🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Same was said on A couple Horns sites. The guy saying it was a real estate agent evidently

Maybe that's where my brother's buddy Rodney got it......I dunno.  All I know is he called me this afternoon and told me about it.  We've been talking about Herman and gettin' rid of him for 2 yrs now.

9 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

He must read HornSports or Inside Texas.  Or has friends that do 

Lol. I can’t understand why a guy like Urban Meyer, with the $$ he’s already made, would give up whatever TV gig he has to go back to coaching full time. The long days, grueling travel, and stress that comes with running a major program has to wear on someone. Keep in mind the guy already has some serious health issues that he has to manage. Couple that with the sometimes unreasonable expectations of a fan base like Texas has, and it’s a recipe for an early grave. What would he have left to prove? That he can return a program to its glory days? He’s done that twice. I just don’t get it. And if he does take the job and the Horns still wind up mediocre because the chemistry isn’t there? What then? 

• Like 1

It ain't the money, obviously.......it's something else......like bringing back Texas to a National Championship on his record before he retires.  But anyone who gets Texas gets the Big $$$ with it......it's considered one of the premier positions in all of college football.  But who knows.......the way things are transpiring out there in La La Land we may not even see another season of College Football.

14 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

It ain't the money, obviously.......it's something else......like bringing back Texas to a National Championship on his record before he retires.  But anyone who gets Texas gets the Big $$$ with it......it's considered one of the premier positions in all of college football.  But who knows.......the way things are transpiring out there in La La Land we may not even see another season of College Football.

If you want to believe that UT is a premier program, go ahead. I guess that depends on how you define premier program. I say that the top 5 programs in the nation are premier, and Texas is not there. Yes they can throw a load of money at someone. But that doesn’t translate into wins or championships. If he’s lost that competitive edge, it’s just another expensive screw-up that makes everyone there look stupid. 

57 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

If you want to believe that UT is a premier program, go ahead. I guess that depends on how you define premier program. I say that the top 5 programs in the nation are premier, and Texas is not there. Yes they can throw a load of money at someone. But that doesn’t translate into wins or championships. If he’s lost that competitive edge, it’s just another expensive screw-up that makes everyone there look stupid. 

I never said premier program......you did.  I said premier position.......there's a big difference in those two terms.

6 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

I never said premier program......you did.  I said premier position.......there's a big difference in those two terms.

Nobody ever said they weren't stupid or asinine or arrogant at UT........because history shows that they have been in the past and most probably will continue that way in the future the way they throw money around in their athletics hirings. Especially and above all to the nth degree their Head Football Coach hires. Just insane monies for some really bad hires. Charlie Strong???  Come on!!  And then Tom Herman.......give me a break.

6 hours ago, regaleagle said:

If making under qualified coaches into millionaires through the stupidity of the administration and the unrealistic expectations of the fan base and alumni makes it a premier place position, then I agree. Hey since you’re so well connected, do you think my 5 years as Admissions Counselor at the Nick Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic, combined with 6 years as a moderator on SDC would give me a shot at the job once Herman is canned? I’ll only need about $20 million over 6 years with a $5 million buyout. That’s a bargain by today’s standards, and the chances of winning a National championship with me are every bit as high as Urban Meyer taking the job. 

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Nobody ever said they weren't stupid or asinine or arrogant at UT........because history shows that they have been in the past and most probably will continue that way in the future the way they throw money around in their athletics hirings. Especially and above all to the nth degree their Head Football Coach hires. Just insane monies for some really bad hires. Charlie Strong???  Come on!!  And then Tom Herman.......give me a break.

The right coach stops a lot of these blue chip Texas kids from going to Alabama and Ohio State.  Meyer does just that.  

Charlie Strong was hired by an AD that shouldn’t have been there.  That AD was hired to push out coaches that had gotten stale.  He did the dirty work for Powers so Powers didn’t have to.  

meyer may have health problems, but evidently they’re not the reason he isn’t coaching.  They’ve been used as an excuse before.  

Texas wasn’t the only program looking to hire Tom Herman at the time either. He was one of the hottest young coaches in the country.  I personally think he lost his edge once he got to Texas.  Instead of being aggressive (which he has been at times), he started playing not to lose.  It cost him.  Now he’s crossed with the people that financially back the athletics program.  

so if Saban retired today, you’d think it’s asanine to offer Dabo or Urban (the other two best proven coaches) more money than they’re making to stay a premier program?  Or you’d be okay with dwindling to mediocrity?

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

If making under qualified coaches into millionaires through the stupidity of the administration and the unrealistic expectations of the fan base and alumni makes it a premier place position, then I agree. Hey since you’re so well connected, do you think my 5 years as Admissions Counselor at the Nick Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic, combined with 6 years as a moderator on SDC would give me a shot at the job once Herman is canned? I’ll only need about $20 million over 6 years with a $5 million buyout. That’s a bargain by today’s standards, and the chances of winning a National championship with me are every bit as high as Urban Meyer taking the job. 

