🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

54 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I meant that I believe he already belongs, and is in the conversation as best coaches ever...based solely on his onfield performance. 

As for comparing he and Saban, I don't think he's far behind in that either. IF Meyer coached again (anywhere) and won another NC, I believe that would put him above Saban. 

On the field? Absolutely he belongs in the same conversation. The results speak for themselves. The quick turnaround at Bowling Green, the success at Utah, the nattys at Florida at Ohio State, the man is a winner. Shady? Yup. However, if you want to win, there are few better out there right now...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

I never understand why people make the argument, 'Why would he leave his job in the booth to return to coaching'. 

Think about what you're asking....Why would a COACH leave a NON coaching job to return to COACH. Maybe it's because that's what he loves to do. Maybe it's because regardless of anything else, THAT remains his #1 passion. 

Yeah, I can co-sign this. It may be the foolishness of a 40-year-old man speaking here, but I have a hard time imagining myself in retirement. I want to do what I do until I'm dead. I bet Meyer watches games now and it just kills him to see coaches making boneheaded decisions. 

Sure, TV commentating is a SWEET gig with very little pressure, but also very little reward. Meyer probably has more money right now than he could ever spend. But dude is a coach. One of the best in the modern era, and (as we've mentioned) worthy of being considered among the greatest ever. 

If you've got that kind of fire inside you, it's hard to just sit on the sidelines. 

• Like 2

So question if Meyer is the guy that Texas ends up hiring do you all think he keeps the guys from his tree on staff.  Would he try to bring Herman back or keep Herman in some capacity after all he is from his tree.  Then you have the running backs coach, oc, and dc who all have some ties with Meyer.  That would possibly save some dough on the buyouts or would he replace the entire staff... thoughts??? This is assuming Herman is let go and Meyer accepts.

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I never understand why people make the argument, 'Why would he leave his job in the booth to return to coaching'. 

Think about what you're asking....Why would a COACH leave a NON coaching job to return to COACH. Maybe it's because that's what he loves to do. Maybe it's because regardless of anything else, THAT remains his #1 passion. 

How many coaches start their first job making millions of dollars? Heck, how many coaches go on to make millions of dollars? Most coaches start out making very little, and understand that to be the case, but do it anyway because it's what they love to do. 

Some people don’t want him to go to Texas, mainly Ohio state and Alabama fans.  Because he’ll start keeping Texas kids in Texas.  He’s a dominant recruiter.  He’s pulled a many a kid away from Texas during his time at Ohio State.  He knew what Texas was lacking, a coach like him.  TrueBlue is worried if hired, Urban will cut off the easy pipeline Bama had into Texas.  

59 minutes ago, oldschool32 said:

So question if Meyer is the guy that Texas ends up hiring do you all think he keeps the guys from his tree on staff.  Would he try to bring Herman back or keep Herman in some capacity after all he is from his tree.  Then you have the running backs coach, oc, and dc who all have some ties with Meyer.  That would possibly save some dough on the buyouts or would he replace the entire staff... thoughts??? This is assuming Herman is let go and Meyer accepts.

He and Herman aren’t friends much anymore.  Which, to me, is another reason I think He takes the job.  He’d love  nothing more than to win a conference title in the first two years with Herman’s players and run it in his face

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, oldschool32 said:

If Meyer is the guy, he's smart enough to demand major $$$ for his assistants and (since money is no object) I'm sure he'd be able to draw upon his considerable connections throughout the country to put together a killer staff. Shoot, he might even be able to pull in a couple of the current guys at Ohio State. 

And if UT is going all-in on Meyer, there's plenty of alumni dollars to pay for any and all of the buyouts necessary. I doubt very seriously Meyer would keep anyone from Herman's staff.

In addition, Herman would be tainted by his failures (and the occasional snipings between the two in the media), so no, Meyer would not keep him on. Unless he went full Machiavelli and offered Tom a low-paying job as "analyst." I mean, yeah, that's what I'd do, but I doubt Urban is as much a prick as I am. 

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Some people don’t want him to go to Texas, mainly Ohio state and Alabama fans.  Because he’ll start keeping Texas kids in Texas.  He’s a dominant recruiter.  He’s pulled a many a kid away from Texas during his time at Ohio State.  He knew what Texas was lacking, a coach like him.  TrueBlue is worried if hired, Urban will cut off the easy pipeline Bama had into Texas.  

Ol’ Trueblue might worry about some stuff, but Urban Meyer coming to UT and building a Nick Saban style dynasty ain’t one of ‘em. IF it happens, he’ll be there long enough to win a ring, and then he’ll leave the program in a dumpster fire. It’s taken Florida 10 years to recover from him. Ohio State got back a lot quicker, but even in their joke of a conference they’re not the dominant force that they were. If anyone is scared, it’s Urban. He left Florida to get out of the conference Nick was in. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Ol’ Trueblue might worry about some stuff, but Urban Meyer coming to UT and building a Nick Saban style dynasty ain’t one of ‘em. IF it happens, he’ll be there long enough to win a ring, and then he’ll leave the program in a dumpster fire. It’s taken Florida 10 years to recover from him. Ohio State got back a lot quicker, but even in their joke of a conference they’re not the dominant force that they were. If anyone is scared, it’s Urban. He left Florida to get out of the conference Nick was in. 

