🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

If you believe message boards then Herman is as good as gone. They are just making sure they can get the right replacement before they officially fire Herman. 
Money isn’t going to be an issue, there are apparently enough ticked off money men that CDC and new President Hartzell are already working out ways to make things happen. An in-season firing or reassigning of Herman is the most likely outcome. 

46 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

There are more than enough BMD's that are disgruntled.  Money will not be an issue.  They may pull their money from the End Zone remodel and apply it to the coaching buyout.  The BMD's will/would find a way to get it done.

42 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

If you believe message boards then Herman is as good as gone. They are just making sure they can get the right replacement before they officially fire Herman. 
Money isn’t going to be an issue, there are apparently enough ticked off money men that CDC and new President Hartzell are already working out ways to make things happen. An in-season firing or reassigning of Herman is the most likely outcome. 

Y'all feel like they're going all-in on Urban Meyer? Kyle Shanahan? Dabo? 

Hard to imagine them making such a big buyout for someone like Matt Campbell. 

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

Y'all feel like they're going all-in on Urban Meyer? Kyle Shanahan? Dabo? 

Hard to imagine them making such a big buyout for someone like Matt Campbell. 

I think it’s Urban. They’ll call Dabo and Shanahan, may have already made those calls. Shanahan wants no part of the college game because of recruiting. 

I agree you can’t spend this kind of buyout money for Campbell. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think it’s Urban. They’ll call Dabo and Shanahan, may have already made those calls. Shanahan wants no part of the college game because of recruiting. 

So what if Meyer doesn't want the job? That's the issue you're seeing here when I mean money. Who is worth what its going to cost to replace Herman that is truly realistic. I don't think Texas is the ultimate job some of you think it is. Which is how you ended up with a guy like Herman and charlie strong over someone proven in the first place. Those calls were made then too and were turned down and that's without the off the field issues that pretty much put a coach in a no win situation. You're either loyal to your players and stand with them on the eyes issue or you're loyal to the big money guys who pay your salary but off you're players and recruits in the process. I truly think this issue is what keeps Texas from getting the huge hire they want. Sure they can probably throw the money at a guy like campbell and get him. But is he worth it? There's not but a handful of coaches that are worth the money in a tight budget year like this and I just don't see them leaving. That's what I mean by getting money together. You think the big money guys are going to fork up to replace him with another unproven? 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Or any other kind of "rising star" younger coach. That's what Herman was.

I remember the bidding war between LSU and UT that went right down to the wire. Breaking news scrolling on the bottom screen, even as Charlie was still coaching. 

The only way you can keelhaul Herman is if you have a home-run hire waiting in the wings. Short of Urban, Dabo, or the great Satan himself, there's no one out there right now who's worth the massive buyout.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

So what if Meyer doesn't want the job? That's the issue you're seeing here when I mean money. Who is worth what its going to cost to replace Herman that is truly realistic. I don't think Texas is the ultimate job some of you think it is. Which is how you ended up with a guy like Herman and charlie strong over someone proven in the first place. Those calls were made then too and were turned down and that's without the off the field issues that pretty much put a coach in a no win situation. You're either loyal to your players and stand with them on the eyes issue or you're loyal to the big money guys who pay your salary but off you're players and recruits in the process. I truly think this issue is what keeps Texas from getting the huge hire they want. Sure they can probably throw the money at a guy like campbell and get him. But is he worth it? There's not but a handful of coaches that are worth the money in a tight budget year like this and I just don't see them leaving. That's what I mean by getting money together. You think the big money guys are going to fork up to replace him with another unproven? 

Again if you believe message boards then Texas is willing to pay up to get Urban. He wants to coach again (he wanted the Cowboys job last year) the real question is if his family will sign off. There are only a handful of jobs that can pull Urban from his comfy situation and Texas is on that list. 

The “Eyes” situation got out of hand because Herman tried to ride the fence. The decision on whether to stand on the field or court for the Eyes was never up to the coaches, Herman didn’t do his job when the CDC made him and the rest of the coaches aware of the BOR decision. Whoever is the next coach won’t have to deal with it because it’s not based on what the players or coaches decide. If you signup to play at Texas you’ll be on the field with your teammates for the Eyes. Herman made this a much bigger issue than it needed to be and it was the final nail in his coffin. He won’t survive this and the teams poor play. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LOL said:

Or any other kind of "rising star" younger coach. That's what Herman was.

I remember the bidding war between LSU and UT that went right down to the wire. Breaking news scrolling on the bottom screen, even as Charlie was still coaching. 

The only way you can keelhaul Herman is if you have a home-run hire waiting in the wings. Short of Urban, Dabo, or the great Satan himself, there's no one out there right now who's worth the massive buyout.

