🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

5 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I wouldn't say that yet. OU is definitely beatable and in that game, all bets are off. Lately Texas has played well. 

I didn't see the game today. Why'd Texas have trouble moving the ball? Did Ehlinger have a bad game?

Beatable is not the issue. It's all the mess we get into.

Interesting stats that popped up today.

Texas record under Tom Herman when trailing entering the 4th qtr: (1-11)
Texas, while ranked in the AP Top 25, has lost to unranked teams 6 times under Herman. More than any other FBS team during that time span. 

7 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I'll go along with that.

If he can't at the very least win a Big 12 championship next year, give him the boot. He's under contract through 2023 so that will take some cash. 

The problem is Herman can't have this team ready week to week. You give him some time, he can beat anyone. (3-0) in bowl games. But there just isn't an excuse for this team looking as bad as they do at this point, and still losing to the teams we have lost to. Realistically we should be (1-2), and Herman would be 2-2 against TTU. 

The culture at Texas has gotten soft, Texas has been soft ever since 2010, that's when Mack Brown and his recruiting got soft and it hasn't changed since, that's what got Mack the boot, something is wrong at Texas that makes these guys think that their better than what they are, too much undeserving hype for doing nothing, until Texas can find a coach that can change the softness and get Texas back to being a 10 win and better ever yr team, they will remain just mediocre. 

2 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

The culture at Texas has gotten soft, Texas has been soft ever since 2010, that's when Mack Brown and his recruiting got soft and it hasn't changed since, that's what got Mack the boot, something is wrong at Texas that makes these guys think that their better than what they are, too much undeserving hype for doing nothing, until Texas can find a coach that can change the softness and get Texas back to being a 10 win and better ever yr team, they will remain just mediocre. 

I don’t even think it’s the guys thinking they are better than what they are. We saw that from 2013-2016, I feel like. 

Now, to me it looks like a team that has ZERO identity. They don’t know know who they are, or who they represent. They are trending down to the where Nebraska currently sits. A pastime powerhouse that can only hang their hat on a championship that happened 15 years ago. 

It sounds aggressive and dramatic, but it’s true. 

12 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

I'm truly not trying to troll here, but you're joking right? I mean it doesn't take but 10 minutes viewing a texas messageboard and/or campus to figure out why the culture is soft and entitled. The Texas fan base (mainly because Texans in general are this way) is an extremely arrogant fan base. The fan base is arrogant and the school is so liberal it might as well be University of Southern California Austin. These issues are making the culture at Texas different than what it needs to be to get them back to elite. Despite all the hype Charlie strong got for attempting to come in and change the culture, its still the same as the day mack left and never changed. This isn't helped by the fact that any time texas strings more than 2 wins together the media wants to crown them the darkhorse favorite for the playoffs has created a hype and culture that texas just cannot possibly live up to in its current state. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I'm truly not trying to troll here, but you're joking right? I mean it doesn't take but 10 minutes viewing a texas messageboard and/or campus to figure out why the culture is soft and entitled. The Texas fan base (mainly because Texans in general are this way) is an extremely arrogant fan base. The fan base is arrogant and the school is so liberal it might as well be University of Southern California Austin. These issues are making the culture at Texas different than what it needs to be to get them back to elite. Despite all the hype Charlie strong got for attempting to come in and change the culture, its still the same as the day mack left and never changed. This isn't helped by the fact that any time texas strings more than 2 wins together the media wants to crown them the darkhorse favorite for the playoffs has created a hype and culture that texas just cannot possibly live up to in its current state. 

Agreed. We need a coach to come in and quite coddling the players. A coach who’ll hold players accountable.

Herman kisses them all and that’s ok in some situations to be encouraging and uplifting, but sometimes you have to chew some rump.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Agreed. We need a coach to come in and quite coddling the players. A coach who’ll hold players accountable.

Herman kisses them all and that’s ok in some situations to be encouraging and uplifting, but sometimes you have to chew some rump.

There are very coaches like that left unfortunately. The new culture of the world has made guys like that and far between. 

15 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Tcu really seems to have Texas Number. K state has been a thorn but those frogs are something else.

Surprisingly Herman is 3-0 against K-State.  Maybe that K-State voodoo has now been put on OU.  Snyder to Texas is now Klieman to OU.

• Thanks 1

Texas is frustrating to watch.  I have gotten to a point where it is excruciating to watch the Horns play.  I would enjoy watching them if I knew that they had no chance at all to win and I would enjoy watching them if a win was a no brainer.  But to sit and watch them game in and game out knowing that just one or two plays determine a game is stressful.  They have the overall talent but something always happens.

I was really hoping that Herman was going to be the guy but he does not seem to be so.  I just want consistency and it is simply not there.  All schools go through down times and Texas is sort of in that period now.  However, if you look at their overall record it is not entirely out of the norm.  Too many people have "recent" memory of the Vince and Colt years.  While enjoyable, it was way too quick.  As a Longhorn alum and fan I have suffered more that I have celebrated it seems though there has been one National Championship and and two near misses ('83 and '09).  I was too young in the late '60's and early '70's to care!

