Mike McCarthy Is The New Coach Of The Dallas Cowboys

Have seen reports that Mike McCarthy has reached to a running back coach. So that could mean Gary Brown is out. Keep an eye out for Lal maybe leaving. Some reporters say that Cooper and Lal don’t have the best work relationship.

I don't really follow the Cowboys, but for those of you who do: how do feel about McCarthy's chance for success in Dallas, especially since he was fired at Green Bay despite having (arguably) the greatest quarterback in the modern era? 

For someone (like me) who's on the outside, this really feels like a reach, but my Cowboy friends/relatives on social media are gaga over the hire. Nothing against McCarthy, he's certainly a good coach. But I just don't see how this is a home run. 

I'm a lifelong fan of the lowly Dolphins, and if I woke up to the news that we'd hired McCarthy, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AKA said:

I don't really follow the Cowboys, but for those of you who do: how do feel about McCarthy's chance for success in Dallas, especially since he was fired at Green Bay despite having (arguably) the greatest quarterback in the modern era? 

For someone (like me) who's on the outside, this really feels like a reach, but my Cowboy friends/relatives on social media are gaga over the hire. Nothing against McCarthy, he's certainly a good coach. But I just don't see how this is a home run. 

I'm a lifelong fan of the lowly Dolphins, and if I woke up to the news that we'd hired McCarthy, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled. 

If you ask me, its a great hire but it won't really matter. The Cowboys issues stem from Jerry Jones' inability to hand over the reigns. I've said it many, many times. The Cowboys will not win another Super Bowl with Jason Garrett and Jerry Jones still a part of that organization. One is gone, but with Jerry still there, don't expect much of a change imo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jerry didn’t hire a college coach. He didn’t hire a flavor of the month offensive genius. He didn’t hire a average retread NFL coach. He got a guy who has won a Super Bowl and has had playoff success. Its not a sexy hiring like Sean Payton would have been. It’s a good solid hire. When is the last time that Cowboy fans could say that? 

McCarthy has shown that he can work with a young talented QB. Him and Rodgers had a pretty good run up to the fall out. I’m sure you can place blame on both sides for that. 

McCarthy is coming into a great position offensively. When TE is the biggest question mark that’s not shabby. The biggest concern is what will McCarthy do to fix this defense. I wanna believe there’s talent there but we didn’t see it last year. If the new DC gets some players to help on that side of the ball then Dallas shouldn’t be hoping for a Giants miracle win in week 17 to make the playoffs.

Please rate my @spacegolfer impression below.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Good points, thanks! I appreciate y'all taking my question seriously and not just going off on me. 

I tried to ask this same question on Facebook and immediately had 10 different Cowboy fans reminding me how bad the Dolphins suck. :D 

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, AKA said:

Good points, thanks! I appreciate y'all taking my question seriously and not just going off on me. 

I tried to ask this same question on Facebook and immediately had 10 different Cowboy fans reminding me how bad the Dolphins suck. :D 

There’s some addition by subtraction there that helps put a fresh spin on this hire. He can’t be as average as Garrett was, right? As a fairly reasonable Cowboys fan (those exist right?) you look at the 2019 season and you see where it could have been successful if a few small changes had happened. Lack of competition for jobs. Trusting a process that had lost its meaning. A lackadaisical approach to certain opponents on the schedule. This team was 1-6 in one score games, 8-8 on the season. If McCarthy can come in and get that to 3-4, how excited would fans be about a 10-6 team?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

There’s some addition by subtraction there that helps put a fresh spin on this hire. He can’t be as average as Garrett was, right?

One outside observation (take it with a grain of salt) is that Garrett seems like a helluva nice guy, who's very popular with his players, but not necessarily the kind of steely-eyed ballbuster you need leading an elite pro football team. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, AKA said:

I tried to ask this same question on Facebook and immediately had 10 different Cowboy fans reminding me how bad the Dolphins ####. :D 

I can't stand Cowboys fans... and that's coming from a Cowboys fan😁

I would say about 75% (maybe more) of them know nothing about how pro sports works. I watch them gripe about Jason Garrett blah blah blah and how the Cowboys should be Super Bowl contenders every year just because they are the Dallas Cowboys. Not realizing that the 'Boys biggest problem is that our owner won't let anyone in his organization outshine him, even his own dad gum head coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AKA said:

One outside observation (take it with a grain of salt) is that Garrett seems like a helluva nice guy, who's very popular with his players, but not necessarily the kind of steely-eyed ballbuster you need leading an elite pro football team. 

110% this. Great clubhouse. A players coach. Just doesn’t have the backbone or fire to call them out when they need it. You can be Pope John Paul as the HC but you better have a Bobby Knight or Buddy Ryan to even things out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

There’s some addition by subtraction there that helps put a fresh spin on this hire. He can’t be as average as Garrett was, right? As a fairly reasonable Cowboys fan (those exist right?) you look at the 2019 season and you see where it could have been successful if a few small changes had happened. Lack of competition for jobs. Trusting a process that had lost its meaning. A lackadaisical approach to certain opponents on the schedule. This team was 1-6 in one score games, 8-8 on the season. If McCarthy can come in and get that to 3-4, how excited would fans be about a 10-6 team?

I truly don't think the players respected Garrett as a coach. He's a really great guy from what I've heard, but so many times we saw this team come out flat in games where they should have been playing with their hair on fire (re: @ Philly). That's on Garrett imo.

I know I'm bringing Jerry in to this more than most would like to hear and probably beating a dead horse, but I seriously think he's the biggest problem. The players know who is really calling the shots, and that's demotivating to me if I'm a player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

110% this. Great clubhouse. A players coach. Just doesn’t have the backbone or fire to call them out when they need it. You can be Pope John Paul as the HC but you better have a Bobby Knight or Buddy Ryan to even things out.

Lol, yeah, I doubt ol' Belicheck gets many Christmas cards from former players, but I doubt any of them begrudge the jewelry he's helped them earn.  ;) 

20 minutes ago, AKA said:

I tried to ask this same question on Facebook and immediately had 10 different Cowboy fans reminding me how bad the Dolphins ####. :D 

That's the nature of things around SDC. That's why I stick around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 88YoePride said:

So here's a personnel question. 

Does this affect free agency? Are there significant free agents out there who might not have been likely to sign with the Cowboys who might be more likely to now? Especially on the Packers roster?

Randall Cobb is the only on roster FA I can think of right now. Played for McCarthy in Green Bay. Took a one year veteran rebound with Dallas. Worked out pretty well. Cobb is 29. Could be his last shot to get paid. 

One thing that might get lost in the shuffle with McCarthy leaving Green Bay. Green Bay didn’t spend on free agents. Now Dallas doesn’t either but if the price is right they will bring a guy in. With a young roster with a few holes on the defense, Jerry could be in the market to make some moves.