🟢 Baylor 2020 thread

88YoePride

22 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Back on topic..

I don't see Charlie Brewer playing next season. If he does, I don't think it will be long before he's done. 

I'm not sure who all Baylor returns, but I think 6-6, 7-5 next year is the ceiling.

They graduate a bunch.  All of the DL, Mims and Platt at WR, Hasty at RB, Chris Miller in the secondary just off the top of my head.

24 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Back on topic..

I don't see Charlie Brewer playing next season. If he does, I don't think it will be long before he's done. 

I'm not sure who all Baylor returns, but I think 6-6, 7-5 next year is the ceiling.

8-4 I don't believe they drop that much. However, I expect tcu and texas being much improved so you could be right . Brewer should kinda reminds me of Ash at Texas. Love dedication but want your health more. 

18 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I like how a thread about Baylor turned into a Texas vs A&M thread. 

We need Waggle/Minerva back. Dude was a riot. 

Fixed...  and yeah, I miss Waggle too. Dude certainly had it out for OU, but I never minded his smack talk because it was usually hilarious. 

31 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

8-4 I don't believe they drop that much. However, I expect tcu and texas being much improved so you could be right . Brewer should kinda reminds me of Ash at Texas. Love dedication but want your health more. 

8-4 is a little high imo. If Rhule was returning I could see that. But they will be working with a new coach. That and with missing a few big contributors from this past season, it might be a rough go.

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

8-4 is a little high imo. If Rhule was returning I could see that. But they will be working with a new coach. That and with missing a few big contributors from this past season, it might be a rough go.

Yeah...  basically if you look at all of Baylor's close games this past season, and say they only win half of those, 8-4 is about the best they can do.

I say they'll lose at Iowa State, at Texas Tech, at West Virginia, at Texas, and at Oklahoma...  TCU might even beat them at McLane.

7-5 and a bowl game will still be a decent year, all things considered.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

if I'm Baylor, I actually backup the Brinks truck and offer Brady the HC position...why follow Rhule to the NFL right now to be an OC.

Go get that HC experience and make $5 million or so...call your own plays still and recruit like a madman. 

I’m not sure Joe Brady is a recruiter at all.  Are you sure you want a 30 yr old trying to sell his school and pedigree to you who has only been coaching for a year or 2 at a higher position?  OC at Carolina would make more sense than him as a HC at a P5 school right now

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 11:39 AM, MavGrad99 said:

I’m not sure Joe Brady is a recruiter at all.  Are you sure you want a 30 yr old trying to sell his school and pedigree to you who has only been coaching for a year or 2 at a higher position?  OC at Carolina would make more sense than him as a HC at a P5 school right now

my gosh...all top recruits watch on every sports media outlet ALL YEAR has been that Joe Brady is a genius that MADE Joe Burrow. Any parent or recruit that is wanting to go to the NFL (and they all do) would jump on that, if he was calling his own plays.

I mean he's been running the offense now (let's get real, LSU has just not wanted to not embarrass Ensminger and tell it the way it is) at the possible national champion --> and they've been better than LSU has EVER been.

he wants to be a HC...not a lifelong coordinator. 

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Sure he is. I've got his whole recruiting pitch right here...

source.gif

<SCENE: interior living room of HOTSHOT QB's house. Sitting around the coffee table with their son are HOTSHOT DAD and HOTSHOT MOM>

HOTSHOT MOM: "We really want Junior to go to a school with strong academics, and a program that has good wholesome values..."

HOTSHOT DAD: <interrupting> "And a downfield passing game. Are y'all Spread or Pro Set? What's the o-line depth look like? How's the running game?"

<suddenly Coach O kicks in the front door, accompanied by LSU spirit girls and a blasting jazz band, sweating and jabbering incoherently, he rips off his jacket to reveal a gold chain with a replica Heisman Trophy around his neck>

JOE BRADY: <calmly sips a cup of tea>  "So Junior...  what jersey number would you like?"

<CURTAIN>

• LOL! 2

18 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

Virginia Tech Justin Fuente is getting an interview from Baylor. Would be a good hire . I would try keeping McGuire on the staff.

I was big on Fuente before we hired Riley. In recent years, not so much. His star has dimmed a bit. 

3 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Baylor ought to try and convince Jr Briles to go ahead & leave Arky...despite some possible internal backlash

or go out on that limb and bring in Graham Harrell as HC/OC

Umm that scandal might prevent that. Baylor wanted to distance itself from that. Harrell is like major Applewhite and Jeff Traylor a big risk especially considering McGuire makes more sense anyways. 

19 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I don't understand McGuire continuing to be mentioned by some! what experience does he bring that a team in/near the top 10 -- that wants to continue that rising movement would be seeking?

More player liked familiarity similar what Traylor got going on. He was a well respected high school coach at Cedar Hill. No experience at the college level . It can work just not preferred route. Gus at auburn another example.

2 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

More player liked familiarity similar what Traylor got going on. He was a well respected high school coach at Cedar Hill. No experience at the college level . It can work just not preferred route. Gus at auburn another example.

yes, but Gus had been the successful OC at Arkansas before going to Auburn...

Jeff has been in the college realm since the '14 high school season ended, and has been trumped as one of the tip top recruiting assistants in the NCAA...and nearly got the SMU HC job when Morris left for Arkansas.