How to find sustainability?  Who is going to be the next Saban?  Is it Sweeney?  Do you sell your soul and go with Urban?  If not these three then who?  The person is out there but at this time it is unknown.  Unfortunately time is an enemy when looking for that person.

Lastly, UT-Austin is not driven to win football games like Alabama and some other schools are.  Sports is not UT's focus or identity as a school.  The demographics have changed and will continue to do so as the academic standards are high and will continue to be so so the kids being admitted to the school really are not so focused on sports (football).  They are there for a world-class education.  This will only get worse over time IMO.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

How to find sustainability?  Who is going to be the next Saban?  Is it Sweeney?  Do you sell your soul and go with Urban?  If not these three then who?  The person is out there but at this time it is unknown.  Unfortunately time is an enemy when looking for that person.

Unfortunately, I don't think Herman, or really any coach for that matter, will get replaced after this season.  Everyone is going to suffer a loss money wise in schools/athletic departments.

I'm for Urban, but unfortunately I'm not sure if that would happen.

I think Gus Malzhan would kill it at Texas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I was really hoping that Herman was going to be the guy but he does not seem to be so.  I just want consistency and it is simply not there.  All schools go through down times and Texas is sort of in that period now.  However, if you look at their overall record it is not entirely out of the norm.  Too many people have "recent" memory of the Vince and Colt years.  While enjoyable, it was way too quick.  As a Longhorn alum and fan I have suffered more that I have celebrated it seems though there has been one National Championship and and two near misses ('83 and '09).  I was too young in the late '60's and early '70's to care!

This hits the nail on the head so square it went straight through. Texas fans think the run that mack had is their normal but that's not true. And there lies the problem with the arrogance I spoke of. Texas thinks that they will get back to those mack days like thats the normal and this is a down period, when really this isn't far from the normal while mack had their peak period. They won't a few more conference titles in the SWC days than the have in the big 12 days, but that's time be expected with OU now a conference opponent. 

I think the culture fix isn't just a team one, but a fan one as well. Fans contribute to this culture as much as the team/coaches do. The minute texas fans humble themselves and accept they have a fight on their hands to get back to Mack days and it won't just happen because "we're Texas" they will start to get there. But a hardnosed coach isnt the only thing needing to be fixed in order for these kids to change the culture of the university and its football team. 

2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Unfortunately, I don't think Herman, or really any coach for that matter, will get replaced after this season.  Everyone is going to suffer a loss money wise in schools/athletic departments.

I took think Gus would be amazing. Texas high school football is literally perfect for his system. 

16 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Texas is frustrating to watch.  I have gotten to a point where it is excruciating to watch the Horns play.  I would enjoy watching them if I knew that they had no chance at all to win and I would enjoy watching them if a win was a no brainer.  But to sit and watch them game in and game out knowing that just one or two plays determine a game is stressful.  They have the overall talent but something always happens.

Lastly, UT-Austin is not driven to win football games like Alabama and some other schools are.  Sports is not UT's focus or identity as a school.  The demographics have changed and will continue to do so as the academic standards are high and will continue to be so so the kids being admitted to the school really are not so focused on sports (football).  They are there for a world-class education.  This will only get worse over time IMO.

THIS.

I actually had to go back and look, just in hopes that mediocrity was not the normal at Texas over the course of their history. Maybe not mediocrity, because they're actually above average, but lack of relevance in the national scene I still consider to be mediocrity.

Records by decade:
1890s - (36-8-1) (.800)
1900s - (59-23-4) (.711)
1910s - (65-18) (.783)
1920s - (64-18-7) (.719)
1930s - (47-44-6) (.445)
1940s - (78-21-5) (.750)
1950s - (64-38-2) (.615)
1960s - (86-19-3) (.796)
1970s - (88-31-1) (.733)
1980s - (73-42-2) (.624)
1990s - (74-44-2) (.617)
2000s - (110-19) (.853)
2010s - (71-52) (.578)

So the truth is, we're actually sub-par to what we are normally. So that Mack years were impressive, yes. I actually grew up during the Mack years, so that's a normalcy for me. I have never known Texas to be terrible until after I graduated high school. This past decade of football has been historically bad, the 2nd worst decade in history. Herman's record (27-16 | .628) is worse than our average (.692), even if you take the Mack Brown era out, our average is still (.678).

So rightfully so, Texas fans are not happy with what's going on. It's not WAY out of kilter, but the fact of the matter is, Texas hasn't won a Big 12 championship since 2009. They've only won 3 in 24 seasons in the Big 12 (.111). They won 27 in the SWC (.338). 

This isn't normal. This isn't average. Better coaches have been fired for less. I will say that Herman probably needs another year, maybe even 2. Darrel K. Royal didn't really hit his stride until his 5th season. Mack Brown hit his a little earlier, and would have been been more legendary than he already is if he hadn't succumbed to the pressure and started Simms over Applewhite (worst decision he ever made in my eyes). 

