Mike McCarthy Is The New Coach Of The Dallas Cowboys

One of the biggest problems that McCarthy, or any other coach, isn't going to fix is on draft day ... the Cowboys are a team stocked with a bunch of mediocre talent thanks to Jerruh Jones making all the selections ... I don't think he is very good at evaluating football talent or making personal changes .... McCarthy and his assistants will have to play the hands they are dealt by Jerruh  ... I do believe McCarthy is an upgrade at the HC position, but Jerruh will continue to underperform as GM ... reminds me of the Lions sticking with Matt Millen for years of failure ...

I just don't see much of a turn around in the near future as long as Jerruh is steering the ship ....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I heard a sports reporter say that "Jerry Jones would like to see some of the offensive assistant coaches retained". Has it started already?

He really needs to stay out and let the coach do his thing. Hasn't been working his way for the last 25 years. 

24 minutes ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

Do you like the hire @Stoney? And if so why?

I like it. Out of the options available to Dallas he’s probably the best fit if Jerry wants to win now. You don’t know what you would get with any of the college coaches. Out of all the retread NFL coaches, who would you rather have? Marvin Lewis? Jeff Fisher? John Fox? If Jerry had been able to pull off the trade, Sean Payton would have been the only obvious home run hire.

Reasons why I like it.

1. The guy has the skins on the wall. Dallas got a Super Bowl winning coach. How many of those are on the sidelines right now? Belicheck, Pederson, Kubiak, Carroll, John Harbaugh, Tomlin, Payton. I’ll take that experience.

2. Ability to work with a young QB. Aaron Rodgers was looking like a bust stuck behind Favre until McCarthy became HC. I’m not saying Dak is Rodgers. Two completely different styles of QB. Dak will be put in situations for him to succeed. 

3. Addition by subtraction. Garrett got in his way as a coach. Bad game plans. No willingness to get a opponent down and put his foot on their throat. Clock mismanagement. Etc. Etc. Etc. If McCarthy comes in and turns some of those issues around then that should show up in the standings. I can’t see McCarthy shutting down his top 5 ranked passing attack and forcing Zeke to run into 8 man boxes. Losses to bad Jets teams. A team not showing up in a must win game against Philly.

McCarthy has a 5 year deal to prove me wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

I like it. Out of the options available to Dallas he’s probably the best fit if Jerry wants to win now. You don’t know what you would get with any of the college coaches. Out of all the retread NFL coaches, who would you rather have? Marvin Lewis? Jeff Fisher? John Fox? If Jerry had been able to pull off the trade, Sean Payton would have been the only obvious home run hire.

Reasons why I like it.

1. The guy has the skins on the wall. Dallas got a Super Bowl winning coach. How many of those are on the sidelines right now? Belicheck, Pederson, Kubiak, Carroll, John Harbaugh, Tomlin, Payton. I’ll take that experience.

2. Ability to work with a young QB. Aaron Rodgers was looking like a bust stuck behind Favre until McCarthy became HC. I’m not saying Dak is Rodgers. Two completely different styles of QB. Dak will be put in situations for him to succeed. 

3. Addition by subtraction. Garrett got in his way as a coach. Bad game plans. No willingness to get a opponent down and put his foot on their throat. Clock mismanagement. Etc. Etc. Etc. If McCarthy comes in and turns some of those issues around then that should show up in the standings. I can’t see McCarthy shutting down his top 5 ranked passing attack and forcing Zeke to run into 8 man boxes. Losses to bad Jets teams. A team not showing up in a must win game against Philly.

McCarthy has a 5 year deal to prove me wrong.

I remember when he named Rodgers the starter over Favre. It wasn't a popular decision in Wisconsin but man did it pay off. Dude can coach an offense up.

I also think he was the best choice out of all the names that were floating.

Go Cowboys!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Mike Nolan might be a solid hire. Has some deep Cowboy ties with his father Dick Nolan playing and coaching with Coach Landry.

Whoa...  if true, this is HUGE. Nolan is one of the best DCs in the game right now. His relative failure as a head coach taints his brand, but dude is solid as a DC. 

Regardless of what happens with McCarthy's offense, I'd lay down money that the Dallas defense is damn near elite by next season. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AKA said:

Whoa...  if true, this is HUGE. Nolan is one of the best DCs in the game right now. His relative failure as a head coach taints his brand, but dude is solid as a DC. 