I think you’re right. The donors aren’t going to pay huge money for another up and comer. They tried that twice and it failed. 
This isn’t just the fans being upset about the season or the Eyes situation. The guys donating millions to the university are just as upset with all of it. 
CDC won’t pull the plug on Herman until he has his guy IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

So what if Meyer doesn't want the job?

Another angle about Urban is that he seems to have consistently leveraged himself in situations to be successful almost immediately. 

The prevailing narrative is that Urban shows up and teams improve almost right away. While there's certainly evidence to back that up, a closer look shows that Urban's moves were highly risk-averse to him. Check out the AP story from 2018: Urban Meyer will not coach in college again. Believe it.

"After leading Utah to an unbeaten season in 2004, Urban Meyer had a choice to make. He could become the coach at Notre Dame — a dream job, he once called it — or at Florida. Meyer picked Florida because the Gators were better positioned to win national championships. He won two with the Gators."

Meyer’s career has been a steady ascent, from Bowling Green for two years to Utah for two years to Florida for six years to Ohio State. Each job has been better than the one before it.

Only a school with legitimate national championship aspirations could entice Meyer. That list is short. Even shorter is the list of schools that could allow him to have anything close to Ohio State-level success.

Urban strikes me as the kinda guy who likes a challenge, provided he's in a position to be successful quickly. Going from Utah to Florida was a significant upgrade. Had he gone to Notre Dame it would've been a rebuild. The team he inherited at Ohio State was stacked with future NFL starters, and he ran the table in his first season. 

Neither of those would be the case at Texas. 

While UT certainly has no shortage of talent, and a steady pipeline to Texas schoolboys stars, and all the resources he could possibly want...  the task ahead of him would be a considerable one. 

Added to that is the fact that he's coming from back-to-back stints where he stepped down due to health concerns, leaving each program with scandals in his wake. 

UT doesn't need a complete overhaul, but they're certainly a rebuild project. 

At 56 years of age, would Urban up to the task? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

Again if you believe message boards then Texas is willing to pay up to get Urban. He wants to coach again (he wanted the Cowboys job last year) the real question is if his family will sign off. There are only a handful of jobs that can pull Urban from his comfy situation and Texas is on that list. 

The “Eyes” situation got out of hand because Herman tried to ride the fence. The decision on whether to stand on the field or court for the Eyes was never up to the coaches, Herman didn’t do his job when the CDC made him and the rest of the coaches aware of the BOR decision. Whoever is the next coach won’t have to deal with it because it’s not based on what the players or coaches decide. If you signup to play at Texas you’ll be on the field with your teammates for the Eyes. Herman made this a much bigger issue than it needed to be and it was the final nail in his coffin. He won’t survive this and the teams poor play. 

I disagree with so much of this. Yes Herman rode the fence, but a new coach absolutely cannot just come in and "listen to the AD" and make the players stay on the field for the eyes without backlash from the team and recruits. As a coach your job is to win games. You do that with absolutely team buy in and recruiting. You cannot just ignore your team in a situation like this in favor of the AD or you lose the team. That's why this situation at Texas is not going away any time soon. These kids have watched every aspect of our country basically just allow someone to say "I won't do it" regardless of the rules or expectations and get their way. What happens when the players just refuse to do what Del Conte says? They will either quit or be punished which doesn't win games. 

Texas has lost this battle already. It has two choices. Either stay true to your school traditions at the expense of the team, or give in to your traditions in order to please the players and win games. This is the danger of this liberal cancel culture. Today its eyes, tomorrow who knows. But the point is this isn't going away any time soon until Texas donors either cave or accept it and move on. I don't think they should cave but I also understand that winning football games is much more fun. 

11 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I disagree with so much of this. Yes Herman rode the fence, but a new coach absolutely cannot just come in and "listen to the AD" and make the players stay on the field for the eyes without backlash from the team and recruits...

That would be gasoline on the fire, especially on social media. The hashtag would trend nationally. The woke-scolds would make UT a meme. 

52 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I disagree with so much of this. Yes Herman rode the fence, but a new coach absolutely cannot just come in and "listen to the AD" and make the players stay on the field for the eyes without backlash from the team and recruits. As a coach your job is to win games. You do that with absolutely team buy in and recruiting. You cannot just ignore your team in a situation like this in favor of the AD or you lose the team. That's why this situation at Texas is not going away any time soon. These kids have watched every aspect of our country basically just allow someone to say "I won't do it" regardless of the rules or expectations and get their way. What happens when the players just refuse to do what Del Conte says? They will either quit or be punished which doesn't win games. 

Texas has lost this battle already. It has two choices. Either stay true to your school traditions at the expense of the team, or give in to your traditions in order to please the players and win games. This is the danger of this liberal cancel culture. Today its eyes, tomorrow who knows. But the point is this isn't going away any time soon until Texas donors either cave or accept it and move on. I don't think they should cave but I also understand that winning football games is much more fun. 