Also things that make the situation a little different - Mack took over a team that had actually had winnings seasons. Even under Machovic they were (30-18-1) with 3 bowl appearances in those previous 4 years. Texas was (24-26) with 2 embarrassing bowl losses, and 2 straight years of missing a bowl game prior to Herman taking the reigns.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I actually had to go back and look, just in hopes that mediocrity was not the normal at Texas over the course of their history. Maybe not mediocrity, because they're actually above average, but lack of relevance in the national scene I still consider to be mediocrity.

Records by decade:
1890s - (36-8-1) (.800)
1900s - (59-23-4) (.711)
1910s - (65-18) (.783)
1920s - (64-18-7) (.719)
1930s - (47-44-6) (.445)
1940s - (78-21-5) (.750)
1950s - (64-38-2) (.615)
1960s - (86-19-3) (.796)
1970s - (88-31-1) (.733)
1980s - (73-42-2) (.624)
1990s - (74-44-2) (.617)
2000s - (110-19) (.853)
2010s - (71-52) (.578)

So the truth is, we're actually sub-par to what we are normally. So that Mack years were impressive, yes. I actually grew up during the Mack years, so that's a normalcy for me. I have never known Texas to be terrible until after I graduated high school. This past decade of football has been historically bad, the 2nd worst decade in history. Herman's record (27-16 | .628) is worse than our average (.692), even if you take the Mack Brown era out, our average is still (.678).

So rightfully so, Texas fans are not happy with what's going on. It's not WAY out of kilter, but the fact of the matter is, Texas hasn't won a Big 12 championship since 2009. They've only won 3 in 24 seasons in the Big 12 (.111). They won 27 in the SWC (.338). 

This isn't normal. This isn't average. Better coaches have been fired for less. I will say that Herman probably needs another year, maybe even 2. Darrel K. Royal didn't really hit his stride until his 5th season. Mack Brown hit his a little earlier, and would have been been more legendary than he already is if he hadn't succumbed to the pressure and started Simms over Applewhite (worst decision he ever made in my eyes). 

Also things that make the situation a little different - Mack took over a team that had actually had winnings seasons. Even under Machovic they were (30-18-1) with 3 bowl appearances in those previous 4 years. Texas was (24-26) with 2 embarrassing bowl losses, and 2 straight years of missing a bowl game prior to Herman taking the reigns.

There are so many ways to look at records.  If you use the "decades" metric it can be deceiving as one or two strong years can offset a decade of mediocracy.

The entire time (1984 thru 1988) I was on the 40 Acres I considered Texas football to be poor.

My freshman year Texas was ranked number 1 until they tied OU in the Texas/OU game after narrowly missing out on the NC in 1983 on a botched punt return that should have never been fielded.  From there it was a downward slide until 1990 (blip) then it was bad again.  From '98 thru '09 Texas won no less 9 games per year. 2001 thru 2009 the minimum was 10 with a NC thrown in there too.

Year     Wins

1999 9
1998 9
1997 4
1996 8
1995 10
1994 8
1993 5
1992 6
1991 5
1990 10
1989 5
1988 4
1987 7
1986 5
1985 8
1984 7
1983 11
1982 9
1981 10
1980 7

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Records by decade:
1890s - (36-8-1) (.800)
1900s - (59-23-4) (.711)
1910s - (65-18) (.783)
1920s - (64-18-7) (.719)
1930s - (47-44-6) (.445)
1940s - (78-21-5) (.750)
1950s - (64-38-2) (.615)
1960s - (86-19-3) (.796)
1970s - (88-31-1) (.733)
1980s - (73-42-2) (.624)
1990s - (74-44-2) (.617)
2000s - (110-19) (.853)
2010s - (71-52) (.578)

The difference is OU being in the same conference. That's what has lowered their conference title numbers. If the big 12 never forms than Texas likely has the same conference title win ratio that they had before. But looking at winning percentage is not the way to really view this IMO. Conference titles are the measure of sucess Texas fans need strive for. Trophies are the only thing that matters. There's not much difference in a 10 win team and an 8 win team if a trophy isn't involved. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

The difference is OU being in the same conference. That's what has lowered their conference title numbers. If the big 12 never forms than Texas likely has the same conference title win ratio that they had before. But looking at winning percentage is not the way to really view this IMO. Conference titles are the measure of sucess Texas fans need strive for. Trophies are the only thing that matters. There's not much difference in a 10 win team and an 8 win team if a trophy isn't involved. 

Yeah well spin it and tell that same story to OU. 13/24.

8 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

13 championships in 24 years. 

Thats and extremely high hit rate. You tell coaches they will win a conference title at least every other year and they will take it. Does anyone else have that many over that span? Maybe ohio st? 

12 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Thats and extremely high hit rate. You tell coaches they will win a conference title at least every other year and they will take it. Does anyone else have that many over that span? Maybe ohio st? 

It's weird how the Big 10 does it. They have outright and shared conference championships. 

On 10/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, Red90fly said:

I would probably sell the Horn's soul to bring in Urban for 10 years...of course if you got 7 to 10 years...you may have a couple new titles then have to wash the place down unfortunately.

Gus...no...doesn't have enough to his whole coaching thing...he has been up and WAY down down inconsistent at Auburn.