The Smoakhouse Forums

21 hours ago, LOL said:

So...  short of the "home run hire" of an Urban Meyer/Nick Saban/Dabo Swinney, who would you say are the top targets for UT? 

The one UT needs won’t be available for at least another five years and his wife is related to Barry Switzer.

So, that may never happen..

In fact, I really do not ever want him to leave his current position until he retires. Let him win at least fifteen more state championships before retiring.

• Haha 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But where’s he going to transfer from?

I don’t really understand why he committed to Texas so early in the first place. This was always a make or break season for Texas. Why not wait until the season was over?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

The one UT needs won’t be available for at least another five years and his wife is related to Barry Switzer.

So, that may never happen..

In fact, I really do not ever want him to leave his current position until he retires. Let him win at least fifteen more state championships before retiring.

Ha, you laugh. Why?

He’s light years better than Herman and Strong could ever dream of being.

He’s a for real winner and not just talking about as a football coach. He is a killer when it comes to any competition, anything.

I have a hard time believing Herman has this mentality.

There never was a coach from Stephenville who went to college coaching and had huge success was there? 
You’re laughing at a coach who by the time he’s done in high school could undoubtedly be considered the greatest Texas High School football coach ever just depends on how long he wants to stay in high school.

He may never want to go to college coaching and I’d love that, but if he did want to coach at the next level I’d bet with zero doubt he’d have a ton of success. 

27 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ha, you laugh. Why?

He’s light years better than Herman and Strong could ever dream of being.

He’s a for real winner and not just talking about as a football coach. He is a killer when it comes to any competition, anything.

I have a hard time believing Herman has this mentality.

There never was a coach from Stephenville who went to college coaching and had huge success was there? 
You’re laughing at a coach who by the time he’s done in high school could undoubtedly be considered the greatest Texas High School football coach ever just depends on how long he wants to stay in high school.

He may never want to go to college coaching and I’d love that, but if he did want to coach at the next level I’d bet with zero doubt he’d have a ton of success. 

All of those things may be true eventually. 

However, there is no way in hell Texas could justify hiring a guy out of high school who isn't even in the state's biggest division to be their HC right now.

If he goes to college and works his way up then maybe someday, but not this year for Texas at least.

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

All of those things may be true eventually. 

However, there is no way in hell Texas could justify hiring a guy out of high school who isn't even in the state's biggest division to be there HC right now.

If he goes to college and works his way up then maybe someday, but not this year for Texas at least.

I hear you on that.

55 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Seasons all but over at this point to be honest. If players want to sit out because of the injustice of the song who cares lol 

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I may be out of loop but how is this controversial? I mean come on. I realize maybe the south used it way back when. This is about dumb as it get cause no way is remotely not considered the Texas school song\Motto ect... 

At least sully was actually somewhat connected to the South but this is reaching bad . Getting upset about something 100 or more years ago is stupidity at its finest.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I may be out of loop but how is this controversial? I mean come on. I realize maybe the south used it way back when. This is about dumb as it get cause no way is remotely not considered the Texas school song\Motto ect... 

At least sully was actually somewhat connected to the South but this is reaching bad . Getting upset about something 100 or more years ago is stupidity at its finest.

From what I gather from the ones that are opposed to the song is that it was sung at a minstrel show originally.  There is a forced connection to what the song is actually referring to as well.  If indeed this song was "racist" I am sure that it would have been dealt with long ago.  Even if it was originally meant to be racist it has long lost that connection.  I was on campus from 1984 through 1988 and I was never made aware of the "history" of the song.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

From what I gather from the ones that are opposed to the song is that it was sung at a minstrel show originally.  There is a forced connection to what the song is actually referring to as well.  If indeed this song was "racist" I am sure that it would have been dealt with long ago.  Even if it was originally meant to be racist it has long lost that connection.  I was on campus from 1984 through 1988 and I was never made aware of the "history" of the song.