Florida hired an up and comer DC then another up and comer to follow him.  Two bad hires followed.  Both of those coaches were too unproven just like Strong and Herman.  That’s why the 10 years of mediocrity 

57 minutes ago, LOL said:

If Meyer is the guy, he's smart enough to demand major $$$ for his assistants and (since money is no object) I'm sure he'd be able to draw upon his considerable connections throughout the country to put together a killer staff. Shoot, he might even be able to pull in a couple of the current guys at Ohio State. 

And if UT is going all-in on Meyer, there's plenty of alumni dollars to pay for any and all of the buyouts necessary. I doubt very seriously Meyer would keep anyone from Herman's staff.

In addition, Herman would be tainted by his failures (and the occasional snipings between the two in the media), so no, Meyer would not keep him on. Unless he went full Machiavelli and offered Tom a low-paying job as "analyst." I mean, yeah, that's what I'd do, but I doubt Urban is as much a #### as I am. 

Analyst would be epic.  He speaks very highly of the DC though which is interesting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, oldschool32 said:

He speaks very highly of the DC though which is interesting.

To be honest, I have only a vague idea of what former Buckeye/Urban staffers are at UT now. I'll defer to y'all on what (if any) former staffers would stay if Urban was hired. 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Florida hired an up and comer DC then another up and comer to follow him.  Two bad hires followed.  Both of those coaches were too unproven just like Strong and Herman.  That’s why the 10 years of mediocrity 

Ok. Hey I know y’all are all in on this Urban Meyer thing, and that’s cool. However, on the off chance that it doesn’t work out, in the spirit of sportsmanship, I would like to extend an olive branch of sorts. Through my extensive connections within the Nick Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic, I have procured the perfect candidate for the UT job. For a meager finder’s fee of $1.7 million, I can deliver one Butch Jones to the Longhorns. He is nearing completion of his 3 years at the NSCRC, and our counselors assure me that he has made amazing progress. You can expect a much more innovative offense than he produced at the last UT he worked at, and our media relations coaches say he should commit no more than one gaffe per season. Butch is prepared to assume the Head Horn position for $20 million over 5 years, with a $10 million buyout. We are working on a package deal to include a defensive coordinator, but at this time we are having difficulty locating a DC who hasn’t already been employed at UT. Will Muschamp flat out turned us down over the thought of facing Lincoln Riley every year. At this point, our best hope is for Tennessee to go ahead and fire Jeremy Pruitt, which would be really convenient because he and Butch both already have a full wardrobe of orange polos with a big T on them. The fact that they will look like a pair of garbage collectors standing in pile of dog vomit shouldn’t bother anyone, should it? 

4 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Ok. Hey I know y’all are all in on this Urban Meyer thing, and that’s cool. However, on the off chance that it doesn’t work out, in the spirit of sportsmanship, I would like to extend an olive branch of sorts. Through my extensive connections within the Nick Saban Coach Rehabilitation Clinic, I have procured the perfect candidate for the UT job. For a meager finder’s fee of $1.7 million, I can deliver one Butch Jones to the Longhorns. He is nearing completion of his 3 years at the NSCRC, and our counselors assure me that he has made amazing progress. You can expect a much more innovative offense than he produced at the last UT he worked at, and our media relations coaches say he should commit no more than one gaffe per season. Butch is prepared to assume the Head Horn position for $20 million over 5 years, with a $10 million buyout. We are working on a package deal to include a defensive coordinator, but at this time we are having difficulty locating a DC who hasn’t already been employed at UT. Will Muschamp flat out turned us down over the thought of facing Lincoln Riley every year. At this point, our best hope is for Tennessee to go ahead and fire Jeremy Pruitt, which would be really convenient because he and Butch both already have a full wardrobe of orange polos with a big T on them. The fact that they will look like a pair of garbage collectors standing in pile of dog vomit shouldn’t bother anyone, should it? 

What is it with you Bama bandwagoners pretending to know Saban?  Much less acting like you could ever have any sway over his staff

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

What is it with you Bama bandwagoners pretending to know Saban?  Much less acting like you could ever have any sway over his staff

Bandwagonneers? I was rooting for BAMA before you were a twinkle in your daddy’s eye. I’m trying to help. The ultimate wet dream for you horns fans is Saban in Austin, which we all know ain’t gonna happen. I’m offering you the next best thing: someone from the Saban coaching tree. If y’all can’t see what a great offer that is, that explains the stench of mediocrity that emanates from the 40 acres. 

