🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

20 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Texas boards should be in meltdown mode tomorrow when the Brockermeyer brothers commit to Alabama.

That’s pretty much been know for awhile hasn’t it?

From my understanding Texas need a great season to sway them and it looks like that is not going to happen.

16 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Black shire is an SEC LB. He reminds me of Edmond from Daingerfield.

The sec offenses are evolving to more spread concepts.  They’re not the same old ground and pound of years past.  If you think he’d struggle in the big 12 he’ll struggle over there.  

edmond has poor instincts and was poorly coached by iaz 

43 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

No surprise, but it still #### that Tom keeps missing out on the big time recruits from Texas

It's not just Herman though. Strong had to recruit heavily out of state as well, for this very reason. 

As I've said many times in recent years, I'm just tired of seeing so many Texas kids go out of state. You go anywhere in Texas, and everyone has their Texas pride, except HS athletes apparently. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

It's not just Herman though. Strong had to recruit heavily out of state as well, for this very reason. 

As I've said many times in recent years, I'm just tired of seeing so many Texas kids go out of state. You go anywhere in Texas, and everyone has their Texas pride, except HS athletes apparently. 

I think the kids now just don’t have Texas pride like we did when we were growing up. 
I actually think very few of them have pride for their home state wherever that may be.
Kids are just different nowadays. If Texas were dominant right now I think they’d be Longhorns, but only because the Longhorns are up (if they were up like they have been in the past).

These guys just don’t have pride in their home state like people used to. Sad.

If I were one of the top football players in the country I probably would not have many folks on my visits list outside of Texas, truly. I’d want to play for a Texas university.

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

That part bothers me too, when someone says he can't recruit. He may not be getting the vast majority of the top talent in Texas, but he's been able to make up for it, to an extent, by recruiting outside well...Arizona, CA, etc. 

And the funniest part of it all, for the Texas HS kids that every year say, "I want to see what they do on the field first", well, if those very players all chose Texas each year, you'd see them be great! The Alabama's of the world stay great for that very reason, their ability to bring in Top players every year. 

That brings up another point...

For several years now, people have argued, 'Well Texas doesn't develop their talent'. And for several years, I believed that as well. Until I looked at it from another perspective, that is.

It's easy(er) to send multiple players to the NFL every year when you bring in the best players in the country each year. It's much harder, and much more challenging to do it with lesser talent. Yes, Texas has brought in a few big name players in recent years, but look at the star rating for those players going pro. Most of them were 3 and 4 star players. 

Can they do better, of course. But they aren't as bad as made out to be.

23 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

For several years now, people have argued, 'Well Texas doesn't develop their talent'. And for several years, I believed that as well. Until I looked at it from another perspective, that is.

It's easy(er) to send multiple players to the NFL every year when you bring in the best players in the country each year. It's much harder, and much more challenging to do it with lesser talent. Yes, Texas has brought in a few big name players in recent years, but look at the star rating for those players going pro. Most of them were 3 and 4 star players. 

he has to win more or he will be seen as a failure.  The thing is, who are realistic better options?  Dabo, Saban, etc... you aren't stealing those guys.  You can money whip Big 10 coaches into coming here, but that style of football hasn't won in the B12 for a long time.

43 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Herman has faults, but recruiting and to a bigger extent, identifying/evaluation of HS players isn't one of them.  I'd say his evals are one of his biggest strengths.  He's about to take the #1123 player (per composite) and turn him into possibly the #1 OT taken in the next draft.  The other OL take from his 1st class is one of the top 5 returning pass blockers at OT and may be a mid round draft as well in Kerstetter.   Having this happen will give OL recruiting a boost in the 22' class (unless Texas plays another dud), which is loaded at OL as well.

Herman also found guys late in Karic and Hookfin who look like good takes as well.  Only problem with this now is if no HS season he wont be able to find these guys.

The OL, while much better than what Texas fans had seen in late Mack/Strong era, still has room for improvement and is in a much better spot than when he stepped on campus 4 years ago and now has depth and every incoming recruit is now red shirting.

I saw a stat the other day the combined composite of the 20 OL on the 4 playoff teams last year was barely over .90, which is the lower end of a 4*.  

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

No surprise, but it still #### that Tom keeps missing out on the big time recruits from Texas

No replacing Tommy and that one stings badly.

James is replaceable, and I've already posted a profile of a recruit I wish Texas would go ahead and offer.  Just became the #1 Center on 247's rankings.  Texas has been in contact with him.

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Herman is the coach now, Strong is gone.  These misses fall squarely on tom.  

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think the kids now just don’t have Texas pride like we did when we were growing up. 
I actually think very few of them have pride for their home state wherever that may be.
Kids are just different nowadays. If Texas were dominant right now I think they’d be Longhorns, but only because the Longhorns are up (if they were up like they have been in the past).

