The Smoakhouse Forums

Just now, Stoney said:

How much impact do you think the past 15 years of out of staters coming in has played on recruiting? If Mama and Daddy are Geaux Tigahs, aren’t you more likely to be? Even if you did grow up in Texas? Add that to the up and down levels of play in the top Texas programs and it seems like a bad recipe. 

I don’t disagree. The Brockmeyers are a prime example. UT legacy recruits that go elsewhere for an opportunity at more success and a better shot at the NFL. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t really understand why he committed to Texas so early in the first place. This was always a make or break season for Texas. Why not wait until the season was over?

But where’s he going to transfer from?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Some of Texas’ worst years for player development and S&C.  I don’t recall many of those recruits being 5* OL recruits.

Texas is actually doing a good job developing the lower ranked guys they’re getting now, it would just speed up the rebuild by landing kids like the OT brockermeyer now.  

I said 4 or 5 star. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

But since you’re so interested, I’m willing to help. I’m in charge of screening new BAMA bandwagon fans. If you’d like I can pm you an application. 

No thanks!  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

I said 4 or 5 star. 

I know what you said, and I said very few if any of that list were 5*.  Texas has recently missed on a few of those gotta have OL that left the state.  

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I know what you said, and I said very few if any of that list were 5*.  Texas has recently missed on a few of those gotta have OL that left the state.  

That’s why I think this decision was more about the other brother. 

Texas has not shown they can develop that kid into a NFL guy. Alabama has.

3 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t disagree. The Brockmeyers are a prime example. UT legacy recruits that go elsewhere for an opportunity at more success and a better shot at the NFL. 

The one brother will go to the nfl regardless of where he plays his college ball.  He went to Bama because of his brother

47 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That’s why I think this decision was more about the other brother. 

Texas has not shown they can develop that kid into a NFL guy. Alabama has.

I fully agree on the other brother.  That’s why I was #### that herman didn’t want him.  Don’t take a project OL by himself, but if he’s paired with a 5* can’t miss you take him

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

How much impact do you think the past 15 years of out of staters coming in has played on recruiting? If Mama and Daddy are Geaux Tigahs, aren’t you more likely to be? Even if you did grow up in Texas? Add that to the up and down levels of play in the top Texas programs and it seems like a bad recipe. 

LSU fans in Texas were rare until Katrina

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

LSU fans in Texas were rare until Katrina

Not really, I know several folks I grew up with that were traitors before Katrina.

42 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Not really, I know several folks I grew up with that were traitors before Katrina.

Maybe if UT hadn’t adopted the motto “Striving for Mediocrity” some of those people wouldn’t have gone looking for a better team. 

• Haha 4
7 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Maybe if UT hadn’t adopted the motto “Striving for Mediocrity” some of those people wouldn’t have gone looking for a better team. 

End of Mack Brown and Charlie Strong Era motto: "We only win in February!"

8 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

This is true

34 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

In 3... 2... 1...  but we don't need to play Texas. They need us. And my opinion is neither team needs the other to get to the playoffs. If both teams were to go undefeated, both would be in the playoff - PERIOD. But this was a historical match-up that many times saw the underdog win. When Texas fans state the OU game was more important, it was due to the fact that the OU/Texas game were bigger match-ups in the context of rankings at the time played. It also had a larger impact on recruiting in my opinion. This was back when players were more apt to choose the college they grew up admiring if offered. So the Aggies were going to get theirs and the Longhorns were going to get theirs for the most part. The OU game was big to keep kids from crossing the border to play in Oklahoma. Today it seems more like what can you do for me. What's the dorm or apartment situation, how cool is the locker room, what extra gear do we get, etc... Out of state recruiting has become the norm. I'd love to see this game return.

Texas picks up a commitment today from 3* TE Gunnar Helm, out of CO. He committed to Texas over Wisconsin and Iowa. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Texas picks up a commitment today from 3* TE Gunnar Helm, out of CO. He committed to Texas over Wisconsin and Iowa. 

Looks like he's a 4* on Rivals and a mid 3* on 247.  Couldn't find him on ESPN.  Looks like the kind of kid that goes to Iowa or Wisconsin and ends up being a stud.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Texas got its first commit for the 22' class in WR Phaizon Wilson.  He's on the far right with some of the 21' commits.

EeW-U0YXgAAm_yc.jpeg

Hes a thick kid. Would probably be a 4-5 star OLB at most states but high schools in Texas are obsessed with letting guys with OLB frames play WR even though in college the majority of them do very little because they can't get separation. Ill never understand it.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:46 AM, trueblue82 said:

Agree 100%. Sad, but true. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Hes a thick kid. Would probably be a 4-5 star OLB at most states but high schools in Texas are obsessed with letting guys with OLB frames play WR even though in college the majority of them do very little because they can't get separation. Ill never understand it.

This guy has played very little real football in his career too, from what I’ve read.  He’ll be a junior in the fall.    Most of it has been 7-on-7. He’s gonna grow and fill out.  His HS coach may use him on defense too moving forward.  

On 7/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, MavGrad99 said:

With 2 seconds on the clock....

”how appropriate is this?  Ending this rivalry, when you got it coming down to a walk off kick one way or the other and they will talk about it in this state for YEARS and YEARS” - Craig James

It is going to be devastating, for whoever comes out on the short end of this game, but what tremendous effort we’ve seen from both Texas A&M and Texas in this finale game of the rivalry.  the players are caught up in the middle of this.  They have no say in whether they’re going to play or not but they’ve gone out and put their hearts out on that field tonight and provide a great theatre”. - Rece Davis

”this is the only way you’d anticipate a game like this, in a rivalry like this, finishing temporRily.  These rivalry games as players we loved them because you throw all of the statistics, all of the records out the window.  These are great, competitive matchups, and this one coming right down to the wire.”  - Jessie Palmer

then Justin Tucker does his thing.  

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

With 2 seconds on the clock....

”how appropriate is this?  Ending this rivalry, when you got it coming down to a walk off kick one way or the other and they will talk about it in this state for YEARS and YEARS” - Craig James

It is going to be devastating, for whoever comes out on the short end of this game, but what tremendous effort we’ve seen from both Texas A&M and Texas in this finale game of the rivalry.  the players are caught up in the middle of this.  They have no say in whether they’re going to play or not but they’ve gone out and put their hearts out on that field tonight and provide a great theatre”. - Rece Davis

”this is the only way you’d anticipate a game like this, in a rivalry like this, finishing temporRily.  These rivalry games as players we loved them because you throw all of the statistics, all of the records out the window.  These are great, competitive matchups, and this one coming right down to the wire.”  - Jessie Palmer

then Justin Tucker does his thing.  

I gotta hand to them , Texas just won’t let it go. Would be hilarious if some A&M players wore Let it go Tom on their jerseys or Saw em off and quit asking or something like that. The social justice should have some benefits. In all seriousness Texas needs this matchup more than A&M. Aggies have more to lose but a lot of time has passed for it hurt recruitment. This game won’t happen unless it a bowl game. 

7 minutes ago, Raiderfan7000 said:

I gotta hand to them , Texas just won’t let it go. Would be hilarious if some A&M players wore Let it go Tom on their jerseys or Saw em off and quit asking or something like that. The social justice should have some benefits. In all seriousness Texas needs this matchup more than A&M. Aggies have more to lose but a lot of time has passed for it hurt recruitment. This game won’t happen unless it a bowl game. 

Those ideas would work.... had you won