The Smoakhouse Forums

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

It's not just Herman though. Strong had to recruit heavily out of state as well, for this very reason. 

As I've said many times in recent years, I'm just tired of seeing so many Texas kids go out of state. You go anywhere in Texas, and everyone has their Texas pride, except HS athletes apparently. 

Herman is the coach now, Strong is gone.  These misses fall squarely on tom.  

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw this today and thought I would share. This is awesome. 👏👏

But where’s he going to transfer from?

So I shouldn’t expect to hear rap songs about killing cops, killing whities or selling drugs in the stadium anymore.  I’m all for doing away with the song if it offends certain folks, but what’s good

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I think the kids now just don’t have Texas pride like we did when we were growing up. 
I actually think very few of them have pride for their home state wherever that may be.
Kids are just different nowadays. If Texas were dominant right now I think they’d be Longhorns, but only because the Longhorns are up (if they were up like they have been in the past).

These guys just don’t have pride in their home state like people used to. Sad.

If I were one of the top football players in the country I probably would not have many folks on my visits list outside of Texas, truly. I’d want to play for a Texas university.

I think Tom leaned on the fact that their dad was an alumni and their brother was already on campus.  It but him in the butt.  The one position you have to recruit well every year in and Texas has not done great.  They’ve done okay and developed well.  Texas needs to start winning the conference and making the playoffs before they start recruiting top notch lineman.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

You’ve gotta look at positional needs and not just recruiting rankings.  Signing a ton is skill kids can cover up a lack of top OL and DL.  And so far Texas has lacked in re rioting really well up front.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

That brings up another point...

For several years now, people have argued, 'Well Texas doesn't develop their talent'. And for several years, I believed that as well. Until I looked at it from another perspective, that is.

It's easy(er) to send multiple players to the NFL every year when you bring in the best players in the country each year. It's much harder, and much more challenging to do it with lesser talent. Yes, Texas has brought in a few big name players in recent years, but look at the star rating for those players going pro. Most of them were 3 and 4 star players. 

Can they do better, of course. But they aren't as bad as made out to be.

You don’t get to Bama and clemson status by developing 3 and 4 star guys.  You do it by landing top players and developing them.  That’s how those programs stay on top.  Their backups and third string would start for several otheR good teams.

Just now, DB2point0 said:

You don’t get to Bama and clemson status by developing 3 and 4 star guys.  You do it by landing top players and developing them.  That’s how those programs stay on top.  Their backups and third string would start for several otheR good teams.

I would be willing to bet if you that Texas has a higher recruiting class ranking average for the last decade than Clemson.

1 hour ago, MavGrad99 said:

he has to win more or he will be seen as a failure.  The thing is, who are realistic better options?  Dabo, Saban, etc... you aren't stealing those guys.  You can money whip Big 10 coaches into coming here, but that style of football hasn't won in the B12 for a long time.

If Les miles wasn’t so stubborn he’d be on your list.  That man could recruit too.  

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

I would be willing to bet if you that Texas has a higher recruiting class ranking average for the last decade than Clemson.

Clemson’s rise was sudden, and they’re proving to stay due to their recruiting.  You may be right

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You’ve gotta look at positional needs and not just recruiting rankings.  Signing a ton is skill kids can cover up a lack of top OL and DL.  And so far Texas has lacked in re rioting really well up front.

No they haven't.  They signed four(4) 4* OL just this past cycle.  Year before they got Tyler Johnson who was a 5* until he didn't attend any camps + Hookfin and a JUCO.  Yes, they've missed on OL this class so far.

And how has DL recruiting been bad?  Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, Collins, Ossai would have been takes for a lot of big time programs and they already have the best DE in the state currently plus Harris and Thomas.  The DL recruiting and depth is very good and going to a 4-man will show out this year.  And I haven't even mentioned Sweat, Warren, Graham, Bimage, Jones, that's a deep and talented DL room.

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

No they haven't.  They signed four(4) 4* OL just this past cycle.  Year before they got Tyler Johnson who was a 5* until he didn't attend any camps + Hookfin and a JUCO.  Yes, they've missed on OL this class so far.

And how has DL recruiting been bad?  Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, Collins, Ossai would have been takes for a lot of big time programs and they already have the best DE in the state currently plus Harris and Thomas.  The DL recruiting and depth is very good and going to a 4-man will show out this year.  And I haven't even mentioned Sweat, Warren, Graham, Bimage, Jones, that's a deep and talented DL room.

Wasn’t coburn the only DL in that class?  They recruited a big QB (project at best) out of La to play DL and he left Already.  Bimage is 6’2” and a tweeter that hasn’t impacted the team yet.  I’ll give you last year’s class, but those guys were recruited for a 3 man front.  Sweat was so far under the radar when he committed, he was a good find.  I’m just tired of seeing these guys we need not really considering Texas

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Wasn’t coburn the only DL in that class?  They recruited a big QB (project at best) out of La to play DL and he left Already.  Bimage is 6’2” and a tweeter that hasn’t impacted the team yet.  I’ll give you last year’s class, but those guys were recruited for a 3 man front.  Sweat was so far under the radar when he committed, he was a good find.  I’m just tired of seeing these guys we need not really considering Texas

The Coburn class had Ossai, Ojomo, and the La kid that bolted.

