🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

From what I gather from the ones that are opposed to the song is that it was sung at a minstrel show originally.  There is a forced connection to what the song is actually referring to as well.  If indeed this song was "racist" I am sure that it would have been dealt with long ago.  Even if it was originally meant to be racist it has long lost that connection.  I was on campus from 1984 through 1988 and I was never made aware of the "history" of the song.

What happened with Sam and Hook’em? I’ve never understood what happened there. I’ve seen it and like he was the only UT player that stayed.

33 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What happened with Sam and Hook’em? I’ve never understood what happened there. I’ve seen it and like he was the only UT player that stayed.

What I have read is that after all of the negotiations from the demands of the players this summer, changing names of buildings, funding more minority programs, etc., which the university did with the compromise that the players did not have to sing The Eyes of Texas but would remain on the field.  Some of the players wanted the song gone but all of the other demands were met so giving one thing as a compromise seemed logical.  All of the other sports programs have complied with this except for the football team.  Herman did not enforce it so the players have been leaving.  Del Conte, the AD, apparently stated today that the players will remain on the field.  This is not a good look for the program as had Herman done what he should have from the get go this would not be an issue (hopefully not).

When all of this was going down this summer the university president said that the song would stay and that, while the history of the song would be acknowledged, it would appropriate a new meaning (which is universally accepted for the last upteen 100 years or so anyway).  The president recently commissioned a task force to investigate the history of the song with the findings to be submitted by January.

Bottom line is that Sam is the only one that stayed on the field after the loss against OU to sing the song and acknowledge the fans.  If they were winning I am sure that this drama would be playing out differently.  But with today's environment it is just another way for those that have an issue to take their toys and go home.

This has been a very divisive moment with UT as over $25M and counting has been pulled by the donors since last Saturday.  I think that the players have overplayed their hand in this particularly after an apparent compromise had been met.  It is a total clown show right now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

What I have read is that after all of the negotiations from the demands of the players this summer, changing names of buildings, funding more minority programs, etc., which the university did with the compromise that the players did not have to sing The Eyes of Texas but would remain on the field.  Some of the players wanted the song gone but all of the other demands were met so giving one thing as a compromise seemed logical.  All of the other sports programs have complied with this except for the football team.  Herman did not enforce it so the players have been leaving.  Del Conte, the AD, apparently stated today that the players will remain on the field.  This is not a good look for the program as had Herman done what he should have from the get go this would not be an issue (hopefully not).

When all of this was going down this summer the university president said that the song would stay and that, while the history of the song would be acknowledged, it would appropriate a new meaning (which is universally accepted for the last upteen 100 years or so anyway).  The president recently commissioned a task force to investigate the history of the song with the findings to be submitted by January.

Bottom line is that Sam is the only one that stayed on the field after the loss against OU to sing the song and acknowledge the fans.  If they were winning I am sure that this drama would be playing out differently.  But with today's environment it is just another way for those that have an issue to take their toys and go home.

This has been a very divisive moment with UT as over $25M and counting has been pulled by the donors since last Saturday.  I think that the players have overplayed their hand in this particularly after an apparent compromise had been met.  It is a total clown show right now.

And people think urban meyer wants to walk into that? Just kidding...Kind of... 

Texas is a high pressure job right now. Cultural and identity issues from the university and students VS the money backing the program that has pride in its traditions. There's a much deeper issue here than just who's coaching the football team. And therefore its going to be hard in my opinion for anyone to be successful there until Texas decides if it wants to be in the conversation with Stanford/Cal/UCLA or Bama/Clemson/Ohio st. You can't be both. 

27 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

1. Something that not mentioned. Why would Meyer even consider coming back? 

He has the rings and pretty good gig right now! $$ not an issue. 

Texas needs a up and coming coach more than the Home run hire. Texas seems obsessed with getting back to the glory days rather than getting the proven hire. Go after a coach in the game like A Patterson or best DC money can buy. That always seems to be the issue. I don’t follow the horns enough but seems like Defense is what lacks.

The problem with getting a proven guy is why would a proven guy leave his current spot? Patterson is a legend at TCU. There is virtually no pressure for him to win there and his seat is not ever very warm because of his past accomplishments. If he took the job at Texas he is essentially given 3 years to win or they fire him much like they did Strong and now potentially Herman. Just doesn't seem like a move that makes sense for Patterson. Not that I think that's a good hire for Texas anyways. 

