Mount Pleasant beats Pleasant Grove

68Hornet

I was very impressed with Mount Pleasant's young basketball team today. The Tigers scored a 57-48 win over Pleasant Grove, scoring the game's final nine points in the final seconds. The game was tied 48-48 when PG's 6-6 Landon Jackson went down with a ankle injury. A few seconds later 6-7 Torey Phillips fouled out. The two teams (totally different styles) were battling on even terms until that. I think both teams will make playoff runs.

PG was outscored 22-4 in fourth quarter.  Paris and PG share an Achilles heel: The lack of a true point guard.  MP took advantage of both teams with their defensive pressure on a night when their 3-point and free throw shooting wasn't at its best.  Chism does a good job with that program.

I was impressed with Burris for PG.

2 hours ago, Parisian said:

PG was outscored 22-4 in fourth quarter.  Paris and PG share an Achilles heel: The lack of a true point guard.  MP took advantage of both teams with their defensive pressure on a night when their 3-point and free throw shooting wasn't at its best.  Chism does a good job with that program.

I was impressed with Burris for PG.

Burris is like their fourth or fifth best player. He plays well every game. Hawks missed a lot of easy layups and No. 10 is a very good 3-point shooter and he didn't make one today. Henry also probably had the worst game of his career. He's a MVP candidate in district, but you couldn't tell that today. Torey Phillips probably had a better game than Burris today. He's the one that fouled out. I take nothing away from MP. They're young and good, and so is PG. All of their big player except Layton Jackson are juniors. Henry is a junior. Landon Jackson didn't play well today either and sprained his ankle.

MP used their quickness to put the pressure on PG when they had the ball. PG had several turnovers and you have to give credit to the MP defense. Also, PG gave up 8 to 10 points on trying to dunk when they should have done a layup.  Considering that the PG team has been together less than 3 weeks, I feel good about this team and their playoff potential.

You have to remember this about football players transitioning to basketball: Football is a year-round sport in Texas.  There is no off-season.  It's not unusual to schedule heavy lifting sessions on (non-football) game days.  Practice in other sports is only allowed after "off-season" work is completed.  That's why you don't find many multi-sport athletes like you used to.  They don't have time to develop other sport-specific skills and team chemistry.

Seeing that big PG defensive line clog the paint is intimidating.  Let's see how it translates over time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Parisian said:

You have to remember this about football players transitioning to basketball: Football is a year-round sport in Texas.  There is no off-season.  It's not unusual to schedule heavy lifting sessions on (non-football) game days.  Practice in other sports is only allowed after "off-season" work is completed.  That's why you don't find many multi-sport athletes like you used to.  They don't have time to develop other sport-specific skills and team chemistry.

Seeing that big PG defensive line clog the paint is intimidating.  Let's see how it translates over time.

You are correct about multi-sports athlete. However, listen to Jeff Traylor talk about the recruits UTSA signed in December and he says each one is a multi-sport athlete. He says he and his staff target kids that play more than one sport.

3 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Aren’t those big guys from PG big time college prospects? I’m surprised they’re playing basketball. Figured they’d try to avoid a non football injury. 

Jackson will not play next year and Burris probably will not as well. 

59 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Agree. Also a good chance at least Jackson leaves at semester. Very common these days. King at Longview just left yesterday or today for A&M. 

That is Landon’s plan. Not completely sure if Marcus plans to leave at semester.