Jason Garrett Officially Out As Cowboys Coach

Lobo97

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

That’s a possibility. Garrett’s from a family of scouts. This issues with Garrett wasn’t his ability to find talent but his ability to coach that talent. I’d be scared if I was a coach knowing my predecessor was my boss and might take his job back if I can’t win with his guys.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jason-garrett-future-with-cowboys-several-factors-fueling-delayed-announcement-in-dallas/

A separate source confirmed to me prior to the conclusion of the season that Jones could find a role for Garrett in the front office, which would open the door for a needed successor at head coach while not allowing another NFL team to benefit from the aforementioned investment he's put into Garrett.

I was not saying he would be the boss of the new coach. Just someone who could answer some questions, if needed. 
Green Bay’s former General Manager, Ted Thompson, was welcomed to stay employed as an advisor.  He still makes good money but is no threat to take the now GM’s job. 

3 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I was not saying he would be the boss of the new coach. Just someone who could answer some questions, if needed. 
Green Bay’s former General Manager, Ted Thompson, was welcomed to stay employed as an advisor.  He still makes good money but is no threat to take the now GM’s job. 

I’m just thinking if Jerry has this big a problem of letting Garrett go, if he did keep him on in some capacity that he’d be pretty easy for him to convince himself that Garrett could slide down and win with the new coaches players.

On 12/30/2019 at 1:31 PM, Stoney said:

Call me a dreamer, and a tad foolish, but I think something big is going on in Jerry Jones mind right now. The firing of Jason Garrett could have been handled in thirty minutes. My dream world scenario is; Jerry is putting in place a new GM and high profile coach. Or at least a direction he wants to go. This decision will have a lot of pieces, and Jerry is busy putting all those pieces together. Jerry Jones is as aware of his less than stellar performance the last twenty years, and the media criticisms, that followed as we are. At some point he has to come to the realization that for his business model to succeed he has to start winning games. That is what he is in business to do. I believe his frustration will drive him to it. Now, I am well aware their are franchises in the NFL where mediocrity is fine with them, but that ain't Texas, and they ain't the Dallas Cowboys. There is too much excellent tradition behind this team to continue this way. Jerry has to make a bold move here, and my gut tells me he will.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

That’s a possibility. Garrett’s from a family of scouts. This issues with Garrett wasn’t his ability to find talent but his ability to coach that talent. I’d be scared if I was a coach knowing my predecessor was my boss and might take his job back if I can’t win with his guys.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jason-garrett-future-with-cowboys-several-factors-fueling-delayed-announcement-in-dallas/

A separate source confirmed to me prior to the conclusion of the season that Jones could find a role for Garrett in the front office, which would open the door for a needed successor at head coach while not allowing another NFL team to benefit from the aforementioned investment he's put into Garrett.

Channeling Twelve O'Clock High, with Gregory Peck, and Gerry Merrill. Lol

If this happens, I hope he picks a Gregory Peck type for coach. 

I'm sitting here watching Alabama take care of business against the Michigan Wolverines, and I'm reminded of a story about a young man who played for Bear Bryant at Alabama. Now, Bear wasn't called Bear for the heck of it. Nor because he was a cuddly old bear. He would take your head off when you didn't play well,or made a mistake. I don't remember the team, or the player, just the situation. During the game a opposing player broke one for a obvious long  touchdown run.  As he was racing for the end zone, our player for Alabama, who was not noted for his excellent speed caught the guy at the ten yard line.  Alabama held the team to a field goal and a eventual  win for Alabama. After the game a reporter asked the Alabama player, how in the world he caught a guy with better speed, and the young man replied. " You have to remember, he was running for a touchdown. I was running for my life."

That"s the kinda Coach the Cowboys need. Lol

7 hours ago, 1jacket said:

Yeah, I bet most teams would have fired Clapper a long time ago.

"Most teams?"  Shoot.  There's not a single team in the nfl dumb enough to have made him HC to begin with, except the Dallas Jones' of course.

36 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

"Most teams?"  Shoot.  There's not a single team in the nfl dumb enough to have made him HC to begin with, except the Dallas Jones' of course.

The Browns would lol. Haven't they been through 11 or 12 coaches by now.

48 minutes ago, Doomer said:

Thankx boy at ZippyJ's today says Zimmer or Kubiak is final 2.

ZippyJ's is where all the straight scoop comes from. I like both choices, especially Kubiak. Zimmer, I don't think will move. He's worked for the Jones' before. Good choices though.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 7:31 PM, Stoney said:

Jason has to be close to finishing up his house cleaning. A decision has to be coming soon. If Dallas has interest in any of the current playoff coaches then there’s really no rush to do any hiring. If it’s a college coach then there could be some urgency. 

To piggyback on something @DaveTV1 mentioned about Coach Landry, Garrett is pretty much Jerry’s Landry. Garrett’s played for him. Garrett was the appointed offensive genius before Wade Phillips was hired. Garrett’s had a 10 year run with the full support of Jerry. Jerry didn’t handle Coach Landry’s firing right. I think he doesn’t want to make the same mistake with Garrett. Garrett really is the red headed step child that Jerry never had. 

Garrett never played for Coach Landry, but he did for play for 5 games under Coach Johnson.  4 seasons under Switzer, and 2 seasons under Chan Gailey.  and didn't last long in New York only being on the roster for two games.   I know his dad was a scout for the Cowboys while under Coach Landry in 1987 and 1988, he remained a scout until 2004.  His brother Judd works for the Cowboys front office however.  

There is still no reason to keep Garrett around.  If Jerry is going to do this it needs to be done immediately.  Fans do not need Jason's shadow over the team if a move is to be made.  That's why I'm leaning towards Jerry signing him to another contract, but I think he'll be given a short rope.  I think it should have been cut years ago. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Jerry needs to let Garrett go.  You have seen 10 years of the same thing every year.  Some better than others.  There were at least 2-3 games that Dallas lost simply because they were outcoached.  Garrett will land on his feet running.  He has a Harvard degree and is a solid coach.  Let him go, hire someone who makes few in-game mistakes...  That's where I lean towards a hire of Urban or Matt Rhule.

Actually Princeton, but still an Ivy League school that has been pumping out idiots in regards to rational though in regards to many things in recent years.  

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

His Dad was a coach as well, and even coached the Houston Texans in 1974.  That's for WestHardinfan.  The Texans weren't very good under the direction of Jim Garrett while in Houston, and they had to move to Shreveport as the Steamer to try and make it.  Of course the Steamer team couldn't make it and folded much like the CFL Shreveport Pirates under the direction of Forrest Gregg.   https://funwhileitlasted.net/2013/01/28/1974-houston-texans-wfl/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

His Dad was a coach as well, and even coached the Houston Texans in 1974.  That's for WestHardinfan.  The Texans weren't very good under the direction of Jim Garrett while in Houston, and they had to move to Shreveport as the Steamer to try and make it.  Of course the Steamer team couldn't make it and folded much like the CFL Shreveport Pirates under the direction of Forrest Gregg.   https://funwhileitlasted.net/2013/01/28/1974-houston-texans-wfl/

I bet we are the only ones on here who even remember the WFL.....