🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

1 minute ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I would probably sell the Horn's soul to bring in Urban for 10 years...of course if you got 7 to 10 years...you may have a couple new titles then have to wash the place down unfortunately.

Gus...no...doesn't have enough to his whole coaching thing...he has been up and WAY down down inconsistent at Auburn. 

might have a better bet in taking that wild shot with a Jeff Traylor on the rise there at UTSA and let him recruit and take down giants

33 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

might have a better bet in taking that wild shot with a Jeff Traylor on the rise there at UTSA and let him recruit and take down giants

You absolutely can not take another shot on a lower tiered college coach if you are Texas.  You’ve already screwed that up twice

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Might sound farfetched, but Bill O'Brien would be a good option for Texas if they can Herman.

They need stability. Bill at least brings discipline and he was downright amazing at Penn st considering where they were at. Herman at Texas is like Sumlin at A&M.  Honestly I believe Herman keeps his job and possibly runs the table with a possible Baylor loss. 

Baylor?  🤣😂🤣😂

20 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

You absolutely can not take another shot on a lower tiered college coach if you are Texas.  You’ve already screwed that up twice

Exactly.  That’s why it’s got to be Urban and then a short list for 2nd.

I keep seeing Malzahn being mentioned and don’t understand the praise for him yet.  His best teams have been with extremely good qb play.  If he doesn’t have a great Qb his offense seems to be average.  I’m looking for someone that could adjust to the talent he inherits.  Tom hasn’t done that in my book and it’s the reason we haven’t pushed through the ceiling.  Trying to be physical with an OL that is low ceiling just doesn’t cut it.  Then other top rated OL keep avoiding Texas.  A coach has to be able to mask his teams weaknesses, Herman seems to accentuate his
Maybe Texas needs to find a great defensive coach that is willing to turn his offense over to a great offensive mind

15 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Exactly.  That’s why it’s got to be Urban and then a short list for 2nd.

I keep seeing Malzahn being mentioned and don’t understand the praise for him yet.  His best teams have been with extremely good qb play.  If he doesn’t have a great Qb his offense seems to be average.  I’m looking for someone that could adjust to the talent he inherits.  Tom hasn’t done that in my book and it’s the reason we haven’t pushed through the ceiling.  Trying to be physical with an OL that is low ceiling just doesn’t cut it.  Then other top rated OL keep avoiding Texas.  A coach has to be able to mask his teams weaknesses, Herman seems to accentuate his
Maybe Texas needs to find a great defensive coach that is willing to turn his offense over to a great offensive mind

That statement describes every coach in the country besides maybe Saban, and even he has evolved the QB position on his team.

23 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That statement describes every coach in the country besides maybe Saban, and even he has evolved the QB position on his team.

I think to expand on his point, Malzhan has down years... like seasons that feel like 7-5 until he scores a Cam Newton type QB.  It is almost like he builds his team for that 1 big year every 3-4 years...  Which is also what it feels like to be an LSU fan this year... 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

You don’t think Riley adjusts to the talent he has?  I think that’s what makes him so good.  He leans on the run game when he has it, when he doesn’t he leans on the passing game.  I think Saban’s issue was control.  When he started giving OC’s the reign to open the offense up you started seeing more production.  Saban was always about defensive dominance and control with his offense.  

57 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I think to expand on his point, Malzhan has down years... like seasons that feel like 7-5 until he scores a Cam Newton type QB.  It is almost like he builds his team for that 1 big year every 3-4 years...  Which is also what it feels like to be an LSU fan this year... 

or maybe he doesn’t adjust his offense to fit a less athletic qb?  Some coaches just don’t know how or aren’t good at it.  

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Might sound farfetched, but Bill O'Brien would be a good option for Texas if they can Herman.

They need stability. Bill at least brings discipline and he was downright amazing at Penn st considering where they were at. Herman at Texas is like Sumlin at A&M.  

