Recruiting

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Anyone else think that with the way things are now, recruits/moms of recruits, will want to/them stay closer to home instead of going OOS?

Moms have never carried as much weight in recruiting as they are given credit for. Far too many times mom has been thought to favor a school just for the kid to go to a different school. It’s a factor yes, but very few rarely go solely off of moms wishes. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Moms have never carried as much weight in recruiting as they are given credit for. Far too many times mom has been thought to favor a school just for the kid to go to a different school. It’s a factor yes, but very few rarely go solely off of moms wishes. 

I think you underestimate the power of the momma!  There have been many happy mommas but I’ve seen some very upset ones through the years too.

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think you underestimate the power of the momma!  There have been many happy mommas but I’ve seen some very upset ones through the years too.

still remember when alex collins signed with arkansas. his momma wanted him stay home in miami, so she stole his letter of intent and ran off.  

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

There have been TONS of recruitments where momma “Allegedly” liked one school over the other and it changed nothing. 

• Thanks 1

I think the information available to determine if a mom has an influence or not is skewed.  The times that the athlete and the mom disagree are the ones that usually make the headlines since that is "news".  How many times does it get reported that the athlete followed mom's wishes?  Probably not too many because there is no conflict there thus there is no "news".  I am also sure that there are cases where the kid and mom disagreed on where to go but the kid becomes "star" and all is forgotten.  What about the times that the kid does not make it and transfers home to be closer to "family"?  We generally also only hear about the high profile kids' recruiting.  How many of the lower profile kids do not follow mom's wishes?  Also add into the fact that many of these athletes have no "father figure" in their life and that their mom or grandmother is all that they have for guidance.

The myth, legend, rumor, etc. about the influence of a mother on the decision was borne somewhere.  How many times is there a conflict between the dad and the athlete versus the athlete and the mom?  Probably heavily skewed towards the mom.  So where there is smoke there is fire.

3 hours ago, txk85 said:

still remember when alex collins signed with arkansas. his momma wanted him stay home in miami, so she stole his letter of intent and ran off.  

The boy from Baton Rouge that picked Bama and his mom was decked out in purple and gold comes to mind....  lol.

i can’t remember his name 

9 hours ago, WETSU said:

I'm not going to debate anything because we all are entitled to our own opinions, but... over the years, several head and assistant coaches have mentioned how important it is to win over the parents, especially mom in conversations with myself or our staff. This includes staffs from Notre Dame, Nebraska, Georgia, Texas, A&M, Florida, TCU, Vanderbilt, Baylor, OU, and many more. In fact, many college coaches ask about parents and if they might have any feelings toward that coach's school.

Saying that, the kid has to want to attend the college. Mom and dad do play a role, but most parents are good with whatever the choice their child makes. They just want what's best for their kid. It's those wannabe coaching dads that can mess things up because they act more like an agent than a father. A great video to watch is Emmitt Smith talk about his son choosing Stanford over Florida - that's a dad!

2 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

I'm not going to debate anything because we all are entitled to our own opinions, but... over the years, several head and assistant coaches have mentioned how important it is to win over the parents, especially mom in conversations with myself or our staff. This includes staffs from Notre Dame, Nebraska, Georgia, Texas, A&M, Florida, TCU, Vanderbilt, Baylor, OU, and many more. In fact, many college coaches ask about parents and if they might have any feelings toward that coach's school.

Saying that, the kid has to want to attend the college. Mom and dad do play a role, but most parents are good with whatever the choice their child makes. They just want what's best for their kid. It's those wannabe coaching dads that can mess things up because they act more like an agent than a father. A great video to watch is Emmitt Smith talk about his son choosing Stanford over Florida - that's a dad!

Maybe what would be a more accurate description of what I’m saying is that maybe fans think they have the parents on their side more than they should. I was mainly talking about situations like Demarvin Leal. Texas fans claimed momma wanted him at Texas. There wasn’t much to back that up other than her saying she liked the staff. Well she liked the staff at A&M too. similarly there have been numerous recruits that A&M fans have claimed momma loved them but the kid chose texas. I’ve seen it both ways numerous times over the years. So from my perspective, it’s more along the lines of just because a message board rumor that momma has a favorite gets started, doesn’t mean kid is going there. So my argument is that it’s either not important to the kids what momma wants, or message boards are hearing wrong and perhaps it is important but we got mommas opinion wrong. Who knows for sure. 

I will say that I believe most mothers like their babies closer to home, yet more than ever kids are leaving the state. Take that for what it’s worth. 

10 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

The boy from Baton Rouge that picked Bama and his mom was decked out in purple and gold comes to mind....  lol.

i can’t remember his name 

His little brother did the same thing a few years later

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Maybe what would be a more accurate description of what I’m saying is that maybe fans think they have the parents on their side more than they should. I was mainly talking about situations like Demarvin Leal. Texas fans claimed momma wanted him at Texas. There wasn’t much to back that up other than her saying she liked the staff. Well she liked the staff at A&M too. similarly there have been numerous recruits that A&M fans have claimed momma loved them but the kid chose texas. I’ve seen it both ways numerous times over the years. So from my perspective, it’s more along the lines of just because a message board rumor that momma has a favorite gets started, doesn’t mean kid is going there. So my argument is that it’s either not important to the kids what momma wants, or message boards are hearing wrong and perhaps it is important but we got mommas opinion wrong. Who knows for sure. 

I will say that I believe most mothers like their babies closer to home, yet more than ever kids are leaving the state. Take that for what it’s worth. 

Fans see pics with mom and dad smiling throwing up hand signs and think that's what mom and dad want. Parents are just happy that their child is about to get a chance at a free college education with a chance to be a high paid professional athlete. The coaches want to win the parents over because they want mom and dad talking more about the benefits of going to their school over another. We had a head basketball coach one time that had previously coached in the European League as well as lower level college. He used to joke about "doing" some ugly mommas to get their boys to play for him. I don't know if there was any truth to it or not, but he said you got to do what you got to do to win.

32 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Fans see pics with mom and dad smiling throwing up hand signs and think that's what mom and dad want. Parents are just happy that their child is about to get a chance at a free college education with a chance to be a high paid professional athlete. The coaches want to win the parents over because they want mom and dad talking more about the benefits of going to their school over another. We had a head basketball coach one time that had previously coached in the European League as well as lower level college. He used to joke about "doing" some ugly mommas to get their boys to play for him. I don't know if there was any truth to it or not, but he said you got to do what you got to do to win.

typical rick barnes recruiting tactic.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, JustAFan11 said:

Yes I think kids will give instate schools a much closer look. 

I think it helps the schools that are farther away. Now little Johnny from Houston can’t take that short unofficial trip to College Station on the weekend. 

On 4/14/2020 at 6:12 PM, Valhalla said:

I think it helps the schools that are farther away. Now little Johnny from Houston can’t take that short unofficial trip to College Station on the weekend. 

Yeah but Johnny has already seen College Station 3-4 times. He may not get to visit now but he won’t get to visit College Park either and maybe never before he commits. 

6 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Don't look now, but Mack Brown currently has the #2 ranked recruiting class.

EV1RhBkVAAE6SNX.jpeg

I’ll wager he doesn’t finish in the top 8. He’s got like 3-4 times the amount of commits compared to everyone else. When everyone else gets theirs, I think he finishes somewhere around 9-12. Possibly lower. 

he is doing a good job though. I’d love for him to emerge as a threat to clemson year in and year out. With FSU on the downhill, Clemson is just walking into the ACC title.