If I'm Texas I would try very hard to lure away Kyle Whittingham from Utah. His teams always play tough and he knows defense. He is proven and just took a pretty hefty paycut at Utah due to covid. Im not sure he would leave, but if you're chasing someone proven he's the guy IMO. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The problem with getting a proven guy is why would a proven guy leave his current spot? Patterson is a legend at TCU. There is virtually no pressure for him to win there and his seat is not ever very warm because of his past accomplishments. If he took the job at Texas he is essentially given 3 years to win or they fire him much like they did Strong and now potentially Herman. Just doesn't seem like a move that makes sense for Patterson...

This is true...  Patterson can go through a rough patch of 2-3 years and his seat stays relatively cool, so long as he: 1.) beats Texas, and 2.) occasionally makes a run at a conference title. 

Just look at his career in the Big XII: 

2012    TCU    7–6    4–5    T–5th
2013    TCU    4–8    2–7    T–7th
2014    TCU    12–1    8–1    T–1st
2015    TCU    11–2    7–2    T–2nd
2016    TCU    6–7    4–5    5th
2017    TCU    11–3    7–2    2nd
2018    TCU    7–6    4–5    T–5th
2019    TCU    5–7    3–6    T–7th            

4-8? 6-7? Can you imagine what would happen if he had that kinda season at UT? Boom. Gone. But in Fort Worth all they do is say "it's a building year." 

Rumors floating now on Aggie boards (came from horn booster and other boards apparently) that some of the money guys are wanting to talk Mack Brown into coming back because of how well he's doing at UNC. Man I love the crazy internet stuff during coaching uncertainty 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Rumors floating now on Aggie boards (came from horn booster and other boards apparently) that some of the money guys are wanting to talk Mack Brown into coming back because of how well he's doing at UNC. Man I love the crazy internet stuff during coaching uncertainty 😂

Lol, I'm sure there some kooky Horn alum/boosters who are saying crazy stuff like this. But I am almost certain there's no legit movement in this direction. 

It is a funny thought though. 

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

Lol, I'm sure there some kooky Horn alum/boosters who are saying crazy stuff like this. But I am almost certain there's no legit movement in this direction. 

It is a funny thought though. 

Yea I doubt there's any truth to it at all. Buts crazy how these things grow legs during times like this. 

But hey, Mack went to a second stint at UNC. Maybe we will just complete the circle 😂

• LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Buts crazy how these things grow legs during times like this...

So you're saying that those rumors about Stoops to Cleveland/Dallas/Youngstown/Florida might not be true? 

WHEW-Ace-Ventura.gif

There was even word that saban bought a house in Austin after mack was fired the first time because he was a done deal to be the new HC. Maybe he bought it so he could leave now... Matter of fact, he doesn't have covid at all he is just doing an interview this weekend in austin and needed Saturday off. 

• LOL! 1

There was even word that saban bought a house in Austin after mack was fired the first time because he was a done deal to be the new HC. Maybe he bought it so he could leave now... Matter of fact, he doesn't have covid at all he is just doing an interview this weekend in austin and needed Saturday off. 

3 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Buying real estate in Austin is a smart move. I guarantee you he's doubled his investment since then.  ;) 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

“Not that anyone here really cares, but, I got a buddy at sheridan pro who works under a prominent horn booster. He told me his boss has been pretty up the wall all season over this eyes business on their team and has been letting CDC know about it. Which makes sense of course.

There was really nothing groundbreaking about anything he was saying until just this morning. He said his boss has been collaborating with some other boosters about getting Mack Brown back in the fold. I laughed, but he was serious. There had been a lot of interest in Urban Meyer, of course, but, after Herman has shown himself to be less than trustworthy, there is fear that in going for Meyer, Herman would air more dirt on Meyer, which is a risk they can’t take at this point. He said there’s an urgency to get the pride in the eyes back at all cost and that Mack is uniquely suited to bring it back. I still thought he was fos and asked why Mack would leave the situation he’s in? But this guy is solid on his info and said there is real mutual interest.”

What the heck?

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

We can only dream!!

🤘🏻

It was my opinion they should have never fired Mack to begin with. He was haunted by the looming QB recruiting failure. He was going to suffer for a season or two. When you vest that much into a 5 star flop, it hurts. Texas had nobody else to pick up the slack. Not only was he a flop, but so was Swoopes. Low and behold, the NCAA changes the rules to make it so much easier to transfer schools and play... who knows what might have been had Mack still been here with all of these huge QB talents transferring around the country.