I've said before that UT needs a "Mack Brown type" of guy to be successful. There's so much politics involved with the job. It's not enough to be a "mastermind" like Tom Herman. In order to be effective at UT you've gotta be an excellent glad-hander. It's less important to be an X's and O's guy as much as you need a dynamic CEO personality. You've gotta schmooze with the big donors and university regents, but also appeal to the small-town coaches and inner-city mamas, THEN be a sharp enough eye for talent that you can hire talented young assistants to actually run the offense and defense. 

Urban's track record certainly speaks for itself, but I really don't think he'd be able to navigate the particular culture of UT. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 10:09 AM, MavGrad99 said:

That used to be the norm. Every 3 or 4 years you’d make a run for a NC. I’d take that in a heartbeat. What Bama and Clemson has done is the exception, not the rule. 

I’ve been sitting here thinking this morning.  I know that can be dangerous sometimes but here goes.

tom Herman is a good coach.  He’s not elite, but he has the opportunity to be elite if he can make the right decisions moving forward.  

offensively, this offense still looks to want to be Ohio state.  It is a good offense, but has glaring weaknesses.  Sitting atop the leaderboard for points and top 15 in most categories, it is pretty good statistically.  The issues are the predictability in the run game.  Hearem’ and I discussed this last year.  Certain RB get certain plays that are to their strengths.  Also the blocking schemes are easily identified.  I can see the snap and know where the ball is going on the ground due to the initial movement of the OL.   Imagine a highly paid DC can pick that up on film?  Sure.  If you’re going to be that deliberate in the run game and try to outphysical opponents, you need OL that can do it, not project guys who need 3-4 years of development.  

defensively, I think we should temper our expectations in the Big12.  Yes the game against Tech was ugly, but I feel Tech will be one of the top offenses in the country this year.  Too much was made of their game against HBU.  They had over 100 yds of penalties and gave HBU twice as many possessions as they should’ve had.  Bowman is a legit qb.  Against TCU, Patterson is the X factor.  Gary Patterson is one of the best defensive minds in college football.  His offense isn’t awful either.  The front got pressure on Duggan several times.  

special teams is Cameron Dicker.  The rest of it has been putrid aside from a couple of Jameson’ returns.  The center front line man should never allow a short onside kick with his back turned.  That’s a lack of awareness.  Most of the issues in special teams have been blown assignments, fixable stuff.  

herman needs to adjust the offense to more short quick passes to extend the run game and get the safeties and LB drawn back.   In Time I think this would result in a more dominant offense, even though they’re already statistically pretty good.  

the decision Herman has to make are minor adjustments.  If he can make them he’ll help himself.  If he doesn’t, then his pride will cost him his dream job.  

just my thoughts 

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I’ve been sitting here thinking this morning.  I know that can be dangerous sometimes but here goes.

tom Herman is a good coach.  He’s not elite, but he has the opportunity to be elite if he can make the right decisions moving forward.  

offensively, this offense still looks to want to be Ohio state.  It is a good offense, but has glaring weaknesses.  Sitting atop the leaderboard for points and top 15 in most categories, it is pretty good statistically.  The issues are the predictability in the run game.  Hearem’ and I discussed this last year.  Certain RB get certain plays that are to their strengths.  Also the blocking schemes are easily identified.  I can see the snap and know where the ball is going on the ground due to the initial movement of the OL.   Imagine a highly paid DC can pick that up on film?  Sure.  If you’re going to be that deliberate in the run game and try to outphysical opponents, you need OL that can do it, not project guys who need 3-4 years of development.  

defensively, I think we should temper our expectations in the Big12.  Yes the game against Tech was ugly, but I feel Tech will be one of the top offenses in the country this year.  Too much was made of their game against HBU.  They had over 100 yds of penalties and gave HBU twice as many possessions as they should’ve had.  Bowman is a legit qb.  Against TCU, Patterson is the X factor.  Gary Patterson is one of the best defensive minds in college football.  His offense isn’t awful either.  The front got pressure on Duggan several times.  

