🟠 Longhorns 2020 thread

FU Tom Herman!

Take 3 points off the board that would give a TD lead. Fake punt on 4th and long. No plan to get 1st downs to put the game away any go 3 and out. Your buddy Ash goes into prevent to allow Iowa State to score like #### through a goose.

Now your going to go in a presser and say it's on you. Hell yes it's on you! We are not headed in the right direction with you as a head coach and continue to lose to teams with less talent coming out of high school.

I am and will always be a Longhorn, but I can't make anymore excuses for your short comings. Take your DC with you because when it's time to step up, he just doesn't put the players in the position to be play makers.

3 minutes ago, oldschool32 said:

That is all on coaching the decision not to kick the field goal, the fake punt, that last drive pitiful.  Fire him pay urban big money call it done.  

The coaching is so bad we don't even get a 1st down if Moore catches the ball on that last 3 and out. Why not run 1 yard deeper in case you have to leave your feet to catch the ball or you get tackled immediately?

This the first game that I have not watched or attended in forever as I was busy hiking in the Grand Canyon on the Bright Angel Trail.

I was able to get cell coverage about the time that Sam got stopped on 4th and 2 being up by 4. A FG at that time puts the game at 7 and provides a bit of momentum for the defense to hold. A failure loses momentum, creates discouragement and puts pressure on the defense.

It went as I expected. Tom must go.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LOL said:

Pretty strong evidence that the Mack Brown era was the exception and not the rule at UT. 

I don't necessarily agree with that. 

Programs get great coaches, they get bad coaches. It ebbs and flows. When they had Royal and Mack, they were elite. With a lot of other coaches, they've struggled. 

OU has been blessed with some great coaches over the years who mostly stayed there for long periods of time (Wilkson, Switzer, Stoops) but even OU struggled in the 90s when they didn't have a good coach. 

Heck, even Alabama were pretty bad for a few years when Shula was their coach. They just set the standard for hiring coaches when they turned over $7 million a year for Saban and he panned out. 

A&M has had some good coaches over the years (Norton, Bear, Jackie, Slocum, Fisher). Sadly, we ran off Bear and Jackie before they could REALLY shine. And we missed HARD with Fran, who set our program back a LOT.  

The point I'm getting at is just that Texas is a strong program with a lot of history who's struggled with coaches a few times. They missed with the Strong hire and Herman was kinda their Sumlin. Decent coach who won games and showed flashes but could never get over the hump of being elite. It could've happened to any team. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I don't necessarily agree with that. 

Programs get great coaches, they get bad coaches. It ebbs and flows. When they had Royal and Mack, they were elite. With a lot of other coaches, they've struggled. 

OU has been blessed with some great coaches over the years who mostly stayed there for long periods of time (Wilkson, Switzer, Stoops) but even OU struggled in the 90s when they didn't have a good coach. 

Heck, even Alabama were pretty bad for a few years when Shula was their coach. They just set the standard for hiring coaches when they turned over $7 million a year for Saban and he panned out. 

A&M has had some good coaches over the years (Norton, Bear, Jackie, Slocum, Fisher). Sadly, we ran off Bear and Jackie before they could REALLY shine. And we missed HARD with Fran, who set our program back a LOT.  

The point I'm getting at is just that Texas is a strong program with a lot of history who's struggled with coaches a few times. They missed with the Strong hire and Herman was kinda their Sumlin. Decent coach who won games and showed flashes but could never get over the hump of being elite. It could've happened to any team. 

Oh my Lord, JF, great post!

Wet has been on a little side mission to prove UT is close to mediocre with the great Brown Era as the outlier. That simply isn’t true. Texas is not mediocre with only the 2000’s as the high water mark.

The 2000’s were awesome and some of the best years in UT’s history, but even before Mack arrived UT was already one of the winningest programs in college football history. Texas has a winning record over nearly all opponents and one of the best bowl game winning percentages in the country over the program’s history.

When you look at the wins/losses decade by decade I can see how Wet points to that and says they’re not historically as good as people think or act like they are. That’s just not accurate either.

The thing about UT is historically they could be very competitive challenging for the national championship or like we’ve all witnessed the last ten years where they’re just down and like you said, it’s ALL about the HC. UT missed on Charlie Strong and Herman.

When we were in the midst of the end of the Mack Brown Era it truly felt like Mack had lost his desire. The team really had taken a step back, but there was still the potential under Brown for the Longhorns to jump up and make a run for the conference title.
UT fans quickly found out the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence and running Mack off was a huge mistake. 