40 minutes ago, LOL said:

That would be gasoline on the fire, especially on social media. The hashtag would trend nationally. The woke-scolds would make UT a meme. 

Guys, the entire team stayed on the field for the Eyes on Saturday after the Baylor game and it was just a recording since the band isn’t allowed at games. The majority held their Horns up and sang the song. 

All Herman had to do was tell the team exactly what CDC said to the coaches, which was that everyone would be expected to stay on the field/court for the Eyes, it took CDC and President Hartzell having their own team meeting with players and coaches for that message to get across. Jared Elliott and the Volleyball team have stay on the court after every match for the Eyes, his team is ranked #1 in the country and lead by 2 black ladies. 

Going forward the next coach will just have to make it know that the team is expected to take part in the schools traditions. That same message will be relayed to recruits. Some players may transfer and some recruits may go elsewhere but the majority won’t care. 

This why you must get a guy with skins like a Meyer type coach. A strong figure that will tell players what is expected of them. 

All of this could change and the song may be completely banned or replaced once the BOR investigation into the song and it’s origins is done. They are supposed to have those findings by the end of the year. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Guys, the entire team stayed on the field for the Eyes on Saturday after the Baylor game and it was just a recording since the band isn’t allowed at games. The majority held their Horns up and sang the song. 

All Herman had to do was tell the team exactly what CDC said to the coaches, which was that everyone would be expected to stay on the field/court for the Eyes, it took CDC and President Hartzell having their own team meeting with players and coaches for that message to get across. Jared Elliott and the Volleyball team have stay on the court after every match for the Eyes, his team is ranked #1 in the country and lead by 2 black ladies. 

Going forward the next coach will just have to make it know that the team is expected to take part in the schools traditions. That same message will be relayed to recruits. Some players may transfer and some recruits may go elsewhere but the majority won’t care. 

This why you must get a guy with skins like a Meyer type coach. A strong figure that will tell players what is expected of them. 

All of this could change and the song may be completely banned or replaced once the BOR investigation into the song and it’s origins is done. They are supposed to have those findings by the end of the year. 

If the team doesn't believe it's an issue then by all means keep it. I was just going by the last statements I've read and just the culture of the world in general. I did not watch the Baylor game so I am admittedly a few days behind on the story. Seems like its resolved itself. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

All Herman had to do was tell the team exactly what CDC said to the coaches, which was that everyone would be expected to stay on the field/court for the Eyes, it took CDC and President Hartzell having their own team meeting with players and coaches for that message to get across.

Wow, I'm impressed. I may not be a UT alum/supporter, but I certainly respect how they handled this situation. Like WETSU, this is not an issue I've watched too closely. I'm commenting more on the cultural trend in general. But it's refreshing to see a college administration show some balls. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

This okie st is a telling test for Texas. Must win for Herman  job security. Like wet said Texas and Ou should absolutely never Endure a three loss season. 

It won’t matter. 
The word that this is the first time all the Texas donor factions are on the same page about replacing the coach. Even Strong had a few donors/alumni in his corner when he was fired. Herman doesn’t have any support right now, even from the guys that wanted him hired. The only thing keeping Herman at Texas right now is Meyer hasn’t already agreed to a deal. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

It won’t matter. 
The word that this is the first time all the Texas donor factions are on the same page about replacing the coach. Even Strong had a few donors/alumni in his corner when he was fired. Herman doesn’t have any support right now, even from the guys that wanted him hired. The only thing keeping Herman at Texas right now is Meyer hasn’t already agreed to a deal. 

Yeah, I can totally see this...  Herman was an odd duck from the get-go. The main thing he had going for him was a lotta hype about being young and a "mastermind" about playcalling. The silly stunts with "grills" and blinged-out pacifiers and baseball bats, those were all tolerated with the assumption that these eccentricities might yield results. 

It's like that classic line from Bull Durham: 

Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob. 

Herman's got fungus on his shower shoes, and his team is struggling to stay relevant for Big XII contention. It's never really been a good cultural fit, and I bet the UT guys who pushed for his hire have long since cooled on him. What's more, he hasn't met the high expectations of the donor class. It'd be one thing if Herman was like Mack Brown and could charm the BoR or the well-heeled money men into giving him some more rope. But he's kind of a weirdo.

• Like 1

Bottom line, Texas was arguably the favorite to win the Big 12 this season. With OU down, everyone else in the conference (minus OSU) are all on the same mediocre level. Yet, Texas sits 4th in the big 12 with 2 losses (could have 3). 

This was Texas’ year to win the conference, and Herman has completely blown that opportunity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Is the Okie State defense that good or is the play calling for UT that bad? Good INT return and have to settle for 3 points?

It was good defense but Texas’ play calling inside the 10 is the same 3 plays. That won’t dare to throw the ball. 

• Like 1