The Smoakhouse Forums

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t really understand why he committed to Texas so early in the first place. This was always a make or break season for Texas. Why not wait until the season was over?

But where’s he going to transfer from?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

To be fair, that's every team other than like Clemson and Alabama. 

the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

On 10/24/2020 at 4:51 PM, ETXfan16 said:

Special teams is still horrible though. 

I was hoping we would cut Dickson's cousin last year and go get a new punter...he's the worst I've seen in years...ANYWHERE!!!

• Like 1
On 10/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, ETXfan16 said:

hookem.jpg

Swap out the Horns for the Cowboys and I’m right there with you. Lol

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

What’s happening with Ewers?

The OC and HC that convinced him to commit to Texas are on a very hot seat and he knows it. 
I expect Herman to be fired in season and Ewers will probably decommit. 

Meyer or whoever is the next coach will need to win Ewers pledge again and do it quickly. 

• Like 1

I don’t really understand why he committed to Texas so early in the first place. This was always a make or break season for Texas. Why not wait until the season was over?

• Like 5

Tried to tell some of my buddies here in my area Ewers wasn't going to stick with UT. Looks like he's headed to Ohio State, we shall see. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Herman might be getting ready to lose a top CB too.......

7 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Tried to tell some of my buddies here in my area Ewers wasn't going to stick with UT. Looks like he's headed to Ohio State, we shall see. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Clemson makes more sense to me, but I guess we will see.

42 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Agree but winning out which is possible could vary well save it for another year. 

Winning out wouldn't save his job. The only thing that can save him from here on out is money. A coaching change now would likely cost texas around 50mil or more year one just in buyouts if they hire anyone proven not named Meyer. In this economy and loss of revenue from covid, that's no easy task to swing that on top of trying to finish the stadium project they had going. It wouldn't shock me to see Herman get another year just for financial reasons. 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Winning out wouldn't save his job. The only thing that can save him from here on out is money. A coaching change now would likely cost texas around 50mil or more year one just in buyouts if they hire anyone proven not named Meyer. In this economy and loss of revenue from covid, that's no easy task to swing that on top of trying to finish the stadium project they had going. It wouldn't shock me to see Herman get another year just for financial reasons. 

Basically they would be Big 12 Champions if that happened,That should buy some time imo. Sooner or later they have to start contending and 10 win seasons won’t cut it considering the conference.

Then again attitude reflects leadership. Having your QB signing the school song by himself after playing their arch rival is appalling. Perception is division and the HC is ultimately responsible for that. Of course if they’re winning this probably never happens . I find it difficult to comprehend disrespecting the school song something that sacred to the school itself. Some folks don’t think it is an issue but this is something that shouldn’t be tolerated especially when they have no grounds to stand on. JMO. I don’t fault any diehards being upset.

I see Texas losing to OSU, Iowa State, and possibly Kansas State. If that happens, the boosters will find the money to pay that buy out and get CDC to get Herman out of there. 

I know the buyout is a lot, but if the above happens, I don't see it being an issue. People are ####.

There are more than enough BMD's that are disgruntled.  Money will not be an issue.  They may pull their money from the End Zone remodel and apply it to the coaching buyout.  The BMD's will/would find a way to get it done.

• Like 1

If you believe message boards then Herman is as good as gone. They are just making sure they can get the right replacement before they officially fire Herman. 
Money isn’t going to be an issue, there are apparently enough ticked off money men that CDC and new President Hartzell are already working out ways to make things happen. An in-season firing or reassigning of Herman is the most likely outcome. 

46 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

There are more than enough BMD's that are disgruntled.  Money will not be an issue.  They may pull their money from the End Zone remodel and apply it to the coaching buyout.  The BMD's will/would find a way to get it done.

42 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

If you believe message boards then Herman is as good as gone. They are just making sure they can get the right replacement before they officially fire Herman. 
Money isn’t going to be an issue, there are apparently enough ticked off money men that CDC and new President Hartzell are already working out ways to make things happen. An in-season firing or reassigning of Herman is the most likely outcome. 

Y'all feel like they're going all-in on Urban Meyer? Kyle Shanahan? Dabo? 

Hard to imagine them making such a big buyout for someone like Matt Campbell. 

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

Y'all feel like they're going all-in on Urban Meyer? Kyle Shanahan? Dabo? 

Hard to imagine them making such a big buyout for someone like Matt Campbell. 

I think it’s Urban. They’ll call Dabo and Shanahan, may have already made those calls. Shanahan wants no part of the college game because of recruiting. 

I agree you can’t spend this kind of buyout money for Campbell. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think it’s Urban. They’ll call Dabo and Shanahan, may have already made those calls. Shanahan wants no part of the college game because of recruiting. 

So what if Meyer doesn't want the job? That's the issue you're seeing here when I mean money. Who is worth what its going to cost to replace Herman that is truly realistic. I don't think Texas is the ultimate job some of you think it is. Which is how you ended up with a guy like Herman and charlie strong over someone proven in the first place. Those calls were made then too and were turned down and that's without the off the field issues that pretty much put a coach in a no win situation. You're either loyal to your players and stand with them on the eyes issue or you're loyal to the big money guys who pay your salary but off you're players and recruits in the process. I truly think this issue is what keeps Texas from getting the huge hire they want. Sure they can probably throw the money at a guy like campbell and get him. But is he worth it? There's not but a handful of coaches that are worth the money in a tight budget year like this and I just don't see them leaving. That's what I mean by getting money together. You think the big money guys are going to fork up to replace him with another unproven? 

2 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

Or any other kind of "rising star" younger coach. That's what Herman was.

I remember the bidding war between LSU and UT that went right down to the wire. Breaking news scrolling on the bottom screen, even as Charlie was still coaching. 

The only way you can keelhaul Herman is if you have a home-run hire waiting in the wings. Short of Urban, Dabo, or the great Satan himself, there's no one out there right now who's worth the massive buyout.

• Like 1