🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Herman is the coach now, Strong is gone.  These misses fall squarely on tom.  

You failed to miss my point. Over the last several years, it hasn't mattered who the coach is, and it's not just UT...

Over the last 5 years:

54% of the Top 25 players in Texas have chosen to go out of state.

44% of the Top 10 players in Texas have chosen to go out of state.

There are 5 Power 5 Programs in the State of Texas. Then you have schools like, SMU, UTEP, UNT, Houston, Rice, etc. A plethora of instate programs to choose from; and even still, 54% of the Top 25 players in Texas have gone elsewhere. 

It's not just a Tom Herman problem.

4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

You failed to miss my point. Over the last several years, it hasn't mattered who the coach is, and it's not just UT...

Over the last 5 years:

There are 5 Power 5 Programs in the State of Texas. Then you have schools like, SMU, UTEP, UNT, Houston, Rice, etc. A plethora of instate programs to choose from; and even still, 54% of the Top 25 players in Texas have gone elsewhere. 

It might would help if a team from Texas made it to the playoff.  Texas is the best bet as they could probably get in with 1 loss.  I don't think a 1 loss Baylor, Tech, or TCU would get in over other name programs.  I don't think A&M can come out of the SEC West to have a chance in the conference championship game.

19 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Over the last 5 years:

I understand your point, I just don’t care about The recruiting at those other Texas teams.  Tom coaches the longhorns, and they’ve/he’s missed out on lots of guys That left the state, but most of all higher rated positions of need.  It’s nice to reach out and pluck a National POY out of Arizona, but missing on the top rated OL in the country (resident of Texas/legacy recruit) and settling for a 3-4 star guy stings.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Over the last 5 years:

It’s a Big 12 problem.

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Big12 needs to add Arkansas and Memphis, got two divisions and play 4-5 non conference games and boost rankings.  

I agree Memphis is the best expansion candidate. 

Arkansas isn’t leaving the SEC, and if my some miracle they did then I hope Oklahoma would seize the opportunity and slide into that spot.

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I agree Memphis is the best expansion candidate. 

Arkansas isn’t leaving the SEC, and if my some miracle they did then I hope Oklahoma would seize the opportunity and slide into that spot.

Arkansas is the eternal #### in the sec west.  Without recruiting Texas hard they’ll suffer.  Being back in the big12 would help their exposure here. 

Ou will stay in the Big12.  

Just now, Raiderfan7000 said:

Not much insensitive for them to leave. Oklahoma would benefit either way. Ou would be a good pickup for their brand alone. 

Not much incentive?  Stay a bottom dweller or give yourself a chance to improve your program by recruiting  a state you used to live in?

ou won’t leave

2 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Not like they would become a power just because they left. They are doing just fine recruiting now. Arkansas has been lackluster because of coaching and recruiting. 

And getting physically whipped for the last 7-8 years.  They’d be able to play more games in Texas giving them a better recruiting presence here.  Their best times in history were with rosters full of Texas kids.  Just like OU, they have tons of Texas kids.  Heck Missouri was prolly 25% full of Texas kids til they left.  Have been irrelevant since.

3 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Arkansas will be back to contending . Ou might wanna get out of brother shadow. If they got an invite to the sec or even the Big 10 , they’re good as gone.

Not everybody tucks tail and runs from their brother, just the ones that can’t overcome big brother’s shadow.  OU holds their own very well and has a good path to the CFP every year.  Leaving would be dumb

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think the kids now just don’t have Texas pride like we did when we were growing up. 
I actually think very few of them have pride for their home state wherever that may be.
Kids are just different nowadays. If Texas were dominant right now I think they’d be Longhorns, but only because the Longhorns are up (if they were up like they have been in the past).

These guys just don’t have pride in their home state like people used to. Sad.

If I were one of the top football players in the country I probably would not have many folks on my visits list outside of Texas, truly. I’d want to play for a Texas university.

These kids are 17-18 years old. What has Texas done in the last 8-10 years to instill Texas pride? What has Alabama done to woo the top talent in the country? Winning cures everything and whenever Texas comes back, they will get there fair share...

• Thanks 1

Just now, trueblue82 said:

Incorrect.  There was one for sure. I’ve been a BAMA fan longer than you’ve been a horns fan. 

I seriously doubt that.  15 years ago you couldn’t find a Bama fan around here.  Now they’re everywhere.  Wonder why

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

These kids are 17-18 years old. What has Texas done in the last 8-10 years to instill Texas pride? What has Alabama done to woo the top talent in the country? Winning cures everything and whenever Texas comes back, they will get there fair share...

That has nothing to do with it. If they had pride in their home state like older generations did  before them fewer would leave the state than they do now regardless of what Texas, A&M, UH, Tech, TCU or SMU has done in the last 8-10 years. 
That’s part of what I’m saying. Your pride in your home state should make you want to go to UT or A&M, etc even when they’re not winning 11+ games per season. 

I understand there’ll always be players leave to go to great programs like Alabama, it just feels like way more guys are leaving now. 
I hate top Texas talents going to OU, but they are way closer than Alabama, especially to the DFW Metroplex. The DFW guys’ families and homes are closer to OU than UT many times. 

