🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

14 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Finally official: Javonne Shepherd is out at Texas and is said to be attending Butler CC in Kansas. Rumor is he has a lot of work to do in order to get his grades in order. 

That’s been where this was headed for a while now.  Glad it’s official.  Kid was said to be a bit of a locker room issue at times.  One year in and he’s already going Juco.  That tells you a little something, especially with the academic support these athletes get.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

That’s been where this was headed for a while now.  Glad it’s official.  Kid was said to be a bit of a locker room issue at times.  One year in and he’s already going Juco.  That tells you a little something, especially with the academic support these athletes get.  

I swear... If i had half of the support D1 college football players get with their school work, I would have made the President's List every semester.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I swear... If i had half of the support D1 college football players get with their school work, I would have made the President's List every semester.

Same. My wife and I were in school, working, and pregnant. Still made the grade. I tutored athletes during my time at OU and would've loved to have been surrounded by that support system.

Any student-athlete in a big time football program who has academic issues is borderline retarded. 

4 minutes ago, AKA said:

Same. My wife and I were in school, working, and pregnant. Still made the grade. I tutored athletes during my time at OU and would've loved to have been surrounded by that support system.

Any student-athlete in a big time football program who has academic issues is borderline retarded. 

Think of it... some of these kids "qualify" for schools like OU.  HOW?!?!?  Minimum ACT score at ETBU was 17 or something and there were kids who didn't even touch that.  How do you make a 12 on your ACT?  I didn't prep at all for it when i took it and made a 24.  I went to MARSHALL HIGH SCHOOL in REGULAR CLASSES!  No AP, etc.  How the hell did these kids get into OU?  and UT?  Those are supposed to be the top schools in our states for education........

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Think of it... some of these kids "qualify" for schools like OU.  HOW?!?!?  Minimum ACT score at ETBU was 17 or something and there were kids who didn't even touch that.  How do you make a 12 on your ACT?  I didn't prep at all for it when i took it and made a 24.  I went to MARSHALL HIGH SCHOOL in REGULAR CLASSES!  No AP, etc.  How the hell did these kids get into OU?  and UT?  Those are supposed to be the top schools in our states for education........

<sigh> Preachin' to the choir, hoss. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

It was said that Shepherd quit attending classes halfway through the semester.  Can’t help the ones that don’t want to be helped

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

It was said that Shepherd quit attending classes halfway through the semester.  Can’t help the ones that don’t want to be helped

Lol, yeah, that'll certainly impact your GPA.  :D 

I know this might not be considered UT news, but most of us would find it interesting: 

Texas Tech reporting that Todd Orlando is no longer part of the staff. His time at Tech lasted two weeks. Reports are he is working a deal to become USC's DC.

3 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I know this might not be considered UT news, but most of us would find it interesting: 

Texas Tech reporting that Todd Orlando is no longer part of the staff. His time at Tech lasted two weeks. Reports are he is working a deal to become USC's DC.

I thought it was confirmed last night/this morning. It was on ESPNU radio this morning.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I thought it was confirmed last night/this morning. It was on ESPNU radio this morning.

Yeah, I don't even follow any UT folks but it was all over sports Twitter this past weekend. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:47 PM, DB2point0 said:

I just talked to a guy in Texarkana I know.  His son plays at PG.  he says Jackson hasn’t said one way or the other, but a lot assume it’s aTm 

everytime i see him he's wearing something UT but when i ask someone who "knows" they always say he's leaning towards A&M. 

40 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Texas football program valued at $1.10B, highest in the country.

Now, how do you judge the monetary value of a college football program, you can’t sell it?

The Dallas Cowboys are valued at around $5.5B and the Jones family could actually sell them.

Kind of an interesting topic. 

So the Value would be determined by (this is just me doing my own evaluation):

Current value of what is physically owned/built... this is equipment, buildings etc
Current value of assets...  I think this is calculated by "merchandise profits x10 years"
Minus depreciation, which UT is going up with the renovations.
Minus or plus current trajectory.

Screw donors etc.  Sure, those guys get the stuff built but they shouldn't value into any equation.

33 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Most Valuable #CFB Programs | @247Sports

$1.10B Texas
$1.05B Ohio St
$1.01B Alabama
$925M Michigan
$913M ND
$891M Georgia
$886M Oklahoma
$872M Auburn
$852M LSU
$728M Tennessee
$635M Florida
$541M Texas A&M
$519M Penn St
$475M Wisconsin
$472M Nebraska

Really shocked that A&M is so far down there.  I guess their brand may not extend too far past the state of Texas with their degree programs etc.  

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Most Valuable #CFB Programs | @247Sports

$1.10B Texas
$1.05B Ohio St
$1.01B Alabama
$925M Michigan
$913M ND
$891M Georgia
$886M Oklahoma
$872M Auburn
$852M LSU
$728M Tennessee