🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

57 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Rumor going around the Horns247 board is Urban planning on sticking with Fox.

I mean he may still end up in austin so this is all null and void if he doesn't, but I've always thought it was a stretch to begin with. There's no doubt he was the top target but has there been any indication from Meyers side that this was something he wanted? The only real smoke to this seems more like click bait than anything else. 

If we are assuming he doesn't end up in Austin, who's next? Is there anybody out there they could realistically hire that moves the needle worth the money youre going to have to dish out for a coaching turnover? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

The question is, was he successful? Did he save his job? What if they win out and go win a bowl game? Does he get another year? 

They'll win a bowl game. Herman is good when he has time to prepare. Remember when he beat OU in early 2016?

Whether he gets another year? I dunno. His buyout for him and his assistants would be around $25 million. That's literally a third of Jimbo's entire contract, which they've gloated about being too expensive. 

Chip Brown- 

The possibility of three-time national championship coach Urban Meyer ending up at Texas appears to have come to an end after Meyer indicated to Texas he's leaning toward not coaching again due to health reasons, a university source told Horns247. Horns247 reported Sunday if Texas couldn't land Meyer, there’s a chance Tom Herman will remain as coach of the Texas Longhorns.

"There was an opportunity here too good not to pursue with Urban (Meyer)," the university source said. "If he's a definite no, we just need to step back and assess."

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I mean he may still end up in austin so this is all null and void if he doesn't, but I've always thought it was a stretch to begin with. There's no doubt he was the top target but has there been any indication from Meyers side that this was something he wanted? The only real smoke to this seems more like click bait than anything else. 

If we are assuming he doesn't end up in Austin, who's next? Is there anybody out there they could realistically hire that moves the needle worth the money youre going to have to dish out for a coaching turnover? 

No.

53 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Rumored coaches that Texas has researched according to Chip Brown’s story.

Steve “Sark After Dark” Sarkisian

Mario Cristobal 

James Franklin

Matt Campbell

As bad as I hate to say it, I’d stay with Herman before any of those.  Campbell is a nice up and comer, but you’re 4 years deep on an up and comer now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

As bad as I hate to say it, I’d stay with Herman before any of those.  Campbell is a nice up and comer, but you’re 4 years deep on an up and comer now. 

Campbell has achieved the same things at Iowa State in a four year period that Herman has at Texas.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Campbell has achieved the same things at Iowa State in a four year period that Herman has at Texas.

Exactly, why start all over with much of the same.  He’ll hire a new staff, have to teach a new philosophy on both sides of the ball.  Herman needs to learn better in game strategy and adjustment, along with allowing his OC to make the calls.

13 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

If that’s the replacement list, I’d almost be willing to bring Herman back. Call this year a Covid year and see what he does in ‘21. 

35 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Also the dude is a little strange. As in the media would eat him alive. 

It takes a special kind of coach to survive in some places. Texas got so lucky with mack brown that was a media sweetheart and knew how to handle the donors. Campbell is not that guy. I also am not convinced he can recruit or handle the drama of big name recruits. He appears to be a no nonsense type of guy that thrives with 3 stars and lower in the midwest but would rub many high profile guys the wrong way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Exactly, why start all over with much of the same.  He’ll hire a new staff, have to teach a new philosophy on both sides of the ball.  Herman needs to learn better in game strategy and adjustment, along with allowing his OC to make the calls.

Let’s me say that again. 

Campbell with the #57 ranked “talent” roster has accomplished just as much in fours years as Herman who has the  #5 ranked “talent” roster. 

These men are not equals.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, WETSU said:

It takes a special kind of coach to survive in some places. Texas got so lucky with mack brown that was a media sweetheart and knew how to handle the donors. Campbell is not that guy. I also am not convinced he can recruit or handle the drama of big name recruits. He appears to be a no nonsense type of guy that thrives with 3 stars and lower in the midwest but would rub many high profile guys the wrong way. 

Now this I agree with, but Campbell can coach circles around Herman. 

I think Campbell is the guy for Michigan.

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Every coach has their own antics and personality.  He doesn’t strike me as a Texas kinda guy either.  I think he’s better as an underdog kinda coach

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coach0001 said:

I think James Franklin would be a homerun...

Really? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire at Penn State, and I would argue their culture is much less demanding than UT's. 

What case would you make that he's anything more than a lateral move from Herman? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Valhalla said:

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Campbell with the #57 ranked “talent” roster has accomplished just as much in fours years as Herman who has the  #5 ranked “talent” roster. 

If Riley were to jump to the NFL, I would be going all out for Campbell. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LOL said:

If Riley were to jump to the NFL, I would be going all out for Campbell. 

What about that young and up coming assistant coach who ran practices while Riley was out last week? I think he could have some “big games” ahead of him.

• LOL! 1

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Let’s me say that again. 

These men are not equals.

I knew what you meant, and I agree.

Texas took their shot at the top free agent with legit health concerns and couldn’t (apparently) pursued him to come out of retirement. Can’t be upset with that. 

Campbell would be a good hire. His coordinator picks would be very important. He’d need to hire stud recruiters and he’s not ready for the Texas media circus but he’s an upgrade over Herman. 

I’ll probably get mocked for this but...The best hire is a guy that can recruit very well. He would handle media and donors as well as Mack and he’s a good x and o guy. He won’t get a look because he doesn’t have P5 coaching experience but Jeff Traylor would be the best hire. I don’t know what kind of staff he would be able to put together but he would be a great recruiter, great with media/donors, and if he could hire great coordinators he be a great CEO type coach. 

• Like 2

Here's the thing, simply needing a better coach is not the only issue for Texas right now. They are losing Top in state talent to out of state programs, and not even to out of state in conference programs. And some of the guys they are losing grew up loving the Longhorns. 

Mario Cristabol, James Franklin, Matt Campbell are all three good coaches. Are they great? IDK that I'd say that. What I do believe, however, is that neither of them would be the type of excitement hire to recruits to get some of these kids, like a Quinn Ewers for example, to reconsider Texas. A guy like Urban Meyer would absolutely do that. 

So if you can't get Urban, I'm not sure what point exactly there would be to make a change right now; even if we do all believe Herman isn't the guy. 

• Like 2