๐ŸŸ  Longhorns 2020 thread

7 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Thatโ€™s the reason ole TrueBlue doesnโ€™t like that. ย Saban has pulled a lot of kids from Texas that were difference makers for him

And he will continue getting a majority of the kids he wants. Iโ€™ll give you that a top-notch recruiter like Urban will keep some of those kids in state, but kids today are hard to fool. A lot of them will look at Urbanaโ€™s record of 4-5 years in one spot and bailing and look elsewhere. No matter how smooth Urban talks, he canโ€™t manufacture more rings. The only guy with more rings than Nick Saban is buried about 150 yards from his office and has his own museum there.ย 

5 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

And he will continue getting a majority of the kids he wants. Iโ€™ll give you that a top-notch recruiter like Urban will keep some of those kids in state, but kids today are hard to fool. A lot of them will look at Urbanaโ€™s record of 4-5 years in one spot and bailing and look elsewhere. No matter how smooth Urban talks, he canโ€™t manufacture more rings. The only guy with more rings than Nick Saban is buried about 150 yards from his office and has his own museum there.ย 

Youโ€™re saying he wonโ€™t produce another championship? ย Thatโ€™s highly possible. ย 

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Youโ€™re saying he wonโ€™t produce another championship? ย Thatโ€™s highly possible. ย 

Heโ€™ll need at least 3-4 more to catch Nick. I donโ€™t think he will stay long enough to do that. And when he leaves, youโ€™re assuming that the UT administration follows him with a home run hire. The same school that has made two quality hires in your lifetime. So, you throw the bank at Urban to get 5 good years and 1-2 rings. HOOK โ€˜EM!ย 

57 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Heโ€™ll need at least 3-4 more to catch Nick. I donโ€™t think he will stay long enough to do that. And when he leaves, youโ€™re assuming that the UT administration follows him with a home run hire. The same school that has made two quality hires in your lifetime. So, you throw the bank at Urban to get 5 good years and 1-2 rings. HOOK โ€˜EM!ย 

๐Ÿค˜

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Couple of responses to this.

1) I disagree that Meyer needs 3-4 more to catch Saban. If youโ€™re referring strictly to number of rings, then yes. If youโ€™re saying he needs 3-4 more to be on the same level, then I disagree.ย 
2) Itโ€™s been 10 years already since Texas was truly relevant, and as it appears right now, that isnโ€™t changing anytime soon. So if Meyer were to come in, give 5 years with 1-2 rings (which would be 5 great years, not just good), then I think any program in the country would sign up for that.ย 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

So if Meyer were to come in, give 5 years with 1-2 rings (which would be 5 great years, not just good), then I think any program in the country would sign up for that.ย 

To be fair: if you could guarantee Urban could win 2 nattys and give OU five great seasons, I'd trade him for Riley. Straight up.ย 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Alabama before Nick did not do so good in hiring also. Now Nick is getting on up there in age and won't be there forever. Let's wait and see if they go and hire another Curry or Shula to take his place. Roll Tide.

1 minute ago, 514 said:

Alabama before Nick did not do so good in hiring also. Now Nick is getting on up there in age and won't be there forever. Let's wait and see if they go and hire another Curry or Shula to take his place. Roll Tide.

I thought they were getting there with Shula, it was a bit gradual (probably too "gradual" for 'Bama nation), but they seemed to be getting there. Obviously they couldn't pass up Saban when the opportunity presented itself.ย 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

To be fair: if you could guarantee Urban could win 2 nattys and give OU five great seasons, I'd trade him for Riley. Straight up.ย 

Right! Who wouldnโ€™t, lol. I mean, other than Clemson and Bama, Iโ€™d bet anyone in the country would.ย 
ย 

• Like 1

I really don't mean to knock on Shula to hard but he is not Nick. My point is that it can be hit and miss going after the homerun hires. One never knows what your going to get right out of the bat and will the admin have the patience to wait like VT on Beamer or FSU on Bowden. Bama has not been perfect in this process either. They struckย Gold with Nick and the Bear. Texas stuck gold with Royal and did just Ok with Mack.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 514 said:

I really don't mean to knock on Shula to hard but he is not Nick. My point is that it can be hit and miss going after the homerun hires. One never knows what your going to get right out of the bat and will the admin have the patience to wait like VT on Beamer or FSU on Bowden. Bama has not been perfect in this process either. They struckย Gold with Nick and the Bear. Texas stuck gold with Royal and did just Ok with Mack.

Same with Dabo. It took about 6 years before Clemson became the power theyโ€™ve been the last 5.ย 

12 minutes ago, 514 said:

You bet your ### they did. OU shoulda hired Royal in 1960. Bud had obviously peaked, and Royal was scorching hot after bringing Texas back to the Cotton Bowl. The regents could've money-whipped him to come back to his alma mater.ย 

1 minute ago, LOL said:

You bet your ### they did. OU shoulda hired Royal in 1960. Bud had obviously peaked, and Royal was scorching hot after bringing Texas back to the Cotton Bowl. The regents could've money-whipped him to come back to his alma mater.ย 

I always wondered why OU did not pursue him hard to come back to OU, maybe they did though backdoor channels I don't know. I think deep down Royal was just loyal to Texas for sticking with him though the good and bad times. He was just a honest to good person who felt loyal.ย 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 514 said:

I always wondered why OU did not pursue him hard to come back to OU, maybe they did though backdoor channels I don't know. I think deep down Royal was just loyal to Texas for sticking with him though the good and bad times. He was just a honest to good person who felt loyal.ย 

It was pretty much a mutual thing...ย  Bud wanted his longtime assistant Gomer Jones to follow him, and Royal was apprehensive about following a legend. I think he wanted to build *his* program, without being beholden to his mentor.ย 

And then once Gomer flamed out, OU tried to backchannel a deal, but by then it was the mid-60s and Royal had UT rolling.ย 

1 minute ago, LOL said:

It was pretty much a mutual thing...ย  Bud wanted his longtime assistant Gomer Jones to follow him, and Royal was apprehensive about following a legend. I think he wanted to build *his* program, without being beholden to his mentor.ย 

And then once Gomer flamed out, OU tried to backchannel a deal, but by then it was the mid-60s and Royal had UT rolling.ย 

ย 

I got to talk to Royal about 20 years ago at coaching school. It was great. Easy guy to talk to. So humble.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 514 said:

I got to talk to Royal about 20 years ago at coaching school. It was great. Easy guy to talk to. So humble.

He was a great one. Unfairly maligned over the whole segregation deal, in my opinion. Was a great man, and Sooner.ย