Once again, I think it’s funny a former Lsu fan wants to tell everybody how to be a good fan since Bama is the cat’s meow now.  And Urban Meyer has forgotten more about football in one week than you think you know!!  Lol

19 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Once again, I think it’s funny a former Lsu fan wants to tell everybody how to be a good fan since Bama is the cat’s meow now.  And Urban Meyer has forgotten more about football in one week than you think you know!!  Lol

I’m disappointed that my neighbor knows so little about me. I’ve never been a lsu fan. I’ve been a BAMA fan since birth. And also, I never said I was more qualified than Urban. I said my chances of winning a natty at UT were higher than the likelihood of him taking the job. But carry on friend. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m disappointed that my neighbor knows so little about me. I’ve never been a lsu fan. I’ve been a BAMA fan since birth. And also, I never said I was more qualified than Urban. I said my chances of winning a natty at UT were higher than the likelihood of him taking the job. But carry on friend. 

Lol, I seem to remember you wearing LSU garb years back.  Maybe that was to appease the church members you sat with?

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Lol, I seem to remember you wearing LSU garb years back.  Maybe that was to appease the church members you sat with?

You are mistaken friend. I might have worn a Logansport High School hoodie when I was supporting some kids I went to church with, but as far as college football goes, I’ve always been a BAMA fan. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

You are mistaken friend. I might have worn a Logansport High School hoodie when I was supporting some kids I went to church with, but as far as college football goes, I’ve always been a BAMA fan. 

Ok, maybe that’s it.  

6 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I saw a headline on Google Sports that Urban's wife was looking at house's in Austin...not joking. I did a double take...seemed like the old joke we always make.

For some reason I feel like I've heard this before but can't quite put my finger on it.

• LOL! 1

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Lol. I can’t understand why a guy like Urban Meyer, with the $$ he’s already made, would give up whatever TV gig he has to go back to coaching full time. The long days, grueling travel, and stress that comes with running a major program has to wear on someone. Keep in mind the guy already has some serious health issues that he has to manage. Couple that with the sometimes unreasonable expectations of a fan base like Texas has, and it’s a recipe for an early grave. What would he have left to prove? That he can return a program to its glory days? He’s done that twice. I just don’t get it. And if he does take the job and the Horns still wind up mediocre because the chemistry isn’t there? What then? 

I agree with you but, at the same time, if (and that's a biiiiig IF) Meyer were to go to Texas and IF he were to bring them to a national championship, I gotta say he'd belong in the conversation for the best ever, even moreso than the Great Satan, in my view. 

But yeah, at the same he could forever tarnish his legacy if he goes to UT and they remain second-fiddle to OU. 

Just now, LOL said:

I agree with you but, at the same time, if (and that's a biiiiig IF) Meyer were to go to Texas and IF he were to bring them to a national championship, I gotta say he'd belong in the conversation for the best ever, even moreso than the Great Satan, in my view. 

But yeah, at the same he could forever tarnish his legacy if he goes to UT and they remain second-fiddle to OU. 

I feel like his legacy is already tarnished to some extent, and UT could be his chance at "redemption". His coaching tree hasn't been spectacular in Austin (Herman, Strong, Ash), and maybe he needs to show it was those guys and not him....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I believe he already does, and is. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, topher805 said:

His Fulmer Cup trophies are what keep him behind Saban IMO

I meant that I believe he already belongs, and is in the conversation as best coaches ever...based solely on his onfield performance. 

As for comparing he and Saban, I don't think he's far behind in that either. IF Meyer coached again (anywhere) and won another NC, I believe that would put him above Saban. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

He’s already done it twice 

14 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

man, usually it's the urge of the competition. I've been a head college coach in a different sport for nearly 15 years...have had good success. came to a HS "for family reasons" and now am not coaching...have looked around and each year been saying I'm going back (because I desperately miss the competition and miss building the great teams) , but now after six years and having a beautiful schedule and great administration around me and not coaching either HS or college, realizing I have a "life" now...not recruiting until well after midnight every night (I genuinely worked at least 355 days a year (always during vacays because you were somewhere a recruit was)...it was hard to ever mentally turn it off...cost me 2 marriages)...this past year I actually decided early that it would have to be the perfect job to pry me out of the position I'm in, so who knows if I will coach again. 

so the answer is the building URGE OF COMPETITION and the FAMILY ASPECT OF TEAM is a tough thing for successful college coaches to walk away from!

I never understand why people make the argument, 'Why would he leave his job in the booth to return to coaching'. 

Think about what you're asking....Why would a COACH leave a NON coaching job to return to COACH. Maybe it's because that's what he loves to do. Maybe it's because regardless of anything else, THAT remains his #1 passion. 

How many coaches start their first job making millions of dollars? Heck, how many coaches go on to make millions of dollars? Most coaches start out making very little, and understand that to be the case, but do it anyway because it's what they love to do. 

• Like 2