Regardless of what happens with McCarthy's offense, I'd lay down money that the Dallas defense is damn near elite by next season. 

No doubt the talent is there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AKA said:

Getting rid of Richard should help too. The Seattle defense just didn’t work in Dallas. Nolan did a pretty good job helping turn the Saints defense into something legit. That’s two good hires for Dallas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

Randall Cobb is the only on roster FA I can think of right now. Played for McCarthy in Green Bay. Took a one year veteran rebound with Dallas. Worked out pretty well. Cobb is 29. Could be his last shot to get paid. 

One thing that might get lost in the shuffle with McCarthy leaving Green Bay. Green Bay didn’t spend on free agents. Now Dallas doesn’t either but if the price is right they will bring a guy in. With a young roster with a few holes on the defense, Jerry could be in the market to make some moves. 

He's got to pay Dak this year too, right?

Yeah, I haven't kept up with the details. More into college and high school ball. So I'm not sure what Dallas's cap situation is. Did see a list of prominent FAs the other day and predictions of where they'll land. Just wondering if McCarthy's hiring will affect any of that. 

And might not just be McCarthy. Could be the staff he brings in. At first I thought it was kind of curious the hiring happened so fast, no "shopping around", but then I remembered Jerry's the kind that sets his mind on something and that's that. And he probably wants a staff in place to start working on a new system ASAP, I would think partly to see if it attracts any useful FAs and to know if any current players don't fit and need to be culled/can be traded. 

#1 question is still whether or not Jones is going to let McCarthy coach. 

Edited by 88YoePride

7 hours ago, AKA said:

I don't really follow the Cowboys, but for those of you who do: how do feel about McCarthy's chance for success in Dallas, especially since he was fired at Green Bay despite having (arguably) the greatest quarterback in the modern era? 

For someone (like me) who's on the outside, this really feels like a reach, but my Cowboy friends/relatives on social media are gaga over the hire. Nothing against McCarthy, he's certainly a good coach. But I just don't see how this is a home run. 

I'm a lifelong fan of the lowly Dolphins, and if I woke up to the news that we'd hired McCarthy, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled. 

I have mixed emotions about the hiring.  I know he had a solid run in the middle of his tenure with Green Bay.  Some of the downfall was the lack of a big time receiver with Green Bay after Jordy Nelson had his injury, and then left for the Oakland Raiders.  Green Bay did not add to their aging receiving corps.  The defense also started falling apart due to free agency and injuries.  The hire will make me watch the Cowboys again, but I'm going to keep him on a short stick.  

On 1/6/2020 at 5:51 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I have mixed emotions about the hiring.  I know he had a solid run in the middle of his tenure with Green Bay.  Some of the downfall was the lack of a big time receiver with Green Bay after Jordy Nelson had his injury, and then left for the Oakland Raiders.  Green Bay did not add to their aging receiving corps.  The defense also started falling apart due to free agency and injuries.  The hire will make me watch the Cowboys again, but I'm going to keep him on a short stick.  

Some of what you mentioned can be fixed by a good GM, or VP of player personnel. I think Stephan Jones will fill the bill on that along with Will McClay . Jerry just needs to sign the checks. 

Edited by Newtonres7586
Try to get a name right!
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Newtonres7586 said:

Some of what you mentioned can be fixed by a good GM, or VP of player personnel. I think Stephan Jones will fill the bill on that along with McCann or McGann  whatever his name is. Jerry just needs to sign the checks. 

I've already mentioned what I think the Cowboys need to fix.  I think Amari will be back, and I don't think he'll seek the big bucks from what he's said.  It's the secondary that needs to be tweaked with some major fixes, and the early play calling for the offense so were not down by double digits when the other team can go into cruise control on defense, and the offense rack up garbage time yardage to make the final score look close.  I saw Wade Phillips was fired by the Rams today, and I hope Jerry doesn't talk Mike into hiring him.   I know he won his Super Bowl ring with Kubiak, but he's had his time in Dallas.  We'll see what changes McCarthy brings in the next few months with the coaching staff.  What Jerry will do with our free agents and potential free agents, then the draft, and then onto training camp.