Ok thank you I couldn’t grasp the connection either and while not a fan of the school think should be mandatory that one should at least embrace Texas fight . This represents your school and is well known as your song.

3 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

What happened with Sam and Hook’em? I’ve never understood what happened there. I’ve seen it and like he was the only UT player that stayed.

33 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What happened with Sam and Hook’em? I’ve never understood what happened there. I’ve seen it and like he was the only UT player that stayed.

What I have read is that after all of the negotiations from the demands of the players this summer, changing names of buildings, funding more minority programs, etc., which the university did with the compromise that the players did not have to sing The Eyes of Texas but would remain on the field.  Some of the players wanted the song gone but all of the other demands were met so giving one thing as a compromise seemed logical.  All of the other sports programs have complied with this except for the football team.  Herman did not enforce it so the players have been leaving.  Del Conte, the AD, apparently stated today that the players will remain on the field.  This is not a good look for the program as had Herman done what he should have from the get go this would not be an issue (hopefully not).

When all of this was going down this summer the university president said that the song would stay and that, while the history of the song would be acknowledged, it would appropriate a new meaning (which is universally accepted for the last upteen 100 years or so anyway).  The president recently commissioned a task force to investigate the history of the song with the findings to be submitted by January.

Bottom line is that Sam is the only one that stayed on the field after the loss against OU to sing the song and acknowledge the fans.  If they were winning I am sure that this drama would be playing out differently.  But with today's environment it is just another way for those that have an issue to take their toys and go home.

This has been a very divisive moment with UT as over $25M and counting has been pulled by the donors since last Saturday.  I think that the players have overplayed their hand in this particularly after an apparent compromise had been met.  It is a total clown show right now.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

What I have read is that after all of the negotiations from the demands of the players this summer, changing names of buildings, funding more minority programs, etc., which the university did with the compromise that the players did not have to sing The Eyes of Texas but would remain on the field.  Some of the players wanted the song gone but all of the other demands were met so giving one thing as a compromise seemed logical.  All of the other sports programs have complied with this except for the football team.  Herman did not enforce it so the players have been leaving.  Del Conte, the AD, apparently stated today that the players will remain on the field.  This is not a good look for the program as had Herman done what he should have from the get go this would not be an issue (hopefully not).

When all of this was going down this summer the university president said that the song would stay and that, while the history of the song would be acknowledged, it would appropriate a new meaning (which is universally accepted for the last upteen 100 years or so anyway).  The president recently commissioned a task force to investigate the history of the song with the findings to be submitted by January.

Bottom line is that Sam is the only one that stayed on the field after the loss against OU to sing the song and acknowledge the fans.  If they were winning I am sure that this drama would be playing out differently.  But with today's environment it is just another way for those that have an issue to take their toys and go home.

This has been a very divisive moment with UT as over $25M and counting has been pulled by the donors since last Saturday.  I think that the players have overplayed their hand in this particularly after an apparent compromise had been met.  It is a total clown show right now.

And people think urban meyer wants to walk into that? Just kidding...Kind of... 

Texas is a high pressure job right now. Cultural and identity issues from the university and students VS the money backing the program that has pride in its traditions. There's a much deeper issue here than just who's coaching the football team. And therefore its going to be hard in my opinion for anyone to be successful there until Texas decides if it wants to be in the conversation with Stanford/Cal/UCLA or Bama/Clemson/Ohio st. You can't be both. 

1. Something that not mentioned. Why would Meyer even consider coming back? 

He has the rings and pretty good gig right now! $$ not an issue. 

Texas needs a up and coming coach more than the Home run hire. Texas seems obsessed with getting back to the glory days rather than getting the proven hire. Go after a coach in the game like A Patterson or best DC money can buy. That always seems to be the issue. I don’t follow the horns enough but seems like Defense is what lacks.

27 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

1. Something that not mentioned. Why would Meyer even consider coming back? 

He has the rings and pretty good gig right now! $$ not an issue. 

