๐ŸŸ  Longhorns 2020 thread

On 10/11/2020 at 9:27 AM, trashyhound said:

He's not coming to Texas. Last two jobs he's taken were both loaded with NFL caliber talent. Texas doesn't have that to offer. When he can basically name his job why would he take on such a rebuild? He's not Matt Rule, rebuilding isn't what he does.ย 

ย 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:35 AM, trashyhound said:

He kept it there, but they had dudes the day he walked in the door

ย 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, trashyhound said:

I will agree he gave them giant boost in the recruiting department, but his first two classes ('13&'14) ended up with 9 players each making NFL rosters.ย 

Longhorns have had 5 NFL'ers in the last two classes.ย 

I don't think Urban would be up to the rebuild that Austin is gonna require.ย 

ย 

On 10/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, H3llR4z0r said:

If I'm being totally honest, I think the reason the Longhorns produce a lower number of NFL prospects isn't due to talent. It's due to lack of development. Texas has some wicked talent, but they never develop. You never see a lot of development at really any position. The kids that make it to the NFL were already outstanding talents anyways.

ย 

On 10/11/2020 at 11:16 AM, trashyhound said:

I agree completely. I think once that snowball gets rolling it's difficult to turn around. I also see it as the chicken or egg debate. It doesn't matter which came first, poor recruiting or not developing talent, either way it makes it hard to win consistently.

ย 

23 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Texas has top 10 recruiting classes almost every year. Are all the recruiting experts wrong? Heck no. Peewee with only 2 years of Head coaching experience in his life before the Texas job and cant develop these 4 and 5 star kids. They put up a graphic in the game yesterday that showed Texas had 53ย  4 or 5 star kids on the sidelines yesterday. Other than Bama how many more programs have more talent than that? I'll wait for your answer....What other opening would be bigger than Texas this upcoming offseason. I'll wait for your answer in that as well...

ย 

From 2008 - 2012, Ohio State's recruiting class were ranked #10 ,#5, #18 ,#6, and #5 per 247. The average rank for those five seasons was 8.8.

From 2008 - 2014, Ohio State had 3, 7, 4, 5, 4, 3, and 6 players taken in each of those NFL drafts. They had an average of 4.5 players drafted in each NFL Draft.

Meyer's first true recruit class was the 2013 class. Ohio State's classes from 2013 - 2018 were ranked #2,ย #3, #7, #4, #2, and #2 with an average 3.3.

From the 2015 season (3 years of Meyer) until the 2020 season (Still guys recruited by Meyer) Ohio State had 5, 12, 7, 7, 9 and 10 players drafted in each NFL Draft with an average of 8.3 players picked in each draft.

ย 

So say what you want about the talent level of Ohio State before Meyer, but theyย took a major tick up when Meyer got there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I wouldnโ€™t say wasted... but he has made him the offense instead of using his skills to make everyone else around him better. ย Ehlinger is a lot like Tebow. ย Decent passer, hard runner, does not have explosive speed or agility, but enough to make people underestimate him.

And yet they try to keep him bottled up in the pocket, and make him attempt to pick apart defenses. Ehlinger NEEDS to use his legs. He NEEDS to run folks over. That's what makes him lethal. When your QB absolutely plows a linebacker, your entire offense feeds off of it. Your entire team. Let the man do what he's capable of doing.ย 

40 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

From 2008 - 2012, Ohio State's recruiting class were ranked #10 ,#5, #18 ,#6, and #5 per 247. The average rank for those five seasons was 8.8.

From 2008 - 2014, Ohio State had 3, 7, 4, 5, 4, 3, and 6 players taken in each of those NFL drafts. They had an average of 4.5 players drafted in each NFL Draft.

Meyer's first true recruit class was the 2013 class. Ohio State's classes from 2013 - 2018 were ranked #2,ย #3, #7, #4, #2, and #2 with an average 3.3.

From the 2015 season (3 years of Meyer) until the 2020 season (Still guys recruited by Meyer) Ohio State had 5, 12, 7, 7, 9 and 10 players drafted in each NFL Draft with an average of 8.3 players picked in each draft.

ย 

So say what you want about the talent level of Ohio State before Meyer, but theyย took a major tick up when Meyer got there.

