🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

I have never heard “The Eyes of Texas” was once “The Eyes of South”?? or “The Eyes of the South”. I have never heard that song was a racist thing at its origin. 

Definitely news to me and I have been a Longhorn fan my whole life. Is it possible this accusation is inaccurate?

What bothers me in this “sanitizing chaos” society we live, songs such as “Eyes of Texas” are sung with school pride in the context of 2020 and not 1900. I have never once sung the fight song with any thought of malice toward a segment of our population. When you pick asinine battles such as this, you create racial divides rather than heal them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I have never heard “The Eyes of Texas” was once “The Eyes of South”?? or “The Eyes of the South”. I have never heard that song was a racist thing at its origin. 

Definitely news to me and I have been a Longhorn fan my whole life. Is it possible this accusation is inaccurate?

Back story

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2020/6/12/21289783/eyes-of-texas-alma-mater-racist-history-texas-longhorns

A&M didn't allow black students until 1963, 7 years after the RACIST University of Texas, and University of North Texas.

Other Racist Universities:

Houston: 1960s (guessing '63 also)
Texas Tech: 1961
A&M Commerce 1963 (guessing it was the entire A&M System)

So the first school(s) in Texas to allow black students was the Super Racist school known as The University of Texas... because of a song?  I guess every city in the state is racist too because almost every district has a Robert E Lee school etc for honoring the historical leaders who helped establish this wonderful state.  

29 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

A&M didn't allow black students until 1963, 7 years after the RACIST University of Texas, and University of North Texas.

So the first school(s) in Texas to allow black students was the Super Racist school known as The University of Texas... because of a song?  I guess every city in the state is racist too because almost every district has a Robert E Lee school etc for honoring the historical leaders who helped establish this wonderful state.  

But Mav. Their dorms are named after Klan leaders and they defaced their MLK statue!

7 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Political correctness run amok ... some liberal snowflakes are pushing this behind the scenes ... sadly, they are using young athletes as pawns in their sick political game ...

These athletes are adults. They OWN their actions. This is 100 PERCENT on them.

They are not "kids" anymore, even though coaches and sports commentators often mislabel them that way.

So I shouldn’t expect to hear rap songs about killing cops, killing whities or selling drugs in the stadium anymore.  I’m all for doing away with the song if it offends certain folks, but what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.  Rap music offends me as a person, father, human being.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

The flagship led the way in that too.

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

But Mav. Their dorms are named after Klan leaders and they defaced their MLK statue!

If that is true, then change the name of the dorms, but most of this is utter BS.  It's people who are offended that you even refer to another person's skin as a color that are offended by every thing.  These people need to chill out.  Go to Washington DC and fight for the Redskins to change their name...  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So I shouldn’t expect to hear rap songs about killing cops, killing whities or selling drugs in the stadium anymore.  I’m all for doing away with the song if it offends certain folks, but what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.  Rap music offends me as a person, father, human being.

I didn't even think about that.  There was a 30 for 30 or something about the Oakland Raiders that played nothing but NWA songs that basically say something like "F the Police" in every song.  

When my son was in high school he ran track and we would go to his track meets.  We would strike up conversations with other people in the stands.  Many would ask what event he participated in and many would lead with is he in 800, 1600, etc.?  I would say nope, he runs the 100, 200, and is the anchor on the sprint relays.  Of course I was met with all types of responses most of which made me laugh....and proud.

Just trying to bring some levity to the conversation.

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

North Texas was the first school in the state to allow black athletes. There's a really good book about it called The Game Changers. 

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/sports/football-legend-abner-haynes-recalls-integrating-texas-football-becoming-early-afl-superstar/501-a87d486e-84de-460d-826a-71f2f285196c

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abner_Haynes

On 6/13/2020 at 4:26 PM, Raiderfan7000 said:

Most schools in the south paid their respect to the South. If you look hard enough everyone except Jesus Christ has had some flaws . Getting worked up about it is kinda silly.

My point exactly.  Just curious as to what JF has to say about their universities founder.

Texas lands 4* CB Ishmael Ibraheem and 4* S JD Coffey.

Defense recruiting is looking real good right now, but offense looks like a dud atm.

Brockermeyer brothers will be the difference in a top 5 elite class instead of a 5-10 pretty good class IMO and right now they are trending to Alabama.  Maybe things change if Texas wins the Big 12, but if Herman can't do it this year with this roster then I'm not sure if he ever will ( and will need to do some @Stoney soul searching ).  Winning the Big 12 and in consideration/making the playoff will make a lot of current players committed elsewhere think about flipping and payoff big for the 22' class.  Have another 7-5 type season and it's probably start over time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LOL said:

The NFL has already lost me for 2020. If the NCAA gets into it I'll be abandoning ship as well. 

Pretty sure the NCAA will leave it up to the individual schools.  The NCAA has other inequalities to take advantage of.

• Like 1