๐ŸŸ  Longhorns 2020 thread

38 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Okay but that still doesn't make Texas the best job in the country... They are likely to stick with a coach they have all but neutered publicly because they can't lure anyone better away from the job. Nothing about that screams Texas is the best job in the country.ย 

There you go again..

20 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

It could easily be the best job in the country. ย Mack even alluded that it was. ย The ones that make it potentially the best job are also the ones that cause it to not be though

Well if Mack said it...ย 

Mario Christobal would be interesting IMO.ย  Oregons's results so far this year give some pause, but if he nailed the coordinator hires I think he'd be good.ย  He's a legit recruiter, knows how to "play the game" in recruiting, and if nothing else would get theย OL situation fixed.

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

Which is exactly why the Texas "job" is not as desirable as you guys think it is. Its not a top 5 job in college football. Its a headache with resources that may or not be worth the trouble.ย 

ย 

WET, if A&M that has never won anything can get Jimbo, why do you think Texaa can't go and get someone atleast at his level???

6 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

WET, if A&M that has never won anything can get Jimbo, why do you think Texaa can't go and get someone atleast at his level???

Who is on the market at his level? A&M caught a perfect storm with Jimbo. He wasn't getting what he wanted from FSU, and the FSU didn't let Jimbo use A&M as a bargaining chip.ย 

Name another coach on that level with financial constraints within their program.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Because you still don't get it. How "good" a job is has nothing to do with win totals. Its about resources. There's not 1 thing that Texas offers that A&M does not but wins from decades ago. In terms of money, facilities, donor support, in state talent, current roster talent... There's nothing Texas offers that A&M doesn't. But there is something That a&M at the moment offers that Texas does not. Direction. When Jimbo was hired there was a clear plan in place and from the top down everyone bought in including every donor. Thats not the case with Texas right now. Too many people want a say. Too many people think they deserve to call the shots. Too many people are blinded by a win total under mack that they don't realize thats the exception not the normal in terms of Texas and their history.ย 

ย 

And the difference between the two is Jimbo is at A&M right now. If you think Texas can go get someone on that level, then do it. But the truth is that job isn't worth what you think it is. Sure there are resources, but there are resources at a dozen schools and its going to take the perfect time and opportunity to bring someone away from one of those.ย 

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

It could easily be the best job in the country. ย Mack even alluded that it was. ย The ones that make it potentially the best job are also the ones that cause it to not be though

If you are saying that the big money folks make the job a headache by constantly meddling and thinking that their donations buy them a say in how the program is run, then I agree.ย 

8 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

If you are saying that the big money folks make the job a headache by constantly meddling and thinking that their donations buy them a say in how the program is run, then I agree.ย 

Thatโ€™s exactly what I mean. ย Do you think Saban has to entertain donors at their behest? ย I seriously doubt it

46 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Thatโ€™s exactly what I mean. ย Do you think Saban has to entertain donors at their behest? ย I seriously doubt it

Hell, even Riley doesn't, and he doesn't have near the skins on the wall as the Great Satan himself.ย 

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Which is why I don't think Meyer would've done well there. He's a killer coach but he's kind of a jerk. You have to have a guy who can play the politician role. Mack Brown was perfect for that.

This is a monster Mack created. His ability to be a politician and gladhand the boosters started giving those guys more power than they deserved. When new guys came in, they continued to operate with that sense of entitlement...

Same thing happened at USC under Carroll I feel like, and they haven't been able to fully recover...

Miami is another one of those cautionary tales, but theirs is more to do with the boosters getting the program in trouble...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Which is why I don't think Meyer would've done well there. He's a killer coach but he's kind of a jerk. You have to have a guy who can play the politician role. Mack Brown was perfect for that.

They need a jerk who can win. Put the boosters in their place. They will stay happy if he can bring back 10-win seasons and championships...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LOL said:

I kinda agree with this, and at the same time I kinda want to see what GP could do with UT's recruiting resources. Kind of a morbid fascination...ย 

I kinda think GP has "old man talked" a little too much in this last 2 years to fit into "UT culture", especially now. there seems to have been multiple incidents where even the higher ups at TCU would knit their brow at him a bit but he's just been there too long to cut him loose without a "Bobby Knight total meltdown".

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Take it with a grain of salt. Still interesting.

CDD634CE-8C0C-4ADA-9041-22325A4770FC.jpeg

###...that would totally tank the TEXAS recruiting class though. surely the UT higher up's have to realize that this is not an ideal situation. the Horns have holes to fill and need a good class and need to steal some guys back. if they named Urban...I bet four to five 5-stars bounce over FAST!!!

3 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

###...that would totally tank the TEXAS recruiting class though. surely the UT higher up's have to realize that this is not an ideal situation. the Horns have holes to fill and need a good class and need to steal some guys back. if they named Urban...I bet four to five 5-stars bounce over FAST!!!

4-5 five stars? So Texas finishes likely number 1 in the country? Take a chill pill bro. Texas might swing a player or 2, but 5 Five stars is delusional.