36 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Wet has been on a little side mission to prove UT is close to mediocre with the great Brown Era as the outlier. That simply isn’t true. Texas is not mediocre with only the 2000’s as the high water mark.

The 2000’s were awesome and some of the best years in UT’s history, but even before Mack arrived UT was already one of the winningest programs in college football history. Texas has a winning record over nearly all opponents and one of the best bowl game winning percentages in the country over the program’s history.

When you look at the wins/losses decade by decade I can see how Wet points to that and says they’re not historically as good as people think or act like they are. That’s just not accurate either.

The thing about UT is historically they could be very competitive challenging for the national championship or like we’ve all witnessed the last ten years where they’re just down and like you said, it’s ALL about the HC. UT missed on Charlie Strong and Herman.

When we were in the midst of the end of the Mack Brown Era it truly felt like Mack had lost his desire. The team really had taken a step back, but there was still the potential under Brown for the Longhorns to jump up and make a run for the conference title.
UT fans quickly found out the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence and running Mack off was a huge mistake. 

There's a difference in mediocre, good, and elite. 

Texas is good. Not elite. Similar to Michigan... OU, Bama, Ohio st, USC and ND are the top 5 and a class above the rest all time. Texas is about 6th or 7th. I'm not talking just all time wins here. Conference and national titles come into play here as well as things like all americans, heismans, first rounders etc. 

38 minutes ago, WETSU said:

There's a difference in mediocre, good, and elite. 

Texas is good. Not elite. Similar to Michigan... OU, Bama, Ohio st, USC and ND are the top 5 and a class above the rest all time. Texas is about 6th or 7th. I'm not talking just all time wins here. Conference and national titles come into play here as well as things like all americans, heismans, first rounders etc. 

Ok, I was thinking you were trying to say Texas has been mediocre over the life of the program. 

I’d agree with you UT is probably the #6 or 7 team all time when taking the entire resume into account; national championships, conference championships and total wins.

👍

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Ok, I was thinking you were trying to say Texas has been mediocre over the life of the program. 

I’d agree with you UT is probably the #6 or 7 team all time when taking the entire resume into account; national championships, conference championships and total wins.

👍

Yea I am in no way saying Texas shouldn't be proud of their accomplishments. They are in that 6-10 range depending on what we factor in. 

1. OU

2. Bama

3. Ohio St

4. USC

5 ND

6. Nebraska 

7. Texas

8. Miami 

9. Florida st

10. Michigan

Receiving votes: LSU, Penn st, Florida Clemson.

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yea I am in no way saying Texas shouldn't be proud of their accomplishments. They are in that 6-10 range depending on what we factor in. 

1. OU

2. Bama

3. Ohio St

4. USC

5 ND

6. Nebraska 

7. Texas

8. Miami 

9. Florida st

10. Michigan

Receiving votes: LSU, Penn st, Florida Clemson.

I like that ranking. Maybe I’d flip Alabama and OU or maybe even slide OU down to 3 with USC being 2.

Hmmm, have to think about this for a bit.

17 hours ago, Valhalla said:

F9CA8E31-C913-44C4-AD5D-995E9EDCA03E.jpeg

I don’t think any of us really gave Mack the credit he deserved.

So the 80s would have been Akers/McWilliams replacing Royal. 90s was Mackovic until Brown. 10s Strong and Herman trying to replace Mack. It just goes to show how hard it is to replace an elite coach. Texas seems to be in their McWilliams/Mackovic part deux phase. 1998 was a long time ago and I was just a kid. What was the impression of Mack Brown when he got hired? Was it getting a up and coming HC? Just a solid hire? A stop gap until “the guy” came along?

26 minutes ago, Stoney said:

So the 80s would have been Akers/McWilliams replacing Royal. 90s was Mackovic until Brown. 10s Strong and Herman trying to replace Mack. It just goes to show how hard it is to replace an elite coach. Texas seems to be in their McWilliams/Mackovic part deux phase. 1998 was a long time ago and I was just a kid. What was the impression of Mack Brown when he got hired? Was it getting a up and coming HC? Just a solid hire? A stop gap until “the guy” came along?

I was 6 when Mack was hired so I have no idea.

13 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Very good post. 

Here's what stands out to me.  In my adult life, Mack is the only Texas HC that performed as good or better than expected over his tenure. Considering I'm 55, that's pretty sad.  If I were a Sooner, I'd have several more names on my list than just one stand alone.  Good for OU.  Sad for UT.