The Smoakhouse Forums

21 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Muschamp, Kirby, Pruitt.  All need to learn to let go of the reigns offensively.  They’re scared to put an athlete at qb and let them play ball.  Kirby smart should be fired for letting Fields go to play the other guy that was a game manager at best.  

Yeah there’s a bunch of UGA fans still mad about that. Their next athletic QB, D’wan Mathis, entered the transfer portal this week. I think Kirby is still tied to the way BAMA played offense when he was there. Game manager QB (McElroy, McCarron, Coker), power run game with play action pass off of it, and lights out defense. Saban changed with the game. Kirby hasn’t caught up yet. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But where’s he going to transfer from?

I don’t really understand why he committed to Texas so early in the first place. This was always a make or break season for Texas. Why not wait until the season was over?

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Yeah there’s a bunch of UGA fans still mad about that. Their next athletic QB, D’wan Mathis, entered the transfer portal this week. I think Kirby is still tied to the way BAMA played offense when he was there. Game manager QB (McElroy, McCarron, Coker), power run game with play action pass off of it, and lights out defense. Saban changed with the game. Kirby hasn’t caught up yet. 

They should be mad.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:10 AM, DB2point0 said:

The right coach stops a lot of these blue chip Texas kids from going to Alabama and Ohio State.  Meyer does just that.  

Charlie Strong was hired by an AD that shouldn’t have been there.  That AD was hired to push out coaches that had gotten stale.  He did the dirty work for Powers so Powers didn’t have to.  

meyer may have health problems, but evidently they’re not the reason he isn’t coaching.  They’ve been used as an excuse before.  

Texas wasn’t the only program looking to hire Tom Herman at the time either. He was one of the hottest young coaches in the country.  I personally think he lost his edge once he got to Texas.  Instead of being aggressive (which he has been at times), he started playing not to lose.  It cost him.  Now he’s crossed with the people that financially back the athletics program.  

so if Saban retired today, you’d think it’s asanine to offer Dabo or Urban (the other two best proven coaches) more money than they’re making to stay a premier program?  Or you’d be okay with dwindling to mediocrity?

I done bolded and highlighted the first point made and one of the main reasons I am all in on landing Meyer.

13 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I done bolded and highlighted the first point made and one of the main reasons I am all in on landing Meyer.

That’s the reason ole TrueBlue doesn’t like that.  Saban has pulled a lot of kids from Texas that were difference makers for him

7 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

That’s the reason ole TrueBlue doesn’t like that.  Saban has pulled a lot of kids from Texas that were difference makers for him

And he will continue getting a majority of the kids he wants. I’ll give you that a top-notch recruiter like Urban will keep some of those kids in state, but kids today are hard to fool. A lot of them will look at Urbana’s record of 4-5 years in one spot and bailing and look elsewhere. No matter how smooth Urban talks, he can’t manufacture more rings. The only guy with more rings than Nick Saban is buried about 150 yards from his office and has his own museum there. 

5 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

And he will continue getting a majority of the kids he wants. I’ll give you that a top-notch recruiter like Urban will keep some of those kids in state, but kids today are hard to fool. A lot of them will look at Urbana’s record of 4-5 years in one spot and bailing and look elsewhere. No matter how smooth Urban talks, he can’t manufacture more rings. The only guy with more rings than Nick Saban is buried about 150 yards from his office and has his own museum there. 

You’re saying he won’t produce another championship?  That’s highly possible.  

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You’re saying he won’t produce another championship?  That’s highly possible.  

He’ll need at least 3-4 more to catch Nick. I don’t think he will stay long enough to do that. And when he leaves, you’re assuming that the UT administration follows him with a home run hire. The same school that has made two quality hires in your lifetime. So, you throw the bank at Urban to get 5 good years and 1-2 rings. HOOK ‘EM! 

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Those blue chippers leaving are not the problem. 

The problem is Texas developing the blue chippers that they get.

You are correct!

57 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

He’ll need at least 3-4 more to catch Nick. I don’t think he will stay long enough to do that. And when he leaves, you’re assuming that the UT administration follows him with a home run hire. The same school that has made two quality hires in your lifetime. So, you throw the bank at Urban to get 5 good years and 1-2 rings. HOOK ‘EM! 

🤘

Congrats to the dribbling Horns on the tournament championship. Interesting stat I found. Texas has played North Carolina 12 times in the two schools history. All the games have been since 1990. Texas has a 9-3 record over the Tar Heels.

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Couple of responses to this.

1) I disagree that Meyer needs 3-4 more to catch Saban. If you’re referring strictly to number of rings, then yes. If you’re saying he needs 3-4 more to be on the same level, then I disagree. 
2) It’s been 10 years already since Texas was truly relevant, and as it appears right now, that isn’t changing anytime soon. So if Meyer were to come in, give 5 years with 1-2 rings (which would be 5 great years, not just good), then I think any program in the country would sign up for that. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

So if Meyer were to come in, give 5 years with 1-2 rings (which would be 5 great years, not just good), then I think any program in the country would sign up for that. 

To be fair: if you could guarantee Urban could win 2 nattys and give OU five great seasons, I'd trade him for Riley. Straight up. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Alabama before Nick did not do so good in hiring also. Now Nick is getting on up there in age and won't be there forever. Let's wait and see if they go and hire another Curry or Shula to take his place. Roll Tide.

1 minute ago, 514 said:

Alabama before Nick did not do so good in hiring also. Now Nick is getting on up there in age and won't be there forever. Let's wait and see if they go and hire another Curry or Shula to take his place. Roll Tide.

I thought they were getting there with Shula, it was a bit gradual (probably too "gradual" for 'Bama nation), but they seemed to be getting there. Obviously they couldn't pass up Saban when the opportunity presented itself. 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

To be fair: if you could guarantee Urban could win 2 nattys and give OU five great seasons, I'd trade him for Riley. Straight up. 

Right! Who wouldn’t, lol. I mean, other than Clemson and Bama, I’d bet anyone in the country would. 

• Like 1

I really don't mean to knock on Shula to hard but he is not Nick. My point is that it can be hit and miss going after the homerun hires. One never knows what your going to get right out of the bat and will the admin have the patience to wait like VT on Beamer or FSU on Bowden. Bama has not been perfect in this process either. They struck Gold with Nick and the Bear. Texas stuck gold with Royal and did just Ok with Mack.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 514 said:

I really don't mean to knock on Shula to hard but he is not Nick. My point is that it can be hit and miss going after the homerun hires. One never knows what your going to get right out of the bat and will the admin have the patience to wait like VT on Beamer or FSU on Bowden. Bama has not been perfect in this process either. They struck Gold with Nick and the Bear. Texas stuck gold with Royal and did just Ok with Mack.

Same with Dabo. It took about 6 years before Clemson became the power they’ve been the last 5. 

Just now, Lobo97 said:

Same with Dabo. It took about 6 years before Clemson became the power they’ve been the last 5. 

Yes that's a good example. Good patience by Clemson and they have been rewarded.

12 minutes ago, 514 said:

You bet your ### they did. OU shoulda hired Royal in 1960. Bud had obviously peaked, and Royal was scorching hot after bringing Texas back to the Cotton Bowl. The regents could've money-whipped him to come back to his alma mater.