🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

21 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

I'm looking and I see a bunch of unprovens.  I don't think it matters what dudes are in that room as long as the same coaches are coaching them up.  Riley takes everyone's leftovers in Norman and makes them Heisman winners. Herman so far has taken decent QBs absolutely nowhere. Time will tell I guess, but I'm not sure Herman is gonna get it done. 

Agree with this 100%

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

I'm looking and I see a bunch of unprovens.  I don't think it matters what dudes are in that room as long as the same coaches are coaching them up.  Riley takes everyone's leftovers in Norman and makes them Heisman winners. Herman so far has taken decent QBs absolutely nowhere. Time will tell I guess, but I'm not sure Herman is gonna get it done. 

Which Herman QBs are you referring to? And I guess all incoming freshmen are unproven, but I do think Card and Jackson proved their talent very well playing at the highest level of Texas high school football.

• Like 1

What are you talking about?

So far Herman has had 1 QB (Yes, Buechele started a few games too, while the two battled it out for the starters job). And that 1 QB has done pretty dang good. 

Ehlinger stats so far:

2nd most passing yards in a single season

2nd most passing yards in a career

2nd most passing TD's in a single season

2nd most passing TD's in a career

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

If it's because of Ewers, Bryce Young is going to be at Alabama for 3 years.  Oh well.

I don’t know. Who is the other QB in Texas’ class this year? The way some of these kids make decisions isn’t the best in the world. 

9 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

What are you talking about?

So far Herman has had 1 QB (Yes, Buechele started a few games too, while the two battled it out for the starters job). And that 1 QB has done pretty dang good. 

Ehlinger stats so far:

2nd most passing yards in a single season

2nd most passing yards in a career

2nd most passing TD's in a single season

2nd most passing TD's in a career

Ok, fantastic. Now who's in first place in those categories? Most likely McCoy, the only other UT starter to play in the spread. Most every other ut Qb in history was under center and handing it to Earl, Ricky, Cedric, etc...

Let's not pretend that Sam has beaten anyone when it counted. 

That said, he's a good player but in no way should anyone look at the UT QB room under Herman and get excited. At least not yet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lhornfan said:

So you don't know? There's only 3: Ehlinger, Thompson, and Johnson - who moved to RB because of injuries. Buechele transferred to SMU.

My original post was in response to someone singing the praises of the UT QB room. Doesn't matter what their names are yesterday, currently or tomorrow. Name the QB coached by Herman that scares defensive coordinators. 

I'll wait...

37 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Ok, fantastic. Now who's in first place in those categories? Most likely McCoy, the only other UT starter to play in the spread. Most every other ut Qb in history was under center and handing it to Earl, Ricky, Cedric, etc...

Let's not pretend that Sam has beaten anyone when it counted. 

That said, he's a good player but in no way should anyone look at the UT QB room under Herman and get excited. At least not yet. 

So who in college football would you take right now over Ehlinger outside of Fields or Lawrence?

5 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

So who in college football would you take right now over Ehlinger outside of Fields or Lawrence?

Not many, but I'm not saying he's the problem. I'd take Ehlinger at OU, USC, Clemson, Ark St, Minnesota, wash St/miss st over himself in Austin. 

1 hour ago, ComradeStoney said:

I don’t know. Who is the other QB in Texas’ class this year? The way some of these kids make decisions isn’t the best in the world. 

In the 21'?  Milroe is the only QB commit.  Texas did take 2 last year in Card and JQJ.

Early reviews on Card have been real good, was kinda on the thin side in HS but already at 200 lbs.

Next years starter will either be Casey Thompson or Card IMO.  If it's Card, I fully expect Thompson to transfer.

My original post was in response to someone singing the praises of the UT QB room. Doesn't matter what their names are yesterday, currently or tomorrow. Name the QB coached by Herman that scares defensive coordinators. 

I'll wait...

C'mon man. I get it. You're not a fan of Herman, but I can promise you Ehlinger is talked about at length during defensive game planning of the opposing team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

C'mon man. I get it. You're not a fan of Herman, but I can promise you Ehlinger is talked about at length during defensive game planning of the opposing team.

Obviously, as he is the starting QB. I just don't feel anyone is losing sleep about playing against him like they would against whoever Lincoln Riley is sending out there. 

38 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

In the 21'?  Milroe is the only QB commit.  Texas did take 2 last year in Card and JQJ.

Early reviews on Card have been real good, was kinda on the thin side in HS but already at 200 lbs.

Next years starter will either be Casey Thompson or Card IMO.  If it's Card, I fully expect Thompson to transfer.

Okay, I was thinking UT was taking two QBs this year. 

With the NCAA granting the waiver that all Srs can return next year even if the season is played in its entirety, who do you hope will come back for Texas?  I could see Kerstetter coming back to have 2 years of tape playing Center.  He was a top 5 Tackle returning as far as pass-pro goes.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

With the NCAA granting the waiver that all Srs can return next year even if the season is played in its entirety, who do you hope will come back for Texas?  I could see Kerstetter coming back to have 2 years of tape playing Center.  He was a top 5 Tackle returning as far as pass-pro goes.  

Texas only has 13 seniors this year with 2 of them sitting for COVID reasons (Bimage, Young). It would be awesome to get another year of Kerstetter, like you mentioned, but also Taqon Graham. A few others that could come back depending on how their season goes: Ehlinger, Jacoby Jones, Chris Brown, and Denzel Okafor. 

10 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas only has 13 seniors this year with 2 of them sitting for COVID reasons (Bimage, Young). It would be awesome to get another year of Kerstetter, like you mentioned, but also Taqon Graham. A few others that could come back depending on how their season goes: Ehlinger, Jacoby Jones, Chris Brown, and Denzel Okafor. 

I think Young will grad transfer.  

How will this affect the 85 limit?  Could get dicey with #'s.

I've read a few practice reports that Jones looks good rushing the passer.  He was a 4 * JUCO (rare for JUCO guys) and was wasted playing 4i.  I think we'll be surprised with him this year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I think Young will grad transfer.  

How will this affect the 85 limit?  Could get dicey with #'s.

I've read a few practice reports that Jones looks good rushing the passer.  He was a 4 * JUCO (rare for JUCO guys) and was wasted playing 4i.  I think we'll be surprised with him this year.

Heard they may expand 85 to 110 next year

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

seeing Ingram isn't going to be the starting RB on the 40 acres...not dependable enough

Guess things changed since Monday when they announced the depth chart for the UTEP game...........Ingram was listed as the starter Monday with Herman saying that the top 3 RBs are all going to play a lot. 

16 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Guess things changed since Monday when they announced the depth chart for the UTEP game...........Ingram was listed as the starter Monday with Herman saying that the top 3 RBs are all going to play a lot. 

hearing Johnson will be the main guy probably because he's been more explosive and less injury prone