Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Recommended Posts

We may as well start the 2020 thread.

Ehlinger and Cosmi returning next year. Duv and Collin Johnson gone.

Ingram, RoJo with more experience and Bijan coming in.

New DC, new OC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m anxious to see how the staff fills out.  There’s always going to be those that reach out just to get salary bumps, but who  do we think are serious candidates?  There will be 5 on each side of the ball.  
 

for recruiting purposes I hate seeing Beck go, but you can’t make staff decisions strictly on recruiting.  Glad to see him land on his feet at NC St. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’m anxious to see how the staff fills out.  There’s always going to be those that reach out just to get salary bumps, but who  do we think are serious candidates?  There will be 5 on each side of the ball.  
 

for recruiting purposes I hate seeing Beck go, but you can’t make staff decisions strictly on recruiting.  Glad to see him land on his feet at NC St. 

On the other side of it too, these guys may be taking what they can, while they can.  Let's say 2020 is just like 2019....  those opportunities will drop significantly if you choose to go down on that sinking ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hand, Drayton, and Giles return. I’ve seen Tyrone Carrier and Emmett Jones as possible WR coaches. I’ve seen former Horn and current Baylor DL coach Frank Okam mention for DL and moving Giles to DE coach. I’ve also seen Rams DL coach Eric Henderson name pop up, apparently he has deep recruiting ties in Texas and Louisiana.
 

TE coach needs to be a great recruiter. Ash will be safeties coach, I want a good developer to be CB coach and LB coach. 
 

Former Horn Blake Gidieon just won an award for special teams coach of the year. Wouldn’t mind seeing him take that role at Texas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

On the other side of it too, these guys may be taking what they can, while they can.  Let's say 2020 is just like 2019....  those opportunities will drop significantly if you choose to go down on that sinking ship.  

That’s a definite possibility.  If they go 7-5 again it’s done.  8-4 maybe.   I think 9-3 or better and they’re safe.  If that 9-3 comes with blowout losses to LSU, OU, and anybody they shouldn’t lose to I think Herman’s done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Hand, Drayton, and Giles return. I’ve seen Tyrone Carrier and Emmett Jones as possible WR coaches. I’ve seen former Horn and current Baylor DL coach Frank Okam mention for DL and moving Giles to DE coach. I’ve also seen Rams DL coach Eric Henderson name pop up, apparently he has deep recruiting ties in Texas and Louisiana.
 

TE coach needs to be a great recruiter. Ash will be safeties coach, I want a good developer to be CB coach and LB coach. 
 

Former Horn Blake Gidieon just won an award for special teams coach of the year. Wouldn’t mind seeing him take that role at Texas. 

Are those names verified as being true candidates or just message board fodder?  Because Brewster was even mentioned as a potential candidate at Texas.  
 

honest question.  Why does everyone say the TE coach must’ve a great recruiter?  That seems to be the notion from board to board on different teams.  Why?  Why not have good to great recruiters at every position coach?  That should be the goal.  But why is it so important the TE coach be a great recruiter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expectations should be high and pressure on Herman. He got rid of the coordinators so he will get the sole blame or praise this year. Returning qb will help a lot. Week 2 @ Lsu would be a huge and vital upset . 9-3 winning the the big one Ou . Winning the Tcu, baylors, kstate should always be the key to a successful season. Sky the limit if they can beat Lsu and OU ( new qb). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Are those names verified as being true candidates or just message board fodder?  
 

honest question.  Why does everyone say the TE coach must’ve a great recruiter?  That seems to be the notion from board to board on different teams.  Why?  Why not have good to great recruiters at every position coach?  That should be the goal.  But why is it so important the TE coach be a great recruiter?

This one is easy.  "Because coaching a position that utilizes a single player that is barely used in most offenses need to bring something else to the table."  Got that from about 5 other coaches a few minutes ago.  I am in agreement with you, you want guys at every position that can coach that position and improve players and also sell players that when they get to your school that they are going to get better and win a lot of games.  If your coaches can't convince players that you will have them Pro ready in 3-4 years, then you lost most of the elite athletes from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Are those names verified as being true candidates or just message board fodder?  
 

honest question.  Why does everyone say the TE coach must’ve a great recruiter?  That seems to be the notion from board to board on different teams.  Why?  Why not have good to great recruiters at every position coach?  That should be the goal.  But why is it so important the TE coach be a great recruiter?

