🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

54 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Just my opinion, but if you look at the three schools involved which team offers the best opportunity for him to get on the field? He could go to all three schools and end up being a stud, average or dud. His chances at being a stud are greater at Mizzou than the other two schools.

Which school was giving an offer first? Might play a role if one school came along late due to other recruits or what not.

2 minutes ago, Champ1000 said:

Which school was giving an offer first? Might play a role if one school came along late due to other recruits or what not.

Missouri definitely had been recruiting him much longer than Bama or Texas. 
It’s still a mistake IMO. I honestly wish the kid nothing but success and hope he becomes at great player/person. 

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Best of luck to Rakestraw but just for after football opportunities Missouri was a bad choice. If it’s just about football and getting on the field as quickly as possible then that’s his best option but kid do a little research on the state and university that you’re going to be connected to. Any FBS university in Texas would’ve been a better spot. 

Exactly. Mizzou would not be among my top choices if I was in his situation. There’s a lot of recent issues with the school that would concern me more than immediate playing time. Then again, if the kids goal is to get to the next level and this gets him there faster that’s his choice. Some teenagers can see the big picture earlier than others. Hopefully it works out for him.

• Thanks 1

According to Carthage Athletics FB page, Dixon signed with Texas this morning.  I don’t see him getting a lot of playing time in 2020.........But with a year of natural growth, strength training, and work on making his routes more crisp, I see him in the rotation in 2021.  
And just to be clear, he was a great 4A receiver AND runner.

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

According to Carthage Athletics FB page, Dixon signed with Texas this morning.  I don’t see him getting a lot of playing time in 2020.........But with a year of natural growth, strength training, and work on making his routes more crisp, I see him in the rotation in 2021.  
And just to be clear, he was a great 4A receiver AND runner.

I’d have no problem with that timeline and letting him grow physically and in knowledge of the new offense he’ll be learning.

1 hour ago, Champ1000 said:

I read that he’s a solid recruiter but a better developer of talent. If true then I’m pretty happy with the hire. Texas will bring in top talent, so im hoping Herman hired good coaches that will develop that talent. 

Giles will Coach the DEs and Hagen the DTs. 

• Like 1

With the Collins signature Texas will finish with 19 commits and the #9 class per 247sports. 

Texas finished 5th in player average at 91.90. Lots of quality in a small class. 

The headliners are the two 5* prospects in Alfred Collins and Bijan Robinson. Just behind them are the top two QBs in the state of Texas in Hudson Card and Jaqueiden Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

With the Collins signature Texas will finish with 19 commits and the #9 class per 247sports. 

Texas finished 5th in player average at 91.90. Lots of quality in a small class. 

The headliners are the two 5* prospects in Alfred Collins and Bijan Robinson. Just behind them are the top two QBs in the state of Texas in Hudson Card and Jaqueiden Jackson. 

It's a good class for a small number and Texas is stacking good depth/talent in the trenches and that should continue with the next class.

Johnston flipping to TCU and not getting another CB are the letdowns.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

A few updates:

Bj Foster having surgery on his shoulder. 

Anthony Cook to nickel.

Overshown to WILL LB.

Ossai, Vaughns to play hybrid JACK position.

Roschon Johnson staying at RB.

Epps to TE.

Love all these moves. 

Wish Foster would’ve had that done already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Love all these moves. 

Wish Foster would’ve had that done already. 

A 4-man front and letting players just play instead of thinking will see a huge improvement in the defense.  I think we'll see more games like the Utah performance instead of the trash Orlando put out.  Ossai had 3 sacks in the bowl game when he was allowed to rush the passer instead of trying to cover people.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell and Overshown are the 2 starting LB's come spring.  Ash sucked as a HC, but he's been pretty legit as a DC in his career.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

A 4-man front and letting players just play instead of thinking will see a huge improvement in the defense.  I think we'll see more games like the Utah performance instead of the trash Orlando put out.  Ossai had 3 sacks in the bowl game when he was allowed to rush the passer instead of trying to cover people.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell and Overshown are the 2 starting LB's come spring.  Ash sucked as a HC, but he's been pretty legit as a DC in his career.

I've said for years that I prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4, or that 3-3-5 bull crud I've seen. The best defensive fronts can make an avg secondary look great, while a poor defensive front can make a really good secondary look avg. An accurate QB can pick any defense apart, if he has all day to throw. I think that's what we saw last season. I still believe this secondary is better than they showed last year. 

3 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I've said for years that I prefer the 4-3 over the 3-4, or that 3-3-5 bull crud I've seen. The best defensive fronts can make an avg secondary look great, while a poor defensive front can make a really good secondary look avg. An accurate QB can pick any defense apart, if he has all day to throw. I think that's what we saw last season. I still believe this secondary is better than they showed last year. 

The 3man front can work beautifully you just absolutely have to have the right personnel to run it. Texas hasn’t had it imo. The dline was a little undersized for it. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

The 3man front can work beautifully you just absolutely have to have the right personnel to run it. Texas hasn’t had it imo. The dline was a little undersized for it. 

Having a Von Miller type who can play the run, rush the passer, or go into coverage on occasion helps tremendously with a 3-4. 

16 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

We got a little taste of what the 4 man front looks like against Utah and it was night and day compared to the awful 3 man we saw throughout the whole season. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WETSU said:

We ran a 3-3-5 and it worked perfectly the past few seasons. However, 2018 graduation depleted our DL and LBs depth in 2019. We ended up playing horrible on defense this past year, and our DC and DL coaches were fired.

Shaka Smart is signed thru 2023 ........ I wonder if the big money boosters can stand watching a bunch of tall athletes play basketball another 3 years or if they are ready to put some basketball players/shooters on the court. Shaka is apparently unable to recruit very good/great shooters. 

2 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Shaka Smart is signed thru 2023 ........ I wonder if the big money boosters can stand watching a bunch of tall athletes play basketball another 3 years or if they are ready to put some basketball players/shooters on the court. Shaka is apparently unable to recruit very good/great shooters. 

Basketball is banned from this thread until Shaka is gone.