11 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That has nothing to do with it. If they had pride in their home state like older generations did  before them fewer would leave the state than they do now regardless of what Texas, A&M, UH, Tech, TCU or SMU has done in the last 8-10 years. 
That’s part of what I’m saying. Your pride in your home state should make you want to go to UT or A&M, etc even when they’re not winning 11+ games per season. 

I understand there’ll always be players leave to go to great programs like Alabama, it just feels like way more guys are leaving now. 
I hate top Texas talents going to OU, but they are way closer than Alabama, especially to the DFW Metroplex. The DFW guys’ families and homes are closer to OU than UT many times. 

I tend to agree with both of you to different extents.  These younger kids don’t think about anything but themselves, their “moment”, What’s going on on twitter, Instagram and Facebook.  All of them think they’re going to the NFL 3 years removed from high school and don’t think to set themselves up for life after football.  Some do, but most don’t.  They should pick a school that will do that.  

my opinion on the brockermeyer brothers.  The OT will be drafted in three years wherever he went.  Going to Bama won’t give him any extra benefits.  This proves there’s no pride as Hearem says.  He could help him home state flagship rebuild (as a legacy recruit).  His brother will stay at school for 5 years and prolly play 1.5-2 seasons.  He’ll have to develop and wait his turn at Bama if he doesn’t get passed up by a younger, higher rated more athletic kid.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I tend to agree with both of you to different extents.  These younger kids don’t think about anything but themselves, their “moment”, What’s going on on twitter, Instagram and Facebook.  All of them think they’re going to the NFL 3 years removed from high school and don’t think to set themselves up for life after football.  Some do, but most don’t.  They should pick a school that will do that.  

my opinion on the brockermeyer brothers.  The OT will be drafted in three years wherever he went.  Going to Bama won’t give him any extra benefits.  This proves there’s no pride as Hearem says.  He could help him home state flagship rebuild (as a legacy recruit).  His brother will stay at school for 5 years and prolly play 1.5-2 seasons.  He’ll have to develop and wait his turn at Bama if he doesn’t get passed up by a younger, higher rated more athletic kid.  

This is a fun idea. Here is the list of 4 star or 5 star Offensive Linemen who have committed to Texas in 2010-2016 classes who went on to be undrafted and were not even signed as a undrafted free agent.

Dominic Espinosa

Sedrick Flowers

Garrett Greenlea

Josh Cochran

Kennedy Estelle

Curtis Riser

Camrhon Hughes

Donald Hawkins

Darius James

Kent Perkins

Jake Raulerson

Rami Hammad

Patrick Vahe

Patrick Hudson

Jean Delance

JP Uriquidez

Here is the same list for Alabama during that time period.

Aaron Douglas (deceased)

Alphonse Taylor 

Grant Hill (quit to focus on track & field)

Joshua Casher

Richie Petitbon (transfer to Illinois)

Dallas Warmack (transfer to Oregon)

Brandon Kennedy (transfer to Tennessee)

Charles Baldwin (transfer to Kansas)

Scott Lashey (transfer portal)

So literally only two guys who actually played out their career at Alabama did not spend any time in the NFL at all.

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Gotcha and I agree. Not necessarily a Texas thing only. I need to look it up, but I'm curious how many top recruits Florida, Georgia, and California are losing. Ohio State gets their pick of the litter in Ohio, so we can leave them out...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I seriously doubt that.  15 years ago you couldn’t find a Bama fan around here.  Now they’re everywhere.  Wonder why

45 years ago a whole family of them moved here from South Alabama. I can’t help it that so many East Texans want to emulate me. 

• LOL! 3

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

45 years ago a whole family of them moved here from South Alabama. I can’t help it that so many East Texans want to emulate me. 

20 years ago you appeared to be an LSU fan, maybe you were just acting like one to fit in.  

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

This is a fun idea. Here is the list of 4 star or 5 star Offensive Linemen who have committed to Texas in 2010-2016 classes who went on to be undrafted and were not even signed as a undrafted free agent.

Dominic Espinosa

Sedrick Flowers

Garrett Greenlea

Josh Cochran

Kennedy Estelle

Curtis Riser

Camrhon Hughes

Donald Hawkins

Darius James

Kent Perkins

Jake Raulerson

Rami Hammad

Patrick Vahe

Patrick Hudson

Jean Delance

JP Uriquidez

Here is the same list for Alabama during that time period.

Aaron Douglas (deceased)

Alphonse Taylor 

Grant Hill (quit to focus on track & field)

Joshua Casher

Richie Petitbon (transfer to Illinois)

Dallas Warmack (transfer to Oregon)

Brandon Kennedy (transfer to Tennessee)

Charles Baldwin (transfer to Kansas)

Scott Lashey (transfer portal)

So literally only two guys who actually played out their career at Alabama did not spend any time in the NFL at all.

Some of Texas’ worst years for player development and S&C.  I don’t recall many of those recruits being 5* OL recruits.

Texas is actually doing a good job developing the lower ranked guys they’re getting now, it would just speed up the rebuild by landing kids like the OT brockermeyer now.  

39 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

20 years ago you appeared to be an LSU fan, maybe you were just acting like one to fit in.  

Negative. I’ve never owned a single thread of LSU gear. I took a lot of 💩 in school for NOT being a LSU, A&M or UT fan. It’s all good though. The haters make me laugh.