🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

17 hours ago, Bulldognation1 said:

How many others were screaming for two & go for the win in regulation?!  OU was in shock & were reeling & Texas had all the momentum at that point! You just knew that if this game went to OT, that eventually this team would find a way to make 1 less play than OU.

There's absolutely no way I wouldn't go for 2 in double overtime. 

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

I will agree he gave them giant boost in the recruiting department, but his first two classes ('13&'14) ended up with 9 players each making NFL rosters. 

Longhorns have had 5 NFL'ers in the last two classes. 

I don't think Urban would be up to the rebuild that Austin is gonna require. 

If I'm being totally honest, I think the reason the Longhorns produce a lower number of NFL prospects isn't due to talent. It's due to lack of development. Texas has some wicked talent, but they never develop. You never see a lot of development at really any position. The kids that make it to the NFL were already outstanding talents anyways.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

If I'm being totally honest, I think the reason the Longhorns produce a lower number of NFL prospects isn't due to talent. It's due to lack of development. Texas has some wicked talent, but they never develop. You never see a lot of development at really any position. The kids that make it to the NFL were already outstanding talents anyways.

I agree completely. I think once that snowball gets rolling it's difficult to turn around. I also see it as the chicken or egg debate. It doesn't matter which came first, poor recruiting or not developing talent, either way it makes it hard to win consistently.

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

I've heard money was a factor believe it or not. Which is understandable as most schools are cutting back right now. Herman will be in austin another year i think. 

Unless Jimbo has a big season. Nothing motivates Texas boosters like little brother doing well. 

I dont think this is correct. When is the last time little brother did really well? 1 year with Johnny Football. This year will be no different for the Aggies. If you think Texas boosters coming up with the money to get rid of peewee is an issue, you are crazy and wishful thinking on your part. That wont be a problem. Btw, if Jimbo doesn't do any better the next couple of years, I dont see the Aggie boosters having any trouble paying his buyout. Money will not be an issue....

5 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Okay so seriously Texas fans, name five candidates who are not Urban Meyer that you would be happy with.

I've got three that I like not counting Urban Meyer.

Matt Campbell

Luke Fickell

Chris Peterson

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trashyhound said:

He's not coming to Texas. Last two jobs he's taken were both loaded with NFL caliber talent. Texas doesn't have that to offer. When he can basically name his job why would he take on such a rebuild? He's not Matt Rule, rebuilding isn't what he does. 

Texas has top 10 recruiting classes almost every year. Are all the recruiting experts wrong? Heck no. Peewee with only 2 years of Head coaching experience in his life before the Texas job and cant develop these 4 and 5 star kids. They put up a graphic in the game yesterday that showed Texas had 53  4 or 5 star kids on the sidelines yesterday. Other than Bama how many more programs have more talent than that? I'll wait for your answer....What other opening would be bigger than Texas this upcoming offseason. I'll wait for your answer in that as well...

2 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Texas has top 10 recruiting classes almost every year. Are all the recruiting experts wrong? Heck no. Peewee with only 2 years of Head coaching experience in his life before the Texas job and cant develop these 4 and 5 star kids. They put up a graphic in the game yesterday that showed Texas had 53  4 or 5 star kids on the sidelines yesterday. Other than Bama how many more programs have more talent than that? I'll wait for your answer....What other opening would be bigger than Texas this upcoming offseason. I'll wait for your answer in that as well...

I don't care what their stars say outta high school. There are dominate 3 stars and awful 5 stars.

Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, all recruit better than Texas, and the list is longer than that.

It's not that there is a bigger opening, just that I don't think he would want the headache that is UT. Outside of Utah he had walked into loaded, talented teams. 

What kid on UT's roster scares their opponents? 

Their legend QB isn't anywhere close to Vince or Colt. They don't have an Earl, Ricky or Cedric to hand it to, they don't have a R. Williams, Shipley or Sweed to throw it to, they don't have a Orakpo, E. Thomas, Vasher, Jammer to stop anyone. Their O-line has nobody that scares anyone. 

