.  

MJHS will have two 8th teams and with the return of 7th grade football this season... will have 2 teams there too. About 200 kids 7th abd 8th combined. 

Explosive growth for the program.  

Pretty excited. But. Not too excited. Ppl get grumpy if you get too excited. 

14 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Nac is at least a possibility.

Jax isn't.... they are getting dangerously close to 4A Div I.

Now.... MP is a possibility.  No one has said much about the fact that MP has grown from 1100 to over 1500.  If they continue that trend..... could be a D1 candidate in 5-6 years.

MP has a new high school opening next fall so I don't see us moving up. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up in 4A soon. 3 high schools in little MP is to much. We lost relevance in football when the second one opened. #3 sure won't help! 

1 hour ago, Triton said:

MP has a new high school opening next fall so I don't see us moving up. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up in 4A soon. 3 high schools in little MP is to much. We lost relevance in football when the second one opened. #3 sure won't help! 

3???? Y’all aren't even big enough for three. 

17 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

3???? Y’all aren't even big enough for three. 

Paris is smaller than Marshall and they have 3. 

PHS, Lamar, and (I think) Prairieland 

even Palestine has 2. 

Crazy.  

30 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

even Palestine has 2. 

Crazy.  

Forgot all about Palestine having two. They do have at least 20,000 though in that area. MP has what 15,000? And three?? That’s crazy to me 

5 hours ago, Triton said:

new high school? Is it part of MPISD

8 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Doubt it.. bet it's a charter school or something 

I was searching for it....I think Hart's Bluff ISD is opening a high school.  I think in the past these kids had the choice to go to Mount Pleasant or Chapel Hill

6 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

even Palestine has 2. 

Crazy.  

Praireland is not in Paris although its not to far off. Paris Chism is the 3rd high school there. 1 3a 2 4a's and Paris is larger than MP by about 10-15k

3 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MP Chapel Hill doesn’t do football. 

Not sure about the other MO schools 

MP Chapel Hill has no football. They have voted against it multiple times. Great girls athletic department though. They are primarily a basketball school.

• Mr. P changed the title to 2019-20 East Texas 5A Sports Thread