Jason Garrett Officially Out As Cowboys Coach

Lobo97

Chan Gailey was hired today as the OC at Miami.  https://dolphinstalk.com/2019/12/31/breaking-dolphins-hire-chan-gailey-as-new-offensive-coordinator/ .  Odd thing is, Jerry has stated that he regretted firing Chan Gailey too soon, and even firing Coach Landry.  I see his point in the firing of Coach Landry.  Coach Landry wasn't washed up yet as many have said.  I think he wants to ride the hand with Garrett, but to me he's either becoming nostalgic in his old age or senile.  I know he has Stephen Jones semi-running the team, but they should be honest with themselves.  Garrett can have a good year, and then it turns to mush the next.  We've seen it time and time again over the past 10 years.  He's not Coach Landry of the 60's that had to build the team from scrubs, and then some solid draft picks.  Coach Landry didn't get to pick his groceries either with Tex Schramm and Gil Brandt having the final say.  Coach Landry felt and knew that his system would work with anyone, well that proved otherwise with terrible draft picks of the late 70's and 80's.  I think that is truly what is holding  him back from pulling the trigger with Garrett.  

Jason has to be close to finishing up his house cleaning. A decision has to be coming soon. If Dallas has interest in any of the current playoff coaches then there’s really no rush to do any hiring. If it’s a college coach then there could be some urgency. 

To piggyback on something @DaveTV1 mentioned about Coach Landry, Garrett is pretty much Jerry’s Landry. Garrett’s played for him. Garrett was the appointed offensive genius before Wade Phillips was hired. Garrett’s had a 10 year run with the full support of Jerry. Jerry didn’t handle Coach Landry’s firing right. I think he doesn’t want to make the same mistake with Garrett. Garrett really is the red headed step child that Jerry never had. 

Just now, DAWG91 said:

He did hire Parcells,  so there's a sliver of hope.

I think this what the team needs especially on the defensive side. You got 53 individual players and not one team. You seen some guys that got paid this offseason who were more about their brand than they were making plays on the field. 

1 minute ago, powerlifter said:

still got to go with AKIMAN it would be easy for him to put a strong coaching staff togather what good is a head coach with out a SMART coaching staff

If Jerry Jones was ever going to bring in someone and give them some of his power, I think it’d be Aikman. He’s still got Jerry’s ear when he needs advice. He’s a guy who knows what it takes to succeed. He could be the no nonsense bad guy that Jerry can’t be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

It’s Wednesday and JG is still your coach...  and word is that it won’t happen today 

Why? The fear is that Jerry could keep him. The reality is that Garrett’s contract either runs out today or on the 14th. Is Dallas taking their time because their target is still coaching another team? If that’s case why wouldn’t you go ahead and make a clean break, allowing Garrett and his staff to find a new job? Which comes back full circle to the fear of Jones keeping Garrett. 

Jerry needs to let Garrett go.  You have seen 10 years of the same thing every year.  Some better than others.  There were at least 2-3 games that Dallas lost simply because they were outcoached.  Garrett will land on his feet running.  He has a Harvard degree and is a solid coach.  Let him go, hire someone who makes few in-game mistakes...  That's where I lean towards a hire of Urban or Matt Rhule.

27 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Jerruh is all about being the drama queen of the NFL ... no real changes coming .... Just call him Status Quo Jerruh ... new coach or not .... tru storie ...

Yep. Jerry likes the attention,drama and circus like atmosphere, most organizations would have fired Clapper on Monday.

12 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Jerry needs to let Garrett go.  You have seen 10 years of the same thing every year.  Some better than others.  There were at least 2-3 games that Dallas lost simply because they were outcoached.  Garrett will land on his feet running.  He has a Harvard degree and is a solid coach.  Let him go, hire someone who makes few in-game mistakes...  That's where I lean towards a hire of Urban or Matt Rhule.

Yeah, I bet most teams would have fired Clapper a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Why? The fear is that Jerry could keep him. The reality is that Garrett’s contract either runs out today or on the 14th. Is Dallas taking their time because their target is still coaching another team? If that’s case why wouldn’t you go ahead and make a clean break, allowing Garrett and his staff to find a new job? Which comes back full circle to the fear of Jones keeping Garrett. 

J J and son may be working on an admin job for the BIG RED CLAPPER, since he is like family to them. And if they have any plans of hiring a guy with no NFL head coaching experience, that probably is a great move. B R C could help/mentor the new head coach on anything the new guy asks for help with. 

1 minute ago, cotton84 said:

J J and son may be working on an admin job for the BIG RED CLAPPER, since he is like family to them. And if they have any plans of hiring a guy with no NFL head coaching experience, that probably is a great move. B R C could help/mentor the new head coach on anything the new guy asks for help with. 

That’s a possibility. Garrett’s from a family of scouts. This issues with Garrett wasn’t his ability to find talent but his ability to coach that talent. I’d be scared if I was a coach knowing my predecessor was my boss and might take his job back if I can’t win with his guys.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jason-garrett-future-with-cowboys-several-factors-fueling-delayed-announcement-in-dallas/

A separate source confirmed to me prior to the conclusion of the season that Jones could find a role for Garrett in the front office, which would open the door for a needed successor at head coach while not allowing another NFL team to benefit from the aforementioned investment he's put into Garrett.