See it how you want, but they do not have any studs on that team. 

Adrian Peterson played on some below average OU teams, but nobody "developed" that guy. God developed him in the womb just as he did the others I listed. Texas doesn't have those dudes. 

Btw, thanks for "waiting for my answers", so polite of you! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I will agree he gave them giant boost in the recruiting department, but his first two classes ('13&'14) ended up with 9 players each making NFL rosters. 

Longhorns have had 5 NFL'ers in the last two classes. 

I don't think Urban would be up to the rebuild that Austin is gonna require. 

This. 

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think Urban is the right "cultural" fit at UT. Ohio State, Florida, and Utah were more than happy to let him run the show. But that's not the case in Austin. He would have to be MUCH more of a politician than he's ever been, and it's really not his strong suit. But as a Sooner alum, I'd welcome it.

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

Matt Campbell
Luke Fickell
Chris Peterson

Peterson is a pipe dream, he'll never leave the Pacific Northwest. 

Campbell or Fickell would be Herman 2.0. 

I say go big...  make Dabo an offer he can't refuse. 

35 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

I don't care what their stars say outta high school. There are dominate 3 stars and awful 5 stars.

Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, all recruit better than Texas, and the list is longer than that.

It's not that there is a bigger opening, just that I don't think he would want the headache that is UT. Outside of Utah he had walked into loaded, talented teams. 

Their legend QB isn't anywhere close to Vince or Colt. They don't have an Earl, Ricky or Cedric to hand it to, they don't have a R. Williams, Shipley or Sweed to throw it to, they don't have a Orakpo, E. Thomas, Vasher, Jammer to stop anyone. Their O-line has nobody that scares anyone. 

Adrian Peterson played on some below average OU teams, but nobody "developed" that guy. God developed him in the womb just as he did the others I listed. Texas doesn't have those dudes. 

I disagree with your premise that there are no studs on Texas’ roster. They may not have the inherent passion that Sam has but to say they are not exceptional football players is a stretch. Being a head coach is more than teaching fundamentals, techniques, X’s And O’s, you must also foster the killer instincts that supplements all of the rest. Herman lacks both. He is not teaching nor is he developing an attitude with his players. The latent talent is there it is just not being utilized or even tapped into save some God-given exceptions.

I think the political environment at Texas is being overplayed by those that are saying so and so will not come because of the politics.  While it does take some hand grabbing and fake pats on the back I see that being less of an issue; 10 to 15 years ago, yes, but not today.

The boosters that demanded that type of involvement are literally dying off.  They were all there during the SWC days of winning.  A different era of football and life.  The remnant of them were present during the Mack years.  The new boosters are those that remember the Vince and Colt years.  Today's business is brisk and heartless.  If you are not getting it done then you are out.  Money is no deterrent.  The goal is to win no matter how.

Case in point, Joe Jamail, was a mega-donor that had a voice in the inner workings.  He has since passed.  HIs family recently relinquished the name of the field.  They get it.  They understand the importance of giving their money to the cause as long as there are results.  No results?  You are out and the next person is up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I think the political environment at Texas is being overplayed by those that are saying so and so will not come because of the politics.  While it does take some hand grabbing and fake pats on the back I see that being less of an issue; 10 to 15 years ago, yes, but not today.

The boosters that demanded that type of involvement are literally dying off.  They were all there during the SWC days of winning.  A different era of football and life.  The remnant of them were present during the Mack years.  The new boosters are those that remember the Vince and Colt years.  Today's business is brisk and heartless.  If you are not getting it done then you are out.  Money is no deterrent.  The goal is to win no matter how.

Case in point, Joe Jamail, was a mega-donor that had a voice in the inner workings.  He has since passed.  HIs family recently relinquished the name of the field.  They get it.  They understand the importance of giving their money to the cause as long as there are results.  No results?  You are out and the next person is up.