2 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Bandwagonneers? I was rooting for BAMA before you were a twinkle in your daddy’s eye. I’m trying to help. The ultimate wet dream for you horns fans is Saban in Austin, which we all know ain’t gonna happen. I’m offering you the next best thing: someone from the Saban coaching tree. If y’all can’t see what a great offer that is, that explains the stench of mediocrity that emanates from the 40 acres. 

Muschamp is from the Saban coaching tree.  He failed.

Jim McElwain coached under Saban.  He stunk.   

Maryland’s Coach Locksley is a Saban guy.  He stinks.

there are several more.  Maybe they need to just rehab a little longer. 

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Muschamp is from the Saban coaching tree.  He failed.

Jim McElwain coached under Saban.  He stunk.   

Maryland’s Coach Locksley is a Saban guy.  He stinks.

there are several more.  Maybe they need to just rehab a little longer. 

Why so bitter? I’m only trying to do the neighborly thing and help out where I see a need! 

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

Why so bitter? I’m only trying to do the neighborly thing and help out where I see a need! 

Lol, Saban is obviously a great coach. I think he’s a better mentor for coaches though.  He can’t make them do right once they leave though 

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Lol, Saban is obviously a great coach. I think he’s a better mentor for coaches though.  He can’t make them do right once they leave though 

Also can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Muschamp is an outstanding DC. Good defensive mind and a good motivator. He seems clueless as a HC. Just not a great leader I guess. He might have benefited from some time as a HC in a less competitive league, idk. Pruitt looks very similar. Kirby shows some of the same tendencies, but not to the extent of the other two. McElwain probably isn’t cut out for a job like Florida. Maybe a G-5 HC, but that’s it. Jury’s still out on Locksley. He walked into a dumpster fire. 

22 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Also can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. Muschamp is an outstanding DC. Good defensive mind and a good motivator. He seems clueless as a HC. Just not a great leader I guess. He might have benefited from some time as a HC in a less competitive league, idk. Pruitt looks very similar. Kirby shows some of the same tendencies, but not to the extent of the other two. McElwain probably isn’t cut out for a job like Florida. Maybe a G-5 HC, but that’s it. Jury’s still out on Locksley. He walked into a dumpster fire. 

Muschamp, Kirby, Pruitt.  All need to learn to let go of the reigns offensively.  They’re scared to put an athlete at qb and let them play ball.  Kirby smart should be fired for letting Fields go to play the other guy that was a game manager at best.  

9 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Muschamp, Kirby, Pruitt.  All need to learn to let go of the reigns offensively.  They’re scared to put an athlete at qb and let them play ball.  Kirby smart should be fired for letting Fields go to play the other guy that was a game manager at best.  

Saban had to learn that too. He just has so much talent on his team that a “learning” year for him is still a two loss season.

10 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Saban had to learn that too. He just has so much talent on his team that a “learning” year for him is still a two loss season.

Yep.  When you have a dynamic offense you don’t have to be perfect in executing your game plan.  With a possession style offense you tend to have to be extremely efficient with the drives you get.  

21 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Yeah there’s a bunch of UGA fans still mad about that. Their next athletic QB, D’wan Mathis, entered the transfer portal this week. I think Kirby is still tied to the way BAMA played offense when he was there. Game manager QB (McElroy, McCarron, Coker), power run game with play action pass off of it, and lights out defense. Saban changed with the game. Kirby hasn’t caught up yet. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Yeah there’s a bunch of UGA fans still mad about that. Their next athletic QB, D’wan Mathis, entered the transfer portal this week. I think Kirby is still tied to the way BAMA played offense when he was there. Game manager QB (McElroy, McCarron, Coker), power run game with play action pass off of it, and lights out defense. Saban changed with the game. Kirby hasn’t caught up yet. 

They should be mad.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:10 AM, DB2point0 said:

The right coach stops a lot of these blue chip Texas kids from going to Alabama and Ohio State.  Meyer does just that.  

Charlie Strong was hired by an AD that shouldn’t have been there.  That AD was hired to push out coaches that had gotten stale.  He did the dirty work for Powers so Powers didn’t have to.  

meyer may have health problems, but evidently they’re not the reason he isn’t coaching.  They’ve been used as an excuse before.  

Texas wasn’t the only program looking to hire Tom Herman at the time either. He was one of the hottest young coaches in the country.  I personally think he lost his edge once he got to Texas.  Instead of being aggressive (which he has been at times), he started playing not to lose.  It cost him.  Now he’s crossed with the people that financially back the athletics program.  

so if Saban retired today, you’d think it’s asanine to offer Dabo or Urban (the other two best proven coaches) more money than they’re making to stay a premier program?  Or you’d be okay with dwindling to mediocrity?

I done bolded and highlighted the first point made and one of the main reasons I am all in on landing Meyer.

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I done bolded and highlighted the first point made and one of the main reasons I am all in on landing Meyer.

That’s the reason ole TrueBlue doesn’t like that.  Saban has pulled a lot of kids from Texas that were difference makers for him