๐ŸŸ  Longhorns 2020 thread

My first UT game to go watch was the last Red River Showdown Mack coached. That was as screwed up of a team as you'd ever seen. Case McCoy was QB. Still, as dysfunctional as they were, they beat #12 OU 36-20. The game never even felt close. Texas went up 2 possessions early in the 2nd and never let up.ย 

1 minute ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I think that despite the creativity that we were led to believe that Herman would have here at Texas, he has come in and his play calling is stale and easy, easy for defenses to predict and sit on. He's not using the talents that he has there in the appropriate ways. I think as a coach, sometimes it's hardest to go away from your norm and comfort zone to actually openly and wisely look at your talent base and say I need to be bold and use the skill sets in this manner rather than my norm...otherwise you can cost yourself and your team because of being bull-headed and if you want to say it, "dumb"...or inflexible. Sometimes at a place like Texas, you can "over-think" things and try to be too cute or get too "scared" to coach boldly.ย 

I heard something the other day that was said well in regards to the Ohio State situation vs Texas for recruiting. Many times Texas has brought in high star players that haven't panned out...where Ohio State and some of these other similar blue bloodย schools may bring in a player and if the player "doesn't fit" with work ethic, personality, or attitude, or background...or other stuff then they won't bring them in. Texas has had these good players that flame out and it makes the Horns look bad.ย 

Texas has got to get to a point where they are high flying and truly using their talents to the max!!! It will help them to bring in even better talent...going forward.

This is a great point.ย 

As an OU fan, I've know for the last four years that all we have to do is key on Ehlinger to limit UT's offense. As terrible as our defense has been for several years now, UT has not progressed much beyond "Sam runs it, or heaves it up against OU's terrible secondary."ย 

2017: 19-of-39 278ydsย 1td 0int, 22att 106yds 1td = OU wins 29-24
2018:ย 24-of-35 314yds 2tds 0int,ย 19att 72yds 3tds = UT wins 48-45
(CCG: 23-of-36 349yds 2tds 1int, 15att 42yds 2tds = OU wins 39-27)
2019:ย 26-of-38 210ydsย 0tdsย 0int, 23att -9yds 2tds = OU wins 34-27
2020:ย 30-of-53 287ydsย 2tdsย 2int, 23att 112yds 4tds = OU wins 53-45

It's a credit to Ehlinger's heart and force-of-will (and OU's laughable defense) that these games have been as close as they have, especially UT's lone win in 2018.ย 

For all the initial hype of Herman being an offensive "mastermind," it appears the extent of his expertise is simply to put the ball in Sam's hands and hope for the best.ย 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Saw him in HS and swore that between him and Malcolm Brown, Texas was going to be loaded and unstoppable on the ground for years to come. Don't really know what happened there.

Incompetent QB play if you ask me. There was zero threat at the QB position until really Ehlinger came along. And now he's the only "weapon" the offense has. David Ash had to retire because of too many concussions, so we got Case McCoy. Who, in my opinion, was only at UT because of his last name. He was miles away from what his brother was as a football player. Then that led to Tyrone Swoopes, who we all know Mack recruited over JT Barrett. And the rest is history.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Incompetent QB play if you ask me. There was zero threat at the QB position until really Ehlinger came along. And now he's the only "weapon" the offense has. David Ash had to retire because of too many concussions, so we got Case McCoy. Who, in my opinion, was only at UT because of his last name. He was miles away from what his brother was as a football player. Then that led to Tyrone Swoopes, who we all know Mack recruited over JT Barrett. And the rest is history.

The Garrett Gilbert debacle is what really hurt UT I think. Gilbert was supposed to be the next big thing. That was terrible. Ash wasn't bad, but like you said, had to retire. Case was gritty, but not very good at all. Swoopes was terrible. Buechele was good, but for someย  reason at Texas lacked any kind of pocket awareness. He took 53 sacks in his first 2 seasons, and I can remember some of them like it was yesterday, and a lot were unnecessary. That could be on coaching as well, but the offense wasn't a good one for Shane. Shane needed a more air raid style of offense with quick, short passes.ย 

And now the Ehlinger era is at it's end. I doubt he comes back next season, and I doubt the coaches will try to entice him to come back beings Thompson and Card are waiting.ย 

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Reports are coming out that prominent donors are pulling their money from the south endzone project to force a change at HC. Hermanโ€™s days are numbered.ย 

So...ย  short of the "home run hire" of an Urban Meyer/Nick Saban/Dabo Swinney, who would you say are the top targets for UT?ย 

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

So...ย  short of the "home run hire" of an Urban Meyer/Nick Saban/Dabo Swinney, who would you say are the top targets for UT?ย 

Meyer is all anyone,ย that I know is,ย talking about. I donโ€™t think you can go with another up and comer, but I like the guy at Louisiana Lafayette.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Urban is all anyone can talk about. It has the "Saban bought a house in Austin" vibes. I don't even know if he'd be interested. To be honest, I'm not sure who the top targets would be right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