Point taken. I don't pretend to know the nuances of UT's inner workings, merely perception. 

Still, I'd be surprised to see Urban take that gig at this point in his career. 

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I disagree with your premise that there are no studs on Texas’ roster. They may not have the inherent passion that Sam has but to say they are not exceptional football players is a stretch. Being a head coach is more than teaching fundamentals, techniques, X’s And O’s, you must also foster the killer instincts that supplements all of the rest. Herman lacks both. He is not teaching nor is he developing an attitude with his players. The latent talent is there it is just not being utilized or even tapped into save some God-given exceptions.

The NFL draft agrees with me.

2 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Sam Cosmi is a top LT and expected to be Top 15 in the draft. Joseph Ossai is pretty dang special on defense. He'll play on Sundays. Caden Sterns was special as a freshmen, but he has been continuously battling injury the last year and a half. I agree with you at WR. Eagles has been a disappointment IMO. He should be using his size to take over these smaller DBs.

No doubt that these guys aren't developing like many think they should. I've witnessed more than a few of their off season workouts, and they are busting their tales getting stronger and faster. I think there's too much thinking going on - especially in the secondary. We lineup in a soft man look and run to a cover 3 look at the snap. According to the offensive play, we could have three players going to wrong way immediately. Ash coaches the safeties, and he plays a ton of over the top safeties. I personally think he's just covering his butt. Let these 4 and 5 star players play! We are too dang smart for our own good.

3 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I dont think this is correct. When is the last time little brother did really well? 1 year with Johnny Football. This year will be no different for the Aggies. If you think Texas boosters coming up with the money to get rid of peewee is an issue, you are crazy and wishful thinking on your part. That wont be a problem. Btw, if Jimbo doesn't do any better the next couple of years, I dont see the Aggie boosters having any trouble paying his buyout. Money will not be an issue....

See mack brown hire.

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

The NFL draft agrees with me.

Coaching makes average players good and good players great. Texas is lacking player development which leads to draft picks. The talent is on the 40 Acres it is just not being coached up.

Do not just look at draft picks. Look at the Texas players that are in the NFL and are contributors that were UDFA’s. To me, that screams lack of coaching at the collegiate level.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Coaching makes average players good and good players great. Texas is lacking player development which leads to draft picks. The talent is on the 40 Acres it is just not being coached up.

Do not just look at draft picks. Look at the Texas players that are in the NFL and are contributors that were UDFA’s. To me, that screams lack of coaching at the collegiate level.

I agree, but I just don't think talent or development is there. They have some talent I just don't see the elite dudes they used to get. One or the other is ok but both us where the magic happens like Clemson, Bama, OSU, etc.

I see a lot of tweets that blame Sam for being behind, or say that he's just a glorified fullback.

My honest take on Texas' issues is that they try too hard to not use Sam. They try not to let him use his feet. They try not to let him run. When they start to panic and realize that the game plan isn't working, they use him. They completely rely on him. It's not until late that you start to see things you don't see normally. "Oh wow, Sam has heart. He's putting the entire team on his back." That's because he has to at this point because the coaches have put them in that situation. Now they're telling him "If you see daylight, take off." 

They have wasted his senior season (barring he chooses not to come back), because they want a traditional QB and that's something he's not. He's not the most accurate passer. His deep ball is not very good. He's scrappy, big, mobile, and can throw a catchable ball. Let the kid use his weapons during the entire game. I honestly feel like Texas holds him back. 

18 hours ago, LOL said:

I concur. I've never been impressed with his mechanics, but the kid plays with his heart. Herman has utterly wasted him. 

I wouldn’t say wasted... but he has made him the offense instead of using his skills to make everyone else around him better.  Ehlinger is a lot like Tebow.  Decent passer, hard runner, does not have explosive speed or agility, but enough to make people underestimate him.

• Like 1