R. I. P. Officer Dickerson

CarthDawg77

39 minutes ago, NightStar11 said:

All officers should have another officer riding along. Also sounds like that thug didn't deserve parole 

That's the way it used to be pre-1982 if I remember right.  I don't know why they got away from it, except it puts more cars on the streets and we have better communication devices than then.   The thing is it makes response times slow.  I realize that an officer isn't going to call for backup on a traffic stop, and it's a shame an officer had to die.  R.I.P. Deputy Dickerson.  I wish our capital punishment system was much quicker, because the criminal should already be in a chair or gurney.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

That's the way it used to be pre-1982 if I remember right.  I don't know why they got away from it, except it puts more cars on the streets and we have better communication devices than then.   The thing is it makes response times slow.  I realize that an officer isn't going to call for backup on a traffic stop, and it's a shame an officer had to die.  R.I.P. Deputy Dickerson.  I wish our capital punishment system was much quicker, because the criminal should already be in a chair or gurney.  

No man, I said patrols should have 2 officers to a car...I didn't say wait for backup. Read carefully next time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Read carefully next time.

Dave didn't contradict what you said, just phrased it in a different way, and you gave him a jerk response. Sad to see that and really unnecessary. Prayers for the Dickerson family. 

Here, we agree, Barry; & yes, that 2nd “Like”was from me.

22 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Read carefully next time.

Dave didn't contradict what you said, just phrased it in a different way, and you gave him a jerk response. Sad to see that and really unnecessary. Prayers for the Dickerson family. 

Exactly, I recalled how that was SOP pre-1982 and it could have been earlier in smaller towns.  I know Longview used to do it, and even had motorcycle cops riding in pairs until the 80's.  I think this article gives great reasons to bring it back, except in certain cases such as supervisors and a few others.  https://www.policemag.com/341904/two-officer-cars-the-buddy-system

25 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

Exactly, I recalled how that was SOP pre-1982 and it could have been earlier in smaller towns.  I know Longview used to do it, and even had motorcycle cops riding in pairs until the 80's.  I think this article gives great reasons to bring it back, except in certain cases such as supervisors and a few others.  https://www.policemag.com/341904/two-officer-cars-the-buddy-system

Great article, Dave; Food for thought for many departments to consider. Budgets may have to be increased to make this possible, however.