It's all disgusting man. I hated they way they got rid of Mack, and it still infuriates me to this day. I know NC lost over the weekend, but I wish they'd win a natty, just to throw it in our face. 

7 minutes ago, H3llR4z0r said:

It was my opinion they should have never fired Mack to begin with. He was haunted by the looming QB recruiting failure. He was going to suffer for a season or two. When you vest that much into a 5 star flop, it hurts. Texas had nobody else to pick up the slack. Not only was he a flop, but so was Swoopes. Low and behold, the NCAA changes the rules to make it so much easier to transfer schools and play... who knows what might have been had Mack still been here with all of these huge QB talents transferring around the country.

It's all disgusting man. I hated they way they got rid of Mack, and it still infuriates me to this day. I know NC lost over the weekend, but I wish they'd win a natty, just to throw it in our face. 

Mack allowed the talent at Texas to go to waste.  Not only that, he owned Texas recruiting and couldn't find the right guys.  Not only that, but Mack could have recruiting out of state to fill holes but didn't do it.  Not only that, the 5* flop, sure it was awful, BUT... you should have had a capable 4-5* as his back up... that is on the HC.  Not only that, you said there was no one else to pick up the slack, but there were as many 4* and 5* players on Mack's UT teams as you could find at Bama or LSU last year.  

Mack failed.  Where Texas screwed up was the hiring process afterwards.  There were too many rogue donors and random people with their hand in that cookie jar scaring people away before UT even got a chance to talk to them.  Texas boosters were trying to make that hire and scared away the ability to even talk to Saban.  Rumors were that Texas was interested in Jimbo Fisher, Art Briles, Chip Kelly and James Franklin.  Instead, they got Charlie Strong.  I even read an article that said "Boosters reached out to Saban's agent."  Not the university, but the BOOSTERS!  That's embarrassing.

Texas needs to get their 💩 together before they fire another coach.  I don't think Herman is the answer, but I also don't think Texas is ready to seek a better coach yet.  If Meyer isn't interested, I wouldn't touch the 2020-21 market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Mack allowed the talent at Texas to go to waste.  Not only that, he owned Texas recruiting and couldn't find the right guys.  Not only that, but Mack could have recruiting out of state to fill holes but didn't do it.  Not only that, the 5* flop, sure it was awful, BUT... you should have had a capable 4-5* as his back up... that is on the HC.  Not only that, you said there was no one else to pick up the slack, but there were as many 4* and 5* players on Mack's UT teams as you could find at Bama or LSU last year.  

Mack failed.  Where Texas screwed up was the hiring process afterwards.  There were too many rogue donors and random people with their hand in that cookie jar scaring people away before UT even got a chance to talk to them.  Texas boosters were trying to make that hire and scared away the ability to even talk to Saban.  Rumors were that Texas was interested in Jimbo Fisher, Art Briles, Chip Kelly and James Franklin.  Instead, they got Charlie Strong.  I even read an article that said "Boosters reached out to Saban's agent."  Not the university, but the BOOSTERS!  That's embarrassing.

Texas needs to get their 💩 together before they fire another coach.  I don't think Herman is the answer, but I also don't think Texas is ready to seek a better coach yet.  If Meyer isn't interested, I wouldn't touch the 2020-21 market.

While in theory that sounds good, most of the time 4* and 5* recruits aren't sitting in wait under other 4* and 5* recruits. You had the next big thing, which was 5* Gilbert under McCoy. Gilbert was a flop. You really wouldn't expect them to have another recruit of that caliber for a couple of years. Maybe Gilberts JR year. So they had to settle for Ash, who had to retire, then the young McCoy who I think they used Colt as a bargaining chip to get him in the program. Swoopes was the next 4* big recruit. He flopped. So you've got roughly 4-6 years of what should be golden stud QB days, that were total bums.

I also wouldn't go as far as to say talent went to waste under Brown. How many players are still playing in the NFL that Mack coached? Yes he stayed in state, but that's what made Texas so great then. "You mean you won a national championship with 90%+ in-state recruits?" There's a certain pride that goes with that. Now yes, I understand what you're saying with filling in holes if need be. If you have to, you have to. I'm not certain whether Mack had to or not, but I do know that a large portion of his demise was the terrible offense and that was due mostly to not having a QB.