These guys just don’t have pride in their home state like people used to. Sad.

If I were one of the top football players in the country I probably would not have many folks on my visits list outside of Texas, truly. I’d want to play for a Texas university.

I think Tom leaned on the fact that their dad was an alumni and their brother was already on campus.  It but him in the butt.  The one position you have to recruit well every year in and Texas has not done great.  They’ve done okay and developed well.  Texas needs to start winning the conference and making the playoffs before they start recruiting top notch lineman.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

You’ve gotta look at positional needs and not just recruiting rankings.  Signing a ton is skill kids can cover up a lack of top OL and DL.  And so far Texas has lacked in re rioting really well up front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

You don’t get to Bama and clemson status by developing 3 and 4 star guys.  You do it by landing top players and developing them.  That’s how those programs stay on top.  Their backups and third string would start for several otheR good teams.

Just now, DB2point0 said:

You don’t get to Bama and clemson status by developing 3 and 4 star guys.  You do it by landing top players and developing them.  That’s how those programs stay on top.  Their backups and third string would start for several otheR good teams.

I would be willing to bet if you that Texas has a higher recruiting class ranking average for the last decade than Clemson.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

he has to win more or he will be seen as a failure.  The thing is, who are realistic better options?  Dabo, Saban, etc... you aren't stealing those guys.  You can money whip Big 10 coaches into coming here, but that style of football hasn't won in the B12 for a long time.

If Les miles wasn’t so stubborn he’d be on your list.  That man could recruit too.  

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

I would be willing to bet if you that Texas has a higher recruiting class ranking average for the last decade than Clemson.

Clemson’s rise was sudden, and they’re proving to stay due to their recruiting.  You may be right

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You’ve gotta look at positional needs and not just recruiting rankings.  Signing a ton is skill kids can cover up a lack of top OL and DL.  And so far Texas has lacked in re rioting really well up front.

No they haven't.  They signed four(4) 4* OL just this past cycle.  Year before they got Tyler Johnson who was a 5* until he didn't attend any camps + Hookfin and a JUCO.  Yes, they've missed on OL this class so far.

And how has DL recruiting been bad?  Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, Collins, Ossai would have been takes for a lot of big time programs and they already have the best DE in the state currently plus Harris and Thomas.  The DL recruiting and depth is very good and going to a 4-man will show out this year.  And I haven't even mentioned Sweat, Warren, Graham, Bimage, Jones, that's a deep and talented DL room.

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

No they haven't.  They signed four(4) 4* OL just this past cycle.  Year before they got Tyler Johnson who was a 5* until he didn't attend any camps + Hookfin and a JUCO.  Yes, they've missed on OL this class so far.

And how has DL recruiting been bad?  Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, Collins, Ossai would have been takes for a lot of big time programs and they already have the best DE in the state currently plus Harris and Thomas.  The DL recruiting and depth is very good and going to a 4-man will show out this year.  And I haven't even mentioned Sweat, Warren, Graham, Bimage, Jones, that's a deep and talented DL room.

Wasn’t coburn the only DL in that class?  They recruited a big QB (project at best) out of La to play DL and he left Already.  Bimage is 6’2” and a tweeter that hasn’t impacted the team yet.  I’ll give you last year’s class, but those guys were recruited for a 3 man front.  Sweat was so far under the radar when he committed, he was a good find.  I’m just tired of seeing these guys we need not really considering Texas

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Wasn’t coburn the only DL in that class?  They recruited a big QB (project at best) out of La to play DL and he left Already.  Bimage is 6’2” and a tweeter that hasn’t impacted the team yet.  I’ll give you last year’s class, but those guys were recruited for a 3 man front.  Sweat was so far under the radar when he committed, he was a good find.  I’m just tired of seeing these guys we need not really considering Texas

The Coburn class had Ossai, Ojomo, and the La kid that bolted.

I just remember in the Tech game when Bimage was finally let to line up outside the Tackle he had a couple of sacks.

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Sweat was so far under the radar when he committed, he was a good find.

Sweat was rated low (specifically by Rivals, outside top 100 in the state) because he attended a camp his Soph year and didn't perform very well and they never looked at him again.  His Sr tape was fantastic plus he was a defensive MVP in basketball as well. And he's 300+ lbs.  He was the best DL in the state after Leal. Guys like Nana Osafo, Braden Lowery, and Josh Ellison were rated higher with Sweat having much better film.

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

The Coburn class had Ossai, Ojomo, and the La kid that bolted.

I just remember in the Tech game when Bimage was finally let to line up outside the Tackle he had a couple of sacks.

Ojomo was 16 at graduation.  Was ossai labeled a DE or LB?  I think OLB.