I agree. He helped a bunch in recruiting.ย 

I've decieving part in that in the number of undrafted guys that made nfl rosters. OSU had more on average back then than UT has lately.ย 

My only argument is that OSU pre Meyers had more talent that Texas does now. Also in those recruiting grounds who does OSU have to really compete with for recruits? Texas has a whole bunch of company recruiting this state.ย 

2013 OSU >2020 UT as far as jobs and ease of success goes.ย 

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Tom Herman is now asking players to sing the Eyes of Texas if they feel comfortable doing it. If not, he respects their decision.ย 

ย 

Still ridiculous they left their QB out there that sing it alone. Where's the unity in that?ย 

2 hours ago, trashyhound said:

I agree. He helped a bunch in recruiting.ย 

I've decieving part in that in the number of undrafted guys that made nfl rosters. OSU had more on average back then than UT has lately.ย 

My only argument is that OSU pre Meyers had more talent that Texas does now. Also in those recruiting grounds who does OSU have to really compete with for recruits? Texas has a whole bunch of company recruiting this state.ย 

2013 OSU >2020 UT as far as jobs and ease of success goes.ย 

You are missing the point. Texas is getting as good as recruits NOW as Meyer was getting at Ohio state. The difference is in Coaching and developing the Talent. Herman has done neither. Meyer even said on the Studio show that Texas isn't developing the Talent. Go get MEYER!!

51 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

You are missing the point. Texas is getting as good as recruits NOW as Meyer was getting at Ohio state. The difference is in Coaching and developing the Talent. Herman has done neither. Meyer even said on the Studio show that Texas isn't developing the Talent. Go get MEYER!!

No, you missed it. I disagree about the recruits. Texas has nowhere near the talent that his OSU teams hadย  Go get him all you want, but I don't think he will come. The project is too big for him, Florida and OSU were primed for success. Texas is a project right now.ย 

3 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Meyer would have Texas at least a 10 win team and playing in the Big 12 CG next year IMO.ย  You have to make this move quick.ย  Can't wait until December.ย  Make Ash or Yurcich interim HC and Meyer can oversee things and decide who he wants to retain and such and try to salvage recruiting for 21'.ย  Keeping Herman kills the 21' class and he'd be a dead man walking for 22' and would set the program back big time.ย  Jimbo had the #4 class his first full class and Meyer would at least get that IMO.

Lookย at Meyer the 1st year everywhere he went compared to the previous:

Bowling Green:ย  2-9 year before, 8-3 Meyer's first year.

Utah:ย  5-6 year before, 10-2 Meyer's first year.

Florida:ย  7-5 year before, 9-3 Meyer's first year.

Ohio State:ย  6-7 year before, 12-0 Meyer's first year.

In 17 years as a HC, he's won less than 10 games in a year only 5 times.ย  Least amount of wins in a season is 8.ย  Make him say no.ย  An opportunity like this hardly comes around.ย ย 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 8:27 PM, H3llR4z0r said:

Man.. tell me this doesn't break your heart.ย 

ย 

Man, good for him. Makes me like and respect him a lot.ย 

I felt bad for him after the pick. They kept showing him and you could just feel the disappointment from him.ย 

I hope he has a stellar year. Herman is whatever.ย 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

ย 

ย 

Completely irrelevant stats. The OU defense is a shell of what it was in those previous guys and we didn't see each team running 90+ plays a game in those times either.ย 

I agree The losses aren't on Sam, but this stat comparison is one of the most irrelevant stats I've ever seen used.ย 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Completely irrelevant stats. The OU defense is a shell of what it was in those previous guys and we didn't see each team running 90+ plays a game in those times either.ย 

I agree The losses aren't on Sam, but this stat comparison is one of the most irrelevant stats I've ever seen used.ย 

Man I hate to tell you this, but of course you're gonna run 90+ plays in 4OT, but they ran 70-80 plays back in 90's and 00's, which is what is normally run now. The real difference is the rush to pass ratio, which can be expected with the spread offence. But the stat comparison really isn't as far off as you'd think.ย 

58 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I partially agree with this post.

The head coaches for OU during the time that the other players played were Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger, and John Blake.ย  The OU that we know today was not the OU of then.ย  These coaches did not perform well so it is safe to assume that the defenses were not stellar then either.