Okam, Carrier, and Jones are names being linked to the program by multiple people. Henderson is a guy Ian Rapport mentioned would like to return to college. Gidieon is just my 2 cents. 
 

IMO some position coaches need to be great developers of talent and some need to be great recruiters. If you can find a coach that is both then lock him up and don’t let him leave. Hand and Drayton have the reputation of being good at both. My personal opinion is if you’re a great/good developer of talent then your recruiting becomes easier especially at a place like Texas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 schedule

Sept. 5: South Florida

Sept. 12: at LSU

Sept. 19: UTEP

Oct. 3: at Kansas State*

Oct. 10: vs. Oklahoma (Cotton Bowl, Dallas)*

Oct. 17: West Virginia*

Oct. 24: at Texas Tech*

Oct. 31: Baylor*

Nov. 7: at Kansas*

Nov. 14: TCU*

Nov. 21: Iowa State*

Nov. 28: at Oklahoma State*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question for UT faithful: what is the minimum Herman must reach in 2020 to remain coach? 

My UT family and friends are more or less in agreement that (injuries or not) UT has to at least reach the Big XII game for him not to be fired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10-2/9-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AKA said:

Serious question for UT faithful: what is the minimum Herman must reach in 2020 to remain coach? 

My UT family and friends are more or less in agreement that (injuries or not) UT has to at least reach the Big XII game for him not to be fired. 

I agree with your family. He’s gotta play for a championship or he’s done. 
 

The only injury that would change my mind would be a season ending injury to Ehlinger but even with that the back up right now is Thompson and he’ll be in his 3rd year with the program. So that may not even matter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AKA said:

Serious question for UT faithful: what is the minimum Herman must reach in 2020 to remain coach? 

My UT family and friends are more or less in agreement that (injuries or not) UT has to at least reach the Big XII game for him not to be fired. 

I'd say this is on point.  This team is now all Herman recruits and no excuses.  After LSU, OU, and @ OK State, Texas "should" win the other games, but as we've seen that is far from a given.  

I'm hoping with a more simplified defense and just letting players make plays will be a big improvement on that side of the ball.  Texas defense's in the part were at it's best under Chizik and Muschamp when they just let guys go play.  Diaz, Bedford, and Orlando all had good 1st years, but were figured out afterwards and also benefited from upperclassmen the 1st years.

Roach was the only Sr. that played on defense in the Bowl Game and I don't think it was shocking the defense looked it's best all year with a simplified scheme/4-man look.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

2020 schedule

Sept. 5: South Florida

Sept. 12: at LSU

Sept. 19: UTEP

Oct. 3: at Kansas State*

Oct. 10: vs. Oklahoma (Cotton Bowl, Dallas)*

Oct. 17: West Virginia*

Oct. 24: at Texas Tech*

Oct. 31: Baylor*

Nov. 7: at Kansas*

Nov. 14: TCU*

Nov. 21: Iowa State*

Nov. 28: at Oklahoma State*

Getting K-State early will help, they graduated a ton, so they'll probably be better 2nd half of season.

@ Oklahoma State last game will be tough.

Texas "should" win all the home games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No surprise, but Donovan Duvernay is transferring as a grad transfer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AKA said:

Serious question for UT faithful: what is the minimum Herman must reach in 2020 to remain coach? 

My UT family and friends are more or less in agreement that (injuries or not) UT has to at least reach the Big XII game for him not to be fired. 

Herman has to win the games he's supposed to win. And he needs to be consistent in how he wins. A 2 point win over Kansas and then a complete drubbing of Utah doesn't look good for him, no matter how good the Utah win feels. 

So to answer your question, I think he at least has to play in the B12 title game. And he needs to beat OU. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AKA said:

Serious question for UT faithful: what is the minimum Herman must reach in 2020 to remain coach? 

My UT family and friends are more or less in agreement that (injuries or not) UT has to at least reach the Big XII game for him not to be fired. 