This is a great point.ย 

As an OU fan, I've know for the last four years that all we have to do is key on Ehlinger to limit UT's offense. As terrible as our defense has been for several years now, UT has not progressed much beyond "Sam runs it, or heaves it up against OU's terrible secondary."ย 

2017: 19-of-39 278ydsย 1td 0int, 22att 106yds 1td = OU wins 29-24
2018:ย 24-of-35 314yds 2tds 0int,ย 19att 72yds 3tds = UT wins 48-45
(CCG: 23-of-36 349yds 2tds 1int, 15att 42yds 2tds = OU wins 39-27)
2019:ย 26-of-38 210ydsย 0tdsย 0int, 23att -9yds 2tds = OU wins 34-27
2020:ย 30-of-53 287ydsย 2tdsย 2int, 23att 112yds 4tds = OU wins 53-45

It's a credit to Ehlinger's heart and force-of-will (and OU's laughable defense) that these games have been as close as they have, especially UT's lone win in 2018.ย 

For all the initial hype of Herman being an offensive "mastermind," it appears the extent of his expertise is simply to put the ball in Sam's hands and hope for the best.ย 

What is even crazier is I saw that Texas has won the turnover battle like 15 to 4 in Sam's games against Oklahoma, but they are 1-4.ย 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

What is even crazier is I saw that Texas has won the turnover battle like 15 to 4 in Sam's games against Oklahoma, but they are 1-4.ย 

Herman is trash.ย 

Idk what it is man. He can have Texas ready for some of the biggest games, but loses the ones he shouldn't lose.ย 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Herman is trash.ย 

Idk what it is man. He can have Texas ready for some of the biggest games, but loses the ones he shouldn't lose.ย 

Herman is stubborn. He wants to win games his way or no way. Saturday after the game he said โ€œI guess we could win games 65-55 but that not what I envision.โ€ He wonโ€™t turn over the offense completely to Yurcich and because he wants it his way they donโ€™t make adjustments during games.ย 

21 hours ago, LOL said:

The one UT needs wonโ€™t be available for at least another five years and his wife is related to Barry Switzer.

So, that may never happen..
ย 

In fact, I really do not ever want him to leave his current position until he retires. Let him win at least fifteenย more state championships before retiring.

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The one UT needs wonโ€™t be available for at least another five years and his wife is related to Barry Switzer.

So, that may never happen..
ย 

In fact, I really do not ever want him to leave his current position until he retires. Let him win at least fifteenย more state championships before retiring.

Ha, you laugh. Why?

Heโ€™s light years better than Herman and Strong could ever dream of being.

Heโ€™s a for real winner and notย just talking about as a football coach. He is a killer when it comes to any competition, anything.

I have a hard time believing Herman has this mentality.

There never was a coach from Stephenville who went to college coaching and had huge success was there?ย 
Youโ€™re laughing at a coach who by the time heโ€™s done in high school could undoubtedly be considered the greatest Texas High School football coach ever just depends on how long he wants to stay in high school.

He may never want to go to college coaching and Iโ€™d love that, but if he did want to coach at the next level Iโ€™d bet with zero doubt heโ€™d have a ton of success.ย 

27 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ha, you laugh. Why?

Heโ€™s light years better than Herman and Strong could ever dream of being.

Heโ€™s a for real winner and notย just talking about as a football coach. He is a killer when it comes to any competition, anything.

I have a hard time believing Herman has this mentality.

There never was a coach from Stephenville who went to college coaching and had huge success was there?ย 
Youโ€™re laughing at a coach who by the time heโ€™s done in high school could undoubtedly be considered the greatest Texas High School football coach ever just depends on how long he wants to stay in high school.

He may never want to go to college coaching and Iโ€™d love that, but if he did want to coach at the next level Iโ€™d bet with zero doubt heโ€™d have a ton of success.ย 

All of those things may be true eventually.ย 

However, there is no way in hell Texas could justify hiring a guy out of high school who isn't even in the state's biggest division to be theirย HC right now.

If he goes to college and works his way up then maybe someday, but not this year for Texas at least.

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

All of those things may be true eventually.ย 

However, there is no way in hell Texas could justify hiring a guy out of high school who isn't even in the state's biggest division to be there HC right now.

If he goes to college and works his way up then maybe someday, but not this year for Texas at least.

I hear you on that.

22 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I may be out of loop but how is this controversial? I mean come on. I realize maybe the south used it way back when. This is about dumb as it get cause no way is remotely not considered the Texas school song\Motto ect...ย 

At least sully was actually somewhat connected to the South but this is reaching bad . Getting upset about something 100 or more years ago is stupidity at its finest.

From what I gather from the ones that are opposed to the song is that it was sung at a minstrel show originally.ย  There is a forced connection to what the song is actually referring to as well.ย  If indeed this song was "racist" I am sure that it would have been dealt with long ago.ย  Even if it was originally meant to be racist it has long lost that connection.ย  I was on campus from 1984 through 1988 and I was never made aware of the "history" of the song.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2