special teams is Cameron Dicker.  The rest of it has been putrid aside from a couple of Jameson’ returns.  The center front line man should never allow a short onside kick with his back turned.  That’s a lack of awareness.  Most of the issues in special teams have been blown assignments, fixable stuff.  

herman needs to adjust the offense to more short quick passes to extend the run game and get the safeties and LB drawn back.   In Time I think this would result in a more dominant offense, even though they’re already statistically pretty good.  

the decision Herman has to make are minor adjustments.  If he can make them he’ll help himself.  If he doesn’t, then his pride will cost him his dream job.  

just my thoughts 

More than half of Tech's team didn't play against HBU. That's why they almost lost that game. Bowman isn't a bad QB by any means.

My quick summary of this team is that they have to get their heads out of their butts in some instances during the game, including the coaching staff. I will never understand why they rushed to score against TCU on the 2 yard line with 1st and goal with 2 + minutes left. That's what frustrates me the most. Herman said his thought was "if we don't get it the first time we will then take our time and run the clock out." What?? There was no need to up tempo 1st and goal on the 2 with 2 minutes left down by 4. I was baffled. The dropped passes, stupid penalties, if the team just focused, those would be fixed. But it starts at the top. I want Herman to be successful. I really do. I know a lot people don't like him, but I'm rooting for him. I don't want to keep going through the cycle of a new coach every 4 years. 

41 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

More than half of Tech's team didn't play against HBU. That's why they almost lost that game. Bowman isn't a bad QB by any means.

My quick summary of this team is that they have to get their heads out of their butts in some instances during the game, including the coaching staff. I will never understand why they rushed to score against TCU on the 2 yard line with 1st and goal with 2 + minutes left. That's what frustrates me the most. Herman said his thought was "if we don't get it the first time we will then take our time and run the clock out." What?? There was no need to up tempo 1st and goal on the 2 with 2 minutes left down by 4. I was baffled. The dropped passes, stupid penalties, if the team just focused, those would be fixed. But it starts at the top. I want Herman to be successful. I really do. I know a lot people don't like him, but I'm rooting for him. I don't want to keep going through the cycle of a new coach every 4 years. 

If I recall correctly there was still about 20 seconds on the play clock when the ball was snapped on Ingram’s fumble play.

I just want to see a sound well coached defense go out and play and I can live with the results. Alignment and gap integrity issues have got to stop. Texas has good enough players on defense if they line up correctly and run to the ball and tackle they would be pretty good. Get a base defense stay in it , stunt if you have to. Bring in a DB for a Lb in Nickle sometimes but stay in pretty much close to you base defense so they are not so confuse and can use their athletic ability to run to the ball. If you ever watch Alabama or Clemson play they may do exotic stunts or go nickle with a db in and a lb out but they don't switch in and out of a lot of fronts. Sometimes less is more.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:09 AM, MavGrad99 said:

There's also a big difference in losing 4-5 games in a down year and 3 of them being to bama, lsu, Georgia. Gus has his issues but the sec west plus georgia every year is brutal. Its not the same as Herman losing to TCU Baylor and OSU in a season in my opinion. There's literally no excuse for texas to be less than 10-2 even on down years. Gus would be a huge improvement over Herman in my opinion. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Yeah he wants to play offense and Texas wants him at nickel/safety.  This was always going to be a possibility, plus his gf plays softball at OU. 

Before it's all said and done we might need him at DB too. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Texas HAS to win for the Big XII to have any chance at relevancy this year. Oklahoma wins and the Big XII is a walking joke for the remainder of the season...

Maybe that means UT won’t get screwed by the refs like they usually do when playing OU.

• LOL! 1

Get rid of Pee Wee Herman and hire Todd Dodge......he has UT roots and will do the Horns much better.......end of story.  He will also be able to get all the top recruits in Texas to actually consider Texas and to not back out on their verbals.  I wasn't ever sold on Herman and I'm still not.  

• Like 1