🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

On 11/27/2020 at 6:20 PM, LOL said:

Pretty strong evidence that the Mack Brown era was the exception and not the rule at UT. 

Here’s the thing with Texas.  You have the nicest hand in the state.  You have the prettiest basket to pull from.  But you also have another nice hand a few hours away that also gets some of the nicer things from that basket.  Then you have the hidden gem in Houston picking from the basket.  Then you have the proven winner up north pulling from that basket.  Now you have friends from the SEC picking from that basket.  Mack got his hand in the basket first and that is why he won.  Tom and Coach Swag weren’t getting first choices.  You need someone who can come in and take over and make the right choices.  Mack got run out of his job because his first choices were bad choices at the end of his Longhorn tenure.  Herman may not be getting bad recruits, but he isn’t getting all of the top recruits like Mack did

• Like 1

IMO (based on what I’ve read), Herman will coach the last game vs Kstate. Texas will try to get an agreement from Urban this week, if that agreement occurs he’ll be announced as head coach Sunday or Monday. If an Urban turns down the job then a formal search will begin. 

13 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

IMO (based on what I’ve read), Herman will coach the last game vs Kstate. Texas will try to get an agreement from Urban this week, if that agreement occurs he’ll be announced as head coach Sunday or Monday. If an Urban turns down the job then a formal search will begin. 

This sounds legit to me. 

58 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Urban can turn Texas around and he will be gone in 5 years.  He isn’t a complacent guy.  He gets the job done then leaves.  

• Like 2

First it was Cosmi who decided a few days ago to opt out for the rest of the season.  Now, the latest Longhorn to decide to also opt out is Caden Stearns.

I wonder - - are these "opt-out" decisions unique to the unsettled situation at Texas, or could the same thing be happening at more settled colleges like OU?

Sure, we've had a couple of "opt-out" situations of our own, but at the beginning of the season, not at the end, like the Horns.  At least ours allowed the coaches to shuffle and make adjustments and bring along players as the season progressed.

Texas' Cosmi and now Stearns smells suspiciously like rats deserting a sinking ship... and do not reflect well on the players, IMO.  T'would have been far better/more unselfish to have made such a decision in the preseason, as Brooks did at OU...

I think, were I a Horn fan, I would not be feeling too charitably toward these guys right now.

28 minutes ago, BlackwellSooner said:

First it was Cosmi who decided a few days ago to opt out for the rest of the season.  Now, the latest Longhorn to decide to also opt out is Caden Stearns.

I wonder - - are these "opt-out" decisions unique to the unsettled situation at Texas, or could the same thing be happening at more settled colleges like OU?

Sure, we've had a couple of "opt-out" situations of our own, but at the beginning of the season, not at the end, like the Horns.  At least ours allowed the coaches to shuffle and make adjustments and bring along players as the season progressed.

Texas' Cosmi and now Stearns smells suspiciously like rats deserting a sinking ship... and do not reflect well on the players, IMO.  T'would have been far better/more unselfish to have made such a decision in the preseason, as Brooks did at OU...

I think, were I a Horn fan, I would not be feeling too charitably toward these guys right now.

Cosmi has a 1st round grade, I understand his opt-out a little more, but he should’ve finished the regular season and sat out the bowl if he wanted. 
Sterns optted-out back in August when the BLM movement was making demands. Dude was a 5* but never lived up to it. He won’t be missed in the defensive backfield. 

I think these kids are done with Herman. 

Sterns optted-out back in August when the BLM movement was making demands. Dude was a 5* but never lived up to it. He won’t be missed in the defensive backfield. 

For some reason, I guess that I forgot that he'd opted out early, was thinking that this was a recent thing.  My bad...

1 hour ago, BlackwellSooner said:

I saw his tweet where he stated he's opting out of his remaining eligibility next year but not necessarily the rest of the season. I think it's a mistake. His ability has regressed in my opinion. He needs to come back next year and try to raise his draft stock.

An interesting Tidbit........my brother and I are SWTSU(Texas State) alums, but he was working for The Closet Men's Store in Austin as the manager at 26th/Guadalupe in 1977.  He would order Earl Campbell's Levis and suits.  The guy had 36" thighs and a 38" waist, was about 5-11/230 in college.  Him and Russell Erxleban used to come in get their clothes there......they were bigger than normal and required special orders.