🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

7 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas took their shot at the top free agent with legit health concerns and couldn’t (apparently) pursued him to come out of retirement. Can’t be upset with that. 

Campbell would be a good hire. His coordinator picks would be very important. He’d need to hire stud recruiters and he’s not ready for the Texas media circus but he’s an upgrade over Herman. 

I’ll probably get mocked for this but...The best hire is a guy that can recruit very well. He would handle media and donors as well as Mack and he’s a good x and o guy. He won’t get a look because he doesn’t have P5 coaching experience but Jeff Traylor would be the best hire. I don’t know what kind of staff he would be able to put together but he would be a great recruiter, great with media/donors, and if he could hire great coordinators he be a great CEO type coach. 

I don't believe Traylor would be a good choice. For starters, as several of us have stated in recent weeks, I don't think another 'potential' hire is what Texas needs. They need someone proven. In addition, I'm not so sure Traylor would be the great recruiter at this point you think. The kids he's recruiting now were just starting middle school the last time he was roaming the High School sidelines. 

• Like 1

Here's the thing though. You just had a VERY public courtship with Meyer. Donors have made it known they are beyond frustrated with Herman, to the point of supposedly pulling money. Players are opting out with two games left in the season, some understandable to an extent, others not so much.

How do you repair that relationship going into another season?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Here's the thing though. You just had a VERY public courtship with Meyer. Donors have made it known they are beyond frustrated with Herman, to the point of supposedly pulling money. Players are opting out with two games left in the season, some understandable to an extent, others not so much.

How do you repair that relationship going into another season?

I agree completely. I absolutely get why they put all their chips on the table for Urban. I would also understand why you'd 'want' to just keep what you have when that didn't pan out, seeing the cost of the buyout. However, I also think the damage is done and now you don't have much choice but to eat that cost for someone else. 

As for the player opt outs, I don't believe that has anything to do with the coaches. If that were the case, they would've opted out before their shot at a B12 championship went out the window. As it is, the players that have recently opted out did so after. Meaning, at this point, they don't see why it's worth putting their future at risk for a chance to play in the Cheez-It bowl. 

• Like 2

You have to move on from Herman now or you will kill the next recruiting classes before they start and you’ll have more transfers than we can imagine. You can keep him through NSD1 and bowl season if you want too while interviewing other candidates but you cannot bring Herman back for another season. 

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

You have to move on from Herman now or you will kill the next recruiting classes before they start and you’ll have more transfers than we can imagine. You can keep him through NSD1 and bowl season if you want too while interviewing other candidates but you cannot bring Herman back for another season. 

I think the move needs to be made before NSD. And I think the replacement needs to be found and announced before then as well. ANY chance of flipping any players before NSD will only happen if they know who their coach will be.

12 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I don't believe Traylor would be a good choice. For starters, as several of us have stated in recent weeks, I don't think another 'potential' hire is what Texas needs. They need someone proven. In addition, I'm not so sure Traylor would be the great recruiter at this point you think. The kids he's recruiting now were just starting middle school the last time he was roaming the High School sidelines. 

Traylor is a people person, more skins on the wall would definitely help him with recruiting. He would have to hire great coordinators and a couple great recruiters but he’s Mack 2.0. 

In reality Texas just has to win and the recruits will come. Texas recruits itself, a winning coach would’ve brought the Brockermeyers to Texas and held on to Ewers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Really? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Penn State, and I would argue their culture is much less demanding than UT's. 

What case would you make that he's anything more than a lateral move from Herman? 

Maybe homerun is overstated but of the 3 options that were mentioned the best choice IMO 

Heck he won at Vandy and we know what that is like 

He  won 11 games in 3 out of the 6 previous seasons at Penn State

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I agree completely. I absolutely get why they put all their chips on the table for Urban. I would also understand why you'd 'want' to just keep what you have when that didn't pan out, seeing the cost of the buyout. However, I also think the damage is done and now you don't have much choice but to eat that cost for someone else. 

I 100% agree. Since they put it all on the table for Urban, they have to move on from Herman now. 

That said, I think it raises more red flags and makes things problematic for the next coach. The next guy is going to know he is a consolation prize because UT struck out and was forced to make a move. How do you go forward as a coach, knowing you weren't their first choice and probably don't have 100% support?

Herman has his problems, and I don't blame Texas for trying to get Meyer, but he played in a Big 12 Championship a year ago. Now is likely fired. What kind of pressure does that put on the next man up?

I don't blame Texas for what they did. I think they had to do it, but man, I feel like this might sting the program...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I 100% agree. Since they put it all on the table for Urban, they have to move on from Herman now. 

That said, I think it raises more red flags and makes things problematic for the next coach. The next guy is going to know he is a consolation prize because UT struck out and was forced to make a move. How do you go forward as a coach, knowing you weren't their first choice and probably don't have 100% support?

Herman has his problems, and I don't blame Texas for trying to get Meyer, but he played in a Big 12 Championship a year ago. Now is likely fired. What kind of pressure does that put on the next man up?

I don't blame Texas for what they did. I think they had to do it, but man, I feel like this might sting the program...

I never worry to much about that. Any time there is a job opening, you go into an interview knowing that they are interviewing more than 1 person. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

What about that young and up coming assistant coach who ran practices while Riley was out last week? I think he could have some “big games” ahead of him.

Nah, I think he needs some as a DC for an SEC program before I'm ready to consider him for the head coaching gig.  :woot:

3 hours ago, LOL said:

Really? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Penn State, and I would argue their culture is much less demanding than UT's. 

What case would you make that he's anything more than a lateral move from Herman? 

He is a better "politician" who can deal with the boosters and such. That would be my reasoning for thinking he'd be okay there. 

Not worth buying out Herman for $25 million, though. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think the Patterson ship has sailed at this point... 

I kinda agree with this, and at the same time I kinda want to see what GP could do with UT's recruiting resources. Kind of a morbid fascination... 

3 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Traylor is a people person, more skins on the wall would definitely help him with recruiting. He would have to hire great coordinators and a couple great recruiters but he’s Mack 2.0. 

In reality Texas just has to win and the recruits will come. Texas recruits itself, a winning coach would’ve brought the Brockermeyers to Texas and held on to Ewers. 

I’ll be happy to let him prove himself at another place like Mack sort of did.  And UTSA isn’t a place he can do that.  He’ll need to jump up to a p5 and compete annually for a while.  

• Like 1