I will agree that the stats are irrelevant because of the progressiveness of the game and through in 4 OT's.ย  And, the losses are not on Sam.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Man I hate to tell you this, but of course you're gonna run 90+ plays in 4OT, but they ran 70-80 plays back in 90's and 00's, which is what is normally run now. The real difference is the rush to pass ratio, which can be expected with the spread offence. But the stat comparison really isn't as far off as you'd think.ย 

While that's true, how many total TDs were scored by the team for each qb. For instance, Herman runs the hell out of Sam in the red zone giving him tons of rushing TDs over those 4 games if I remember correctly. When the others were playing running the qb in the redzone wasnt used as much except maybe colt but even he wasn't used like same is.ย 

So my point is, Sam put up tons of yards and points but did so by design because he is virtually the only offense texas has at the moment. Did the total offense and total TDs scored increase that much under sam or is it just a distribution difference because the rbs aren't involved. Does that make sense?ย 

All in all I think we both agree these losses were not on sam but just disagreeing on how the stats point to this.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

While that's true, how many total TDs were scored by the team for each qb. For instance, Herman runs the hell out of Sam in the red zone giving him tons of rushing TDs over those 4 games if I remember correctly. When the others were playing running the qb in the redzone wasnt used as much except maybe colt but even he wasn't used like same is.ย 

So my point is, Sam put up tons of yards and points but did so by design because he is virtually the only offense texas has at the moment. Did the total offense and total TDs scored increase that much under sam or is it just a distribution difference because the rbs aren't involved. Does that make sense?ย 

All in all I think we both agree these losses were not on sam but just disagreeing on how the stats point to this.ย 

I don't think Sam's biggest plays are by design. I think the design is what gets them behind in the first place. Sam's true grit and athleticism shines when the game plan is thrown out the window and they're desperate. That's why I feel like he's been wasted by this coaching staff.ย 

That's just the evolution of football. QB is a more important position now than it's ever been. You don't see many backs take over games anymore, or defenses that are just amazing.ย 

But yes I don't blame Sam for any of it. As mediocre as he may be, he's more than good enough to win these games. Coaching coaching coaching.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

I don't think Sam's biggest plays are by design. I think the design is what gets them behind in the first place. Sam's true grit and athleticism shines when the game plan is thrown out the window and they're desperate. That's why I feel like he's been wasted by this coaching staff.ย 

That's just the evolution of football. QB is a more important position now than it's ever been. You don't see many backs take over games anymore, or defenses that are just amazing.ย 

But yes I don't blame Sam for any of it. As mediocre as he may be, he's more than good enough to win these games. Coaching coaching coaching.ย 

I agree with that for the most part, but I've seen qb power called ALOT inside the 10 for texas. I don't think as much of it is improve as you think. But most of the rest is accurate.ย 

Even as an Aggie fan I hate that a guy like Sam didn't get to be on better coached teams. He's a guy that truly loves his school. You don't get that very often.ย 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree with that for the most part, but I've seen qb power called ALOT inside the 10 for texas. I don't think as much of it is improve as you think. But most of the rest is accurate.ย 

Even as an Aggie fan I hate that a guy like Sam didn't get to be on better coached teams. He's a guy that truly loves his school. You don't get that very often.ย 

Nah man. All the Sooner fans are making fun of it now, but that picture of him holding the horns up as a baby says it all.ย 

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

BCCFED1B-4D16-40CA-9BBD-85791D6154C5.jpeg

Yeah, I was gonna ask about that...ย  it seems like twice now the UT leadership has tried to capture the hot guy at the moment.ย 

Hey Val, off the top of your head do you have Mack's W-L record against OU as compared to Strong/Herman?ย 

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yeah, I was gonna ask about that...ย  it seems like twice now the UT leadership has tried to capture the hot guy at the moment.ย 

Hey Val, off the top of your head do you have Mack's W-L record against OU as compared to Strong/Herman?ย 

Mack was (7-9) against OU, (6-9) against Stoops

Strong was (1-2)
Herman is (1-4)

• Like 1

I think that despite the creativity that we were led to believe that Herman would have here at Texas, he has come in and his play calling is stale and easy, easy for defenses to predict and sit on. He's not using the talents that he has there in the appropriate ways. I think as a coach, sometimes it's hardest to go away from your norm and comfort zone to actually openly and wisely look at your talent base and say I need to be bold and use the skill sets in this manner rather than my norm...otherwise you can cost yourself and your team because of being bull-headed and if you want to say it, "dumb"...or inflexible. Sometimes at a place like Texas, you can "over-think" things and try to be too cute or get too "scared" to coach boldly.ย 

I heard something the other day that was said well in regards to the Ohio State situation vs Texas for recruiting. Many times Texas has brought in high star players that haven't panned out...where Ohio State and some of these other similar blue bloodย schools may bring in a player and if the player "doesn't fit" with work ethic, personality, or attitude, or background...or other stuff then they won't bring them in. Texas has had these good players that flame out and it makes the Horns look bad.ย 

Texas has got to get to a point where they are high flying and truly using their talents to the max!!! It will help them to bring in even better talent...going forward.

• Like 1