Texas needs a up and coming coach more than the Home run hire. Texas seems obsessed with getting back to the glory days rather than getting the proven hire. Go after a coach in the game like A Patterson or best DC money can buy. That always seems to be the issue. I don’t follow the horns enough but seems like Defense is what lacks.

The problem with getting a proven guy is why would a proven guy leave his current spot? Patterson is a legend at TCU. There is virtually no pressure for him to win there and his seat is not ever very warm because of his past accomplishments. If he took the job at Texas he is essentially given 3 years to win or they fire him much like they did Strong and now potentially Herman. Just doesn't seem like a move that makes sense for Patterson. Not that I think that's a good hire for Texas anyways. 

If I'm Texas I would try very hard to lure away Kyle Whittingham from Utah. His teams always play tough and he knows defense. He is proven and just took a pretty hefty paycut at Utah due to covid. Im not sure he would leave, but if you're chasing someone proven he's the guy IMO. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WETSU said:

The problem with getting a proven guy is why would a proven guy leave his current spot? Patterson is a legend at TCU. There is virtually no pressure for him to win there and his seat is not ever very warm because of his past accomplishments. If he took the job at Texas he is essentially given 3 years to win or they fire him much like they did Strong and now potentially Herman. Just doesn't seem like a move that makes sense for Patterson. Not that I think that's a good hire for Texas anyways. 

If I'm Texas I would try very hard to lure away Kyle Whittingham from Utah. His teams always play tough and he knows defense. He is proven and just took a pretty hefty paycut at Utah due to covid. Im not sure he would leave, but if you're chasing someone proven he's the guy IMO. 

That would be a great hire. 

22 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The problem with getting a proven guy is why would a proven guy leave his current spot? Patterson is a legend at TCU. There is virtually no pressure for him to win there and his seat is not ever very warm because of his past accomplishments. If he took the job at Texas he is essentially given 3 years to win or they fire him much like they did Strong and now potentially Herman. Just doesn't seem like a move that makes sense for Patterson...

This is true...  Patterson can go through a rough patch of 2-3 years and his seat stays relatively cool, so long as he: 1.) beats Texas, and 2.) occasionally makes a run at a conference title. 

Just look at his career in the Big XII: 

2012    TCU    7–6    4–5    T–5th
2013    TCU    4–8    2–7    T–7th
2014    TCU    12–1    8–1    T–1st
2015    TCU    11–2    7–2    T–2nd
2016    TCU    6–7    4–5    5th
2017    TCU    11–3    7–2    2nd
2018    TCU    7–6    4–5    T–5th
2019    TCU    5–7    3–6    T–7th            

4-8? 6-7? Can you imagine what would happen if he had that kinda season at UT? Boom. Gone. But in Fort Worth all they do is say "it's a building year." 

Rumors floating now on Aggie boards (came from horn booster and other boards apparently) that some of the money guys are wanting to talk Mack Brown into coming back because of how well he's doing at UNC. Man I love the crazy internet stuff during coaching uncertainty 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Rumors floating now on Aggie boards (came from horn booster and other boards apparently) that some of the money guys are wanting to talk Mack Brown into coming back because of how well he's doing at UNC. Man I love the crazy internet stuff during coaching uncertainty 😂

Lol, I'm sure there some kooky Horn alum/boosters who are saying crazy stuff like this. But I am almost certain there's no legit movement in this direction. 

It is a funny thought though. 

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

Lol, I'm sure there some kooky Horn alum/boosters who are saying crazy stuff like this. But I am almost certain there's no legit movement in this direction. 

It is a funny thought though. 

Yea I doubt there's any truth to it at all. Buts crazy how these things grow legs during times like this. 

But hey, Mack went to a second stint at UNC. Maybe we will just complete the circle 😂

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Buts crazy how these things grow legs during times like this...

So you're saying that those rumors about Stoops to Cleveland/Dallas/Youngstown/Florida might not be true? 

WHEW-Ace-Ventura.gif