I just remember in the Tech game when Bimage was finally let to line up outside the Tackle he had a couple of sacks.

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Sweat was so far under the radar when he committed, he was a good find.

Sweat was rated low (specifically by Rivals, outside top 100 in the state) because he attended a camp his Soph year and didn't perform very well and they never looked at him again.  His Sr tape was fantastic plus he was a defensive MVP in basketball as well. And he's 300+ lbs.  He was the best DL in the state after Leal. Guys like Nana Osafo, Braden Lowery, and Josh Ellison were rated higher with Sweat having much better film.

3 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

The Coburn class had Ossai, Ojomo, and the La kid that bolted.

I just remember in the Tech game when Bimage was finally let to line up outside the Tackle he had a couple of sacks.

Ojomo was 16 at graduation.  Was ossai labeled a DE or LB?  I think OLB.  

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Herman is the coach now, Strong is gone.  These misses fall squarely on tom.  

You failed to miss my point. Over the last several years, it hasn't mattered who the coach is, and it's not just UT...

Over the last 5 years:

54% of the Top 25 players in Texas have chosen to go out of state.

44% of the Top 10 players in Texas have chosen to go out of state.

There are 5 Power 5 Programs in the State of Texas. Then you have schools like, SMU, UTEP, UNT, Houston, Rice, etc. A plethora of instate programs to choose from; and even still, 54% of the Top 25 players in Texas have gone elsewhere. 

It's not just a Tom Herman problem.

4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

You failed to miss my point. Over the last several years, it hasn't mattered who the coach is, and it's not just UT...

Over the last 5 years:

There are 5 Power 5 Programs in the State of Texas. Then you have schools like, SMU, UTEP, UNT, Houston, Rice, etc. A plethora of instate programs to choose from; and even still, 54% of the Top 25 players in Texas have gone elsewhere. 

It might would help if a team from Texas made it to the playoff.  Texas is the best bet as they could probably get in with 1 loss.  I don't think a 1 loss Baylor, Tech, or TCU would get in over other name programs.  I don't think A&M can come out of the SEC West to have a chance in the conference championship game.

19 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Over the last 5 years:

I understand your point, I just don’t care about The recruiting at those other Texas teams.  Tom coaches the longhorns, and they’ve/he’s missed out on lots of guys That left the state, but most of all higher rated positions of need.  It’s nice to reach out and pluck a National POY out of Arizona, but missing on the top rated OL in the country (resident of Texas/legacy recruit) and settling for a 3-4 star guy stings.  

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Over the last 5 years:

It’s a Big 12 problem.

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It’s a Big 12 problem.

Big12 needs to add Arkansas and Memphis, got two divisions and play 4-5 non conference games and boost rankings.  

Big12 needs to add Arkansas and Memphis, got two divisions and play 4-5 non conference games and boost rankings.  

I agree Memphis is the best expansion candidate. 

Arkansas isn’t leaving the SEC, and if my some miracle they did then I hope Oklahoma would seize the opportunity and slide into that spot.

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Arkansas isn’t leaving the SEC, and if my some miracle they did then I hope Oklahoma would seize the opportunity and slide into that spot.

Not much insensitive for them to leave. Oklahoma would benefit either way. Ou would be a good pickup for their brand alone. 

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Arkansas is the eternal #### in the sec west.  Without recruiting Texas hard they’ll suffer.  Being back in the big12 would help their exposure here. 

Ou will stay in the Big12.  

Just now, Raiderfan7000 said:

Not much insensitive for them to leave. Oklahoma would benefit either way. Ou would be a good pickup for their brand alone. 

Not much incentive?  Stay a bottom dweller or give yourself a chance to improve your program by recruiting  a state you used to live in?

ou won’t leave

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Not much incentive?  Stay a bottom dweller or give yourself a chance to improve your program by recruiting  a state you used to live in?

ou won’t leave

Not like they would become a power just because they left. They are doing just fine recruiting now. Arkansas has been lackluster because of coaching and recruiting. 

Arkansas is the eternal #### in the sec west.  Without recruiting Texas hard they’ll suffer.  Being back in the big12 would help their exposure here. 

Ou will stay in the Big12.  

Arkansas will be back to contending . Ou might wanna get out of brother shadow. If they got an invite to the sec or even the Big 10 , they’re good as gone.

2 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Not like they would become a power just because they left. They are doing just fine recruiting now. Arkansas has been lackluster because of coaching and recruiting. 

And getting physically whipped for the last 7-8 years.  They’d be able to play more games in Texas giving them a better recruiting presence here.  Their best times in history were with rosters full of Texas kids.  Just like OU, they have tons of Texas kids.  Heck Missouri was prolly 25% full of Texas kids til they left.  Have been irrelevant since.

3 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

Arkansas will be back to contending . Ou might wanna get out of brother shadow. If they got an invite to the sec or even the Big 10 , they’re good as gone.

Not everybody tucks tail and runs from their brother, just the ones that can’t overcome big brother’s shadow.  OU holds their own very well and has a good path to the CFP every year.  Leaving would be dumb

• Confused 1