9-3 with no blowout losses, he stays on.  That’s possibly no conference champ game either. That’s the minimum to stay imo.   Reaching the conference championship he’s guaranteed more time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I agree with your family. He’s gotta play for a championship or he’s done. 
 

The only injury that would change my mind would be a season ending injury to Ehlinger but even with that the back up right now is Thompson and he’ll be in his 3rd year with the program. So that may not even matter.

I’ll bet you money Card takes snaps before Thompson does.  That kid will start multiple years at Texas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I'd say this is on point.  This team is now all Herman recruits and no excuses.  After LSU, OU, and @ OK State, Texas "should" win the other games, but as we've seen that is far from a given.  

I'm hoping with a more simplified defense and just letting players make plays will be a big improvement on that side of the ball.  Texas defense's in the part were at it's best under Chizik and Muschamp when they just let guys go play.  Diaz, Bedford, and Orlando all had good 1st years, but were figured out afterwards and also benefited from upperclassmen the 1st years.

Roach was the only Sr. that played on defense in the Bowl Game and I don't think it was shocking the defense looked it's best all year with a simplified scheme/4-man look.

 

UT is better than Ok St man for man.  For whatever reason (I’m guessing Grundy), certain teams have a hard time beating them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’ll bet you money Card takes snaps before Thompson does.  That kid will start multiple years at Texas

I got money on JaQuinden Jackson. That kid is unreal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

This one is easy.  "Because coaching a position that utilizes a single player that is barely used in most offenses need to bring something else to the table."  Got that from about 5 other coaches a few minutes ago.  I am in agreement with you, you want guys at every position that can coach that position and improve players and also sell players that when they get to your school that they are going to get better and win a lot of games.  If your coaches can't convince players that you will have them Pro ready in 3-4 years, then you lost most of the elite athletes from the start.

I’ll also add that there are some coaches who are great teachers but just average recruiters. There are some that are great recruiters but just average teachers. There are only a few at each position that can be considered both. And you don’t always just get to have one that’s great at both. So assuming you have to choose between a teacher and a recruiter for TEs, you typically go for Recruiter since as you said, the position isn’t as used as others. You get a stud recruiter and let him assist other position coaches who might be better teachers than recruiters. 

Of course everyone dreams of having a staff full of guys that are elite at both, but when you can’t thats what I’ve seen happen. RB coaches are also usually stud recruiters since the position is probably the easiest in college football to play and learn so teachers aren’t as valuable there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I’ll also add that there are some coaches who are great teachers but just average recruiters. There are some that are great recruiters but just average teachers. There are only a few at each position that can be considered both. And you don’t always just get to have one that’s great at both. So assuming you have to choose between a teacher and a recruiter for TEs, you typically go for Recruiter since as you said, the position isn’t as used as others. You get a stud recruiter and let him assist other position coaches who might be better teachers than recruiters. 

Of course everyone dreams of having a staff full of guys that are elite at both, but when you can’t thats what I’ve seen happen. RB coaches are also usually stud recruiters since the position is probably the easiest in college football to play and learn so teachers aren’t as valuable there. 

I can’t remember who the LSU RB Coach was this year but someone needs to give him a raise.  Seems like he taught something that can’t be taught to the LSU RBs... bravery.

Edwards-Helaire knocked the piss out of blitzing LBs and hit holes with no regards as to who may possibly be sitting in it.  The freshman backup played just as well in his limited action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

I can’t remember who the LSU RB Coach was this year but someone needs to give him a raise.  Seems like he taught something that can’t be taught to the LSU RBs... bravery.

Edwards-Helaire knocked the out of blitzing LBs and hit holes with no regards as to who may possibly be sitting in it.  The freshman backup played just as well in his limited action.

Kids might just have it. I think Edwards-Helaire is all heart. That can’t be taught anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

UT is better than Ok St man for man.  For whatever reason (I’m guessing Grundy), certain teams have a hard time beating them

True, but they are always sneaky and have been a tough win for Texas lately.  They return nearly everyone, and if Hubbard comes back they are going to be really good IMO.  Plus the game this year is in Stillwater.  Last game of the year though, and you can never tell with injuries at that point in the season, but I've got it down as the 3rd hardest game next year after LSU and OU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...